Start by marking “A Mansion, A Drag Queen, And A New Job (Deanna Oscar Paranormal Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
A Mansion, A Drag Queen, And A New Job (Deanna Oscar Paranormal Mystery #1)

A Mansion, A Drag Queen, And A New Job (Deanna Oscar Paranormal Mystery #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  285 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Psychic medium Deanna Oscar wants to be a normal psychology professor at a nice college. The universe has other ideas. When the grandmother she never knew dies and leaves her everything, Deanna enters a different world. In New Orleans anything goes and her psychic powers aren’t a secret. She doesn’t plan on staying but a psychic vision puts her on the trail of a killer. De ...more
Published January 6th 2015 by Amazon Digital Services (first published December 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Mansion, A Drag Queen, And A New Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mansion, A Drag Queen, And A New Job

Madison Warner Fairbanks
A Mansion, A Drag Queen and a New Job by C. C. Dragon

A cute psychic paranormal mystery series starter.
The heroine visits New Orleans and begins to actively use her psychic powers to help police find a killer. She is visited by multiple ghosts that both help and hinder the investigation.

Vaguely amusing in a “this is not my life” manner.
My question: Ghost Missy is a maid and keeps the mansion clean. She often delivers coffee and food to the heroine, yet the other characters are not able to see t
Annie Slasher (Booked & Loaded)
This is an original review from Booked & Loaded
I personally purchased this title. All opinions are my own and are not influenced in an way. Original rating ~ 3.5/5

A Mansion, A Drag Queen, and A New Job is the first book in C.C. Dragon's Deanna Oscar Paranormal Mystery series. This paranormal mystery read like a cozy and was an overall fun read.

A Mansion, A Drag Queen, and A New Job started out a bit slow, but picked up into a nice and enjoyable read. Deanna Oscar was a lovable character tha
Nancy D   Miz-Firefly aka Sparky  (Paranormal Junkie)
I only made it half way, and I've had enough.

The title sucked me in but the concept wasn't enough to keep me going. I don't like writing negative reviews. An author puts a lot of effort into a book. I don't want to kick sand on anybody, but this book was just a mess. I don't think it's fair to rate a book I didn't finish, but if I had to assign a number it'd be a 2. There was the promise of something that was never realized.

This probably is the first book C.C. Dragon wrote and it shows. The pre
Sheila
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Deanna Oscar inherits her grandmother's mansion in New Orleans along with her psychic ability. Deanna has visions where she sees little girls murdered. When she goes to the police they are leery of her but knowing her grandmother's reputation they listen to her eventually. She helps with the serial killer.

I enjoyed Deanna. She has not been told a lot by her parents who disowned her grandmother. When she realizes that she can help others with her abilities she does what she can. I liked that she
Krystyna
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reminiscent of Chucky.

Terrific. She has trained herself not to believe in ghosts as her childhood has been spent under many therapists care. However her forthcoming interview has her going to New Orleans and meeting the ghost of her departed grandmother. Throw in a mansion, a fortune, ghosts and a child killer into a read that will have you wondering about any items you got at yard sales. Drag queens and an ex priest are added for more dimensions to the tale. Wonderful characters, a great view o
NhaughtyV says Damn the Zon Save the Reviews
The title got me to one-click this story, and I'm glad I did. If you are looking for a fun quick read, I'd recommend this one. It has mystery, humor, and a wee bit of romance.

Fav quote:

“Great, Heaven had a Prime Directive. My youngest brother was a Star Trek addict so I was well versed in the Federation’s Noninterference Policy. I just never expected spirits had a similar code of conduct.”
Angela
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious from start to finish!!

I knew I'd love this book from the title, but I don't read a lot of "cozy mysteries". However, this book has changed my mind, although I'm a still big urban fantasy/paranormal romance fan.

A Mansion, A Drag Queen, And A New Job is a great distraction from my usual books. It was a very quick read, the plot moved along at a steady pace, and who DOESN'T love a book that has New Orleans, physics, and ghosts... with a sweet & sassy drag queen, an ex-priest/wannabe l
Mandy Parmenter
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I voluntarily reviewed this copy and I have not been compensated in any way.

Dr Deanna Oscar just wants to be a psychology professor in a normal college and ignore her psychic medium side. However there are other plans for her when a grandmother that she never knew leaves her everything including a haunted house containing haunted items, a stack of money and a weird selection of people (an ex-priest and a Latina drag queen) plus her neighbour who is a socialite beauty queen. Then she has a vision
Shannan
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's ten minutes to midnight and I just finished the book. The author has created a cat of characters that have already become like close personal friends.

Deanna is very relatable, especially when you consider she's a psychic medium, but since she grew up suppressing her gift she's kinda lost on how this whole thing works too. But between seeing ghosts / visions and the natural desire to help others found in those of the mental health profession, she can't help but be drawn to the murder of her
Fran
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 1 had some minor issues like spelling. Letters were sometimes missing fo instead of for, I instead of it or if, and other small things like that. But seriously that was the only thing wrong with this book. I loved everything else about it. It is equal parts amusing and serious. Mysterious and paranormal. A delightful combination and I honestly could not be more excited to read book two. The wonderful assortment of characters with promises of more to come are just beyond amazing! De is a psy ...more
Angie Hackett
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not one of the weirdest books I've read but it did feel a little weird.

