Start by marking “Southern Spirits (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Southern Spirits (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #1)

Southern Spirits

(Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  6,867 ratings  ·  1,011 reviews
When out of work graphic designer Verity Long accidentally traps a ghost on her property, she’s saddled with more than a supernatural sidekick—she gains the ability to see spirits. It leads to an offer she can’t refuse from the town’s bad boy, the brother of her ex and the last man she should ever partner with.

Ellis Wydell is in possession of a stunning historic property h
Published January 21st 2015 by Angie Fox (first published January 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Southern Spirits, please sign up.

♛✨  Christine ♛✨
Southern Spirits is perfect for anyone in the mood for a mystery involving paranormal, romance action and fun.

This novel has everything…
Humour!
Ghosts!
Mystery!
Suspense!
One resident bad boy you just have to fall in love with!

Verity is strong, sassy, entertaining and could pass as a detective. She is an amazing heroine that many readers will adore!

This story is a very smooth novel to read. It will leave you absolutely breathless with laughter!
A very intriguing and stunning read! The whole novel co
Montzalee Wittmann
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Southern Spirits by Angie Fox
Narrated by Tavia Gillett
This is such a fun and funny book. It is clever, witty, has great ghosts, mysteries, wonderful dialogue, and so much humor thrown in that I was giggling like a school girl.
The narrator was so good at talking as if she was terrified with a trembling voice, and still say something snarling or witty, and continue with the terrified conversation! She made it sound hilarious! This narrator really took this book far! I don't think it would have be
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

3.5 Stars!

I ended up enjoying this story quite a bit. I decided to pick this book up because I was in the mood for a light, easy read. This book filled that order quite nicely. I caught myself smiling a few times during the story and I just loved the fact that the main character, Verity, has a pet skunk. What really caught my eye with this book was the paranormal aspect. I tend to love to read about anything that falls into that category so I
Nadia

This is me after finishing Southern Spirits

Angie Fox is a new to me author, so I was a bit sceptical starting Southern Spirits, but couple of pages in, my scepticism was forgotten and now, I can't wait for the sequel to come out.

The story is easy to read and follow, and quite addictive. From the first page on, it gripped my attention, I had to see what would happen next and I kept thinking just one more page or just this chapter.
I ended up reading till the wee hours.

We see everything with Veri
Marta Cox
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
Confession time, I made a huge boo boo and started this series from the second book by mistake, oops! So it's with great delight that I've finally got the back story on Verity, Ellis and of course Frankie the frequently inappropriate and very non PC ghost. Set in the south this southern belle may be a thoroughly modern miss but she's also brave, witty and not above putting herself in danger to help those who need it be they dead or alive!
Now let's be honest if you discovered your fiancée was a c
Sherwood Smith
A cozy mystery with ghosts!

Verity is about to lose the house her grandmother left her because she is dead broke, sued by the cheating rot-crawler she was going to marry. It didn't help that she dumped him at the altar, and to make sure he got the message, showed up at the reception to smash cake into his face. Unfortunately his family is prominent in Sugarland, and so she's pretty much toast.

While cleaning the last of the items after her auction, she finds an odd urn, tries to scrub it out . . .
Ian
Cute and quirky.
A Southern Belle.
Ghosts.

They're things I find hard to resist.
Put all three in a book and I'll probably buy it but calling a spade a spade, nine times out of ten they end up somewhere between monotonous and infuriating.

Then along comes a book like this which reminds me just how great the genre can be.
Dee Arr
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Months ago, I downloaded this book on a whim and it has been gathering electronic dust until a few days ago when I decided to give it a try. Fortunately, it has turned out to be a nice surprise.

Author Angie Fox’s quick-thinking female protagonist Verity was the main reason I enjoyed this book. She is quick without being snarky, a trait most fictional characters find hard to master. The humorous asides began on the first page of the book: “Grandma had said it made gossip travel even faster, the w
Jasmin Jace
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Just wow! I finally found a book that took me out of my reading slump! And, what made me happier is that it's a series! Which means I could still be with these amazing characters for a longer time.

