Start by marking “The Partition of Africa” as Want to Read:
The Partition of Africa

The Partition of Africa

(Bennett #1)

A good girl. A hunky professor. A jealous ex. What could possibly go wrong?

Hattie Greene was the typical quiet, nerdy good girl at HKCU...until she wasn't. After a lapse in judgment and one vulnerable night spent with Samson Campbell, Ph.D., she's gone from being teacher's pet to professor's mistress.

Caught between her feelings for Samson and the whispers of her consci
Published December 26th 2014 by Three Amigas Press

To ask other readers questions about The Partition of Africa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Partition of Africa

Start your review of The Partition of Africa
Carolyn
We know from the outset of The Partition of Africa that Hattie Greene has gotten herself in a mess of trouble. From there the reader travels back in time to witness Hattie’s descent into a moral quagmire of her own making.

Despite the fact there are no earth-shattering events in the book - no deaths, disasters or external upheavals, the author lays an intriguing trail of bread crumbs for the reader to follow in examining how Hattie hit rock bottom. Who is Cameron to her? What happened over Thanks
Debbi DuBose
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. The following is my honest review of the novel: The Partition of Africa by Olivia Folmar Ard. This is one fantastic debut novel. It really brought back a lot of memories to me, both good and bad! Hattie is an Honors Scholarship sophomore at the esteemed Howard Knox College & University. She's a goal oriented student who doesn't party with the college crowd. Hattie spends her time studying or working in the campus library. Her roommate, Claire, seems to be ...more
Traci Rider
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Partition of Africa warmed my heart with a moving tale of the mistakes and redemption of a young, driven college student. Hattie is a young woman on scholarship trying to make her way through her first years of college with difficult courses, a socialite roommate, and a boyfriend that seems to be her soul mate. Increasingly plagued by anxiety, Hattie struggles with the life balance. We all make bad choices and Hattie is no different. Despite having a boyfriend who loves her deeply, she becom ...more
Angel Leya
I read this book out of order - it's fine, because they're written as a series of stand-alone's, but I knew the outcome of the story, which may have influenced my perception. I gave the second book, [[ASIN:B015M82TEE The Marshall Plan (Bennett Book 2)]], 5 stars, and I don't regret it. The author is solid. I just had a hard time connecting with this particular story.

The Partition of Africa follows Hattie Greene, a young woman with severe panic attacks and a propensity for bad decisions. She's in
Lissa Johnston
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the author for recently offering this book for free. The synopsis is accurate, which is good because I didn't get the connection between the theme and the title until more than halfway through the book. So in other words if you are looking for something Afro-centric, this is not the book for you. However if you are looking for a late-bloomer coming of age tale, this might work better for you. The main character basically has a mid-life crisis at age 20 which I could easily relate to. I ...more
Becca MacLean Lyman
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A lovely new adult romance that was so much more than the blurb would lead you to believe. Ard has taken a familiar coming of age story and used her mastery of smooth prose to create a thoughtful vehicle for some much deeper themes. Her characters are well-rounded, flawed but likable. I had moments of saying, perhaps out loud, "Don't do it, Hattie!" But Hattie does it and has to deal with the consequences. Yet, consequences have a way of bringing out the best/worst in the people around her, and ...more
Jaclyn Roche
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Hattie Green is your typical college student who wants to succeed and get good grades. She is the one who studies instead of parties. She is not the type to get involved in an affair with a professor, but that is exactly what happens. I had my concerns thinking that this would be similar to other stories about affairs with the professor, but Ms. Ard expertly twists the story and nothing is as it seems.

Throughout the reader is guessing what happened to both Hattie and her roommate Claire. Why is
Nikki Lostinsweetwords blog
The partition of Africa is a really well written an emotional read full of highs and lows.
Hattie is completely committed to her studies and nothing can distracted her or so she thinks. Hattie’s well laid plans start to shift once she lays eyes on Dr Campbell, every part of her screams to stay clear of him but she’s drawn to him. She soon finds herself questioning everything she once believed in and she soon finds herself in a situation she isn’t ready to deal with.
I really liked the other charac
Cynthia Hilston
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olivia's book is an easy read because it's engaging and hard to put down. For someone who has limited time to read, I finished this in under a week, which is saying someone. She's clearly experienced at her craft as a writer. Some of her passages are especially beautiful. Her characters are all well-developed, interesting, and felt like real people. Dialogue is excellent.

SPOILERS!!!

