Start by marking “Outland” as Want to Read:
Outland

Outland

"When the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts, it's up to six university students and their experimental physics project to prevent the end of civilization. "

When an experiment to study quantum uncertainty goes spectacularly wrong, physics student Richard and his friends find that they have accidentally created an inter-dimensional portal. They connect to an alternate Earth wi
Kindle Edition, 1, 360 pages
Published January 2nd 2015

To ask other readers questions about Outland, please sign up.
Davis Andrews Author said revised book one reissued in late May 2019, book two to follow. He has a definite audio book contract for book two, so there is a strong p…moreAuthor said revised book one reissued in late May 2019, book two to follow. He has a definite audio book contract for book two, so there is a strong possibility it will be published at some point.(less)
Tim Healy The audiobook is awesome, with Ray Porter, who narrated the Bobiverse books, doing the reading. The audiobook is every bit as good as those.

Start your review of Outland
Trish
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I discovered this author thanks to the SpecFic group here on Goodreads when we started reading his Bobiverse series. The cool thing about Dennis E. Taylor is that he is a geek and has a twisted sense of humour most of the time - exactly my kind of guy! :D

This book (which supposedly is the first in a series) is about a group of students, who start a summer project at university, unwittingly coming up with the technology to open portals into other dimensions.
I'm no expert so I have to take the au
Bradley
If this is Taylor's first novel, I'm still hella impressed. It reminds me of a classic SF and modern topic mashup, kinda like a love-child between Pratchett/Baxter's Long Earth and classic Heinlein such as Tunnel in the Sky.

From a sheer enjoyment aspect, few books can beat it on the idea front. Uni-studs, crafty teachers hop world-lines in classic SF joy, building up to the grand and horrific spectacle of an erupting Yellowstone.

Yeah, I know, Long Earth did it, too, but this one, in a few speci
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/05/16/...

Before The Singularity Trap and before the Bobiverse, there was Outland, Dennis E. Taylor’s self-published debut that is now getting a re-issue and making its way to the audio format as an Audible Original. Although the story itself a little rough and unrefined, embedded here are the seeds of the author’s style that would emerge in his later works.

However, unlike Taylor’s spacefaring novels, Outland takes place in the pr
Char
Apr 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lot of fun, from beginning to end!

Scientists invent/create a gate to...earth. It's just earth from a different time period. A time period that seems to be untouched by humans. At a site where, in American history, lots of gold was found. They decide to hunt and pan for gold and then bring their findings back to our world where they will be rich forever and ever.

Then a supervolcano hits. One unlike any other ever seen in recorded history. Going through the gate for gold now becomes g
Leviathan Libraries
I received an ARC (should that be ALC if it's an Audible copy?) of this book from Audible for review consideration. This in no way affects my review (as anyone who has seen me rave over Ray Porter narrated books should know!)
--------------

I like the combination of Dennis E. Taylor and Ray Porter almost as much as I like Jonathan Maberry and Ray Porter. Y’all that is saying something! I mean, it’s true that Ray Porter possesses a nearly magical ability to bring stories to life instantly inside my
Jim
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1ebook, scifi, 2fiction
This is a space opera - a lot of big ideas that are shown through action-packed narrative & pretty good characters, although I had trouble keeping some of the original 4 guys straight. They tended to blend into 2 for me. Still, it didn't really matter & other characters popped well enough. The story itself was great. Much like RAH's Tunnel in the Sky.

I was in an area that got hit with 2 ash falls, about 3" IIRC, from Mt. Saint Helens, so I know what that is like. Taylor got it right. I always c
Kruunch
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Outland by Dennis Taylor is the first book in the Outland series and revolves around a few college students discovering parallel Earths .... conveniently just in time as the Yellowstone super volcano blows up threatening all life on this Earth.

