Start by marking “Volition” as Want to Read:
Volition

Volition

You know that feeling in the pit of your stomach that stays with you, then tears you apart slowly at first, and all at once shreds every fiber of your being?

Its because youre contradicting the universe.

Everything lines up so perfectly that you couldnt have imagined it to work out better, but then you have to go and do everything humanly possible to ruin it because you
Published February 6th 2015 (first published January 16th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Volition, please sign up.
Meghan It doesn't but someone can interoperate it that way if you get what I mean. The main character does not cheat on anyone and there isn't a love…moreIt doesn't but someone can interoperate it that way if you get what I mean. The main character does not cheat on anyone and there isn't a love triangle but there is on a deeper level. Like... um... I don't know how to phrase it without spoiling the book... ok so I'll give snippets ... soul mate, love of your life, ex boyfriend , death, love, letting go, marriage... If you read the book then the order makes a little more sense(less)

Start your review of Volition
Robin
Mar 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Oh hey guess what, I already read these words when they were published 3 years ago by another author.
Belen
Mar 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
*****PLAGIARISM ALERT*****

I decided to read this book cause it was getting a lot of praises and was being recommended to me a lot cause of a certain series I've read. After reading it I was so angry and disgusted at reading scenes from my favorite author in this story. The storyline itself is just Like the other series, this one is just told in a different timeline of the story, but all the characters are there the plot is there. The way the first book ends is there.
I can't deal with the
Serena
Mar 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Revised review----I read Volition back in March. The characters didn't really mesh well and the story was choppy. It was recommended in various reading groups I was in and the author claimed to write like Tarryn Fisher (a favorite of mine) so I decided to read it. I noticed right away certain things were very much like Tarryn's books...scenes being the same with different character names and different setting. One huge thing stood out to me...the writing. Tarryn Fisher's writing blows me away. ...more
Leslie
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I've become extremely picky when choosing books for review. The really good ones are becoming extinct and even a few bad ones can sometimes be hidden behind a great cover. The memo has definitely been received...well, by most indies, anyway. Although, don't always judge a book by it's cover because cliche or not, it's just not that easy. That said, I'm happy, no, THRILLED to say Volition not only boasts a great cover, it's now on a list of my new favorite books of 2015!

There are vast arrays of
Margie
Feb 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
This author plagiarised this story from one of my FAVORITE authors, so...NOPE... not reading
Missy Genneken
Jun 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Saw so many outstanding review I just couldn't wait to read it. Pretty quickly I realized I had read this book before.
Lots of this sort of thing happening:

There is a string that connects us that is not visible to the eye. Maybe every person has more than one soul they are connected to, and all over the world there are those invisible strings Maybe the chances that youll find each and every one of your soul mates is slim. But sometimes youre lucky enough to stumble across one. And you feel a
Michelle
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't find Tate to really be "dark" and I felt like I kept waiting for something big to happen. I kept going back and thinking, "Am I missing where she had a relationship with Jesse or even really spoke to him?". I was supposed to believe that they were soulmates, however, I saw no true evidence of this in the book. In fact, Jesse barely spoke or had interaction with Tate throughout the book. We just got very brief snippets.
вιвℓισρнιℓια {кιηgѕℓєу & ѕøяєη ƒσяєνєя}

Just found out this book is plagiarised!!!

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!! ......

Simone
Feb 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
My name is Tate McKenna and I'm beyond boring.
DNF
Chandra
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get this book.
It wasn't dark.
There wasn't a twist.
It wasn't really a love-triangle. (Yes I read the forward. I'm aware it wasn't really supposed to be a love-triangle, but I felt like she was trying to make it one and it didn't work.)
It was dumb.
Alisha
Jun 16, 2015 added it
***PLAGIARISM ALERT***

DO NOT BUY OR READ THIS BOOK!
Gaby
Jun 16, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-read
******BEWARE******

THIS BOOK IS SUSPECTED OF BEING PLAGIARIZED!!!! DO NOT READ!
Allegria
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
The book was missing 2 very pivotal ingredients. First, what dark side? I kept waiting for it because Tate (heroine) kept mentioning it about herself but she never DID anything rom book readers would consider "dark." Most likely what the author thought was "dark" was Tate's pain & rebellion fromn witnessing her parents' death & being unloved by her grandparents. But dark is what is born FROM pain, goes beyond teen rebellion, and this essential part was missing. Second and biggest miss ...more
Farida
There was nothing "dark" about this. I felt no connection between Tate and Hayden. Hayden was so flat! And how did she have a 'relationship' with Jesse? The author made their relationship sound so profound, and dark, and haunting, and there...was...nothing...going...on. Tate came out to be a Serena Van der Woodsen reject. WHERE WAS THE BAD! She was not bad at all. She was just whiny about her past.

She starts off trying to be the 'new' Tate but all she does is complain.