It took me some time to get through this but that was more to do with life than this book. This was surprisingly well written and had really interesting characters. The plot was solid enough and I loved that it was set in New Orleans.

I did like how our heroine was sort of new to her psychic powers but not entirely new by virtue of having come into them early on. I liked the drag aspect of this book as it was dealt wi
Kiki Sidira
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-2017
I have had this book for more than two years in my shelves. Yet, I couldn't feel a pull towards it.

But, I have challenged myself to read outside my comfort box and limit the unread paperbacks that have stacked!

So, Deanna arrives in New Orleans and finds out, not only that her grandma has died but also, that she has inherited her mansion. A mansion that happens to be haunted.

Things start pilling up. Like a dead girl, unexpected ghosts, a drag queen that helps with the house, and a couple of men i
Teresa
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I had issues with this book, not going to lie to ya! But it gets five stars because it was engaging, the story paced out well, the dialogue seemed natural between the characters. You are aware this is the first book in a series, however, the story isn't dragged down into character introductions that can detract from the storytelling.
Heading into New Orleans, Deanna Oscar becomes aware of two things, the breadth of her powers and a killer is on the loose! Determined to focus on the job int
Deanna
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, mystery
A Mansion, a Drag Queen, and a New Job by C. C. Dragon is the first book in the Deanna Oscar Paranormal Mystery series. Deanna is visiting New Orleans to apply for a teaching job at Tulane when her grandmother's ghost appears and tells her to stay at her mansion. At the same time, Deanna gets a premonition that the can driver's granddaughter is in danger of being murdered and tries to earn her. After the little girl's death, Deanna uses her psychic abilities to assist in the investigation.

Based
Rosemary
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a fun and amazing story. I love this author.Her characters are strong yet can be vulnerable at times.This is the beginning of a new life for Dr.De who inherits her grmas house and money..she also has inherited her psychic abilities and begins to forsee the deaths of little girls.She can also see ghosts,as well and begins to help the police find this crazed killer. Even tho this is a mystery,some of the side characters are what make this story so fun,like a drag gueen,a sexy ex priest and a ...more
Kristen Lewendon
That was so much fun. This is a book that all about the characters and this one's filled with unique ones. I don't know if I'd have called the book a mystery. It's really not a case of who done it, the story centers more around how the culprit will be caught and brought to justice. It was a lot of fun to read and I will definitely be adding the rest of the series to my wish list.
I received a complimentary copy of this book.
Stuart Macmartin
That was fun. A breezy light read with the usual sorts of characters. Pace keeps moving and I like the people. Judge insists on something which doesn't make too much sense and others should have overruled. The rules of her abilities seem a little malleable, but plays on the edge of being overpowered without crossing the line. If I were a psychologist I might roll my eyes at times, but I'm not so I didn't.
Tammy Weaver
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fabulous!!!! I picked it up a Space Coast Book Lovers- wasn't sure what to expect but it was really a great read. Love the characters- and the storyline. Can't wait to read number 2
Tammy Soiseth
Enjoyed this book. Only read it a little at a time, because I had other books I was reading also, but it had a interesting story line.
Starla
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by C.C. Dragon and I purchased the box set. I'm very happy I have the first 3 books in this series because it is good. A serial killer, ghost, ex-priest, drag queen, judge and a PhD Phycologist/ psychic. Quite the story and very funny as you can imagine with characters I mentioned above. A must read guarantee you will become addicted to this series.
Desiree
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect but I really enjoyed the book and couldn't put it down. I will definitely be looking to read the entire series
Avid
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Mansion, A Drag Queen, and A New Job is the first book in the C.C. Dragon‘s Deanna Oscar Paranormal Mystery series. With this title, I was expecting it to be quite humorous and it definitely had some fun, light moments, but it was actually a very well-written and intriguing cozy mystery. Our heroine, Dr. Deanna Oscar, is a PhD psychologist and a psychic who is still learning to understand and control her gift. She is also a very likable, strong and independent woman who has her hands full and ...more
Sara
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books with paranormal activities, and this series hits all the buttons. Set in New Orleans, it follows Deanna Oscar as she arrives in NOLA after her grandmother's death to find that not only has she inherited a house and a boatload of money, but what's been "pooh-poohed" all her life is actually very real psychic abilities.

Throw in a drag queen, a serial killer, ghosts and more and it's a rollicking ride. I'm ready for book two!
Sapphyria
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Mansion, A Drag Queen, and a New Job hooked with me with the title alone. Add in a cool cover, and a great synopsis and there is definitely the makings of a very interesting mystery story. What disappointed me was, with such a creative title, there was a lack of humor within the pages. Sure, there are a few funny things but nothing really belly laugh worthy. I guess I just expected more humor outside of the tragic mystery.

