Jump to ratings and reviews
A demon waiting to die...
An outcast reviled for his discolored skin and rumors of black magic, Keirlan de Corizi sees no hope for redemption. Imprisoned beneath the palace that was once his home, the legendary 'Blue Demon of Adalucien' waits for death to finally free him of his curse. But salvation comes in an unexpected guise.

A woman determined to save him.
Able to cross space and time with a wave of her hand, Tarquin Secker has spent eternity on a hopeless quest. Drawn by a compulsion she can't explain, she risks her apparent immortality to save Keir, and offers him sanctuary on her home-world, Lyagnius. But Quin has secrets of her own.

When Keir mistakenly unleashes the dormant alien powers within him and earns exile from Lyagnius, Quin chooses to stand by him. Can he master his newfound abilities in time to save Quin from the darkness that seeks to possess her?

Book One of the Redemption series and part of the Travellers Universe. Previously released by Lyrical Press Inc. 7th May 2012

279 pages, Kindle Edition

First published May 3, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Pippa Jay

22 books209 followers
Previously an Analytical Chemist & stay-at-home mum, Pippa Jay is now a Science Technician who writes scifi and supernatural stories to engage the emotions. Somewhere along the way a touch of romance crept into her work and refused to leave. In between torturing her plethora of characters, she spends the odd free moment looking after her chickens, creating cosplay for humans and dolls alike, and studying the Dark Side of the Force. Although happily settled in the historical town of Colchester in the UK with her husband of 25 years and three not-so-little monsters, she continues to roam the rest of the Universe in her head.

Pippa Jay is a dedicated member of the Science Fiction Romance Brigade, blogging at Spacefreighters Lounge, Adventures in Scifi, and Romancing the Genres. Her works include YA and adult stories crossing a multitude of subgenres from scifi to the paranormal, often with romance, and she’s one of eight authors included in a science fiction romance anthology—Tales from the SFR Brigade. She’s also a quadruple SFR Galaxy Award winner, been a finalist in the Heart of Denver RWA Aspen Gold Contest (3rd place), the 2015 EPIC eBook awards, the 2015 RWA LERA Rebecca (2nd place), and the GCC RWA Silken Sands Star Awards (2nd place).

You can stalk her at her website, or at her blog, but without doubt her favorite place to hang around and chat is on Twitter as @pippajaygreen.

****Please do not send me review requests, event invites or recommendations****

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
36 (14%)
1 star
15 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 75 reviews
Profile Image for Marta Cox.
2,530 reviews190 followers
February 6, 2016
This is a hard book to describe . It starts off almost fantasy like on a medieval type world without technology where the greatest fear is dark magic. Into this scenario is introduced a woman who clearly does not belong. Quin is a traveler from far away ( really far away!) searching for the fabled Blue Demon but what she discovers is a broken male who is anything but demonic. Keir is waiting to die but the red haired female just won't give up. Breaking him out of a cell is just the beginning as Keir is transported from all that he knows to a life that he could never contemplate but Quin saving Keir is quite literally just the beginning of this wildly twisting story.
Explanations and world building are clearly not part of the authors plan. There is no great information drop to ease the reader in and indeed we only seem to learn exactly what Keir does. I fear that might frustrate some readers initially but implore you to keep going as the pay off is so worth it. This is a complicated story that develops and it literally zips from place to place introducing characters and alien life forms that boggle the readers mind.
I started reading unsure really of just who and what Keir and Quin are and I'm still wading through those muddy waters. Yet when it became more of a sci fi adventure it really allowed the couple to grow. Romance? It would be easy to just say yes but more of a connection that felt soul deep. Keir's journey into the light is one that had this reader cheering him on. Also his personal growth to become a man ready to fight for the woman he loves takes some beating. I won't lie it is very complicated and not a story to dip into hoping to get saucy entertainment . However if you want sci fi that engages your emotions, unusual aliens and to finish a book smiling then I'd happily recommend this book. Just a quick word of caution though as the final few pages are hard to read and you might need tissues handy!
I was gifted a copy of this in exchange for an honest review
Four and a half from me
Profile Image for Lauri J Owen.
Author 2 books25 followers
March 8, 2012
It will leave you sighing.

