Start by marking “Poppy” as Want to Read:
Poppy

Poppy

(Dimwood Forest #2)

At the very edge of Dimwood Forest stood an old charred oak where, silhouetted by the moon, a great horned owl sat waiting. The owl's name was Mr. Ocax, and he looked like death himself. With his piercing gaze, he surveyed the lands he called his own, watching for the creatures he considered his subjects. Not one of them ever dared to cross his path . . . until the ...more
Unknown Binding, 163 pages
Published May 3rd 2005 by Scholastic (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Poppy, please sign up.
Trinity
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Poppy
Samantha
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone =)
I usually love owls, they are majestic and brave and wise.....I can't really say the same for the antagonist in this lovely tale. Mr. Ocax is a great-horned owl that I can't really say I like. He is a marvelous antagonist. Not my favorite, but still one of the best I've encountered in my many years of reading.

Poppy is a very brave heroine. She is small, scared and mistaught all her life. She loves deeply and grieves extensively for her boyfriend Ragweed who was sadly eaten by Mr. Ocax on the
Sheri
Oct 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teachers of elementary grades
Recommended to Sheri by: Second grade teacher
I read this for 5 years straight as a read aloud to my third grade class and they loved the story. They even checked it out and read it again themselves. Great book with animals and a great story of courage of Poppy.
Joey Oborne
In the 1st some chapters I did not like the book but then when Poppy when the see New House the story got better because Poppy when on a adventure so the story got better and at the end the story changed a lot.
Judy
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.8

One of my nieces read this many years ago and told me that it was good and I should read it. Finally, I have read it and I can see its appeal. It reminds me of The School Mouse by Dick King-Smith.

Curiosity without 'wisdom' can lead to trouble. But asking questions and seeking answers are valuable life skills.
Katie Lawrence
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
I really wanted to like this book, especially because it is by Avi who I consider to be a really great author. I also am a big fan of animal hero books like the Redwall series and Watership Down, unfortunately this book did not live up to either of those series. Poppy is a strong enough heroine and the story is somewhat realistic with regard to how nature actually works. I think some of my students would be traumatized by the speedy, barely dealt with death of a main character in the first ...more
Mackenzie L
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was excellent but, the first chapters were boring. I think that when Poppy met Ereth,the whole entire book, you could not put it down. That was how great it was!
Lindsey Carnicella
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a great read aloud book. Our family actually just listened to it on audio, and it was so so enjoyable. Kiddos 5 and 3 both enjoyed and spoke about the characters often! My 5 yo wanted to start it over as soon as it was finished! Fantastic characters and the audio version had a wonderful narrator. If only I could remember some of Ereths sayings! Set the bar high for future read alouds. Would be a good reread. ...more
Colleen
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Zach read this in class, liked it so much, checked it out from the library and read it again. A story of being strong even when you are afraid, and not letting the powerful control you when they rule with cruelty.
Kassidy
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
For a small book, this was very detailed and well written. It is strange to be in the point of view of a mouse, being small and all, but the adventure is just as big.
Rachael Stoldt
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The boys really enjoyed this book as a read aloud.
Kristen Luppino
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of what our 4th graders are reading for book bowl. I really enjoy Poppy as a female lead and her exploration of leadership. Wish I had realized it was the second book in a series earlier, but fun nonetheless! Also deals with death and other tough subjects in a thoughtful way.
Irene
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older Elementary Grades, Maybe Grades 2 or 3 through 5
Recommended to Irene by: Isabelle's 1st Grade Teacher
Shelves: children
sarafem
Mar 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: avi, 2008
Really, there are too many damn kid's stories about mice. What is the attraction? The Tale of Desperaux, the Ralph Mouse Cleary series, about a billion picture books. And now this series too. I guess mice are cute when they aren't pooing in your silverware drawer or chewing through your favorite sweaters. I don't really get the attraction. I only read this book because it was Avi; I had no interest in yet another mouse story. These books multiply as if they were rodents themselves. That's not ...more
Loralee
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-kids
I think technically we were supposed to read 'Ragweed' first, but the kids didn't have any problem following along and keeping up with the characters. This is one of the best books we've read together in terms of forcing the kids to really think about why certain characters act and think the way they do. They really made connections about the character's motives and how that plays out in the story. They also loved the map at the beginning and we kept referring back to the map to help us ...more
Marika Gillis
This is a cute story about a deer mouse who, with a little help from a cranky porcupine, saves her family from the clutches of a great horned owl who has been deceiving and bullying the mouse family for years. The animals in this book are amazing characters, so well-developed and engaging. I want to find a way to use this book with my third graders next year, and I will definitely read this one with my kids one day!
Michael M
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was a realy good book. I liked how the book had all these chalenges that a normal person would think easy like when Poppy crosses the stream. I also liked how Ereth would call Poppy names like Plopy and Flopy and that cracked me up. I liked this book alot and I thought this book would be great for anyone who likes books that you can never put down and are very exciting.
Chris
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyed reading this book to my third graders years ago and enjoyed reading it again. Love the characters, especially the "mouse eating" porcupine. Good reading for third graders and up. Does contain violence and death.
Amy
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
One of the best read alouds ever! Starts with a bang...and ohm the writing is so great! Vivid verbs, great descriptions, always becomes a classroom favorite! I've read every year since 1999!
Amber
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
"She knew better. Look at all the trouble she'd caused. Just then she hated herself for having loved Ragweed. But just to think that thought made her heart ache."

