Start by marking “Clifford's ABC” as Want to Read:
Clifford's ABC

Clifford's ABC (Clifford the Big Red Dog)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  250 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Clifford tells the children what words begin with a particular letter of the alphabet.
Published September 1st 1986 by Cartwheel (first published September 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Clifford's ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clifford's ABC

Kristen
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
My daughter loved this book. I had such a good time reading this with her because I was able to see just how much she's been learning the last few months.

She always enjoyed Clifford books because she loves dogs...and she loves that Clifford is a BIG dog.

At the beginning and end of this book, all of the letters are spread over 2 pages, and Clifford is playing with each letter. I said each letter, and she repeated it after me. When we got to letters she recognized, she would say "B for Brooklyn",
Rosalinda
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Setting: N/A
POV: N/A

Summary: This book is great for introducing young students to the alphabet. The author of this book includes a list of words that begin with the particular letter on each page. I believe including a list of words in addition to an illustration is very beneficial for young students. They are introduced to a variety of words that will help them remember each letter of the alphabet. There is no story or setting to this book but the memorable characters, Clifford and Emily Eliza
Jenn Swanson
This book is full of pictures and shows kids what they can associate with each letter of the alphabet. My daughter enjoyed this book. Would recommend.
Mika Perez
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-liy
I like the fact that in Clifford's ABC one sees multiple illustrations for multiple words for each letter. However, some important traits of an alphabet book are missing. The lowercase letters are not what are taught in the schools, there is no interesting story to keep a child interested, and they use different variations of each letter in the words - which can confuse children terribly. This would be good for older kids, but teaching children out of this book doesn't seem fully realistic, even ...more
Elizabeth S
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-picture
Does NOT have a story. Each page covers one letter of the alphabet. You see Clifford and Emily Elizabeth with labeled objects that all begin with the designated letter. There is also a list of all the objects to the side, to help you in talking with your toddler about them. More useful as a device for conversation with your toddler about letters.
Maddison Askew
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abc-books
This book is great for younger children. There are multiple pictures for each letter and they are used in many ways. You could use this in the classroom by having the student come up with multiple words for each letter. This book includes tons of illustrations that children will love and understand.
Sarah Adamson
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This is a nice alphabet book teaching children words beginning with each letter using a combination of pictures and words to help readers at each stage. Adding Clifford may make it appeal to more readers.
Rebecca Durham sagoe
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I loved this book because it would be perfect to use in a kindergarten classroom. For each letter it has specific words that start with that letter in the book. I love this because kids will be able to remember their letters better when associating the letter with something they like.
Erika
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: march
I thought this book was okay. It's a good way to introduce words that begin with different letters of the alphabet. I felt like there was an overwhelming amount of words for each letter though. I probably wouldn't use this book until the child really knows the alphabet.
Courtney Howard
This book is ideal for young children. For each letter there are multiple pictures and uses the letters in different ways. You could use this by having students come up with ohter words for each letter
Jen Roark
I really like Clifford's ABC by Norman Bridwell because it expands the kids vocabulary. Instead of just listing the letters and possibly one word that starts with the letter, she lists several words.. This is good because it lets kids understand more words which will help them in the future.
Amanda
Oct 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
This one turned out to be a winner, as I supposed it would when pre-reading it. For each letter there is a whole list and picture with each item in the list. After a while, when I read a word off the list, my son would start finding the words on the page. Helpful for a pre-reader.
Cory
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: march
I love Clifford!This book is a great book to learn one's ABC's. I think that children reflect well with the Clifford character and the fun loving stories he has. I highly recommend this book.
Nancy
Nov 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Bridwell’s very cute dog Clifford introduces each letter of the alphabet with loads of examples. A good ABC book for young children, especially for fans of Clifford.
Ruthie
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it
One of the LONGEST books ive read!!!!
Cornelius
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
For kindergarten children, I would use this book in the classroom to help children learn vocabulary words that begins with the letters of the alphabet from A-Z.
PWRL
Nov 05, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Shannon
Aug 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1987
See my comments on Count on Clifford... I also remember being annoyed it wasn't ABCs or ABC's instead of ABC.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review
good early reader, using texet to relate to the television show
Eireanne
Jul 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: booklist-books
On the suggested summer reading list for students.
ABC
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
There is nothing special about this ABC book. It is a little outdated with words like "Eskimo."
Russell
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Why is the wolf a werewolf? Wouldn't an actual wolf have sufficed? Do all elves have antennae? Bridwell is clearly off the rails, here.
Braden
Feb 28, 2012
Sheenagh Morrison
Jun 01, 2016
Heather
rated it did not like it
May 11, 2008
  • The Handmade Alphabet
  • The Rescuers Down Under
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Ghost of the Forest
  • More Spaghetti, I Say!
  • Frog Goes to Dinner (A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog)
  • Curious George Plays Baseball
  • The Enormous Potato
  • The Magic School Bus Out Of This World: A Book About Space Rocks
  • Deep in the Forest
  • I Can Be a Pet Vet (Barbie) (Step into Reading)
  • America: A Patriotic Primer
  • Who Made This Cake?
  • Pumpkin Town!  Or, Nothing Is Better and Worse Than Pumpkins
Norman Bridwell is an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He currently resides on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he continues to write an average of two books a year.

More about Norman Bridwell...

Clifford the Big Red Dog (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Clifford Gets a Job
  • Clifford Takes A Trip
  • Clifford's Halloween
  • Clifford's Tricks (Clifford)
  • Clifford The Small Red Puppy