Start by marking “Hoist on My Own Petard: Or: How Writing 10% Happier Threw My Own Advice Right Back in My Face” as Want to Read:

I wrote a memoir about a fidgety, skeptical newsman who reluctantly becomes a meditator to deal with his issues – and in the process of publishing it, I occasionally, to my embarrassment, found myself failing to practice what I preach. I was kind of like a dog that soils the rug, and the universe kept shoving my face into it.

In 2014, Dan Harris published his memoir 10%

Published January 6th 2015 by Dey Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Hoist on My Own Petard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hoist on My Own Petard

Start your review of Hoist on My Own Petard: Or: How Writing 10% Happier Threw My Own Advice Right Back in My Face
Oliver
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Something of a free teaser for people on the fence about reading '10% Happier'. Still a very good read though. If you're wondering if '10% Happier' is for you, go ahead and read this - it's a free Kindle download. It's a great preview of the full book (which is excellent by the way).

On the other hand, you could also just watch the talk he gave at Google. It's available on YouTube here. It covers much of the same ground, and is actually a great primer for his book.
bfilbeck
Jan 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
This is an 8 page "book" followed by a chapter from his previous book--basically a pathetic attempt to get you to buy the other book. It fails miserably. The book is free and is still overpriced.

Dan Harris' life story portrays a narcissistic man who got lots of breaks in life based on the prominence of his parents, failed to capitalize on any of them, and apparently still does not recognize this yet.

Don't waste your time with this one.
Neka
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This isn't really a book but a prologue and self-promotion of the "10% happier" book with two free chapters of said book to get you hooked. But it did get me hooked. Dan' story (so far) is interesting and seems honest to the point where I bought his book not because I wanted to know how to get 10% happier (I don't really care, I'm weird like that) but because I want to know more about his journey.
Stephen Story
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is basically a new forward to 10 percent happier. It's a nice little follow-up for anyone who has read the book. It's also a great reminder to keep going with a meditation practice or any other habit you are working on. Harris's signature humor and honesty are on display. Plus, it's a free download. I don't understand the negative reviews. Pick it up if you've read 10 percent happier.
Chris
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-19
I was thinking there would be more material here,
but it's mainly just the first chapter of his book.
A bit longer than the free sample, so worth reading
if you're on the fence about buying his book.
Ann
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, own-book
I did expect there to be a little more to it than this...just a handful of original pages and then it was the opening chapter of 10% Happier, which I’ve already read. But I like Dan Harris and I’m looking forward to reading his new book.
Diarmuid Fogarty
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just a sample chapter

All this is is a sample chapter from the book 10% happier . If you already have the book, this adds nothing to it. That said, the book is a very good one. If you don't have it, why not think about buying it ?
Sgt Rick
Dec 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read 10% Happier a couple years ago. Liked it. I believed that I got some good advice. When I saw this book I mistakenly thought it was a sequel. Turns out it is either a "prequel" or a teaser. Either way … not what I expected. Glad it did not cost $. Booo
Lisa
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is really the cliff notes for the book. I'm not sure why he wrote it, unless as a marketing tool for the book. I read this AFTER the book so for me it was irrelevant.
Mavourneen
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not What I Expected

I enjoyed reading this excerpt, but had hoped to read more about 10% Happier. 4 stars for the funny yet serious tone of writing.
Bartlett Morgan
Jan 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ripoff. This is literally just the first part of his first book.

literally!!!
I'm not impressed with this. At. All.

12 more words required. Post on Amazon for com.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Free promotional item.
Evan
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick essay updating the readers of 10% Happier that Dan Harris, like us all, can still be a bit of a jerk whose emotions run wild, even after writing and speaking as an expert on mediation practice. The eBook itself was a bit tough to navigate, as on my device the table of contents was misformatted and I ended up rereading the bonus chapter before finding the new content. It was nice to review, but it took me several minutes to figure out why this seemed so familiar. The 'Hoist on...' essay c ...more
Mario MJ Perron
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
What's the book about

While it's an entertaining read, it's all introduction. The entire book is an anecdote that ends at the point where the author makes his realization or his aha moment... sadly it stops just before the reveal.
Is it well written? Yes.
Is it a fun read? Yes.
Is it informative?
Not in my opinion.
I have to guess that his sequel reveals his epiphany.
Rita Clendenning
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A insightful look into Dan Harris live

This book gives us a look inside your insecurities. It also shows something we all have to to deal with that we will be found out that we are all afraid to fail.
Marlene
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the stories the author shared. Nothing was held back as Dan Harris told about his travels, adventures, and life struggles. This is a memoir that is not only fun to read, but ends with a lesson that everyone in life could use.
Jeff Raymond
Not worth rating because it's basically a 10 page vehicle to promote the broader 10% Happier book (which is good!). Not worth reading even if you liked the book, though. Basically no meat to it.
Jeannine
Jan 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-development
This should not have been a book... it's a few pages addendum to his earlier work "10% Happier) with a repeat chapter from that book. Basically all it says is despite what I learned from meditation I still failed occasionally... isn't that the essence of learning and growing?
Jessie
This is an article, not a book. It's a nice article about what happens when an author is held accountable for his words and comes up a bit short.

E-Book Sellers! Quit selling things as books when they are short stories or articles.
Teri Gillen
Oct 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Yup. Just the start of 10% Happier.

Don't bother. Nothing new here. Spend your money on 10% Happier. I loved it and will probably reread it. Amen
Hhharvey
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What comes next

Very easy read and interesting but is that it. What comes next. Such an abrupt ending without any warning. What is the rest of the story.
January
Interesting to see how Dan dealt with the publication of his book (which I just finished) but there wasn't any new insight here.
Jen Morrison
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really great advice told in an entertaining way. For anyone looking to try meditation, this book is a good place to start.
Kai L Hansen

• Caffeine: How Caffeine Created the Modern World
  • Daditude: The Joys & Absurdities of Modern Fatherhood
  • How Not to F*ck Up Your Kids Too Bad
  • The Headspace Guide to Meditation & Mindfulness
  • The Montessori Toddler: A Parent's Guide to Raising a Curious and Responsible Human Being
  • Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment
  • A Dog's Life
  • The Polar Bear Expedition: The Heroes of America's Forgotten Invasion of Russia, 1918-1919
  • The Dharma Bums
  • On Booze
  • American Steel
  • The Philosophical Baby: What Children's Minds Tell Us About Truth, Love, and the Meaning of Life
  • Door to a Dark Room
  • Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours
  • Tanks in Hell: A Marine Corps Tank Company on Tarawa
  • The new rules of coffee: a modern guide for everyone
  • The Whole-Body Approach to Osteoporosis: How to Improve Bone Strength and Reduce Your Fracture Risk
Dan Harris is the coanchor of Nightline and the weekend editions of Good Morning America. He regularly reports for 20/20, World News with Diane Sawyer, and the weekday editions of Good Morning America. Before joining ABC News fourteen years ago, he worked for local news outlets in Boston and Maine. He lives with his wife, Bianca, in New York City. 10% Happier is his first book.

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...
“Most of us are so entranced by the nonstop conversation we’re having with ourselves that we aren’t even aware we have a voice in our head. I” 0 likes