I had the pleasure of reading this book before it released, and what a treat that was! It starts in the darkness, and moves from darkness to light, from air to water, from despair to hope to despair, but leaves you with a smile on your face and a light in your heart.

I love Quin, the protag. She's amazing. And Keir - well - as you can see, he is someone I wouldn't mind spending an hour or two perking up as well.

Buy it. You'll read it twice - I promise.
Profile Image for Catherine.
Author 13 books38 followers
July 18, 2012
I. Loved. This. Loved it. It's some of the best science fiction I've read in a while, with two incredibly different main characters who discover that they're not so different after all.

Yes, there are alien races, yes there are other planets, but deep down, what I love most about this book is that it's a book about people.

Keir has been ostracized his entire life because of his blue skin. Otherwise seemingly normal, Keir has been forced to hide in the shadows, scavenge for food, and fend off attackers since a young age. As a result, he's incredibly distrusting. When he first meets Quin, he's being held in a storage room, a beaten and battered prisoner. The pair manages to escape, leading them down a road where Keir finds not only acceptance, but a deep, abiding love.

Of course, that's not all, and you're gonna have to read the book to find out. The world(s) Pippa creates are wonderfully done, each having its own customs, lore, and geology. Nothing felt...contrived, or too difficult to understand, if that makes any sense. Each world the characters travel to feels like it could exist somewhere, and the different alien races are fleshed out with their own political issues, customs, etc.

At its heart, Keir is a story of love and redemption for both Keir and Quin, two incredibly broken people who find healing with one another. Though Keir has suffered the most physically and mentally, Quin has suffered emotionally. Immortal after the destruction of her world, Quin has traveled the stars searching for the being responsible for destroying everything and everyone she loved. She's loved and lost along the way, and each loss has left its scar. Once she starts falling for her Smurfin companion, she wonders if he could ever love her, but buries her feelings. The middle of the book is when their love story truly starts, and it's pretty amazing to read. I laughed and cried with both as they found their ways to each other.

And just FYI, the last 20 pages or so nearly scarred me. I was almost bawling.

Pippa Jay's Keir is most definitely a fantastic science fiction read (admittedly, I read it all in one day). It's also a fantastic read that happens to be science fiction. I would recommend this heavily.
Profile Image for J.C. Cassels.
Author 7 books54 followers
June 23, 2012
From the first scene I was hooked. I found myself rooting for Keir before I knew his story. The author weaves a sympathetic tale following tortured souls through a life-changing adventure. Her light touch keeps the characters easily relatable without ever dissolving into schmaltz.

Quin is an engaging heroine whose self-assurance, ingenuity and desire to help others immediately establishes her as a heroine of epic proportions. Keir is almost an anti-hero whose journey of self-discovery takes him to the darkest reaches of his own nature and eventually leads him to the hero within himself.

Together, they travel through time and space and save each other. This is a sweet love story woven through an epic adventure.

With shades of Doctor Who, Time Bandits, and LadyHawke, Keir is a different kind of SF romance that will leave you sighing long after you've closed the book.
Profile Image for Sophia.
Author 5 books325 followers
March 11, 2016
I read the original version of this story three years ago and loved it. Then I had the chance to read the sequel which captivated me as much as the first book. I had no idea there had been a revision, but was graciously offered an opportunity to read the newer version. Of course I snatched that up.

The story opens on a world where there is a human society that is still medieval in technology and in thinking. A world where a man who is different is thought to be demon spawn and treated as such. Keir has been abused his whole life simply for existing and he is tired and ready to die when a feisty and fiery woman accused of being a witch for the red color of her hair is dumped into his cell under the castle.

After Keir saves Quin's life and then their escape, Quin won't leave him to die and performs her own life-saving rescue. She is disappointed that the trail that led her to Keir's world and Keir might be wrong. Keir isn't the monster of legend that she was seeking. Or is he?