I loved Dennis Taylor's other series, the Bobiverse. Unfortunately, not so much with this one. It's horribly cliche, unoriginal, the characters are one dimensional and the book just flies past solid plot building (your editor charging you per page or what?
Mark
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Title: Outland

Author: Dennis E. Taylor

Publication Date: Jan 2015

Genre: Sci-Fi

Score: 5/5

Well, this book was a surprise. I had the audio of “We are Legion, We are Bob” and enjoyed that so I looked for more fiction by Mr. Taylor and came across “Outland.” This novel tells the story of a group of college students who invent a dimensional gate leading to other Earths. In the meantime, the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts leaving our characters with a way out. They rescue as many people as they can, a
Sheryl
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Be aware before reading that this is book 1 in a series and that book 2 is not yet available (as of Jan 2017). It does not end with a cliffhanger but there is definitely much more to be explored story wise. It has a "comfortable" ending so I don't feel like I've been left dangling but I am definitely looking forward to book 2.

This is a quick, easy and very enjoyable read. Good characters and an exciting story. The major players are college students so while it's not exactly YA, it's not exactly
Lorraine Southern
A fitting follow-up to Sarah Lyons Fleming’s sterling Until The End of the World and City series.
My only complaint is that this is number 1 in a new series, but Taylor wrote this in 2015 and doesn't appear to be in any hurry to write number 2 ☹️
Karen’s Library
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I thoroughly enjoyed this audible original of Dennis E. Taylor's first book as performed by Ray Porter. As soon as I saw that there was a new audiobook out combining these two talents, I knew I had to have it. A group of college kids invent a portal to another earth right before an apocalypse hits. Sounded like fun to me! And it was!! I think if I'd read this story in print, I'd have rated it 4 stars, but because my favorite narrator performs the story, I enjoyed it that much more.

And it sounds
Luke Burrage

Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #399.

"Luke talks with Juliane about Outland by Dennis E Taylor, a book that he wanted to be like the book he wanted The Many Colored Land to be like. Neither are really that book."

Advanced copy provided by Audible for review purposes.
Karen
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
You had me at "supervolcano". 🌋 I never would have found this book without a recommendation from Audible. And I'm so glad they did! This was a very entertaining adventure about a couple groups of college students. One group has developed a portal to an alternate earth where humans never evolved. The other are geologists following the pending eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano. First they get together to pan for gold on alternate-earth. Apparently this is the dream of all all physicists hop ...more
Dave Stone
Surprised how much I enjoyed this
I freaking LOVE the Bobiverse.
It's about as original as anything can be in Sci-Fi without being totally incomprehensible.
Dennis E. Taylor's non Bob books are not as original, and this one is the most derivative yet.
...and yet. I really really enjoyed it. Once I got over the fact that this is a reimagining of "The Long Earth" by Terry Pratchett, Stephen Baxter, and just relaxed and read the damn book, I really got into it.
Fun characters, Good pacing, Well though
Chip
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
3.5 stars. Far, far from a literary masterpiece, but a fun, quick read. Kinda a cross between Robert J Sawyer (most of whose books are premised upon a particular "what if?", and interesting, but lacking in character development) and, say Clive Cussler. A little irked only this first book of the series is currently out, as it's the kinda of trilogy (or whatever) that is easily and quickly devoured (whereas in a month I doubt I'll recall much about any of the cardboard characters). ...more
Christopher
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting story, I like the premise of the super volcano, but the skills of the characters are just so implausible. I know good college students, and it just doesn’t make sense that a premed student would have so much medical knowledge or a geology grad student would be able to calculate volcanic effects in her head. By the end of the book I didn’t really like any of the characters. I didn’t care what happened to them. Unfortunately not recommended.
Kerri
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Writing 2
Characters 2
Plot 4

