Start by marking “No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome, #2)” as Want to Read:
No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome, #2)

No Other Darkness

(DI Marnie Rome #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  1,575 Ratings  ·  267 Reviews
From the Richard and Judy bestselling author Sarah Hilary. The phenomenal Marnie Rome returns in the outstanding follow up to the critically acclaimed SOMEONE ELSE'S SKIN.

Two young boys.
Trapped underground in a bunker.
Slowly realising that no-one will...

Five years later, the boys' bodies are found
Published April 23rd 2015 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about No Other Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Other Darkness

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I was reeling after finishing this book, I am gutted there is no 6 star option on Goodreads or Amazon. This one is in my top five reads of 2015 no questions asked. I have never felt so much emotion reading a book in a long time, and not just one emotion, but every single one.

I have not read the first book in this series but have bought it today as I am now a huge fan of Sarah Hilary, her imagination, and most of all her stunning and sophisticated writing style. I was lost in it. Incredible.

Thi
sue
I took some time out between reading some new books and then going back on some older books left on my tbr shelf like I promised myself this year.

This is the secound book in the DI Marnie Rome series. I have been so eager to return to this series as I enjoyed book one so very much.

This was harrowing, two young lads trapped in a bunker who eventually die.

Years later their bodies are found, now ensues gathering what happened and why.

DI Marnie Rome and DS Noah Jakes make a great team, and it was gr
Elaine
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After five years entombment the bodies of two boys are found in an underground bunker. Who are they, how did they die and who put them there? I have read a few books over the past year or so with underground burial as a theme but that isn’t to say that there is no room for another one – especially if it is as good as No Other Darkness, the follow on to Someone Else’s Skin. Whilst I enjoyed Someone Else’s Skin, I have to say that the author really has stepped it up a notch here – and I absolutely ...more
Christine
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be published in April 2015

There is something incredibly exciting about reading a follow up book to the one you LOVED. At the beginning of the year, I fell in love with Marnie Rome and the wonderful writing style of Sarah Hilary. In ‘Someone Else’s Skin’, Sarah Hilary’s debut novel, we were introduced to DI Marnie Rome and her sidekick Noah Jake.

In ‘No Other Darkness’, Marnie and Noah are assigned to a case of two young boys hidden in a bunker and left to die. As with Hilary’s previous book, t
Liz Barnsley
So what seems like years ago now (I read it VERY early) I first encountered Marnie Rome in Sarah Hilary’s haunting debut “Someone Elses Skin”. It has felt like a long wait for the follow up novel but it was worth every minute.

In this instalment, a horrific discovery sets off a highly disturbing case for Marnie and co that hits closer to home than anyone is comfortable with – as things twist and turn their way towards a breathtaking conclusion, it becomes obvious that nothing is as it appears and
Janet
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Other Darkness is the follow up to Ms Hilary's debut novel, Someone Else's Skin, continuing on with main protagonist, Marnie Rome. And what a follow up!!

A grisly find of two young boys in a bunker at the bottom of a garden is where this book sets off. An upsetting but strong start that leads into an investigation of who the boys were and why was their disappearance not highlighted before? What we find is a tale of anguish, terrible guilt, remorse, lack of understanding and an insight into a t
Emma
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it

This is one of the two best psychological thrillers i've read this year. (The other is Angela Marsons Silent Scream).

I'd seen the previous installment 'Someone Else's Skin' but hadn't read it. In no way did that detract from the reading of this book and i'm thrilled that it gives me something else to read by this author straight away.

Sarah Hilary is an excellent writer. She holds your attention from the outset and never lets up. I read the whole book in one sitting, all the while tellin
Lisa
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-loved
Sarah Hilary has really amped it up with No Other Darkness the follow up to Someone Else's Skin i think this one is even better .

Two young children are found entombed in a bunker dead they had been there for 5 years but who put them there & why? well in this psychological thriller you are taken on a dark journey of the perps madness & Psychosis .

DI Marnie Rome & DS NOah Jake are back to solve the murder of Fred & Archie what they discover is lies deceit & a terrifying realisa
Richard
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
It would be fair to share that Sarah Hilary is growing on me, however, I find her a frustrating writer. There were times during the first part of the book that I felt confined and trapped in the past with DI Marnie Rome when all I wanted to do was move on and read something new. Then I got it; the gentle layering of this unusual story, the clever patterns being brought together to make a more defined and meaningful picture. I was in danger of scoring it much lower in the belief the author had no ...more
P.J. Ferguson
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book as part of a goodreads.com Giveaway.

First I would like to thank goodreads.com, the Publisher and the Author for sending me a copy for winning the giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

This book is well titled and is Dark, Dark and then gets Darker. The Characters are well written and the story flows very well. It is an amazing book that I would recommend to anyone who loves this genre and I would do so without reservation.