Paranormal romance is the genre that made me fall in love with reading and this book just reminded me why I fell in love with it at the first place. It's the only genre that could give me the total escape from reality that I want and for this reason, I have higher criteria of satisfaction when it
Melike
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
3.5 stars. Thoroughly entertaining cozy mystery. I will definitely continue with the series.
Meigan
Poor Verity Long just can't catch a break. After leaving her fiancé at the alter on the heels of some disturbing circumstances, Verity was forced to pay for the wedding that never happened, thanks to her bitter and vindictive would-have-been mother-in-law. On the brink of losing her ancestral home, her grandma's antebellum mansion, Verity is now the laughingstock and resident outcast of Sugarland, Tennessee. Once a thriving graphic designer, no one will hire Verity. Poor (literally and figurativ ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy
SOUTHERN SPIRITS is a fun and surprisingly fast read. I enjoy some quirk in these light paranormal stories and this book is full of quirks from Verity's pet skunk to the many types of ghosts with their own odd issues and relationships. The story follows Verity on her attempt to solve a decades old murder mystery in order to get money to pay off her debt and keep her house. There is a ton of action and suspense along with a pretty clever bad guy reveal t
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh, what fun!

Here's a delicious new light paranormal mystery series for you! Featuring a delightful and somewhat misunderstood heroine, helpful (and not-so helpful) ghosts, a budding romance AND a plot so well done I didn't guess the bad guy! Consider me a happy camper!

If you enjoyed H.P. Mallory's series of a similar theme from last year (first book: Ghouls Rush In), you'll love this too!
Susana
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Susana by: Isa Lavinia
Shelves: 2017-reads
3.5 Stars
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"
3 stars

I've had this one on my TBR pile for a while. I almost DNF'd in the beginning. However, I kept reading and I'm glad I did. There quite a few reviews (1 star - 5 star) for this book and are much better in explaining the details. I liked the tension between Ellis and Verity - and while it might have been obvious to other readers, I was surprised about the "villain." I also liked that Verity actually communicates with the ghosts. Not quite sure why some move on and some don't. I will read th
Leigh

I received this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Southern Spirits is the first book in Angie Fox's new series Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries. I enjoy her other series Demon Slayer, so I thought I would give it a try. I'm so glad I did.

Verity Long is a little down on her luck. That will happen when you refuse to marry your fiancé, who happens to be from one of the most influential families in your small town. It turns out that a man scorned can be just as vindictive as a woman. T
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries series by Angie Fox. Verity Long dumped her fiancé at the altar with good reasons but that doesn't stop his family from suing her and now she faces the loss of her home in the upcoming days. When she traps a ghost to her property she thinks she has a way to save her home.

I saw it listed as a cozy mystery so I wasn't expecting a romance but there is a romantic element in the story. I will certainly continue the series. It was a fun read.
Sharon
Apr 03, 2017 is currently reading it
Shitty week = drown myself in cutesie books like this
Ira
Not sure how to write a review for this one:)

A well written story and currently FREE on Amazon, get your copy quick because it was good:)

Our heroine Verity, accidentally trap Frankie, a ghost of 1920's gangster who died because someone shot him between his eyes. He was well dress and wearing Panama hat, and talked like a typical baddie from a vintage movie, it's funny after you pass the spooky bits when he appeared.

Frankie not happy when he find out Verity wanted to sell the house, because he wa
Alan
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Assisted by a ghost, Verity Long goes on a treasure hunt to pay off her debts and along the way solves some cold-case murders.

In this fast-paced, paranormal mystery, Fox gives us a quick thinking, witty protagonist we really care about and utterly delightful secondary characters. Fox's Southern setting are vivid. And her humor is spot on.

A light, fun read.
~Mindy Lynn~
Amazon freebie 7/14/17
Jen
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This book took maybe a chapter to get into and then I was hooked and couldn't put it down. This was a one-sitting book for me and I RARELY have time to do that. This book had humor and danger and mystery and a gangster ghost from the 20s. What more could a reader possibly want?

Oh, yeah, a hunky sheriff who needed the MC to help him with his poltergeist problem. Always a positive!

