Start by marking “Roses in the Tempest” as Want to Read:
Roses in the Tempest

Roses in the Tempest

In 16th century England, Isabella Launder little realizes the twists and turns her life is about to take as she surrenders herself to a small nunnery in order to forget her unrequited love of the courtier Thomas Giffard. She must learn--along with her sisters in Christ--the true nature of faith and survival, withstanding passionate jealousies, intrigues, and the emerging t ...more
Published April 11th 2015 by Old London Press (first published March 30th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Roses in the Tempest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roses in the Tempest

A Natural History of Dragons by Marie BrennanGirls in White Dresses by Jennifer CloseLighthouse Bay by Kimberley FreemanThe Oaken Throne by Robin JarvisIsabelle in the City by Laurence Yep
"Isabella"
109 books — 9 voters
A Summer of Secrets by Lorna PeelThe Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark TwainThe Secret Adversary by Agatha ChristieN or M? by Agatha ChristieThe Maze Runner by James Dashner
"Thomas" / "Tom"
134 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
Once more fangirling over Jeri Westerson! And she signed my copy of this book at the L.A. Times Festival of Books! Woo hoo! I made a point of making sure she was going to be there because I missed her last year.

Coherent review to come.

Okay, I'm coherent now. Somewhat.

Firstly, this book needs to be a movie. Netflix get to work! Now. Then again, Ms. Westerson's Crispin Guest novels need to be a miniseries like STAT. Hmm, need to work on the dreamcast.

Roses in the Tempest is that kind of immersive
eyes.2c
...of friendship and love, of power and pettiness!

Jeri Westerson does it again! Another wonderful piece of writing. A novel that looks at the other side of Henry VIII's destruction of places of religion, the pettiness and politics involved. The real hardship for those religious folks who had been cloistered for many years and then torn from all they knew and forced back into a society that they had been apart from for so long.
Partly also a love story, of love known too late. A story of women as
Jeri Westerson
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It is available in print and ebook!
Beth
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, for-fun
(Note: This review was originally published on my blog https://elizabethannsalem.wordpress.c... )

(Disclosure: I won a copy of this book in a giveaway from Westerson’s July 2015 newsletter.)

Jeri Westerson is best known for her Crispin Guest “medieval noir” mystery series, which I discovered a couple of years ago. Having enjoyed those books very much, I was thrilled to hear that she had written a novel set in the Tudor period (which for me is utter catnip). Roses in the Tempest was one of Westerso
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a well-written novel set in the reign of Henry VIII and primarily based upon the Dissolution of the Monasteries. It is unusual in it's perspective as it is told from the viewpoint of two platonic lovers, Isabella Launder and Thomas Giffard. Isabella is the daughter of a farmer and Thomas the son of a lord and therefore a marriage between them is off the cards, causing Isabella to choose a nun's life over marriage to any other man.
I was pleased to find that the author chose to portray Is
Pamela Hofman
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Since Jeri Westerson's Crispin Guest series is one of my favorites ever, I wanted to try this new book, even though it takes place in a completely different period. Crispin's medieval adventures in sleuthing with a darker noir edge take place during the reign of Richard II, while the events of "Roses in the Tempest" begin with a youngish Henry VIII. So many people are fascinated with the Tudor monarch, mainly because he notoriously had 6 wives, several to whom he wasn't exactly nice. "Roses in t ...more
Laura Ruetz
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you are not familiar with Jeri Westerson and approach historical novels with any amount of trepidation, don't. There is no boring history bits that overwhelm the plot with this book. What you get here is an excellent historical novel that pulls you in from the first few pages. It is neither dry nor so stuffed full of irrelevant facts that you feel like you are reading a history text with some plot.

This book is very well written. I love how you get told two sides of the story, from the altern
Jude
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a story which captures the momentuous impact the reign of Henry VIII had on England and all of Europe in a moving way. Expertly researched, and based on real people, this book paints a picture of a time where all the social structures and infrastructures of a country were turned topsy-turvey. But the characters and story woven by author Jeri Werstson is so commpelling, I was swept alongl, feeling what it must have been like to be a strong woman in those times.

All the characters have thei
Pamela Priest
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the Audible version of this book. The narrator is excellent. This book is very interesting and well done, I have it on my TBR pile. I never knew that King Henry VIII abolished all monasteries and nunneries during his reign, leaving none at all. I love all of Jeri's books, and I look forward to whatever she writes about next. Thank you, Jeri, and the narrator, for some interesting car rides!
Erin Davis
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jeri Westerson masterfully drew me in to the lives of Thomas Giffard & Isabella Launder. Unrequited love, courtly intrigue, the lives of the nuns at Blackladies... I devoured it all, and was sad to see the book end. All too often, historical fiction begins to take on the dryness of a textbook, with only a passing attempt at a story. This book doesn't do that. In fact, it engaged me and made me emotionally invested in what happened to these people.
donna k
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful love story!

Loved it from the beginning. Kept you guessing if they would ever be together. It showed how life was for the Catholics after King Henry renounced the Catholic Church. I would not have liked to live under the rule of a King during this period in time.
Sheri Wass
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a bittersweet story! I want to read it all over again.
Janet
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Liked it. Always interesting to see the dissolution from a different perspective, this time a lord and a prioress.
Meg
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Great characters and plot. The author's attention to detail and historical accuracy makes the story come alive - sight, sound, and smell. An all-around great read.
Amanda Lee VanVoorst
Orion008
Nov 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 2 2 May 22, 2015 07:33PM
Los Angeles native JERI WESTERSON is the author of eleven Crispin Guest Medieval Noir novels, a series nominated for 13 national awards from the Agatha to the Shamus. Her first in the series, Veil of Lies was named Editor’s Choice by the Historical Novel Society Review, her third The Demon’s Parchment received a coveted starred review by Library Journal, and her sixth, Shadow of the Alchemist, was ...more