Start by marking “The Witches” as Want to Read:
The Witches

The Witches

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  246,132 Ratings  ·  5,535 Reviews
This Roald Dahl classic tells the scary, funny and imaginative tale of a seven-year-old boy who has a run-in with some real-life witches! "In fairy tales witches always wear silly black hats and black cloaks and they ride on broomsticks. But this is not a fairy tale. This is about REAL WITCHES. REAL WITCHES dress in ordinary clothes and look very much like ordinary women. ...more
Published August 16th 2007 by Turtleback Books (first published October 27th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Witches, please sign up.

Akshat Roxx the existence of witches cannot be explained as they are mythical creatures, these are not yet proved by anyone but several sightings have been…morethe existence of witches cannot be explained as they are mythical creatures, these are not yet proved by anyone but several sightings have been made....it is for you to decide wheteher they exist as they are perfectly hidden in the society....they may be anywhere....they might be ur neighbour or EVEN A MEMBER OF THIS WEBSITE GOODREADS......who knows!!(less)
Conor Nally It's completely fictional and it's a fantasy story.

Jessica
May 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Warning: Extremely Long Review and Childhood Storytelling

When I was ten or eleven, I was sitting in the playground at summer camp, minding my own business and reading this book, when one of the playground supervisers came and asked me what I was reading. When I showed it to him, his eyes got wide and he took the book from me. Then he went to the trash can and started ripping it up, page by page. And he washed his hands afterwards, "to get rid of the filth." It was a library book. He was just goi
Wendy Darling
Re-read for our classics discussion Friday 10/30! Still had me giggling from the very first chapter.
Starjustin
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know what to expect when I started this book. Believe it or not, this is the very first Roald Dahl book that I have experienced. I enjoyed this book tremendously. This chapter book tells a story of a grandma, a grandson, and their journey together is ridding the world of 'real' witches and saving the world's children. I will be reading more of this author for sure. I would recommend this book to everyone. It is a fun read and well worth the experience!
James
Roald Dahl is in my top 3 of favorite children's authors. I had read a few of his books as a child, but most of my exposure occurred as a young adult and while in college.

The Witches was actually a book I read after the movie with Anjelica Huston was produced. I am a huge fan of her work, and when she appeared in this movie, I was fascinated with the story. I'd definitely recommend reading the book first as the movie takes the story so much further.

For one thing, the book has an unnamed narrator
Lola  Reviewer
The clever and courageous tale of a young boy and his spirited grandmother who fight witches together.
Lisa
"Down vith children! Do them in!
Boil their bones and fry their skin!
Bish them, sqvish them, bash them, mash them!
Brrreak them, shake them, slash them, smash them!
Offer chocs vith magic powder!"

Oh, thank goodness for the likes of Roald Dahl, who can combine the scary with the funny stuff and open a treasure chest of children's fairy-tales with all the wisdom humanity is capable of (which, of course, still is quite limited).

As a child, I was terrified and fascinated at the same time when I read t
Mariah
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently trying to read all of Roald Dahl's books! When reading this book I realized that I definitely read this when I was in elementary school :) It brought back some memories. I loved this book and the creativity and that Roald does with this story line.
Joe Valdez
My introduction to the fiction of Roald Dahl is The Witches and this is one of those books whose language and imagination are so exotic that I wanted to scribble down every paragraph, until the story pulled me in and I surrendered to its spell. Published in 1983 with illustrations by Quentin Blake, I was presented a 30th anniversary edition for Christmas--by a dear friend on Goodreads--which includes Blake's etchings. Without the mischievous charcoal drawings to accompany it, Dahl's text alone w ...more
Michael
I was a very sheltered child.

Or was I a wuss? I was probably a wuss.

For instance, when I was a little tot, Sammy Terry scared the shit out of me. I remember being frightened by commercials of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, and the one time I inadvertently saw part of a Friday the 13th movie on TV? Fogettaboutit. Nightmares for weeks.

But that all came later.

But this book. Oh, this was traumatic shit.

I was in preschool, probably 4 years old, when the teacher decided to read us The Witche
Michael Finocchiaro
The story of the young unnamed narrator and his grandmother living between Norway and England and affronting the Great Witch and her minions was delightful and fun. It would not be in my Top 5 of Dahl though (I appreciated the two Charlie books, the BFG, the Magic Finger and James and the Giant Peach more.) I love reading them to my kids in any case and getting all excited on what crazy twists the stories will take.
Too scary for kids? 72 338 Jan 09, 2018 10:47AM
Bustle Book Club ...: What are some of your favorite novels about witches? 16 189 Dec 05, 2017 08:01PM
help please 2 7 Jun 05, 2017 10:44AM
Around the Year i...: [April] The Witches, by Roald Dahl - Part 3 [spoilers] 10 36 Apr 29, 2017 07:28PM
Around the Year i...: [April] The Witches, by Roald Dahl - Part 2 [spoilers] 12 38 Apr 29, 2017 07:23PM
about the book 3 15 Jan 31, 2017 04:59AM
  • Pluk van de Petteflet
  • Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3)
  • The Great Ghost Rescue
  • Geef me de ruimte! (Trilogie over de 100 jarige oorlog, #1)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • Bony-Legs
  • The Eleventh Hour
  • Geheimen van het Wilde Woud  (De brief voor de koning #2)
  • De katten van Kruisem
  • The Fairy Rebel
  • The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • The Devil's Storybook
  • The Cut-Throat Celts

More about Roald Dahl...
“It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.” 1544 likes
“She might even be your lovely school-teacher who is reading these words to you at this very moment. Look carefully at that teacher. Perhaps she is smiling at the absurdity of such a suggestion. Don't let that put you off. It could be part of cleverness.

I am not, of course, telling you for one second that your teacher actually is a witch. All I am saying is that she might be one. It is most unlikely. But--here comes the big "but"--not impossible.”
196 likes