This is the second Avi book I've ever read, but I will sleep on his books no more. Poppy, our young mouse heroine, faces real danger in the vengeful pursuit of Mr. Ocax, a great horned owl who instills fear and loathing into the mice inhabiting the abandoned Gray House. I loved the rich descriptions of the forbidding yet lush forest
Rebekah Byson
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable read aloud. Classic story of the small vs the powerful bully. Poppy is a brave mouse heroine who goes on an adventure to save her family and begins to question everything she was taught.
Cassie Durrance
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
This was a wonderful read aloud for my 3, 6 and 8 year old. They all thoroughly enjoyed the story, even my husband (who is not a reader) sat and listened! I loved the beautiful language and the discussion the new vocabulary created amongst us. A great story for an audience of all ages.
Hrishi
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this Book. Poppy (The main character) went with Ragweed to Banuk Hill. Mr.Ocax ( a Great Horned Owl) was the ruler of the territory is what the mice thought but Ragweed did not bealive that and he and Poppy went to Banuk hill but unfortunetly Ragweed is eaten up by Mr.Ocax. She manages to escape but is injured. When she returns home(Gray House) her father(Lungurat) has a emergency meeting that informs everyone in the family that there is not enough food to feed the family and we will ...more
Amelia
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a long book and you probleby think you can not read it but READ IT because it is SUPER interesting and you get more and more into it as you read.
Clara
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was so amazing!!!!! Definitely a new favorite!
Carrie
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mgr
This was a book I read aloud to my daughter, she cried at the start and at the end. She's a sotfy like her mama.
Debra Barstad
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute book even thou the first chapter was sad with the death of Ragweed. Poppy sure has a great adventure thou.
Nancy Smith
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, short story of adventure, courage and triumph over fear. Short enough for kids, would make a good read aloud.
Erin Estes
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
wow! i read this when i was lil and i forgot all that happened. what the heck! this is so good read it
Caroline
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Poppy was a very sweet story. I really enjoyed the sense of adventure and the message to believe in yourself. It was a quick, fun read that I think any emerging chapter book reader would enjoy!
Brittany
We enjoyed this book however I was disappointed at the considerable amount of editing on-the-fly of Ereths language I had to do for my 3 kids (ages 3-6). ...more
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Children's book: dead mouse. [s] 5 25 Jan 07, 2020 06:34AM
sos 1 1 Mar 14, 2019 02:00AM
Books 'n More: Request Shelter 4 5 Apr 14, 2016 03:43AM
Books 'n More: Claiming 5 5 Apr 13, 2016 06:14PM
Books 'n More: Create a character 9 5 Apr 05, 2016 03:57PM
Books 'n More: Azalea's shelter 2 4 Apr 05, 2016 12:56PM

• Egyptian Diary: The Journal of Nakht
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1 (Tales from the Odyssey #1-3)
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 2
  • Capyboppy
  • 26 Fairmount Avenue (26 Fairmount Avenue, #1)
  • The Prairie Thief
  • The Bears on Hemlock Mountain
  • The Cricket in Times Square (Chester Cricket and His Friends, #1)
  • The Trumpet of the Swan
  • Nim's Island (Nim #1)
  • A Shadow in RiverClan (Warriors Manga)
  • Three Tales of My Father's Dragon
  • Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, a Toughy Little Buffalo, and Someone Called Plastic (Toys #1)
  • Miss Hickory
  • My Life in Dog Years
  • The Family Under the Bridge
  • The Poppy Seeds
  • The Storm (The Lighthouse Family, #1)
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use." Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and the Crispin series. His work is popular among readers young and old.

Dimwood Forest (7 books)