Start by marking “Boy in the Mirror (The Infinity Trials, #1)” as Want to Read:
Boy in the Mirror (The Infinity Trials, #1)

Boy in the Mirror

(The Infinity Trials #1)

Fifteen-year-old Jacqueline Talbot’s boyfriend Mal lives in the mirror of her makeup case. There’s never been anything normal about Jacqueline; not during her time in foster care, and certainly not in her new hometown of Mercy Hills.

Published December 25th 2016 by CreateSpace (first published January 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Boy in the Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy in the Mirror

Thea Atkinson
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m not one of those writers who writes thoughtful and insightful reviews. Basically, I gush to my friends that you just have to read it. Or leave a few words on Amazon to say that I enjoyed it. If I ever put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard in this case) it’s because I really enjoyed the story. I guess I’m like many readers: I have to really be moved to write a review.

So here’s my summation of why you should pick up this book.

The opening chapters are wonderful. just. Wonderful. I was hooked
April Showers Bring Fungi From Yuggoth
Review: BOY IN THE MIRROR by Robert J. Duperre
(The Infinity Trials #1)

WOW! Sometimes my first response is speechlessness! I loved BOY IN THE MIRROR! Totally engrossing from the very commencement, this wonderful novel offers a balance of contemporary issues (child abuse, parental demise, rape culture, socioeconomic class discrepancy) as over against occult fantasy, religious cult devotion, monsters. Throughout the author offers characters realistic and comprehensible, some entirely adorable, ot
Susan Angela Wallace
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The boy in the mirror by Robert j Duperre.
With rumors of actual monsters in the woods, the popular kids taking an unhealthy interest in her, and the revealing of her own dark past, all Jacqueline wants to do is run away forever with Mal. Too bad he’s trapped in the m
Lisa Robbins
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was not at all what I expected when I requested this book from Netgalley. As it turns out, it's so much more than I expected. I figured there would be some sort of paranormal aspect since there was a boy stuck in a mirror. I didn't know quite how far it would go. For the most part I thought the characters were well done and interesting. The surprises just kept coming, especially the ending! I did not see that coming. It was a quick smack in the face leaving things open for a second book. I' ...more
Heather
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-review
Jacqueline Talbot hasn’t led an easy life since she was orphaned at a young age, shuffling from foster home to home ever since. She’s been seen as a bit troubled since her father received the death penalty for murdering several people after her mother passed away. But just when the last foster home seemed like it was the most oppressive, Jacqueline’s unknown Aunt Mitzy sweeps in and takes custody of her niece, bringing Jacqueline back to live in her parents’ home town of Mercy Hills.

The clean sl
Greta is Erikasbuddy
I was given this book by the author for an honest review a couple weeks ago.

I was like "WOAH WOAH WOAH! Silas Dude... I'm reading 'Gone with the Wind' right now. This might take a while to get to."

And because he's not the kind of indie author that would like you to stop everything that you're doing he was like "Yeah. That's cool. Just get to it when you can and if not then that's cool too."

That's always nice to hear. Some indie authors will pressure you. He was just like "You're my bud! Here's a
Jen
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying this book is weird. Like, very weird. It took me awhile to get into it honestly but once I did, I really enjoyed it! But yeah...weird. Read it with an open mind and you could be surprised.

The book starts off with a young boy getting possessed (for lack of a better word) by something called The Prophet. Be ready to not hear about this boy for several chapters. As I reading an advanced copy with no page numbers, I believe I read about 20% of the book before he reappeared aga
Sheri
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mirror of Souls by RJ Duperre

Fifteen year old Jaqueline Talbot moves to Mercy Hills with her Aunt. She just wants a normal life. She has a boyfriend that lives in a mirror, the popular kids want to be friends with her, and she meets a new group of (misfit) friends. Life is pretty good for her so far. She hears of the urban legend of monsters in the town, and when things get a bit rough Jackie just wants to run away with Mal (the boyfriend in her compact mirror). Then she finds out that the a
Runningrabbit
It's OK. I didn't finish it. Put on the 'not-my-cup-of-tea' shelf.
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tf
The story is a mixture of a girl at a new school, leaving a past behind, building her future, making friends, a boyfriend in a mirror and the supernatural. Wait....what?...A boyfriend in a mirror?! That’s normal right??

I really liked this story. It tackles an extremely hard and stereotypical subject in foster care right at the start of the book with abuse and rape and it does it well. (second book in the week on this subject). Jacqueline, aka Jackie, lives with the Gelicks, Papa Gelick a pastor
Jessica Bronder
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jacqueline Talbot has had a rough go. Her father is a murderer and her mother passed away leaving her an orphan. She has been bounced between foster homes and then her Aunt Mitzy shows up to rescue her and take her back to the family home. She makes friends easily in Mercy Hills but has a secret. Jacqueline’s best friend, Mal is a ghost in her compact. This keeps her busy trying to find a way to free him. But there is more to Mercy Hills than what you see on the outside. The monsters are rising ...more
Susan
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jacqueline is fifteen years old and has been living in foster homes. Her Aunt Mitzy shows up to claim her and Jackie gets a new start. She wants that as her father is in prison for killing 300 people. Her mother died when she was young. She makes friends with the "popular" kids at school but then becomes friends with misfit students. The popular kids say no way can you be friends with them. So who ends up being her friends? That is something Jackie must decide. She has one true friend -- a boy i ...more
Jasmine
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Boy in the Mirror is...it's a strange and unique story. I enjoyed it, but it was definitely a wild ride, and definitely not quite what I was expecting. That's a good thing, though. I like when books are different.