The novel starts off pretty slowly - Deanna, a psychic with a PhD under
Julia Handley
Well this was fun and different to read.

Deanna is not only a psychologist, she is a psychic too. Yep what a fun combination that is hahaha. She is in process of career move and deciding what to do with her life. Then she finds out not only she has a grandmother that has died recently and left everything to her, but also that she was psychic too. This gives her another career option.

You have a kid killer, a very messed up one that I can't help but feel sorry for and want to shoot at the same t
DJ Sakata
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
My Rating:

4.5

Favorite Quotes:

“I really didn’t understand what the big deal was. Blood didn’t mean much in Chicago unless you were related to Oprah or Al Capone.”

“The living are much more trouble than the dead, as a group. Their expectations and demands can be less than reasonable. However, they are a part of the world and will likely require some of your time.”

“Great, Heaven had a Prime Directive. My youngest brother was a Star Trek addict so I was well versed in the Federation’s noninterference
Jennifer Holzapfel
New Orleans, psychic psychologist, ghosts, drag queens, murders, and former priest. Who could think up a better combination than that? Deanna Oscar came from Chicago to New Orleans to take an interview at Tulane University, and not 5 minutes in the city, she has a premonition to take the third cab she sees. The cab driver is about to take her to a hotel, when Deanna is visited by her dead grandmother who tells her to go to her address. Deanna never knew her grandmother. While riding she has a pr ...more
Amber
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
So going into this I thought it would be a really humorous read. That was not really the case. That being said I still really enjoyed it. It was fast paced, had a really great mystery, and ghosts! There was a hint of romance but I didn't really play out all to much. Maybe in later books there will be more.

I really like Deanna. She's very strong willed and can take care of herself. I love how she really cares about helping these people and doesn't mind as being seen really as crazy for talking t
Donna
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I really like this type of Paranormal story. It is a cozy mystery set in New Orleans. New Orleans is the perfect place for a psychic to fit in and not be viewed as crazy. I mean, the city is known for eccentricity!

I loved all the characters in this story. They are all quirky, decent people with good hearts. A psychic psychologist. A drag queen. An ex-priest. A trophy wife. An old-money family. Those are just the living people. The ghosts are equally quirky. And the mansion is quite interesting.

I
Jan
For whatever reason, I bought and read the second book first, and this one clarifies a few things, but either is a good read on its own merits.
Publisher's blurb gives the first clues.
There is the whole personal adjustment and self image thing, having been an academic from Chicago who has been admonished to hide her psychic abilities. Then there are all of the interesting people in her new world, the uniqueness of NOLA, her grandmother's home in the Garden District, and that said grandmother (no
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Look Before You Jump (The Bartender Babe Chronicles #1)
  • Paranormal Protection Agency: Volume 1 (Paranormal Protection Agency, #1-5)
  • Heroes & Hooligans in Goose Pimple Junction (Goose Pimple Junction Mysteries #2)
  • Things You've Inherited from Your Mother
  • It's not my fault. Self Discovery & Admission
  • Burning Bright (Ivy Granger, #3)
  • Haunt the Haunt, Walk the Walk (Haunted Tour Guide Mystery #3)
  • Murder, Mystery & Dating Mayhem (The Gray-Haired Knitting Detectives Book 1)
  • Tempus (The GenEx Saga, #1)
  • The Bride of Casa Dracula (Casa Dracula, #3)
  • Be My Banshee (Purple Door Detective Agency #1)
  • Family Heir: A Bigfoot Novel
  • Unwanted Protector (Federal Paranormal Unit, #3)
  • A Charming Christmas (Magical Cures Mystery, #6.5)
  • Scorched (Sizzle, #2)
  • Desert Wolf (Wolves of Willow Bend, #8)
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Ghosts (Destiny Bay Cozy, #4)
  • The Thing Is
A loyal Chicago girl who loves deep dish pizza, the Cubs, and the Lake, CC Dragon is fascinated by mysteries, sleuthing, as well as the supernatural. The southern connection comes in because her sister moved down there and the material was too fun and entertaining not to set a series there.
CC loves creating characters, especially amateur sleuths who solve crimes in their spare time. A coffee and
More about C.C. Dragon

Deanna Oscar Paranormal Mystery (6 books)
  • A Club, An Imposter, And A Competition (Deanna Oscar Paranormal Mystery, #2)
  • A Bar, A Brother, And A Ghost Hunt (Deanna Oscar Paranormal Mystery, #3)
  • A Voodoo Shop, A Zombie, And A Party (Deanna Oscar Paranormal Mystery, #4)
  • A Cemetery, a Cannibal, and the Day of the Dead (Deanna Oscar Paranormal Mystery #5)
  • A Dungeon, a Vampire, and an Infatuation (Deanna Oscar Paranormal Mystery, #6)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
  • Anatomy of a Scandal
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Perfect Stranger
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Lying in Wait
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Birdman
  • Hanging Hill: A Novel
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)