Start by marking “Division of the Marked (The Marked #1)” as Want to Read:
Division of the Marked (The Marked #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Division of the Marked

(The Marked #1)

Alternate cover edition of ASIN B00E2QYVLM

For all of written history, on the day of Da Un Marcu, fifty boys and girls across the three kingdoms are marked. They become a class apart from society. Taken to join their brothers and sisters, the Chisanta, they enter a culture of knowledge-keepers, martial artists, and possessors of strange and wonderful abilities.

When Yarrow
Published December 7th 2013 (first published July 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Division of the Marked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Division of the Marked

Start your review of Division of the Marked (The Marked #1)
Norah Una Sumner
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers,young-adult readers
SWEET.BABY.JESUS.

Woah,woah,woah.This was a phenomenal experience.I'm not emotionally ready to review this book.Uh,March McCarron:

description
but also:

description

The characters are amazing,the story is soo interesting and that ending!Also,(view spoiler) broke my freaking heart.I really love how Bray develops as a character and how there are a lot of interesting twist.
Overall,fantastic book that I would recommend to Fantasy,Y
Erin
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-free
This was one of the best free Amazon downloads I've read in a while, and actually just one of the best books I've read in a while. It was enjoyable, the editing was excellent unlike many free downloads (no misspelled words, no strange spacing...), good pacing, decent world building and character development. The big mystery wasn't really too shocking, and somewhat predictable, but not in a bad way. So, the plot was good. I couldn't have asked for anything more. Can't wait to read the next book!

Coco.V
Oct 19, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (10/19/2017)!
Bev Stout
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Division of the Marked is one of the best books I have read this year. The world that March McCarron has created seems very real for a fantasy world. The characters are fully formed and are people you can really care about. The pacing is perfect and you want to just keep reading without stopping to eat or sleep. This series is wonderful and I can hardly wait for the sequel(s).
Valerie (Howler_Puff)
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-own, read-2015
I was so surprised by this book. When it starts the characters are 14 years old. You are on this journey with them. Then you jump 10 years later. It's nice to see how they turned out. I loved the story, the characters (even Bray grew on me). I loved the world that was created. It even made me tear up! I love a story that makes me feel! Ughh sooooo good! I will continue with the series! ...more
Patricia Eddy
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

Let me tell you why it took me nearly 3 weeks to finish this book. I savored it. Truly savored it. I saved the last 30% of the book because I DIDN'T WANT IT TO END! I dolled it out a few pages at a time, pausing, letting it sink in, even shedding a few tears. Now, a few hours later, I'm still thinking about the ending.

Oh the emotion!

Division of the Marked tells the tale of a group of very special children. Fifty children are marked each year to join two elite groups. The Chisanta do many
Inge Saunders
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven`t enjoyed a novel like this since my last brush with a Brent Weeks and William Nicholson novel. What I enjoyed the most was how effortless the story read. Each chapter flowed into the other creating that undeniable urge to turn the page to find out what was going to happen next to this group of friends, but most importantly Yarrow and Bray.
After I reached chapter five, I said to a friend of mine that there was nothing contrived about the story. Obviously the story was thought out quite
Chavon
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!! I purchased The Division of the Marked for $.99 or maybe it was free on BookBub. Either way I am SO glad I was able to read this book! Wonderful, relate-able characters. As someone who meditates and is looking to delve deeper, Marked touches on this. There's also a martial arts component I recognized as my father practices jiujitsu and shares some teachings with me. I can not wait to read the second book. I'm struggling between waiting for the paperback to be shipped or ordering the e ...more
Angela
Dec 24, 2014 marked it as tbr-later  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, free, fantasy, kindle
24 December 2014: $0.00 FREE on Kindle
Shannon Olson
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great start to a series, and I was surprised by how complex the plot was. I will admit I didn’t have high expectations before beginning, but I’m glad that my instincts were wrong. I found the characters to be realistic with strengths and weaknesses that are relatable. I also found the plot to be engaging and the fantastical elements to be well thought out and really thought provoking. I look forward to reading the next and will be walking into this next book with high expectations kno ...more
William Stuart
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have read many fantasy books, but Division of the Marked by March McCarron stands out. I found this one through Book Review Depot group on Facebook (like most of my recent reads) and couldn’t wait to read it. Read on to find out what I thought!
Synopsis (from the author): For all of written history, on the day of Da Un Marcu, fifty boys and girls across the three kingdoms are marked. They become a class apart from society. Taken to join their brothers and sisters, the Chisanta, they enter a cul
S.R. Howen
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Division of the Marked by March McCarron starts out with Yarrow, who has just been marked as one of the Chisanta, a special group in their society, who are privy to information and secrets and have special abilities. The children chosen are random and often have faults, often physical. Unlike many stories where magic is dependent on race, refreshingly, this story didn’t go that way. Once Yarrow become part of the Chisanta, he meets the copper haired Bray, who is also marked as one of the Chisant ...more
Michael Long
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantasy set in a world in which people are "marked" by spirits/Gods/some other power and set aside as protectors. They possess special abilities, martial arts skills, and power. We are introduced to these special people (called the Christana) through the eyes of several newly marked. We follow them through their lives until they must team together to find out why their numbers are slowly dwindling each year.

