Start by marking “Scivias” as Want to Read:
Scivias

Scivias

This work contains the 26 visions of Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179), who was the first of the great German mystics, as well as a poet and a prophet, a physician and a political moralist.
Published March 1st 1990 by Paulist Press (first published August 1152)

To ask other readers questions about Scivias, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scivias

Start your review of Scivias
Andrew
Jun 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Hildegard caught my interest years ago when I realized how popular albums of her music were at the library I worked at compared to everything else in our religious section. Then came to learn that she was both a very early female Christian thinker and mind of her day, as well as being something of an icon to a quasi-mystical, New Age and heterodox niche of spirituality today.

I found Hildegard's visions to have rather imaginative, dream/nightmare-esque qualities to them. Sort of remin
Lauren
Mar 02, 2015 added it
Hildegard, you didn't see shit.
Joe Gibson
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book.

An inspiring classic.

If you enjoy Hildegard, please visit:

Thank you.

God bless,
Gregg Koskela
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
The more I read and learn, the more I realize what an incredible figure Hildegard of Bingen was. She founded two abbeys, went on two preaching tours, wrote Popes and Kings, composed music, wrote theology and medical and medicinal pieces...all in Medieval Germany as a woman.

This is her first work, which I tackled after reading an edited selection of her many works. On the positive side, this is biblical exegesis and theology couched in her explication of her mystic visions. She is a powerful Med
Tracey the Bookworm
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
An amazing visionary woman who wrote on so many subjects. This book is focussed on her spiritual visions. There is much truth in them and beauty showing that the Spirit has spoken to the children of God throughout all history. I didn't read the whole book but what I did read was very interesting and well written.
Taurus Londoño
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Worth mentioning at the outset: I have a hunch that many of the 4 or 5-star reviewers here haven't actually read this book (or at least not in its entirety).

Hildegard von Bingen's Scivias (short for "Scito vias Domini," or "Know the Ways of the Lord") is, as the title suggests, mostly comprised of various divinely-ordained rules for life. In a manner reminiscent of the Book of Revelation (or even the Quran), Hildegard describes a particular vision (remarkable for their unusually abst
Brian
Jul 30, 2008 rated it liked it
I was more interested in her life and history than her actual visions. I enjoyed this book though. It was still worth reading. I feel very connected to her experience in a way. She was an amazing woman, especially for her time (1200's).
Mejkressler
Oct 05, 2012 marked it as to-read
She is being proclaimed a doctor of the Church this weekend! I've sung her music and have read her visions. I am intrigued to read the reasons she is being named a DoC.
Andrew
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
A biography of this incredible woman's life would be much more interesting to most readers than this collection of her visions.
Alex Kartelias
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
The visions have the archetypal, Imaginal qualities which someone like Henry Corbin would point out. Though i feel Hildegard was being conservative with her interpretations. If she really interpreted these visions in there esoteric depths- and not just limit them to a theological, exoteric level- these writings would never have been published, quickly supressed by the catholic church. None the less, there is still Knowledge in these vast, subtle and intricately symbolic visions for those with He ...more
Heather Morgan
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found it difficult to reconcile how Hildegard would see the ecclesial hierarchy a mirror to heaven and think of Creator God as feminine while the ecclesial hierarchy is so patriarchal.
Cheryl
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-ages
Part of my Middle Ages program. A really interesting woman for her time. Definitely needed to be part of a class.
Donna
May 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don't get this mystical stuff, at least Hildegard's mystical writings. Didn't read all of the assignments and I don't think I'll go back and finish the book.
Patti Clement
I have not read the entire book but purchased when I was taking a course on historical foundations of spirituality to have because it is a spiritual classic. Incredible wisdom from this wonderful woman mystic!
Simon
Jun 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
deeply interesting
Carolyn
Aug 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Intriguing peek into the mind and spirit of Hildegard von Bingen. Some quite severe limitations and expectations of human conduct and behavior, indicative of the era.
Judith
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
time to re-read this one
Irene
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Powerful images
Drury
Oct 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: georgetown
I am not a big fan of Christian Mysticism in general and this work is no exception. I do like that she separates her commentary from the visions themselves so that they can be judged individually.
Trunks
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this book.

If you like hildegard, check out this awesome website:

Peace & love,
John Medendorp
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church-history
Awesome, awesome, awesome.
Great intros by Barbara Newman and Carolyn Walker Bynum. The best.
Marlin Harrison
Jun 04, 2011
Leonardo
Aug 25, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Catherine of Siena: The Dialogue (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Hadewijch: The Complete Works
  • Selected Works
  • Athanasius: The Life of Antony and the Letter to Marcellinus (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • The Love of Learning and the Desire for God: A Study of Monastic Culture
  • An Exhortation to Martyrdom, Prayer and Selected Works
  • The Complete Works
  • Meister Eckhart: Teacher and Preacher (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Francis and Clare: The Complete Works (Revised)
  • Spiritual Friendship
  • William Of Saint Thierry: On Contemplating God, Prayer, Meditations
  • How the Post Office Created America: A History
  • The Meditations Of Guigo I: Prior of the Charterhouse
  • The Spirit of Simplicity
Hildegard of Bingen (1098 - 1179), also known as Saint Hildegard and Sibyl of the Rhine, was a writer, composer, philosopher, Christian mystic, German Benedictine abbess, visionary, and polymath. Elected a magistra by her fellow nuns in 1136, she founded the monasteries of Rupertsberg in 1150 and Eibingen in 1165. One of her works as a composer, the Ordo Virtutum, is an early example of liturgical drama. ...more