Start by marking “Warship (Black Fleet Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Warship (Black Fleet Trilogy, #1)

Warship

(Black Fleet Trilogy #1)

In the 25th century humans have conquered space. The advent of faster-than-light travel has opened up hundreds of habitable planets for colonization, and humans have exploited the virtually limitless space and resources for hundreds of years with impunity.

So complacent have they become with the overabundance that armed conflict is a thing of the past, and their machines
Published January 3rd 2015

To ask other readers questions about Warship, please sign up.
Jessica Draper If you have VERY low expectations, you might like it. It is indeed very flat, and continues that way; the characters are all 2-dimensional, the captai…moreIf you have VERY low expectations, you might like it. It is indeed very flat, and continues that way; the characters are all 2-dimensional, the captain single-handedly saves the day (plus a kiss from the "shapely" Ensign Davis), and the alien never gets more interesting than "probably a bio-tech weapon-creature." (less)
Robbin Barberan Book 2 "Call to Arms" is on Amazon right now.

Start your review of Warship (Black Fleet Trilogy, #1)
Mr. Matt
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Faster than Light travel has been a Godsend to humanity. With unlimited resources and unlimited planets to colonize, the wars of the twenty-first and twenty-second centuries are a distant, uncomfortable memory of a darker, more savage past. With no shooting war in over a hundred years, the interstellar navies of the loosely aligned human states, atrophy. The new, sleek, ultra-modern ships = while powerful - are built more for shuttling civilians about space than for honest-to-goodness in your fa ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay...weirdness. The plot in this series and the plot in another series I picked up about the same time is/are so close that it's...well the books should be pictured in the dictionary next to the word, "uncanny".

Civilization spreading in an explosive way after FTL travel is developed... No war for so long humans have become complacent... One ship placed in a situation where it has to stand against incredible odds.

Still it's not really a been there done that. It's handled well and I can also rec
D.harrow
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Murkypoke
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Michael Pang
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice start, can't wait for the next book. This read started off a little slow and ended with a bang; literally, mag-cannons, laser batteries, missiles and nukes.

The first thing I ask when I start a military sci-fi novel is what type of combat: here it is ship-ship (versus space marines, ground combat).

The book is a light and quick read. Not hard scifi, but enough of a nod to science-physics to keep things honest. When the fighting starts (about midway through the book) it is non-stop straight th
Guillermo
May 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series
First and foremost, I have to say the book is not bad. Or maybe just not terrible. I mean, I am giving it two stars. Two stars is not terrible... right?

Be that as it may, it does have a lot of flaws: I could not help but feel the writing had a definite sloppiness about it, for example. Like the penchant for repeating words over and over, terms, whole phrases or ideas. A lot of things also felt like padding, in both first and second half of the books, though in the second half stuff was at least
stormin
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is some classic military sci-fi action right here, and if that's your thing then this is your book. It's a simple but satisfying scenario: humans are unprepared when an alien menace attacks, and one down on his luck captain with an aging ship and a ragtag crew are all that stand between the planet-destroying incursion and the soft inner systems.

I think by now you know perfectly well if you're going to like this book or not.

This has all been pretty generic, of course, because I don't want t
Lee
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great military scifi story. Review to follow.
MadProfessah
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
VERY Military SF with Alien Space Battles

This book is perfect for everyone who yearns for more science fiction in the mode of the original Star Trek.
Brett
I have been reading science fiction for over 40 years and 'Warship' by Joshua Dalzelle has to rank among some of the best in space warfare.
The characters are very well developed and you truly care what happens to them.
Granted this is science fiction, but the author has obviously spent a great amount of time working out the science for his universe. Much is based on current theories and it is written and explained very well. As a science geek, I look for that in the stories I read. Yes, there ca
Diane
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reading-again
I liked the story line, but I didn't connect or care about the characters and didn't really get excited about anything going on. it was solid, jut not for me. I think it needed more "flesh". I may check out book 2.
Enzo
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
You can guess what it is about just by looking at its cover and you might have read another book that has a similar plot. But the character buildup done by Joshua Dalzelle and the descriptions of the space engagements are top notch.
So first the plot - Humans have finally conquered space and believe it or not they have explored and found just vacuum. Its dark out there and they are the only ones with a candle. So they have left earth for greener pastures. Having found nothing they have grown com
Per Gunnar
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good piece of military science fiction that should please most people that are into these kind of books. It is perhaps somewhat light reading but it is a good adventure story with plenty of likable characters, a good somewhat mysterious enemy and quite good ship versus ship action.

This is the, not too original, story about a hero that is not exactly in favour by the upper brass of the navy he is on. Partly because of his origin (Earth) but also because a lot of the upper brass i
Kathy
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
An old warship, on its last legs with a reject crew and captain with an unfortunate ancestry - not exactly the ideal combination to be sending into war. I enjoyed this book, though it does invite comparison to the Dauntless Lost Feet series by Jack Campbell. I liked the characters and universe enough to return for book 2 in the series. Its a reasonably short novel. It doesn't have a great deal of depth but its a decent start. ...more
Todd Gutschow
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty Good Star Trek Style Book

This book has a very "Star Trek" feel to it. This is a military sci-fi novel and it follows a rather predictable path. If you enjoy the feel of being "on the bridge" of a starship then you'll enjoy this book. I found it a bit slow at times but the battle scenes were exciting. While there's not much in the way of creating new ideas or a unique universe it's still a good start to a trilogy for this genre.
Vincent Stoessel
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Definitely a page turner with a satisfying ending. There are a lot of reused tropes that you likely pick up if you are a any kind of "star fleet" fan. The captain with the tarnished record, the insubordinate crew and dumb bureaucrats but crafted in a way that makes it a pleasure to read. It's really about the action and the characters. I pretty much binge read this book and will probably read the rest of the Trilogy.
Fred Hughes
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Military science fiction tale about a future humanity that has been at war for 200 years and what happens when an alien ship is encountered that is destroying worlds and everything and everyone on them. The odds are against them but they've never met Jackson Wolfe before.

