Start by marking “Public Service” as Want to Read:
Public Service

Public Service

What would happen if you lost your job?

How would you pay the car loan, mortgage, medical bills, and put food on the table?

What if you discovered a conspiracy to give someone else your job?

Would you roll over, try to re-train and start over or would you fight to save your job and your family?

How far would you go?

Moreover, how well do you know the person who works beside you
Published January 11th 2015 by Colin Knight (first published January 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Public Service, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Public Service

Start your review of Public Service
Readsandeats
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book as I won a giveaway on Good Reads. All the thoughts in this review are my own and in no way influenced by anyone.

I did like this book, it was written from the perspective of the main character for most of the book which I found interesting.
The premise of this book is that there have been a number of members of the Canadian Inland Security Secretariat murdered and those that are still alive have been brought to Ottawa Police HQ to protect them. We are not told about the othe
Lizenbyl
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the book as the story was told from the first person prospective. As I manage a large work group, I was very interested in the office "politics" from this writer's perspective. I would read another book by this auther.
Clare Fagan
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another very interesting read by Colin Knight, very creative. I am sure so many people can relate to the stories in this book about the real working world I know I could. A very different novel to what I normally read, however I have read two other books by Colin Knight that I really enjoyed reading so had to give this one a try. It makes you wonder what your co-workers are really thinking about their position in the corporate world and the lack of good leadership in so many organizations.

Very
Michael Clark
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not so polite Canadians, serial killers, oh my.

Intriguing shifting use of third and first person telling the story of a whole lot of political housecleaning. Story is engaging exploration of what happens when bureaucrats go bad, very bad. I found the changing voice used to tell the story well done, and developed a real sense of empathy for the protagonist.

Disclaimer: I received an advanced reader copy of this novel through GoodReads. This review is all my own reactions to the book, and received
Laura Poppenwimer
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very unusual plot where the main character is a public servant who kills his incompetent co-workers. The style is interesting, a chapter about the people while they were alive and then a chapter about the killing. The story moves along and even manages to elicit sympathy for the killer and a feeling of disgust at the workers killed, maybe they actually deserved. Disturbing and interesting at the same time. A very original storyline.
Rick Molitor
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story

This was a very different and interesting story. It was a compelling read. The story grabs your attention and holds it all the way through to a very interesting ending. It was an interesting perspective that holds your interest. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Kathy Church
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

This book was incredible. The ending was not at all what I expected. Can't say much more without this review being a spoiler. Will there be another book to follow this one.
Kathy
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Very interesting premise and well-written. Great flow to the story and good characters even though I couldn't like any one very much.
Juju
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ok read
Susan Quenneville
Set in Ottawa, this book was my read-at-bedtime one for the past few weeks. Glad to have finally finished it!
C
I don't know what to think about this book, it was mostly in the same setting. I mean it was good, perfect murder, however, I would read more of this Author.

Cherie'
Alexandra Isobel
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! I don't usually read outside of the romance genre but enjoyed this read. Don't want to give away spoilers but know you're in for some interesting twists from some intriguing characters!
Diane Griffiths
This book was interesting, but did not completely pull me into the story. There have been a lot of murders at one business, and the ones that were still alive were brought to the Ottawa Police HQ in order to protect them. Jeff tells us about the other members who are still alive and is the prime murder suspect.

It was interesting and a decent read. If you like mysteries you may like this one!
Sam Jones
Lavender
Feb 01, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, own, kindle
Placeholder

I won this book via Goodreads Giveaways.
Viju Chellamuthu
Dec 07, 2017

• War Stories: An Enlisted Marine In Vietnam
  • The Digital Helix: Transforming Your Organization's DNA to Thrive in the Digital Age
  • To Mend a Broken Heart
  • Detour from Normal
  • A Change of Hate
  • Spinner of Yarns
  • They're Off and Running: From Jockey to Starter
  • Violent Leadership: Be a Force for Change: Disrupt. Innovate. Energize.
  • The Birdwoman's Palate
  • Who Moved My Goat Cheese? (Farm-to-Fork Mystery #1)
  • Why Not?: Survive and Thrive
  • Slaughterhouse Rules: One Man's Success in Navigating Life, Hollywood, and The Corporate World
  • Things That Matter: Three Decades of Passions, Pastimes and Politics
  • The Third Twin
  • The Last Days for Bad Men (Brice Miller and Annie Youngblood #2)
  • Wood Buffalo
  • Rising Spirit (Jesse McDermitt Caribbean Adventure #16)
Colin Knight was born in Manchester, England to working class parents – his father painted houses and drove delivery trucks; his mother worked in a retirement home. He and his four siblings shared a small three-bedroom house on an unremarkable city owned housing estate ten miles from the city centre. From seven to sixteen years old, he held newspaper and milk delivery jobs, which he did, before sc ...more