The writing in this is horrible, especially in the beginning. I'm not sure if it got better or if the plot just got better. The characters, although they are good people, are all annoying. The plot though is super different. Very far fetched but it kept me interested even with the bad points. I will not be reading the next one though.
Donatas
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I've finished maybe 2/3 of the book and simply couldn't continue. Part of it was Audible narrator whose voice was simply too heavy for college kids but the other part was that main characters were very shallow and didn't act like scientists would. ...more
Ivan
Aug 28, 2020 rated it did not like it
I had fun with Taylor's Bobiverse series and expected to enjoy this as a lighthearted sci-fi adventure. But I didn't like the characters, and I thought the dialogue and story seemed like some bad TV show. ...more
Karen
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another score by Dennis E. Taylor! Great sci-fi light.
Karli
Mar 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Dennis E Taylor is becoming one of my favorite authors! This is my 5th book and 5th 5 Star. So much fun!
Dave Packard
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, laser
When one event can throw this globe into a downward spiral that can obliterate civilization, we need another world to escape to. What if there was one right next door. Enjoyed this one from beginning to end. The concepts and use of those concepts were refreshing and really pulled me into the story. I recommend it!
Clyde
OK, it is now settled. I will read (or as in this case, listen to) anything by Dennis E. Taylor. He provides that perfect mix of nerdiness, action, characterization, snark, and world building that appeals to the SF fan in me.
In Outland an eclectic group of university students in Nebraska discover how to create stable inter-dimensional portals. They include a Newton/Einstein level genius, a geologist, an uber engineer, and several with more, um, "practical" skills.
They discover an alternate a
Jen
If you've read Dennis E. Taylor before (try Bobiverse) you'll know how technically detailed things can get. This story is no exception - I think what saves it is that the really smart guys have to dumb everything down for the other characters. Regardless, this is wonderful scifi.

There is some necessary suspension of disbelief, certainly. A bunch of college kids saving a small bit of the world? Maybe, because they really are pretty smart. But they do tend to figure out a lot of complicated stuff
Myth Oceanas
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
It was alright, nothing special. After it was over, I just felt like "yeah that was a book and it was good" no real wow factor or anything. I wish the book had more action to it, I felt of lot of it was just people sitting around talking, and only half the conversations had any real substance to them.

Rant about things that stuck out and really bothered me:

The dialogue feels flat and forced, like the kinda way nerds talk if they think they are being over heard. The jokes are also kinda lame, sinc
Gregoire
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, owned, apocalypse
quick read with nothing really new ! (in between The Long Earth and Eruption Then again, softer by all means : Genius guys and girls save their lives and what left of our present world without really great difficulties ...

While reading, i was a little angry with the author who don't care for "writing" and prefer "telling" but the good point is that he made me remember the "good old days" and the eternal optimism of the Young

(i can believe they go back only a few days after the super eruption wi
Eliatan
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
To be honest, I only bought this book because I loved the Bobiverse books so much that I thought I'd check out the author's other work. The first part of the story was pretty naff - low-rent writing and too many nerdy clichés, but then bang! The book finally took off.

The communist uni students save the day! The rest of the world is dying off/killing each other off, while in utopia we can all just get along and pitch in to get the work done. Good luck with that, kiddies!

But you can be sure when
Steve Naylor
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 4.0 stars

I liked this book. There were 2 different stories told. The first half of the book was how they group found the new world and then all the things they went through to scout that world and get everything they needed to survive while they were there collecting gold. The second half of the book is dealing with the fallout from the yellowstone explosion. This was more of an intellectual story. The characters were okay but the focus was on situation versus the people. The only thing
Flohallo
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the German audiobook version of this book.
The story of the book was quite fascinating, although nothing really new for the sci-fi genre, still exciting. The conversations in the book were sometimes pretty cringy though in my opinion and many jokes weren't funny at all. However, still great book.
Plus I can now add super volcanoes as another irrational fear to my list of existential dreads.
Virginia Rand
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I got to chapter 30 of about 85 before I gave up. By that point I couldn't differentiate any of the characters (except by gender) and the author was seriously failing to build tension. I'm giving up on his books. ...more

• Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force, #1)
  • SpecOps (Expeditionary Force, #2)
  • Fallout (Expeditionary Force, #13)
  • Breakaway (Expeditionary Force, #12)
  • Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3)
  • The World Walker (The World Walker, #1)
  • Black Ops (Expeditionary Force, #4)
  • 14 (Threshold, #1)
  • Terminus (Threshold, #4)
  • Dead Moon (Threshold, #3)
  • The Unnamed Way (The World Walker #4)
  • Brushfire (Expeditionary Force #11)
  • A Gift of Time
  • Infinite (Infinite, #1)
  • Match Game (Expeditionary Force, #14)
  • Halfheroes
  • Infinite2 (Infinite #7)
  • Critical Mass (Expeditionary Force, #10)
I am a retired computer programmer, an enthusiastic snowboarder, and an inveterate science fiction reader.

And, apparently, an author now. Did not see that coming.