Start by marking “Indian Tales” as Want to Read:
Indian Tales

Indian Tales

The stories you will find here come from all over the Indian subcontinent. Magical spirits in the mountains of the northeast, sneaky robbers and brave heroines in the heart of the Indus Valley; action and adventure in the far south, and much, much more!
Published September 1st 2007 by Barefoot Books

To ask other readers questions about Indian Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indian Tales

Start your review of Indian Tales
Rebecca Stonehill
Lovely stories and beautiful illustrations!
Peter Clothier
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I spent a delightful afternoon yesterday reading the Barefoot Books collection of Indian Tales, as told by Shenaaz Naji and illustrated by Christopher Corr. Barefoot Books aims to "celebrate art and story that opens the hearts and minds of children from all walks of life, inspiring them to read deeper, search further, and explore their own creative gifts." I was initially attracted to their list by a press release mentioning a collection of Buddhist Tales (more of this in a later post.) My new ...more
Canadian Children's Book Centre
The perfect read-aloud to foster multicultural learning, Barefoot Book’s Indian Tales is a bright,, informative collection of eight tales. Calgarian Shenaaz Nanji’s knowledge of Indian culture is evident throughout the book. Each story is from a different state in India and is introduced by a two-page explanation of the state’s unique culture. From Punjab, in the heart of the Indus Valley, comes the tale of Bopuluchi, a young, poor girl who outwits a witch and a robber. From Kerala, known as the ...more
Sara Darr
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of eight stories from the main states within India such as Rasjasthan, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu amongst a few others. Each story really immerses the reader into Indian life and although they are quite simple, for older children they carry a deeper meaning. The illustrations are wonderfully bright and really do capture the essence of India as they are vibrant, bold and eye catching. I particularly enjoyed the story of 'The Drummer Boy'.

I feel that this book would
Karen
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I am an Indian/Islamic historian getting married and starting a family soon, and I was browsing for some books of Indian folktales to read to my future children and stumbled across this one. It had the perfect combination for kids and adults. The stories were fun and full of good morals (honesty is the best policy, think for yourself, kindness is rewarded, etc.), they were short and easy for a bedtime story, the illustrations were GORGEOUS and each story began with a short ...more
Benjamin Zapata
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
A beautiful collection of folk-tales from different places in India, from Punjab in the north to Tamil Nadu in the south. Besides the eight tales in the book, there is also a lot of facts about India's culture,art,religions,rituals,etc. A very nice package from Barefoot Books. I wasn't thrilled with the illustrations, colorful though they were, but aside from that, I highly recommend this book! Some of my favorite tales: "The Drummer Boy", "Five Men in a Cart" and "Priya's Magic Bowl".
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This collection of folktales includes a tale from each of the major areas of India. Each tale is preceded by information--most interesting!--about each area that the tale takes place in. My favorites were "Hanuman's Adventures" (I love the Ramayana), the humorous "Five Men in a Cart," and the delightful "Priya's Magic Bowl." I wasn't thrilled with the illustrations, colorful though they were, but aside from that, I highly recommend this book!
Lauren
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was about the Indian culture. It had many stories that related to the Indian culture. This book is intended for 2-6 grades because it has a lot of reading to it. I think this book is a good fit because it talks about the history of the Indian culture. I could use this book in my classroom when we are talking about the different cultures of the world.
Tonia Kruczek
This can help the kids learn about a different culture. It would be cool to find tales from lots of different backgrounds and have a festival of nations type thing with reading books and creating something at the end to be shown in the festival.
Dawn
Q
Jan 27, 2012

• Now, That's Profound Charlie Brown
  • Snoopy Features as The Fitness Fanatic
  • It's All Yours, Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #45)
  • You Really Don't Look 50, Charlie Brown! (Peanuts Miscellaneous)
  • The Iron Man
  • Charlie Brown and Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #25)
  • Don't Give Up, Charlie Brown! (Peanuts Coronet, #41)
  • Who Was That Dog I Saw You With, Charlie Brown? (Peanuts Coronet, #36)
  • You're on Your Own, Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #43)
  • They're Playing Your Song, Charlie Brown (Peanuts Coronet, #53)
  • Your Choice, Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #38)
  • The Dot
  • Nobody's Perfect Charlie Brown (Peanuts Coronet, #14)
  • You're a Winner, Charlie Brown! (Peanuts Coronet, #1)
  • Just So Stories
  • City of the Beasts (Eagle and Jaguar, #1)
  • Stitching Snow
  • 17 First Kisses
Shenaaz Nanji was born on the ancient island of Mombasa, one of the oldest settlements on the East African coast, and grew up amid a fusion of cultures: Bantu-Swahili, Arabic, colonial British, and East Indian. Every year she visited her grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins in Uganda until Idi Amin turned them into refugees. She moved to the United States and lived in upstate New York before ...more