Quin's psy ability can open gateways to other places and times and she lives on a world where different is okay. Slowly Keir heals after Quin used her ability to bring him back from near death and created a permanent bond between them. The much abused Keir and the fragile, but tough galaxy drifter, Quin, slowly trust and open up to each other. Keir agrees to help Quin on her quest to find a long-lost friend. Quin's quest becomes personal when it involves Keir's past. And while the new pair are learning to work together and survive, a shadow from Quin's past is making plans of his own.

I thought it would be fun and interesting to see how things were changed while enjoying a re-read of a story I already loved. But, alas...my memory couldn't latch onto any certain differences. I only have the overall impression of tighter and smoother writing and maybe that things are described differently? Yeah, I'm no help for those who would be interested in a comparison.

But what I do know is that it was as engaging, original, complex, and emotional as the first time through. Keir is a hero that is worth rooting for. He grows and comes into his own while adventuring and finding the love of his life. And Quin discovers she has room left in her bruised and lonely heart for one more shot at love and a man who helps her put the past guilt and mistakes in perspective while standing by her and letting her be her.

I like that this involves several alien races and worlds that are truly alien and see things differently. Quin is a form of drifter. She is human, but because of what has happened to her she is far from her human roots as the blue-skinned Keir who is also human. As they work to stay alive and fulfill Quin's need to find her lost friend, they encounter different worlds and beings. It was fun for Keir to finally start to realize that he may be unique, but he isn't the only unique being and acceptance is finally available.

The plot had exciting moments as Keir and Quin are in deadly danger quite often. There is also mystery and intrigue going on. Keir's past is a mystery, but there is also brief glimpses of a shadowy figure from Quin's past working against her.
I might have noticed it the first time, but I definitely did this go around that there are a few minor details that don't quite get explained or are left open-ended. A couple of those can definitely figure into future segments of the story. Or, to be honest, they can be left dangling as they are more curiosity points than stuff that affects the main plot.

The romance is a friends to lovers and goes slow by necessity. Keir was so abused that he struggles with basic kindness, touch, and motives including his own. He doesn't realize he is attracted to Quin and mistakes it for gratitude for the longest time. When he does figure it out, he is ashamed because he believes that while Quin is his friend, she would never welcome anything more and would be disgusted by even his touch in that way. And Quin, she knows what it is to love and be loved, but she has lost her first and betrayed by her second so she shies away from trying again especially with one who is unstable in power and shaky in recovering from abuse as Keir. I liked that though Keir is in the process of coming into his own, Quin isn't perfect and made her own mistakes to balance them as a team and pair of lovers. It was a sweet romance that timed it well down to the intense, heartbreaking events of the end.

So, it happened to me again- fell deeply in love with Keir the Blue Demon and his Quin and wanted to keep adventuring with them indefinitely. Lovers of sweet and exciting sci-fi romance need to give this one a go.

I was gifted a copy of the book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Profile Image for Natalie Wright.
Author 9 books282 followers
July 5, 2012
If you like sci fi, read this.
If you like romance, read this.
If you like to read well-written books, read this.

Full review coming soon.
Profile Image for Marlene.
2,812 reviews192 followers
April 14, 2013
Originally published at Reading Reality

Keir is an absolutely stunning work of science fiction romance. when I say stunning I mean that in the best possible sense of the word. When I finished I just sat staring for several minutes, because I couldn't quite pull myself away from the story's spell.

Tarquin Secker comes to Adalucien pursuing the legend of the "Blue Demon". In the bowels of the royal prison, she finds an emaciated young man on the brink of death, with tattoos and rags covering his blue skin.

Keirlan de Corizi is not the demon she came for. But Quin wouldn't leave any sentient being in those inhumane conditions. So she blows up the prison just like she planned. Except it's not quite like she planned. The prison very nearly crushes her to death.

Instead of her rescuing Keir, he saves her life. Then she saves his. And then, of course, things get seriously messy.

