Start by marking “Breach” as Want to Read:
Breach

Breach

How secure are your secrets in the virtual world?  Weeks before pharma-giant Acel is ready to file a global patent application for cancer wonder-drug Colare, its offshore data centre in Mumbai is hacked. The charismatic, young leader of its Indian business, Dr Udai Vir Dhingra, finds himself being blamed for negligence and breach of security. Battling market pressures, med ...more
Published December 9th 2014 by Hachette India

To ask other readers questions about Breach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breach

Usha Narayanan
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From my blog: http://www.ushanarayanan.com/?p=1612

Colare. A miracle drug to cure late stage metastatic pancreatic cancer. The result of three years of research. An investment of one hundred million dollars. Slated to garner billions in revenue for pharma-giant Acel. Now was not the time for data to go awry…

With this laconic framework, Breach, by Amrita Chowdhury, takes off at the speed of light, or rather, the speed of a hacker’s cyber footprint. The action takes place across continents. In the
Shilpa Garg
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read some good reviews about this book and it truly deserves it. Breach is a well researched, page turning slick cyber thriller that keeps you glued till the very end.

Short chapters, each running into not more than two to three pages spread across various locations bring in multiple characters and take the story ahead at a fast pace. I have seen this style of writing in Ravi Subramanian’s books. It took me a few chapters to grasp what was happening, but soon it was easier to get into the
Sundari Venkatraman
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first cyber thriller that I have read and I must say that it’s been extremely well researched. I respect women authors absolutely. But that didn’t stop me from being surprised that it’s a woman who has written this book. My bad! Amrita Chowdhury has written one fabulous book that kept me biting my nails throughout. More than that, I skipped work one whole day, not going near my computer, as I wanted to finish reading this book. That hasn’t happened in years.

To begin with, the first
Ruchi Singh
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Breach is a fast paced, cyber thriller which takes on the digital data-theft rampage over virtual world, an insecure medium, its risks not understood by most.

The pharmaceutical company Acel, is getting ready to file a Global Patent for a medicine ‘Colare’, which could be answer for a deadly pancreatic cancer, but they discover that the offshore data centre in Mumbai has been hacked. Critical data is stolen and replaced by corrupted one. The young, charismatic leader, in-charge of its India Oper
Swathi Shenoy
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are just few weeks left for the filing of a global patent application for Colare, a cancer wonder drug by Acel when things start going awry. The data seems to have gone wrong from the Indian division. Upon closer inspection, an open port is found in the security system. The hacker is not only accessing data but also modifying it after copying out. Gives more reason for Andy to dislike the Indian centre of Acel, who has opposed creating one from the beginning. But who is doing it?

The Indi
Deepak
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading the eminently readable ‘Breach’ authored by Amrita Chowdhury. Loved it! Though in retrospect I feel that a little tighter proof reading would have made the book perfect.
It is a tale about how with increasing reliance on machines for developing, manufacturing and marketing lifesaving drugs, and the general trend towards outsourcing dehumanises the whole process of ‘life-saving’. How the noble thought of making drugs to rid the common man of diseases has become mercenary.
It
Reet Singh
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oooh! Amrita Chowdhury has taking it several notches above great - certainly this one is exponentially more gripping than her first book - Faking it.

Breach is fabulous. I enjoyed every little twist in the plot - not a boring moment! The language is impeccable, something I have come to expect from Amrita. The storytelling is so real, it frightened the wits out of me - every time I log on to the laptop, or visit a website using my smartphone, I quiver and quaver!