It starts off kind of graphic, actually, with two little boys exploring somewhere they shouldn't be. I won't say what happens, but it was surprisingly shocking.

The next chapter seems relatively normal, and the story starts introducing our main character, Jacqueline. She's got no parents
Bailey Ember
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy, horror
This novel is written in such a unique way. There is a LOT to learn about the world Robert J. Duperre is taking us into and the characters. A significant part of this novel is backstory and getting the reader up to speed.

There is an immense level of detail the author puts into his setting and characters and I think that helps the reader imagine the characters and world vividly.

There are some grittier/darker aspects of the novel and the horror aspect is definitely present. I personally thought i
C. Gonzales
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy, horror
This was a mix of fantasy and horror that really made me think on a deeper level than most novels of its same genre.

There is a lot going on and a lot to understand since you are diving into a new world. I think that Robert J. Duperre really managed to keep his readers up to speed by giving them just enough along the way without making them feel lost or bogged down with information.

I loved the grittiness of the novel. Definitely a thrilling novel.
Gina Stamper
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, horror
This novel had a powerful main character and a powerful underlying perseverance. I liked the way the author set up the novel and the history he made sure to give the reader so that they came to understand the situation.

I felt like everything really flowed smoothly and led to an easy read. There are definitely some darker moments throughout, so not for the faint of heart. A wonderful YA Fantasy and Horror!
A. Powers
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I had no idea what was happening in this book half the time. The non-fantasy parts of the story (being a foster child, moving away to start over with her aunt) were more entertaining than the fantasy of the story.
Melissa Young
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was definitely a great read. The pacing overall was good, which at 355 pages is kind of a must when you have little time (like I do) to read. The second half of the book was a page turner. And the conclusion left me eager for the release of the second book.

First, I will admit that the synopsis of the book had me thinking that this story would ultimately be about Jacqueline Talbot and her quest to free Mal, the boy in the mirror. But to me, it felt more like a side story than the overall foc
Sandra Burns
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

A young girl, parents dead, tossed about in foster care. Her only friend at the time, the boy in the mirror. Taken in by her Aunt, she begins to have a life. A strange life.
Cat
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-freebie
An author I'm a fan of recommended this book, so I took a chance. Keep in mind that 2 stars just means "it was ok" and this was by no means a bad book. I just wasn't in to it.

Jackie - the heroine of the book - was interesting, but I couldn't stand her. She made terrible decisions over and over again, though I understand she's 15 and had a crappy upbringing it mostly just felt like poor excuses.

Anyhow, this book felt like it just kept going on and on...and on and on...
Beth
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Escape

I simply loved this book. Mirror of Souls is a book that g r bas your attention from the beginning,making it very hard to put down And just when you think you have the plot figured out,the author throws In another twist. Well done.
Tiffany
teryn berard
Sep 14, 2018
Jacinto Bowks
Feb 03, 2016
RABT Book Tours: Boy in the Mirror by Robert J. Duperre 1 2 May 31, 2018 09:58PM
  • The Light of the World
  • The Horny Leprechaun 1
  • Captured (Vampire King, #2)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Six Weeks
  • Dawn of Swords (Breaking World, #1)
  • Hacienda Moon (PathSeekers, #1)
  • Murder on Olympus (Plato Jones #1)
  • To Catch Her Death (Grim Reality, #1)
  • The Deep and Snowy Wood (Christmas Picture Book)
  • The Cactus Killer (The Inglewood Chronicles, #1)
  • The Blood of Before  (The Bones of the Earth, #0.1)
  • The Guardians: Earth (Guardians #1)
  • Bloody Beginnings (Isabella Howerton #1)
  • Second Sight (Oracles #2)
  • Forced By A Werewolf
  • Taming Shadows (Revelations #1)
  • Courage and Other Demons
Born on Cape Cod and raised in northern Connecticut, Robert Duperre is a writer whose main ambition is to create works that defy genre. His first novel, "The Fall: The Rift Book I" is now available in paperback and for the Amazon Kindle.

Robert lives with his wife, the artist Jessica Torrant, his three wonderful children, and Leonardo, the super one-eyed Labrador.

The Infinity Trials (4 books)
  • Wolves at the Door (The Infinity Trials, #2)
  • Lost in the Shadows (The Infinity Trials, #3)
  • Queen of the Dead (The Infinity Trials, #4)