Keir is not exactly the "Blue Demon" she was looking for. But he's not exactly not, either. Which isn't to say that his entire planet doesn't firmly believe that he IS the legendary Blue Demon. Who really did exist. Who has to have existed, because she's Keir's direct ancestor.

She was also the person who destroyed Quin's homeworld and Quin has been searching for her ever since. Because in the process, she accidentally gave Quin a whole lot of interesting and dangerous powers. And sent her best friend wandering among the many worlds.

Quin is on a quest to find the original Demon, the Sentiac. At first, she saves Keir because he needs saving. Because she feels a kinship. His ancestry gives him a touch of the same power that she has.

But as he heals from all the damage that has been done to him, she discovers that Keir may be what she has been waiting for all the long centuries that she has been on her search. He may be a companion for the long years she has ahead.

If he can heal from everything that has happened to him. If he can learn to control the power that he now knows he has. If, most important of all, they can learn to trust each other with their many (and in Quin's case, many times many) secrets.

Verdict: Keir was one of the winners of the SFR Galaxy Awards for 2012. (Full disclosure, I was one of the judges) The question among the other judges wasn't whether Keir was going to get an award, the question was who would get to give it one. This was a favorite, but I hadn't read it.

Now I know why everyone loved it so much.

The opening absolutely grabs the reader by the throat. Keir is in chains and you can feel the dungeon closing in around him. Quin sudden drop into his grey world is a jolt to him and the reader. Her disappointment that he isn't who she expected and her complete unwillingness to let him die pull you into her point of view.

Their relationship builds slowly and realistically. Keir has no idea what it's like to love and be loved. He is literally his world's pariah. He can't imagine that anyone could ever love him. Quin has loved and lost profondly in ways that are beyond Keir's experience. She is three centuries old, and he is barely twenty. Not just May and December, but April and Methuselah, no matter that Quin appears to be in her late twenties.

The book has an element of two stories combined into one. The first part is Keir's rescue and training, and the first mission to find the original "Blue Demon". It's Keir's discovery of who he really is and where and what he came from. His search for identity.

The second part is Quin's mission to train Keir to use his power, because he is a danger to everyone around him. This mission takes the form of exile from Quin's homebase. While visiting one of Quin's old friends, she runs headlong into one of her old enemies. And it's there that her relationship with Keir finally flowers.

Be prepared for the ending. It will absolutely blow you away!

I give Keir by Pippa Jay 5 glorious stars!
Profile Image for Karen Bynum.
Author 2 books142 followers
October 14, 2012
Loved this book! Keir was a fantastic read. The hero (Keir) and the heroine (Quin) had so much rich character development. Both of them were riddled with emotional--and physical--scarring; however, it was beautifully woven into the storyline to make them stronger people. Together they were able to overcome their insecurities.

Keir is packed with action, adventure, intrigue and spicy love scenes...but one of my favorite things was the role reversal. Keir was the inexperienced one, and I loved that Quin taught him--not just how to make love, because that was hot--but how to experience life and to open himself up to forgiveness. Keir suffered a great many things, but Quin was there to support, encourage and bring him back to life.

A few of my favorite lines from the book:

“I am not friendly. I am dangerous.”

He felt her presence in his mind still, like cool hands soothing his fevered thoughts. It both disturbed and comforted him. Was she an angel in human guise? Or some demon sent to torment him before delivering him to his final hell?

His words filled her with a sadness so sharp she had to fight down tears.

He screamed for help as they took him through shadowy streets to an unknown place, but no one came.

Why am I such a sucker for tortured souls?

“We weren’t meant to have these powers, Keir, but it’s how we use them that defines who and what we are.”

“Friends may easily become enemies. Prosperity attracts envy. We must always be wary of complacency and misplaced trust.”

Would learning the truth justify the risk?

For the first time in remembrance, he wanted to touch and be touched in return. To hold her and have her return his embrace freely, with more than a friend’s affection. To feel her white skin under his fingertips. To brush the hair from her face as the breeze did now, and run his fingers through it.