The characters - even the villains
Gayathri Manikandan
I did read that blurb before starting to read the book but I imagined it would just have a hint of technical stuff. Now, having read the book , am surprised at how much research and understanding should have gone behind it. Its a well-researched and well-executed cyber thriller with a refreshing plot. With a long-forgotten software engineer background, I kept wondering how much of this will a 'layman' reader understand but from the other reviews on goodreads, I believe the Author has passed with ...more
Nikita Jhanglani
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the publishing head of Harlequin writes a novel, you have to read it. When the publishing head of Harlequin writes a cyber mystery novel, you definitely have to read it.
The novel gets full marks for being well I written and well-structured. The story spans across the Indian and American time zones. It is also set across different points in time, with chapters organized in a chronological order-according to the date and time.
The story revolves around several primary, secondary, and tertiar
Akshay
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amrita Chowdhury's "Breach" explores the dark and dangerous underbelly of cyber crime in an increasingly virtual world which depends on the Internet for its existence. Spanning across continents, it is a detail driven fascinating thriller that blends together elements of real world data theft, counter surveillance, crisis managements and incident reconstruction to uncover the modus operandi and motives of criminals. Written in a fluid yet literary tone, Breach eerily reflects real world online t ...more
Summerita Rhayne
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breach is the second book by Amrita Chowdhury.

This is definitely a book worth reading – for its intensive look into how hacking can operate in diverse regions of the world ranging from the hi-tech US firm to the savvy young gen in India to kids in the metro slums.

That said, I’d describe this book as a collage. You get the theme but otherwise you get snapshots of characters, scenes and events, some of which are hidden from view and some in such a way that you can’t decipher them at all.
The conten
Jairam Mohan
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast paced book written in the style of Ravi Subramanian with small chapters keeping multiple threads of action moving at the same time. Although the book has more than its fair share of characters and the plot itself is reasonably complicated, full credit to the author for having made it simple for 'layperson' readers like myself who have only a superficial knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry and the entire 'industry' of hacking itself.
Munsif Husami
Quite interesting. Regretfully my copy is missing the last chapter and some. So I can't tell what I think of the full plot (gifted by someone so can't get it exchanged). But the writing is decent.
Anu Lal
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amrita Chowdhury
“Especially in a country with five hundred million below poverty line. That change in price meant life and death for many of them.” (13) Breach, Amrita Chowdhury.

Anu LalAnu Lal
Breach is a cyber thriller set in the heart of the growing IT industry in India. The novel unfolds life and times on the narrow edges of technology and hope. In her second attempt at fiction, author Amrita Chowdhury has a remarkable contribution to Indian fiction in English. A few years back another book c
Viju
At any point in time, there are these whodunit themed books that are unleashed by authors by the dozen. This has been a recurrent theme in books, and the plot is usually woven with the assistance a piece of technology from that particular era. The internet has surely undergone as transformation from the mid 90s till now and so have the books that used it as a plot tool. Breach by Amrita Chowdhury is a clever book that takes the internet, the security (or lack of it) of the servers over the inter ...more
Geeta Nair
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
WHAT I FELT ABOUT THE BOOK

Highs

The Cover : What caught my eye as soon as I received the book was the way the title was displayed. Moving away from convention, the same is written vertically. I wondered? But then on going through the book I found an explanation which I wonder is what the author/ publishers/ cover designer had in mind. To me it signified a breach right from the lowest level to the highest level. Interesting isn’t it?

Storyline: Interesting, intriguing, realistic and enaging.

Acel th
Inderpreet Uppal
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Breach is a thriller that actually managed to thrill the day lights out of me! It made me check my computer again and all my innocuous, decent friends look like nefarious hackers. Anyone with a decent grasp of computers made me wary and on my guard; suddenly I understood the need for many people to not share pictures and anecdotes about themselves.

Yes, I had been reading Breach and my complacency about the cyber world had been breached. I thanked my stars that I had always installed the latest a
Inderpreet Uppal
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Debraj Moulick
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Blog-https://debrajdpaideia.wordpress.com/...

Amrita Chowdhury’s Breach studies the dark side of Cyberworld.The world which is very much part of our daily routine.It is through this world wide web,the world is being managed.But what happens when the security of this world is challanged and compromised, leading to cat-mouse chase across the both sides of GMT. Chowdhury have done extensive research on the plot, which speaks about DATA loss from ACEL( a pharmaceutical Giant), only a week before
Sourabh Mukherjee
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my day job, I see my clients, mostly global pharmaceutical majors, call out data security as one of the key drivers for their enterprise information management programs. The topic is more relevant now than ever with clinical trials being conducted across the globe, with varying degrees of data security controls. Trials need to be fast in the face of competition, and blockbuster drugs are short-lived in the face of challenges posed by generics.