Part of a trilogy, I've already ordered the next two books

Recommended
Michael Glavanis
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
A fun quick read. The story line is better than the narrative and the long gaps in battle make a space battle seem rather boring. Throwing in a mutiny, that is easily defeated, shows how little actually happens.
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Okay, I’m going to finally admit it...I enjoy a good sci-fi, military saga. The survival of the human race, add some Aliens and I’m all on board. I’m not looking for perfection. I need logic, characters I can root for and some action.
That being said, Warship was fun and I had to stop myself from reading the entire trilogy instead of spreading it out over a month.
It was fun.
I liked the cast of characters.
This is my first Joshua Dazell and I will read more.
I’m excited to learn about these invade
Tony Hisgett
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The beginning of the book was a bit overloaded with technical detail and the prospect of yet another story with an irrational bigoted Admiral didn’t seem that inviting. However it turned out to be quite a good space opera with a decent set of characters.
Anthony
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent piece of military Science Fiction. It is easily comparable to works by John Ringo and David Weber. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
Gridcube
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
it's ok
Matthew Daniels
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Zach Sheffler
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There's a natural tension in science fiction. Good fiction tends to make for bad science. And, at least at our current understanding, good science tends to make bad fiction. Dalzelle admirably splits the difference between the two, but it's worth noting that there are definite narrative sacrifices that need to be made in order to comply with the limitations of physics as we understand it. Warfare in space takes place across massive distances, communication is slow, and battles between two ships ...more
F.
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was hesitant with this one but caved and had to read it because of the reviews and the rating on Goodreads. I'm honestly surprised I have not heard of and seen more about this writer or this series before. Maybe the next two books aren't as good?

This is about a distant future in which humanity has been spreading out among the stars for centuries and has stopped fighting each other simply because there is so much space that none of it is worth fighting over. After a few hundred years of no war
Conal
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This one is another in the entertaining military sci-fi novels that have come out over the past several years. This one is entirely a space based novel that any warfare is between ships. Humans have expanded into space over a 300 year period that has seen the Earth relegated to a backwater that is looked down upon by most other human planets. No warfare during this entire time has left the human military with discipline and morale problems and weapons that are antiquated and might not work. When ...more
John
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a typical space sci/fi story. It is the 25th century, and no wars have been fought for two or three hundred years. Untold number of habitable planets have been colonized. Each group, however, maintains their "battle fleet" in the event something does happen. The intrepid young captain of an old starship, Blue Jacket, is given a set of mysterious orders to ferry a senator's aide to a remote point in space. His return trip is fraught with danger as he finds several worlds that have been ob ...more
Chip
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy space opera, this should satisfy most. Personally I would have liked to see more detail on subplot(s) - and not just in the epilog. The book also relied too much on hidden Captain functions. The final battle was a bit unsatisfying. The book had plenty of battle action with the alien and other interaction with some of the crew and fleet hierarchy, plus some nice spook thread. I look forward to the second book when it comes out.
Aqiul Colombowala
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is what it claims to be; good military sci-fi. While the book takes a little time to change its pace, once it does it is action all the way through.

The book focuses on a single character (the captain) and most of the action is shown from a single place (the bridge). An easy way to describe this would be like an episode of Star Trek told through the the eyes of the captain while on the bridge.

The book is easy to read and I'm hoping book two has more of the same!
Philip Hollenback
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
This one was fairly light space opera / space war stuff. Sets up well for the next book in the series but I'm not sure if I'm going to read it. I don't have anything particularly bad to say about this, but nothing particularly good either. The character of the captain with a drinking problem is pretty enjoyable. The Frontline series by Marko Kloos is proving to be a much better example of the genre. ...more

• Contact Front (Drop Trooper #1)
  • Star Fire (Stars End, #1)
  • Kinetic Strike (Drop Trooper #2)
  • Earth Ascendant (The Forgotten Empire, #2)
  • Banishment (The Forgotten Empire, #1)
  • The Last Stand (Blood on the Stars #14)
  • The Battle For Earth (The Forgotten Empire, #3)
  • Danger Close (Drop Trooper #3)
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Exodus (Forgotten Starship, #1)
  • Empire's Ashes (Blood on the Stars #15)
  • The Lost Starship (Lost Starship, #1)
  • Rando Splicer (The Spiral Wars #6)
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
  • Relics of Eternity (Shadow of Terra, #1)
  • Renegade (The Spiral Wars, #1)
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
  • Fracture (First Colony #8)

Black Fleet Trilogy (3 books)
  • Call to Arms (Black Fleet Trilogy, #2)
  • Counterstrike (Black Fleet Trilogy, #3)

News & Interviews

“Jackson made a mental note to speak to her about her demeanor on the bridge later when they were alone.” 0 likes
“Eventually we'll have to release the information because otherwise there's sure to be a rumor started that's actually worse than the truth.” 0 likes