Start by marking “Winter's Child (Thaw #1)” as Want to Read:
Winter's Child (Thaw #1)

Winter's Child

(Thaw #1)

Sometimes, when we get what we wish for, we don't know what to do with it.
Published January 5th 2015 by Hearth Books

To ask other readers questions about Winter's Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter's Child

H.S.J. Williams
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I admit, this took me by surprise. I was expecting a retelling of the fairytales, "Snow Maiden" and "The Snow Queen." What I was not expecting was a retelling/alternate version of "Frozen." The author writes with a very classical fairytale voice, with a touch of a modern tone, and she explores deeper emotions and backstory for "Elsa", "Hans", "Anna," and "Kristoff". The discussion questions at the end were geared to a younger audience, which was also surprising, for I didn't know what age level ...more
Chelsea Johnson
A barren king and queen pray for a child, and when in their loneliness, they make one out of snow, their prayers are answered in a special, and unusual way. Sometimes, when we get what we wish for, we don't know what to do with it.

Ok, so to be honest, I wasn't really sure exactly what to expect from this story. Based on the description and various other things, I was expecting a retelling of some sort of The Snow Queen (or The Snow Maiden depending on your fairy tale). What I got seems to be a retell
Shantelle
3.5 stars.

Winter’s Child, the first book to the series, Thaw, is a creative retelling of the classic fairytales, Snow Maiden and The Snow Queen. We also see a lot of similarities to Frozen, for anyone who likes that fun movie, :)

I found this book to be interesting and enjoyable, a simple and very “classic fairytale-ish” story. It’s perhaps written in more a style for a younger audience to understand (as it is about two, young sisters), but any age could enjoy it! The Discussion Guide at the end of
E. Writes
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Author's Note: Not many are familiar with the "Snow Maiden" tale, but those who are remember it, because it is uniquely haunting. Using it as a staple in the Winter's Child was a fun place to go, because even with a few twists it still retains it's unforgettableness. I hope Winter's Child will prove the same.

There is a lot of change that could be worked on the foundation of this odd, and mostly ignored, little story… but the premise is one that stays with a person long after it has
I wanted to love this book. I really did. Unfortunately, it just didn't wow me.

The premise of the book is really good. It's essentially a retelling of Frozen, "The Snow Queen", and another little-known fairy tale, "The Snow Baby", all mixed into one story. This is all well and good, and I particularly liked the use of "The Snow Baby" to explain how Ilise got her powers. I also loved the royal family of Demargen; despite the fact that they only got two chapters, they were easily my favorite part
Athelas Hale
I read this book a long while ago, actually, and meant to review it then, and then just... never did. I'm so sorry for taking so long - but here the review is!

This book was a quick read; if I recall correctly, I think I read it all in one sitting. It had charming characters (the wee lass with the red hair was super sweet), and a pretty straightforward plot. I greatly appreciated the favorable portrayal of a large family in it.

This book, though I don't know how the others
Claire Banschbach
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun fairy-tale. I love its basis in the Snow Queen and Snow Child fairy tales as well as some similarities (intended or not) to Frozen. You're drawn into the story almost immediately and the plot moves right along. There's several different characters which made for some jumping around with storylines, but they were all interesting, so I can't complain too much. I'll be getting the rest of the series so I can finish these charming re-tellings!

Recommended for anyone who likes f
Stargazer R. L.
At first glance the Thaw books appear to be a re-telling of The Snow Queen. On second glace they look a great deal like a retelling of the movie Frozen. But when actually read, they are truly their own delightful thing, whose roots appear to have sprung from the before mentioned movie.

Winter's Child is a delightful little tale of kings and queens, young princesses, a young prince, and . . . someone else I will talk about in a moment, all mixed together in a flurry of snowflakes, love
Kelsey Bryant
I really loved this book, the first in a series that is, very fortunately, going to continue!
Even as the editor, I think I can still impartially say this told a great story. I love the atmosphere of a historical fairytale, where it feels like a real time in history but still possesses the charm and wonder of a fantasy. Miss Kaiser's writing is engaging and descriptive, and several wintry scenes, also fraught with characters' emotions, took my breath away.
The story felt like a sort of back
Rebecca
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Thaw: Winter's Child is a retelling of The Snow Queen, which was also the basis for Frozen. I really wanted to enjoy this story, but I had a lot of trouble doing so. It reminds me too much of Frozen with Ilise and Girta and parents who don't seem to understand how to take care of children with special talents. Instead of nurturing those talents, they move their daughter to the tower where she has no contact with anyone. She is isolated and alone and as she grows, she becomes angry which eventual ...more
Keturah Lamb
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I really liked this book. I'd read something the author had written before . . . but I was still hesitant about reading something longer.

To me this is a real fairy tale — a fantastical story about people learning hard life lessons and changing because of what they learn, whether they change for the good or the bad is up to them. A fairy tale that is really a moral tale with fairies (or in this case angels and mythical creatures/ some magic).

And I really l
Lucy (That Book Gal)
I started this book sensing a strong “Frozen” vibe(Disney). That continued throughout the book, and I felt like it had a lot of similar elements to the Frozen movie.