And how lucky is she that
Nadine
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
"My name is Tate McKenna, and I am a coward. I like to think that I'm being brave by picking up my life and moving across the country, but the glass of scotch in my hand says otherwise."

This book is very much a book that takes place primarily in the main characters head. Not many books can accomplish a good plot, character development, etc. when the book is mostly in the main characters head, but this book does it beautifully. Volition follows a woman named Tate as shes running away from her
Kelly Roberson
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely incredible! The writing was beautiful, and Tate is one of the most different and unusual characters I've ever read from! I will have a review of this book up on my channel very soon!
grace
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm going to put up a video review! :)
Natasha at Book Baristas
Review on blog: https://bookbaristas.wordpress.com/20...

This book was a privilege to have read.

If you plan on immersing yourself in Volition with high hopes of really enjoying the story, you need to go in with an open mind. Remember that perception is everything. In addition to having an open mind, I would highly recommend you read the foreword, seeing as it is vital to understanding everything that Volition stands for.

That being said, I wholeheartedly recommend this story to anyone willing to
Kara
Mar 07, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
The melodrama and the angst, OMGGGG. Just sooo cheesy.

The protagonist's decisions hardly ever made sense and bordered on TSTL.

Also, I did not care for the flipping back and forth from past to present with one guy and another. Bad editing decision. It chopped up the story too much and made me unable to connect to either storyline.

Sorry, but this flat-out sucked. I bought it on a whim because I saw it on GR, liked the cover, and it was set in NYC--also only 2.99. That was clearly a poor
The Y.A. Bookworm Blogger
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Incredible. Volition is unlike anything I've ever read before...I'm going to let this marinate in my brain a bit and then write a more coherent review within the next few days. Stay tuned!

But wow.
Konica
Feb 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 50% I've tried to like the book, the author's writing style was not for me. Not sure which direction she was going into, but I could not get into the book for the life of me. I can't even explain how I feel about this book.
Nas
I feel numb. This book shattered me into tiny pieces and then some.

This is not your typical love story. There isn't anything typical about it to be honest. My god it's impossible for me right now to put into words the experience of Volition; was not expecting that at all. It was heartbreaking. It was beautiful. Tragic. But my gosh what a phenomenal read.
I hate love triangles but this one? I don't even know how i feel about it other than it's far from hate. It broke me completely, I still don't
Emma Tonkin
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh. My words escape me. This book was absolutely amazing in its own twisted way. Thank you so much Lily, first of all for writing this beautiful but tragic story, that somehow managed to fill me with the same love and warmth, I felt while reading your phenomenal debut novel Ignite. Despite the inner darkness that Volition contains, it affected me in the same way. And second of all for giving me the opportunity to read your book by gifting it to me, I truly appreciate the kindness you ...more
Lise *friends don't flag*
Loved this one...Review to come.

Updated: 6-18-15

No wonder I loved this one. I still do, but I cannot rate it... sad :-(
Ashley DiNorcia
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: smut-club
4.5
Because we all have a Jesse. I know I do.

More later!
Jasmina
REVIEW
This review was also posted on my blog.

If there's any time that I was highly excited for a book to be released, then it would have been just a few days ago when I received my copy of Volition. I was excited because I loved Ignite, Lily's debut novel. I was excited because the awe I was put in after Ignite made me love her writing, and I swore to myself that I would support Lily Paradis from that day onward. I was excited because Volition's description seemed intriguing. I managed to build
Nina
Jun 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
It is never okay to plagiarize. Ridiculous.
Kristen Ollie
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
 photo volition_zpsypc9lkof.jpg

Aren't you somethin' to admire?
Cause your shine is somethin' like a mirror
And I can't help but notice
You reflect in this heart of mine
If you ever feel alone and
The glare makes me hard to find
Just know that I'm always
Parallel on the other side

**1 billion trillion "dark soul" stars!!**

I'm going to start this review by saying I finished this book late Saturday night/ Sunday morning. It's been awhile since I have stayed up late to finish a book. I couldn't put it down, I devoured it in one
Christine (Shh Moms Reading)
Mar 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Sadly this book didn't work for me. The blurb caught my attention and I love trying out new authors.

Unfortunately the writing did not flow or draw me in. The MC was annoying and got on my nerves.

The author prides herself on being dark and this novel is anything but.

Unfortunately this author lacks originality with the story and because the writing was sub par I could not continue.
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult
Visit Stay Bookish for more book reviews!

Actual rating: 4.5

Where do I even begin? Volition made my heart ache. It's the good kind of hurt- the kind you get when you're enthralled by the characters and you feel the prose speaking to you, coming alive.
I look up into the sky to see all of the drops falling on the ground before they make contact. I realize the drops have more in common with me than I think. Were all just falling until were not falling, and we dont really have a choice where we land.
Bookish Beauties ...: Overall Thoughts || Volition 5 68 Mar 13, 2015 12:12PM