It is mesmerizing and truly absorbing.
Paul
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
No Other Darkness – Grabs You By The Throat

Sarah Hilary recently won the Theakston’s Crime Novel of the Year award for Someone Else’s Skin where she introduced us to a new detective hero in Detective Inspector Marnie Rome. Where her first novel was only critically acclaimed No Other Darkness is EVEN better her writing and her detective grab you by the throat and will leave you breathless all the way to the end.

Sarah Hilary is a writer who knows how to get under your skin, who not only knows how
Karen
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Sarah Hilary, I have a brilliant new crime series to follow. I thought the first book, Someone Else’s Skin, was great however, with the second, No Other Darkness, Sarah Hilary has really taken things up a notch.

I’m not giving away any spoilers when I say that the book begins with a heart-breaking scenario. We know from the blurb on the back that things are not going to end well and when Marnie Rome and her team are called to investigate, they are all affected by what they find.

One of
Best Crime Books & More
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved Sarah Hilary’s debut novel, so much so that I moved straight onto Book 2 which was released in April. DI Marnie Rome and her colleague DS Noah Jake are back together and investigating the discovery of two young children found in a hidden bunker. The opening chapters describing the murder scene are creep enough but you get that cold dark feeling seeping into your bones, when you realise this will not be a straightforward case.

In this second instalment, aside from the main storyline, I lo
Book Addict Shaun
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
No Other Darkness is a difficult book to start a review for, so many things I want to pick up on and discuss but at the same time not knowing just where to start. Someone Else's Skin was a seriously impressive debut, and one of the first review books I received for the blog. Fast forward one year and almost 300 reviews, and it's a definitely a standout read for me. No Other Darkness is just in another league, a real example of how to do crime fiction, and it should be given to those that critici ...more
Lynda Kelly
This wasn't a patch on her first for me. I made note that there were no mistakes in that one whereas this one was full of repetition.
I was a little baffled when she mentioned the OCU being on "his" way as I Googled it and it stands for Operational Command Unit !! Again with Marnie knowing so much about a builder's ventilation work. It was never really explained how she acquired this knowledge !!
Now the repetition....we hear 2 pages running that a mobile office existed, the same with beech trees
Joey Woolfardis
[Thanks to Hodder & Stoughton for my copy.]

Two bodies are found: at first glance it's hard to tell, but it soon becomes apparent they are two young boys-brothers. DI Marnie Rome is called in to investigate, along with her team, all of whom have never seen anything so dark as this before.

I am relatively new to the world of Crime/Thriller Fiction. I started my journey with Ian Rankin and Patricia Cornwell, quite possibly the two greats Crime Writers (in my humble opinion, anyway). Keeping thos
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

This book is well named as it’s dark, dark, DARK!  And I’m not going to lie, it is a bleak, sad  theme but it’s told with a compassionate tone that makes this a compelling read.

First Line of No Other Darkness by Sarah Hilary:
“Fred’s crying again, a snotty noise with a whine in it, like the puppy when she’s shut outside.”

My Thoughts on No Other Darkness by Sarah Hilary:
The first line puts a knot of tension into my stomach knowing now exactl
Claire
Review: No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome #2) by Sarah Hilary Publication Date: 23rd April 2015

Publisher: Headline

ISBN: 978147220772 (trade paperback)

Source: Publisher/Netgalley

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis:
Two young boys.
Trapped underground in a bunker.
Slowly realising that no-one will...

Five years later the boys' bodies are found and the most difficult case of DI Marnie Rome's career begins.
Her only focus is the boys. She h
Wendy
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** Actual rating 3.5 / 5 ***

After reading the most excellent first in this series (Someone Else’s Skin) I pre-ordered this one almost as soon as I heard about it. But for one reason or another I’m ashamed to say it’s been neglected on my Kindle since its publication day.

Anyway, all’s not lost as I recently threw myself into 'No Other Darkness' and the introduction immediately set the unsettling tone that was to follow. The story has suspense in many places and fiercely (and cleverly) guards its
BookwormDH
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent piece of writing. I was lucky to receive an early review copy of this book. It is one of those books that keeps coming up with so many surprises, it's very hard to put down. I have to say. I love DI Marine Rome. A fantastic character who has endured so much pain herself it's hard to believe she can tackle cases like she does. Full of suspense, intrigue, and indulging in to a fantastic crime novel. A must read, and high praise for Sarah Hilary. A must read for any crime/thriller nove ...more
Kate
What a fabulous novel. It takes us, and DI Marnie Rome, to some dark places but there's a real warmth and care in Sarah Hilary's handling of these difficult themes. I thought this would be good and I wasn't disappointed. On the contrary. Superb.