I only give this story 4 out of 5 stars because as I read, the story felt predictable. I had a feeling that Hattie'
Stephanie
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was drawn in to this book immediately. It's a touching coming-of-age story. I cringed several times at Hattie's decisions, but they are decisions many of us have had to make, and live with the consequences. Hattie may not always handle every situation with grace, but Ard certainly handles her characters with it. They are well-rounded, relatable human beings.

What impressed me most about this book, however, is how well-written it is and how well it is presented for a self-published author. Ard's
Kirsty Turner
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
***Reviewed for Sarah & Kirsty's Book Reviews***

This is a wonderful debut novel from Olivia. I was hooked from the beginning. I was able to relate to the characters and found them to be extremely likable. This coming of age story draws you in and keeps you there until the end. The setting was described beautifully and made me want to jump into the book and experience it first-hand. A thoroughly enjoyable read and I can’t wait to see what Olivia writes next. This author is one to watch. 5 stars
Deborah Petipas
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent read

The story skips around, but it is necessary to get background information. The characters are well thought out and believable. The story moves along and I didn't want to put it down until I read every page. As with all books, I wonder what happened after the story ended. Only negatives were typographical errors or wrong words like now instead of not. editor's should have caught those.
Barb
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What happens when a perfectionist fails--big time? Hattie Greene is a college student determined not to make the same mistakes her mom made. She wants her relationships to be as perfect as her grades. Then she falls for one of her professors, and her tight control on life unravels.
This story is told in backwards-chronological order, which is an interesting technique--but it works!
Joan Mitchell
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have-won
A poignant coming of age story about a college girl. She is the typical nerd and much out of character she lets her heart make some calamitous decisions about her life and future. I enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone who likes books without fairy tale plots. I received this book from Goodreads for free.
Gareth Yarnell
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the saga of Hattie as she goes to school and faces the things we all encounter. This is the first book I've read from this author. I will certainly read more from her. It was well written and kept my attention.
K.M. Hodge
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. Ms. Ard writes crisp, realistic dialogue that makes you feel like you are right there with the characters. I can't wait to read the sequel.
M. Maria
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a wonderful book! A must read for the true romance lover. A proposal, a professor, and pink. I found this hard to put down. I recommend.
Kathy Heare Watts
I won a copy of this book during a Goodreads giveaway. I am under no obligation to leave a review or rating and do so voluntarily. So that others may also enjoy this book, I am paying it forward by donating it a local library.
Jen
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love when I stumble upon new authors and they wind up being a good find! While I have to admit that this book started out a little clunky for me, I really enjoyed the story in the end. The dialogue between the characters and the situations they found themselves in was very "real life" and made for a fun read. I'm looking forward to reading more of Ms. Ard's work in the future!
Chelsea DeVries
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Giveaway on thesmartcookiephiles.com Ends 2/14/20 US Only. Winner receives 1 signed paperback copy of Partition of Africa.

Have you ever felt like you made the wrong choice or felt as if everyone was against you?

Or

Struggled to understand why one of your parents chose not to know you?

Ard's characters walk right off the pages and keep you reading from start to finish.

Harriet Greene is a student at Howard Knox University but as any college campus goes, her life is full of scandal.

Harriet or Hattie
Michele
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I am legally blind, I used two different technologies to read this book. It's slow, it's frustrating and not easy for me.

This book was well written and had a charming quality about it. It kept my interest and I read it right to the end. A good book.
Debbi DuBose
Richard Damiano
Jun 15, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Please add new series 2 11 Aug 19, 2016 12:13AM

• Crossing Tinker's Knob
  • After the Fall: Jason's Tale (After the Fall, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • Emotions: Confront the Lies. Conquer with Truth.
  • The Writer's Digest Guide to Good Writing
  • The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember
  • The Lose Your Belly Diet
  • Living Lightly: Bring Happiness and Calm to Your Everyday
  • Revenants: The Odyssey Home
Olivia F. Ard is a writer, wife, and working mother of 2 living in Birmingham, Alabama. She is the author of The Bennett Series and Readers' Favorite 5-Star Seal Recipient, 'Tis the Season. Learn more by following her on social media or visiting her website!

www.oliviafolmarard.com

Facebook: @olivia.f.ard
Instagram: @oliviafard
Twitter: @oliviafard

Bennett (3 books)
  • The Marshall Plan (The Bennett Series #2)
  • This Dread Road (The Bennett Series #3)