The secondary characters were used well, but I would love to get to know them better in future books. The sister espec
Plot Monster
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Southern Spirits by Angie Fox is a refreshingly fun paranormal cozy mystery. It is a fast, easy read that leaves you wanting more. Lucky for you this is just the first in a series. It is not particularly scary so if you are looking for horror, this is not the book for you. However, it is full of quirky humor and southern sass.

After the first few pages I thought, "Oh, no. This is going to be bad." But, I was wrong. Keep going. It definitely picks up.

If you enjoy cozy mysteries you will love South
Jenn
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun ghost story

I started to read this book last night and finished it this afternoon. This was a fun easy read that I really enjoyed.
Debbie Brown
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars

Very cute, light read that's part ghost story, part mystery, part romance, and part comedy.

As the first in a multi-book series (each of which, I believe, can be read as a stand-alone), the first part of this one establishes the premise. Verity Long of Sugarland, Tennessee accidentally awakens the spirit of Frankie the German, a 1920s gangster when he was alive. He died from a bullet in his forehead and still has the hole in his head to prove it. Due to Verity's error, he
Tara♥
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it

Cute read.

The writing was a bit clunky so the story moved in a weird kind of way but I’d like to give the next one a go!
Morris
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Southern Spirits” is the perfect cozy mystery for a rainy winter’s day. There is plenty of humor, a pet skunk, and southern charm, along with the beginning of what promises to be a steamy romance. Don’t be fooled, though, as there were some legitimate scares to be found. A really fun adult mystery read!

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
JoAn
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Southern Spirits by Angie Fox is the first book in her new series, Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries. This book was so much fun to read that I hated to put it down until the end.
Verity Long is strong, sassy, compassionate and determined. She dumped her fiancee after finding out he had been cheating on her and other disgusting things. Unfortunately, she now has to pay for the wedding that didn't happen and she doesn't have the money. She has sold everything she owns and the family home is up next.
Kristina
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Southern Spirits by Angie Fox is a just a delightful cozy mystery. Verity Long is not having a good year. She broke off her wedding to Beau Wydell after catching him with another woman (again). Beau and his mother sue Verity for the cost of the wedding and she is forced to sell off everything she owns. While rinsing out a vase that Verity thought was full of dust, she meets Frankie the German. Frankie is a gangster ghost from the 1920’s. The vase turns out to be his urn and Verity just washed hi ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #20 - Southern Spirits 1 3 Jan 26, 2016 10:09AM
  • The Christmas Witch (Wicked Witches of the Midwest Shorts, #5)
  • A Skeleton in the Family (Family Skeleton Mystery #1)
  • A Charming Christmas (Magical Cures Mystery, #6.5)
  • Dressed to Kill (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #4)
  • Big Hair and Flying Cows (Sweet Meadow, #1)
  • Ghost in the Polka Dot Bikini (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #2)
  • A Spirited Tail (Mystic Notch Cozy Mystery, #2)
  • Some Like It Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #5)
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #5)
  • Look Both Ways (Witch City Mystery, #3)
  • Lowcountry Boneyard (Liz Talbot Mystery, #3)
  • Winterborne (Universe Unbound, #1)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Karma Marx, #1)
  • Dead Suite (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #4)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Angie Fox writes sweet, fun, action-packed mysteries. Her characters are clever and fearless, but in real life, Angie is afraid of basements, bees, and going up stairs when it is dark behind her. Let’s face it. Angie wouldn’t last five minutes in one of her books.

Angie is best known for her SOUTHERN SPIRITS™ mysteries, and for her ACCIDENTAL DEMON S

Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries (7 books)
  • The Skeleton in the Closet (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #2)
  • The Haunted Heist (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #3)
  • Deader Homes and Gardens (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #4)
  • Sweet Tea and Spirits (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #5)
  • Murder on the Sugarland Express (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #6)
  • Pecan Pies and Dead Guys (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #7)
“if you wanted something done—come hell or high water—you leave it to a southern girl.” 4 likes
“Less than a year ago, my life had been so simple. I had a nice little freelance design business going. I was marrying a man I thought I loved. And then --poof. Ghosts in my kitchen and ramen for breakfast.” 3 likes