Start by marking “A Tale of Two Beasts” as Want to Read:
A Tale of Two Beasts

A Tale of Two Beasts

A little girl rescues a strange beast in the woods and carries him safely home. But the beast is not happy and escapes! A funny and charming tale about seeing both sides of the story.
Published 2015 by Hodder

To ask other readers questions about A Tale of Two Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tale of Two Beasts

SurLeFur ©
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never heard of A Tale of Two Beasts before. I like stories about friendship and seeing the world in different ways, through different eyes.
Cora
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Per my second graders: I liked it because it was funny. It was funny when they were running in their underpants. I liked it because I liked how the illustrations looked, (proud teacher!!!).
Beth
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is just genius. It is called A Tale of Two Beasts because it is told from the little girl's point of view who finds a beast in the woods and takes him home. Then the exact same story is told from the beasts' perspective with the illustrations matching throughout the story. It was beautifully illustrated and both the little girl and the beast are so sweet. It is a wonderful story.
Meghan
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elm-572, fantasy
I absolutely adored this book! I thought the whole idea of this book is very engaging for young readers. This would be a wonderful book to introduce kindergarten students to how a story can be told from different perspectives. I think this book allows children to see how some people might view events completely different from others. This book allows students to have an imagination about how to write stories from different points of views. This book is silly and imaginative but also has a sweet ...more
Hannah
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is really fun and smart! Roberton tells the story of a young girl who comes across a small beast creature and takes it home to take care of it but can't understand why it doesn't seem happy with her. Then the story is told from the creature's point-of-view, and the girl seems like the mean, strange one in that version. This book is a great way to teach children why taking wild animals home isn't always good, but it's good fun!
Angelina
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book deserves an extra star for the interesting idea to tell the story from two different perspectives.
Zach
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Tale of Two Beasts is the classic tale of not judging a book, or this in case, one's actions by the cover. The book makes the interesting decision of telling the story twice, from the prospective of a girl "taming" her new pet and her new "pet" trying to escape from the "beast" that is attempting to tame it. The artist uses bright colors and over exaggerated features to convey the emotions both parties feel, adding the ability for children to understand a deeper subtext and aspect of the book. ...more
Sheena
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great fantasy story! Grades 3-5 would really benefit from this story. In this book, a tale is is told from two perspectives who each consider each other as a "beast". Each of the main character tells their own story of how they met and what happened during their interaction with each other. This story depicts how we as humans often use first impressions as the last impression but that should never be the case. The main characters in the story look at each other as beasts and determine ...more
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a print copy of this title for review from Hachette Australia.

Ten Second Synopsis:
A young girl befriends a squirrel-thing and takes it home to be her pet. The squirrel-thing sees things differently. Accusations of squirrel-thing-napping ensue.

This book is a clever lesson in looking at things from someone else’s perspective. Apart from the delightful illustrations and the priceless facial expressions of the squirrel-bat-wolf creature, this book has a unique format that tells the girl’s
Kristina Jean Lareau
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book, with two opposing narratives, is a bit of genius. The nods to Twain do not go unnoticed, and the crisp, clean artwork makes the narrative that much more interesting.
Kaitlyn Smith
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
This fantasy text, first tells the story of a young little girl and how she discovers a strange little beast. She cares for him and treats him as if he were her own pet (she gives him a bath, takes him on walks, feeds him nuts, etc.). That night he escapes, however, after some time he returns in the window of the young girls room. Though this may seem like this is the end of the story, it's not!! The story then goes on to tell the 'little beast's' side of the story. From his perspective, the lit ...more
Jeremy
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books-25
The book is written in two parts; one from the perspective of a young girl and the other from the perspective of a squirrel. Overall the story is entertaining and engaging.
The Tale of Two Beasts is an amazing text to use while exploring perspectives. One of the best examples of perspectives within a story for readers. I highly recommend using this text in the classroom to help students understand and identify the importance of perspective taking.
Krissy Neddo
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
When teachers ask for a book with different perspectives this may work. Wolf's expressions are hilarious, but sadly a bit too small for the kids in the back row to see clearly during a whole class read aloud. Book itself is good sized. I kept expecting this to be some sort of a fractured prequel to Little Red Riding Hood. Kids loved the wolf's part the best.
James
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A good story about perspective. The same story is told from the perspective of a girl finding a "beast" in the woods and taking it home as a pet and then from the perspective of an animal being captured by a "beast" and taken to its lair.
Tori
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I loved that this was effectively two stories in one, but really the same story from two different points of view. It really drives home the point that any two people (or beasts!) can view the same situation so differently.
Amy
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how this book shows two different sides of the story. This is a good message and lesson for kids to learn at an early age especially in the generation of entitlement and egocentrism. And such cute illustrations keep my daughter occupied the entire way through. Highly recommend
JoAnne Styger
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a unique and fun picture book! In the first portion, a little girl finds an animal in the woods and "adopts" him. In the second portion, the story is retold from the animal's perspective!
Wendy
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute story told from two perspectives. A well-meaning little girl believes she has rescued a wild animal by taking him home, and bathing, dressing, and feeding him. He has quite another perspective on that subject. A great short book to illustrate the concept of perspectives.
Marcie
I loved this and don't know how I missed it as "Wanted the Perfect Pet" is one of my all time favorite read alouds. How wonderful that Sarah Silverman has read it for Storylineonline. I love that SAG gives these gifts to kids.
Abbey
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I loved this book. Part One is the story of the little girl who saves a wild animal. Part Two is the story of the wild animal who is kidnapped by a beastly little girl. One story; two perspectives. Easy for 1st and 2nd graders to understand and discuss.
Samantha
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Such a cute story! We loved the two different perspectives starting with the girl and ending with the beast. The illustrations were simple but very cute and engaging. Immediately after finishing the kids asked to read it again so that’s definitely a win here.
Stephanie
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love the illustrations. A great book for showing different points of view and different sides to a story.
Briony
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Super adorable! This is a great book to read about how the same situation can be viewed differently from two perspectives.
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it

Another thrift store find. An absolutely adorable book with equally adorable illustrations! I liked how both perspectives were told through humorous illustrations/text.
Julie
Great choice for teaching point of view
Pam  Page
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Perfect to talk about point of view!
Christy Broderick
A cute story about 2 different beasts...remember that there’s always 2 sides to a story 😬👍🏻
Adrianne Rosal
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute story about seeing both sides of a story.
Jennifer B.
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cute and thoughtful book for pet lovers and animal lovers.
Jane
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A creative and fun way to show that there ARE two sides to every story (and then there is the truth). Loved it! Will use it for read aloud this year for sure.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Planet Kindergarten
  • The Shape of My Heart
  • Black Dog
  • Faraway Fox
Fiona Roberton was born in Oxford, studied art and design in London and New York, and has worked and lived and travelled all over the world. Travelling is one of her favourite things.

She has kept the wolf from the door for a number of years by designing stuff, but has since befriended the wolf, and now has him to tea on Tuesdays. Sometimes, they go out.