The premise of Breach is something I could instan
 Ashwini Gopalkrishnan
Breach is a superb book written by a very Talented Author Amrita Chowdhury .This book is written in Ravi Subramanian's style .Actually this book is fusion of Pharma and I.T. This book also explores dark and deadly side of virtual existences and how over use virtual media can create problems in people's life .Like it created in Vir's life .
The author has narrated this story in a fantastic way .The story stretches from Washington, Mumbai to Guangzhou .This story emphasis on cyber crime .How thing
Rubina
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Acel, a pharmaceutical company, has come out with a new wonder drug, Colare, that would cure last stage metastatic pancreatic cancer. Here Amrita Chowdhury has introduced a glimpse of outsourcing and how much the Indian companies have to be on their toes to meet up with the prejudices and angst of their American counterparts. Andrew Rudd, the Head of Research at Acel Biosciences, had a major peeve against Uday Vir Dhingra - the young leader in the Indian division. So it was on Vir's shoulder not ...more
Karishma
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent book, superb pacing and style. These are my thoughts, very briefly:

Pros:
- Thrilling. Sounds a bit obvious, but many so-called thrillers these days lack thrill.
- Pace doesn't let you stop for a minute.

Cons:
- Too much jargon. I reckon that many readers will have trouble understanding bits without specific domain knowledge.
- Too colloquial. This book has serious potential, but people who do not speak Hindi aren't going to understand chunks of the dialogue.
- There is a mismatch between
Divya Sharma
Jun 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I bought Amrita Chowdhury's Breach thinking it to be a regular thriller with little bit of cyber issues involved, but it turned out to be a hard core cyber crime story. Being not a tech savvy at all, I found it boring and too technical to digest in the beginning but slowly the thrill started to build and I actually found myself getting involved in it.

So the story sums up like this. Just few weeks before filing a global patent for a cancer drug 'Colare', team Acel finds something terribly wrong w
Janaki
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is one book that measures up to the International standards of story telling in terms research, plot and detailing.

This is the first cyber crime thriller that I have read which is written by an Indian Author and was completely drawn into the world of computers, codes, data and the ugly underworld of hacking and of course its repercussions.

As the Title suggests, there is a Breach in the computer data collecting system that holds the data for the new wonder-drug Colare, which was supposed t
Bhavya
Shelves: own-a-copy, tbc, indian
Breach is a fast paced cyber thriller, written in short chapters, with multiple twists and turns in the plot, yet simple enough to be understood by the average reader.

The chapters in this story are many, yet each chapter is of three or four pages max. The style is akin to that of Ravi Subramanian’s. If you can trust the author and swim on for the first few chapters, you will soon grasp the whole scenario and will be able to keep pace with the speed of Amrita’s storytelling.

The story is a well re
Vinay Leo
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review on A Bookworm’s Musing: http://wp.me/p2J8yh-2Mf

What I liked:
+ Cover design; felt very much interesting and simple
+ Short, crisp chapters
+ Fast paced and well written
+ Interesting, sometimes scary characters

What I didn’t like:
- The start is quite slow, takes time for the pace to pick up
- Lot of technical terms, went a bit over my head

A thriller that does manage to engage me as a reader once it picks up. A read that’s worth it, I feel.
Abhilash Mittapalli
best part of the book was the writing standard which I felt was far better than several Indian authors. Though the plot is good I think its potential is under utilized. Story doesn't progress in the second third of the book and things are revealed too abruptly in the end. overall the plot is predictable and book is definetly not a 'pure' cyber thriller. You will like it if it is your first novel in the cyber genre.
ALOP - A Lot of Pages
Link to the Book Review at ALOP

In the words of Nimue, "All in all , it is a well written and well researched book that will surely entertain every thriller lover."

RATING: 4 Stars