This book is a new favorite for me. It really had everything I like. It ha
T.
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
I downloaded Division of the Marked as a free book from Amazon. This book was an excellent example of character and story development. The plot is complex, the world-building is solid, and the flow is fast-paced. The storyline revolves around a handful of gifted friends/acquaintances -- from two opposing groups-- who come together to investigate a suspicious fire. The results lead them to the realization the fire is a cover-up for more heinous crimes, spanning a decade. The book has a cliffhange ...more
Carol Hassien
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal book! When I got to the end, it was a great disappointment that the book was over. I wanted to continue on with these characters. I cannot wait to read the next book In the series.
Retread a year later! I finally got around to starting the second book and was so lost I had to reread this book. A year is way too long between books!
Chrissy Stoll
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Update on June 19, 2015:
Still waiting for the release of the 3rd book in this series.
This first book blew me away. I honestly wasn't expecting much because I'd gotten it as a free download. They're hit or miss. But it is fantastic!
Charlotte Bennett
I read this book in just a couple of settings. The characters are likable and engaging. Love the tension between Yarrow and Bray! The story is so full of action, adventure, suspense and fantasy. I could not put it down! Definitely worth the read! Can’t wait for the fourth book!!
Alexandra
Free on Kindle 12/24/14
Patty R.
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the characters and the story line. I looked forward to reading the next book in the series.
Artrain
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Three things to mention first: 1. The rating is based on goodreads (3* = liked it), and the rating is for this book only. 2. The review is for the series. 3. Review might contain mild spoilers.

So I got the first ebook for free from Amazon, and to my surprise it turned out to be quite good. You could see it had heavily borrowed ideas out of famous fantasy works, but it was written and represented freshly enough that it seemed to have a charm of their own. Characters were showcased well with suffi
Vaughn Ohlman
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Yeah, about that ten years

Orson Scott Card once said that books, fiction books, were divided into four different groups: those that focused on character, those that focused on a new world, those that focused on an event, and those that focused on an idea. This was a character book.
Every good character book needs some kind of tension for their characters, and this book provides them. Indeed two main tensions. Well, no, three:
1) First of all there is the 'wow, I have suddenly become a whole differ
Matt
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 out of 5 stars

I nabbed this book for free during a limited time offer. I'm probably too skeptical about the quality of some of these free offers, but the summary was interesting enough that I gave it a shot.

I'm SO GLAD that I did! If I could've known how pleased I'd be with it ahead of time, I would've gladly paid full price.

Once I started, I pretty much couldn't put it down. The way the magic works, the characters, the building tension and mystery sucked me in - the mark of a great story. I
Harukahitoriki
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the characters - not necessarily as people but I found them well developed and easy to relate to. They had vivid, lifelike personalities. My only issue with the book is that it was like the plot was an excuse just to add tension to the character's relationship, if that makes any sense.

