Start by marking “Polar Day” as Want to Read:
Polar Day

Polar Day

(Polar Night #2)

The midnight sun bakes Fairbanks, Alaska as residents gather for the annual summer solstice baseball game. Amidst the revelry and raucous shouts of “Play ball,” a spark alights and a jogger bursts into flames. Detective Danny Fitzpatrick, still reeling from his near death at the hands of vampire Aleksei Nechayev, watches in horror as the man burns alive.

Someone is burning
Published February 5th 2015 by Ink Smith Publishing (first published February 4th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Polar Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Polar Day

Susan Swiderski
In a perfect follow-up to her earlier "Polar Night", which plunged readers into a terrifying world of frigid arctic darkness, Flanders now exposes readers to a sizzling terror under Alaska's relentless midnight sun. In the midst of Fairbanks' record-smashing heat wave, several people have burst into flames and died an excruciating death. Detective Danny Fitzpatrick saw a strange shadow in front of one of the victims before smoke started to emanate from his body, and other witnesses heard a man's ...more
Noreen Hutchinson
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
just like all of her books I have loved them. Its well written and the book draws you in so much that you will have trouble to put it down. It is a great read so just go a head and give her books a try.
Yolanda Renee
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spring arrives in Fairbanks, Alaska, and its citizens are looking forward to the warmer temperatures, but not the blast of heat from hell that greets them in Polar Day, by Julie Flanders.

Detective Danny Fitzpatrick has survived his first winter in the frozen north and still questions the things he’d witnessed in Polar Night, the first book by Ms. Flanders. But he barely has time to figure out that truth, when suddenly the citizens of Fairbanks are being burned alive. Seemingly from the inside o
Lilian Flesher
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: completed-reads
Another wonderfully dark and twisted book by Julie Flanders and a great follow-up to her debut book Polar Night. Julie Flanders has a way of bringing you mystery and terror at the same time while set up another great scene for you. She sets it up in Alaska during the midnight hours when the sun never sets and you never know what will happen next.

Flanders brings back the lovable Detective Danny Fitzpatrick with his keen instincts and his flaws. Danny and his partner Tessa must find out why the re
Christine Rains
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It starts with a jogger bursting into flames. Detective Danny Fitzpatrick can't figure out how it ignited and neither can the police arsonist specialist. The case doesn't make any sense, but Danny has met with a monster before. If there's no logical explanation for the fires, he must search outside the box. And as much as he hates it, the only one that might be able to help him is the vampire Aleksei Nechayev, the monster that still haunts his dreams.

An excellent sequel to Polar Night with plent
Nick Wilford
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Detective Danny Fitzpatrick is back in this superb sequel to Polar Night. Alaska is certainly a land of extremes, and while the first book took place in almost perpetual darkness, this one is set in the scorching midnight sun as Alaska sweats through an unprecedented heatwave.

Danny has come to terms with the fact vampires exist, but now he has another unexplained phenomenon on his hands. People are bursting into flames while minding their own business and suffering horrific deaths, and the polic
Cathrina Constantine
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Julie Flander's has a deliciously twisted mind. And I say that as a compliment! Ms. Flanders weaves a tale of magical horror that made me cringe.
From her debut novel, Polar Night to her prequel, The Turnagain Arm, she's melded them all together in Polar Day.
As with her other books, her writing is flawless and has interesting facts concerning Alaska.
I really liked how the diabolical Aleksei Nechayev makes an appearance in Polar Day, and actually helps (in his arctic, vampy way) Danny in solving
Annalisa Crawford
Shelves: own
How do you fight a villain you can't see? That's the problem facing Danny Fitzpatrick and his partner Tessa Washington as they try to find the source of the fires plaguing their city.

Julie Flanders keeps the reader on the edge of their seat until the very end. I had no idea how this crime would be solved, and feared for the safety of the main characters from very early on.

What I like about this book - and Polar Night - is how the sense of living in perpertual daylight - or nighttime - was convey
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was fun to read from beginning to end. I loved that the author is good enough to make a compelling story with supernatural elements and not feel the need to fall back on any tired old formulas. It's a relatively quick read and well worth the time. I would recommend it.
Bernie
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. I have never been to Alaska but the setting is perfect for the story. The book portrays the struggle of the supernatural's impact on the mundane world very well. I look forward to more books from the author.
Jackie
Rhonda
Tammy Pooser
Ainy K
  • Progeny (Progeny, #1)
  • Collier (Phantom Lives, #1)
  • Werewolf Sanctuary (Wolf Maiden Chronicles, #1)
  • The Johnson Project
  • These Hellish Happenings
  • The Warehouse
  • The Ghost Ship
  • Quantum Web (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #2)
  • Ghost Guard
  • Operation Hero
  • The Eighth Day
  • The Rhine Maiden
  • Moon Mask
  • Spooks and Magic (Alana Weatherbee, #2)
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • The Bridge (Isaac’s Story: London, #1)
  • Sub-Sahara
  • Kidnapped (Tara Shores, #2)
I am a librarian and writer in Cincinnati, Ohio. I am also a Game of Thrones addict and a slightly obsessive Ohio State Buckeye fan. In addition, I am an animal lover and a rescue advocate and I share my home with my rescued dog and cat.

My debut children's book, Baby Moo's Great Escape, was published in 2016 and its sequel, Baby Moo Goes to Hollywood, will be released in 2018. My novels include t

Polar Night (3 books)