Start by marking “Ego-Tripping and Other Poems for Young People” as Want to Read:
Ego-Tripping and Other Poems for Young People

Ego-Tripping and Other Poems for Young People

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  222 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Insightful and fun, this collection of poetry captures the essence of the African American experience for young people.
Published November 1st 1993 by Chicago Review Press (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Ego-Tripping and Other Poems for Young People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ego-Tripping and Other Poems for Young People

Brandon
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Didn't think I was going to find another American poet I could care very much about. I was wrong.

Certainly didn't think I was going to find a poet besides e.e. who could write a love poem. Wrong about that too.

Didn't think there was much Americana of consequence between '50 and '80 that wasn't stamped "Ginsberg" "Vonnegut" or "Baldwin." Wrong about that, too.

It's a really good wrong to be
Nikki
Sep 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What can I say...she is my idol, my mentor, my namesake!!! I am excited to give this book to my nephews!
Tamera
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-authors
Ego-Tripping is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE poems. She is a MASTER! And very friendly in person FYI!!!!!
Rebecca Moon
Copyright date: 1993
Number of pages: 76
Grades: 5th – 7th
Where you identified the author: Our Textbook

2. Book Annotation: Nikki Giovanni writes poems that would be easy for children in a middle-class or low-income African American community to identify with.
3. Literary Category: Historical Fiction
4. Reading Notes: In classic Giovanni style, these
CH - Marvin Childress
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-k-8
Author: Nikki Giovanni; Grades: 3-8

Ego-Tripping is a collection of poems for young people that touches on everything from self-awareness to drug use. Nikki Giovanni finds moments in time, particularly black youth moments, that report on cultural issues.

This is a great book. Some of the poems are not the greatest, but there is something in it for everyone. At some point, the reader can relate to, or be inspired by one of the poems. I like the original artwork a lot better. I would use this book w
Cara Byrne
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great poetry collection that captures the political and artistic voice of the black arts movement flawlessly. It's interesting to compare this edition to the first printing in the relocation of specific poems and the reframing of the work by Virginia Hamilton.
Nicole
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great pre-teen book for gaining confidence, especially the Ego-Tripping poem.
Kesha
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautiful poems with a heavy Afro-centric vibe to reflect the times they were created. I would not recommend for young people due to the mature language several poems contain.
Brandy
May 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
An excellent work for young adults!
Amani Watson
Apr 07, 2010 rated it liked it
That there was a lot of things going on for the colored people like racism and segregation and they couldn't help but to speak in their minds.
  • Honey, I Love and Other Love Poems
  • Homemade Love: Picture Book
  • Roots and Blues: A Celebration
  • The Marvelous Arithmetics of Distance: Poems, 1987-1992
  • Chess Rumble
  • The Blacker the Berry
  • The Language of Life: A Festival of Poets
  • Many Thousand Gone: African Americans from Slavery to Freedom
  • Borrowed Names: Poems About Laura Ingalls Wilder, Madam C.J. Walker, Marie Curie, and Their Daughters
  • Her Blue Body Everything We Know: Earthling Poems 1965-1990 Complete
  • Word of Mouth: Poems Featured on NPR's All Things Considered
  • Poetry Like Bread: Poets of the Political Imagination from Curbstone Press
  • Please Bury Me in the Library
22050
Yolande Cornelia "Nikki" Giovanni is a Grammy-nominated American poet, activist and author. She has written numerous volumes of poetry and has been honored with loads of awards, including 20 honorary degrees from national colleges and universities. Her poems are undeniably authentic distillations of black life in America. She was editor of Fisk University's literary magazine. She lives in Blacksbu ...more
More about Nikki Giovanni...