You have two main bits
-I'm suddenly magical = separation from family (and eventually friends as even these special magical individuals are divided into two groups, and never shall the two intertwine -of c
Barbara J Maich
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A compelling story A must read

This is my 1st book by this author and I found it hard to put down. The author Captivated my interest from start to finish. It will leave you wanting to finish the series so order both now! A band of two factions who are not likely to band together for the greater good. It is full of twists and turns that captures your attention from beginning to the end. It is a fight that have the characters going against everything they have been taught to believe in where good s
Irene Nagy
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Division of the Marked is a wonderful tale about how a group of children meet, how they are separated and grow whilst apart and how,even though they are pitted against each other for a decade,they still hang onto the memories of childhood and become even closer;some more than others. March McCarron wrote with such soul that I laughed,I cried,I rejoiced and I grieved alongside her characters.A wonderful book,just what the doctor prescribed.
Sean Helms
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a fantasy novel, which took a serious twist into crime mystery. I have to admit that I liked it more because it was so unexpected. Even the murder mystery took a twist and became something much more complex, and also added more to my enjoyment.
The characters grew along the way adding personality while learning to put away distrust and work together. The story and protagonists improved the further along I read, and although many books don't keep me along for sequels, this one did.
Bernadette Hutton
Interesting read

Liked that you could follow the main characters. The fact that there is a break within their relationships is easy to get past. A bit of a new take on powers or gifts that are usable rather than not. A book that could realistically take place anywhere however the author chose to make it up, secretly I am pleased about that.
Kavya G
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: academy
Seems like an ordinary magic system idea, children across the world are marked signifying their magic ability. Now add a mystery of missing children.
Very, very cool magic power - you get what you want the most, giving room for a variety of magic powers while simultaneously describing the characters and their motivations.
Brilliant wrapping up of the story and the threads, very satisfying read.
Lorraine
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping

A great storyline full of twists and turns. Friendships stretched to the limits by taught prejudices and the journey of trying to overcome those prejudices in order to survive.
Pinkpigg33
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YA fiction. I enjoyed this book!! It is similar to the TV show Heroes, with the abilities in that you can have just about any kind. There is friendship, factions, poor governing, greed, love. I feel like this is deeper than most fantasy YA fiction. It has lots going on that keeps the story moving without constant action. Characters develop, things change.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Modern Good Reads: Fantasy Novel - Division of the Marked 4 33 Aug 08, 2013 04:28AM

• Agents of the Crown - The Complete Series #1-5
  • Beyond the Ghetto Gates
  • Becoming Eve: My Journey from Ultra-Orthodox Rabbi to Transgender Woman
  • Marry in Haste
  • Shadowmagic (Shadowmagic, #1)
  • A Legacy Witch (Spellcasters Spy Academy #1)
  • Mystic Bonds (Paranormal World, #1)
  • The Auschwitz Detective (Adam Lapid Mysteries #6)
  • Murder with Lemon Tea Cakes (Daisy's Tea Garden Mystery #1)
  • Daughter of Kali: Awakening (Demon Slayer #1)
  • When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain (The Singing Hills Cycle, #2)
  • A Winter's Dream
  • Witch, Cat, and Cobb
  • A Christmas Waltz
  • Wintering: The Power of Rest and Retreat in Difficult Times
  • The Christmas Chevalier
  • The Fire Within (Elemental Academy #1)
  • Secrets of the Sword I (Death Before Dragons #7)
See top shelves…
March McCarron is the author of The Marked Series. She writes character driven fantasy and science fiction stories. She grew up outside of Philadelphia, but has relocated several times, including a three year stint as an English teacher in South Korea. In addition to writing, March is an avid traveler, a student of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and a sore loser at Scrabble. She believes strongly in the con ...more

The Marked (4 books)
  • Elevation of the Marked (The Marked #2)
  • Lamentation of the Marked (The Marked #3)
  • Resolution of the Marked (The Marked #4)