Cathy Ryan
4.5*
DI Marnie Rome, DS Noah Jake and the team are investigating a report of bodies found. Two children. ‘A burial, but not in the usual sense…’

Terry and Beth Doyle, along with their two young children, moved into a new house a year ago. While in the process of preparing a vegetable plot, Terry finds an underground bunker and makes a shocking discovery. Marnie and Noah attend the scene, and with no apparent clues, it’s their unenviable task to find out who left two young children alone in an und
Donna Irwin
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent follow up to Someone Else's Skin and a second and sad case for Marnie and Noah, set against the background of Marnie's own family tragedy. Very well written with great characters and an interesting if sad storyline. Looking forward to number three !
Leah
Oh my word, Sarah Hilary is a genius! No Other Darkness is a book I absolutely flew through. I did not intend to read it in a couple of sittings, in the same day, but I just couldn't put it down, and isn't that just the best kind of book? Makes me feel like an idiot for waiting so long to read it, mind, because it was just THAT GOOD. Sarah Hilary is without a doubt one of the finest crime writers you will ever come across, and I am saying that after just two books, but I am hoping for so many mo ...more
Tracey Walsh
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A masterclass in developing crime fiction series characters.
"Two young boys.
Trapped underground in a bunker.
Slowly realising that no-one will...
Five years later, the boys' bodies are found and the most difficult case of DI Marnie Rome's career begins.
Her only focus is the boys. She has to find out who they are and what happened to themFor Marnie, there is no other darkness than this..."
Sarah Hilary draws the reader in fr
Anne Coates
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
No Other Darkness is the second in the DI Marnie Rome series. I was impressed with the first, Someone Else’s Skin, but this time Sarah Hilary has really excelled herself. Both she and her protagonist have acquired a deeper maturity and confidence. Hilary’s plotting and characterisation are perfect. The quality of her writing is exceptional.

The book begins with the last days of two small brothers imprisoned in an underground bunker. Left alone to die. The discovery of their remains five years la
Bookread2day
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review by ireadnovels.wordpress.com
Unlike other readers sadly I did not read Someone Else's Skin by Sarah Hilary. I read No Other Darkness first. Sarah Hilary is a glorious new crime writer that writes frightening danger on every page.

The story takes us through deep measures of sympathy with domestic and complications. An unforgivable, unforgettable thing happened. Two young boys were trapped underground in a Cold War bunker built under a field in north-east London.

A monster of a person had pu
Joanne Robertson
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think that Sarah Hilary could improve on Someone Else's Skin but I am pleased to say that I think No Other Darkness is even better!
Marnie Rome is back and I love her! This time she is trying to find out why 2 little boys have been found dead in an underground bunker.
This series is brilliant and I can imagine it would make a great tv adaptation although I would find it hard to accept a tv Marnie when I like the one I imagine in my head. It is gritty and realistic and Sarah Hilary has a
Tara Russell
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I described the first DI Rome book as a thriller with a dark, dark heart, this second book takes that observation to a higher level. It's a rare thing to find such incisive and sensitive portrayal of mental ill-health, it's not so unusual to find a clever, subtle yet terrifying thriller, but this book melds both with consummate style.
Tracy Fenton
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A brilliant follow up book to Someone's Elses Skin with a shocking and sad plot revolving around the deaths of 2 young boys. I love the development of Marnie Rome and can't wait to read Sarah Hilary's next book in the series.
  • After You Die (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #3)
  • No Place to Die (DI Mike Lockyer, #2)
  • What Lies Within
  • After the Fire (Maeve Kerrigan, #6)
  • Tuesday Falling
  • The Silent Dead (Paula Maguire, #3)
  • All Fall Down (Kate Maddox, #2)
  • Good Girls Don't Die (D.I. Grace Fisher, #1)
  • The Hunt
  • A Killing Moon (Damen Brook, #5)
  • Bad Blood (DI Charlotte Savage, #2)
  • You Belong To Me (DCI Lorraine Fisher #3)
  • The Long Fall
  • Prayer for the Dead (Inspector McLean, #5)
  • Time to Die (Detective Jennifer Knight, #2)
  • The Secret by the Lake
  • Lying in Wait
  • The Dying Place (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #2)
Sarah's debut novel, SOMEONE ELSE’S SKIN, won Theakstons Crime Novel of the Year 2015. Her second, NO OTHER DARKNESS, is out now. Sarah lives in Bath, where she writes quirky copy for a well-loved travel publisher. She's also worked as a bookseller, and with the Royal Navy. See more at: http://www.gregoryandcompany.co.uk/pa...

DI Marnie Rome (5 books)
  • Someone Else's Skin (DI Marnie Rome, #1)
  • Tastes Like Fear (DI Marnie Rome, #3)
  • Quieter Than Killing (DI Marnie Rome, #4)
  • Come and Find Me (DI Marnie Rome, #5)
“We all live by leaving behind.” 0 likes
“The truth is that we all live by leaving behind. Borges. That was it. Jorge Luis Borges’s Funes the Memorious, a book about a man who couldn’t forget anything, who was driven mad by his memory. Reading Borges had been light relief during her Camus phase, but that line had stuck with her. We all live by leaving behind.” 0 likes