Start by marking “The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette

The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  5,738 Ratings  ·  555 Reviews
Awaiting her execution, Marie Antoinette writes the story of her life in a diary that describes her privileged childhood as an Austrian archduchess, years as the glamorous mistress of Versailles, her love affair with a handsome Swedish diplomat, flight from France, and imprisonment during the French Revolution.
Published (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette, please sign up.

Konstantin Eric, Amelie, Sophie and father Kunigbert are the only ones who aren't really historical figures. Lulu is, as well as Axel Fersen and the other…moreEric, Amelie, Sophie and father Kunigbert are the only ones who aren't really historical figures. Lulu is, as well as Axel Fersen and the other persons mentioned in it.(less)

Stacey
Jan 31, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Carrolly Erickson does everything in her power in this book to make Marie Antoinette appear self-absorbed, insensitive, vacuous, and oversexed, then expects you to be incensed when her enemies come to the same conclusion. I was baffled why suddenly she was some Great Queen who was victimized by the cruel powers of fate. I was like, wait, I'm supposed to like her? Did I nap through the part where she did a single redeemable thing? I mean, I think she gave, like, bread to some poor people once, bu ...more
Candi
This was a decent historical fiction novel written in a diary format, which provides a first person voice to the life of Marie Antoinette. As the author notes at the conclusion of the book, this is “a work of fiction, not fact – a historical entertainment, not an attempt at historical reconstruction.” I found the book interesting and the time period fascinating. Not having a lot of background knowledge on this subject, I tried to keep in the back of my mind that this was meant to be entertaining ...more
K.D. Absolutely
My second time to read a biography of the deposed Queen of France Marie Antoinette (1755-1793). The first book I read about her was Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette: The Journey (4 stars). I really liked it so I told myself that I wanted to read more books about this queen.

If Fraser's book is told in third person, this book by Erickson is told in first person because this is supposed to be from a secret diary of Marie Antoinette that she kept prior to her death by guillotine. That made the rea
Anna  Gibson
It's no secret that I enjoy historical accuracy when it comes to historical fiction, particularly when it's about my favorite subject, Marie Antoinette. But in the end when it comes to accuracy, I ask myself: "Could this book/the events/the characterization have been plausible, and was it a good read?" The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette, unfortunately, was neither of those things for me.

The author strays so far from historical accuracy that I'm left to wonder... why write this book about "Mar
Nancy
Dec 13, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author calls this book a historical entertainment -- which means she invents characters to interact with historical figures. If I'm going to read historical entertainment, having to guess who is real and who isn't, I'd better at least be entertained. Not so much. Pretty bland, nothing special, felt like I was reading bad chick lit from the 1700s.
Maia B.
I had not expected a wonderful, thrilling, romantic read. I had not expected a great novel. I had not expected a novel that would become one of my favorites.

I did expect, however, a historically accurate, well-written, interesting book with characters I could relate to and like.

I did not get any of this.

Instead, what I got was a mediocre novel full of characters who were ill-explained and given clumsy personalities. And the historical accuracy...God help us.

Carolly Erickson is a historian. She h
First of all, this a fiction book, nothing to do with Marie Antoinette's biography.

Secondly, the story is based on the assumption that Marie Antoinette's had written a diary telling her whole life, from her youth in Austria until her execution by the guillotine.

Since the true story of this historical character is being very well described in the literature, this book doesn't bring any new fact among the already known destiny of Marie Antoinette, her husband, Louis XVI and their children.

I've rea
Paula
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Mrs. Antoinette was born before her time - she would definitely be giving Paris Hilton a run for her money right now.
Anna
Marie Antoinette is my favorite historical personage and I will read anything about her. While this isn't the most impressive out there in terms of writing quality (nothing groundbreaking or life-changing), it was a lot better than I expected it to be and was actually a really pleasant guilty pleasure novel. I liked the tone of voice used for Marie in her diary entries, and I thought a lot of it went with what I know of her character. I wasn't sure whether I liked the added fictional characters ...more
Becca
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mad about Royal H...: The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette by Carolly Erickson 2 2 Nov 02, 2015 08:09PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 05, 2015 10:12AM
Valerie's Mega Aw...: The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette - July 2014 9 8 Jul 25, 2014 01:30PM
does anyone know 7 56 Jul 19, 2014 01:06PM
  • Abundance
  • The Book of Eleanor: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • The Perfect Royal Mistress
  • Annette Vallon: A Novel of the French Revolution
  • The Bad Queen: Rules and Instructions for Marie-Antoinette (Young Royals, #6)
  • Louis the Well Beloved (French Revolution, #1)
  • Mistress of the Revolution
  • The Queen's Bastard
  • The Queen's Dollmaker
  • Duchess
  • Becoming Marie Antoinette (Marie Antoinette, #1)
Distinguished historian Carolly Erickson is the author of The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette, The First Elizabeth, Great Catherine, Alexandra and many other prize-winning works of fiction and nonfiction. She lives in Hawaii.

More about Carolly Erickson...
“I have never treasured any woman the way I treasure you now, this moment. You are all I think of, all I want.” 17 likes