THE GOOD

1. The dynamics of Ilise's relationships with her family were well done. There was a correct amount of tension, but there was still a good undercurrent of love in their relationship.
2. I liked Kai.
3. Ilise held onto herself throughout it all and I felt like even though she had changed greatly, s
Emily
Thaw: Winter’s Child is the first in a series of fairytale rewrites. E Kaiser Writes twists several fairytales involving snow and ice, including “The Snow Queen” and “The Snow Maiden,” into a sweet story similar to the Disney movie Frozen. Winter’s Child begins with the characters’ births and tells about their childhoods, the discovery of Ilise’s powers, and the consequences of those powers.

I enjoyed reading the story. Each of the characters had their own stories and experiences as t
Laurin
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
E. Kaiser Writes has done a lovely job retelling the classic Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale of the Snow Queen. In the first installment of the series, Thaw: Winter's Child, we are introduced to the royal family of Noran, where the king and queen long to have a child to call their own. They are blessed by the Winter Angel with just such a child, although their beautiful daughter, Ilise, has a secret. As she and her younger sister, Girthild, grow, the family discovers that Ilise can make ice a ...more
Nikki
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
In this retelling of The Snow Maiden, the king and queen of Noran have wished for a child for a long time when finally they receive Ilise. As she grows, they realize that she has extraordinary powers, the ability to manipulate ice and snow. They seclude her so that she doesn't hurt anyone and so no one will discover what she can do. Meanwhile, they have another daughter Girta who is a rambunctious child.

There are other characters introduced into the story, but they don't interact with the first
Cortney Manning
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Winter's Child is the first book in the new series, Thaw by E. Kaiser Writes. It tells the story of two sisters who are princesses in a wintry kingdom. Ilise is the older sister who is given to her barren parents by the Winter Angel, and she has winter powers over ice and snow. Girta is her wild younger sister.

The story is inspired by several wintry fairy tales, but also has a heavy influence from Disney's Frozen. At first, I was not sure how to feel about this because much of the st
Linda Walters
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
A good start. Interesting Fairy Tale; it reminds me of some of the kinds I grew up with. Charming fantasy story with a moral to it, helping to build good character. This "Book 1" sets up the beginning and the Royal Family dynamics. You see that they love their daughter dearly but the struggle comes when they began to fear her powers. They fear what it could do to her, the family and their people as well. They want her to have a normal life with everything good but they just don't know what to do ...more
Erika Mathews
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellently written and portrayed. I loved the glimpses into the childhoods and families of each of the main characters. I stepped right in to Ilise and Girta's family and Hess' family. I could feel the differences in the atmospheres and actually see through the children's eyes - which is something that is difficult to portray well in a book like this with many POVs.

This book was on the short side and could possibly have been combined with Winter Queen, but it worked on its own as well.

The rei
Abigail
Sep 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
I got this book in a giveaway, and it took me a long time to read it because I moved the package had to catch up with me. But anyway, I finally got it last week and read it in less than hour. The story is short, only 178 pages, less if you don't count some of the extra pages.

Overall I was bored. The story begins interestingly enough, I'm always down for a fairytale or a retelling. The language is what first turned me off, it felt like it was trying to be fairytale language, or dialog
Hannah
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book in the Thaw series I have read so far. The beginning areas with the birth of Elise are so sweet, and everything to do with both the little princesses and the royal family of Demargen is pure delight---like reading through the history of European royalty, seen through the eyes of children. I found the bride of Hess's older brother and Elise and Girta's reception of Cousin Gustav especially interesting. The book doesn't end at an awkward cliffhanger moment, so no worries abou ...more
Abby Cashen
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
A cute story that was very reminiscent of Frozen and yet different enough to be entertaining. While the story itself isn't much different from Frozen, the characters were. There was definitely the Ana, Kristoff, and Elsa figures, but I think the author delved deeper perhaps into each of them, trying to let you into their, thoughts, emotions, and reasons. Over all it's a sweet story and perfect read-aloud with the kids!
Maggie
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Winter's Child is the charming first installment of the Thaw series. It is combination of the tale Snow Maiden and Anderson's Snow Queen. It is a tale in which a barren king and queen pray for a child, and in their loneliness, their prayers are answered in a special, and unusual way.
Katie
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Winter's Child by Elizabeth Kaiser is a delightful fantasy weaving threads from classic tales into a fun, new story. You may even find some elbow-nudging toward Frozen. This is a lesson led novel, but one with interesting characters who carry the story well. I enjoyed Winter's Child.
❄Elsa Frost❄
Julie
May 04, 2015
Sierra Faith
Jun 11, 2015
E. Kaiser Writes was born into a family of readers, and got started on storytelling around the age of four when her older siblings prompted her into recounting an absolutely ridiculous account of a parallel childhood. It was good for the family's general entertainment, and she discovered the thrill of making people laugh.
At the age of seven her mother read the Hobbit aloud, and a fascination

Thaw (4 books)
  • Winter Queen (Thaw, #2)
  • Prince of Demargen (Thaw #3)
  • Reindeer King (Thaw #4)