He leaned close to her, and the darkness of his eyes seemed to swallow her soul. “Your fears will come to pass.”

***
I have more, but pretty soon I'll be quoting the entire book! So go buy it! :) Keir is a must read!
Profile Image for Andra.
18 reviews2 followers
June 4, 2012
I've just finished reading this one. I have never read a lot of science Fiction. Honestly though I love watching Sci-Fi, I was never moved to pick up a book and read it.

This was an amazing book. Pippa has done an amazing job of developing characters and the worlds they travel to. I could see clearly the places and people she described. Rarely have I read a book that made, me laugh, cry, my heart race etc. This book was beautifully written and a wonderful story.

If this is where Pippa is starting out, clearly we can expect many more wonderful tales as she grows and develops as a writer. Personally I can't wait for the next tales of Keir and Quin. They both feel like dear friends to me now and I can't wait to experience their next adventures with them.

Well Done Pippa!
Profile Image for Chantal Halpin.
Author 2 books30 followers
May 9, 2012
I'm not usually a sci-fi fan, but Keir may have changed all that. Thankfully it's not too heavy on the techie side and there was chemistry from the off from the 'Blue Demon' and the 'Red Witch' lol! I loved Quinn - she was absolutely brilliant and is now one of my fave kick-a$$ heroines.

This is an epic adventure story with space travel and magic, heart break and pain. There is real character growth too. The writing is just beautiful and made everything very visual. It was a thoroughly entertaining read and I can't wait for the sequel!
May 18, 2012
A friend made me read this. It wasn't what I'd expected. It was so much better. It reminded me of a Doctor Who adventure, only there wasn't a TARDIS and the Doctor was a girl. It really moved. I'll look for more from this author.
Profile Image for Kerrianne Coombes.
Author 8 books46 followers
July 19, 2012
Totally loved this book. So wonderfully written I just love the pull of a tortured hero. BRAVO!
Cant wait for another Pippa Jay book!
Profile Image for Corinne.
219 reviews6 followers
July 29, 2015
I began reading Keir with no expectations, despite having read and loved a novella from the same author. I knew that Keir was Pippa's debut work, so I went into it with an less critical approach for that reason. What I got was a manuscript that read like it was written by a seasoned author. Pippa has a knack for painting scenes with descriptions that provide good details without floundering in it. Her characters, even the supportive cast, are strong, can stand on their own and are presented within a three-dimensional context. I think flat-characters would be eaten alive in the world that Pippa has created with Keir, which I have discovered while reading is part of the same universe for her upcoming YA sci-fi adventure release of Gethyon.

One further comment about the world building - Pippa uses a backwards or persistent world-building technique that may throw some readers off. This means that her characters think, react and converse in full knowledge of their own histories even if the reader has not yet been introduced or is aware of these histories. These histories are explained as the story develops that shed light on a conversation that you may have read a few chapters before. This is different from the progressive world-building technique that most authors use. There is nothing at all wrong with this approach, and it can add some nice plot-twist elements, you just need to trust that even if you don't fully understand the conversation two characters are having in one scene that it will be relevant and explained later on. Pippa does make all those scenes relevant and I didn't find any loose strings by the end of the story.

I will say that the beginning of this book had me scratching my head a little bit. The first couple of chapters read like a fantasy story more than a sci-fi book, but as the story develops you learn why. Pippa has created a book that mixes elements from fanatasy, science fiction and science fantasy. The fantasy elements come in to play because one of the planets in the book hasn't developed science yet, and so they treat science as witch-craft and even name the heroine, Quin, as the Red Witch, and Keir as The Blue Demon. The planet reminded me of earth during the Spanish Inquisition. Once I figured this out, the story came to life. I would almost recommend a prologue or a first chapter to set this up to avoid confusion or losing readers in the first couple chapters who are wondering if they did buy a Science Fiction book.

There are sci-fi fantasy elements with Time-Travel, Psi-powers, gateways and telepathy. Though this may turn off hard-core science fiction readers, I thought it was done very well and explained within a believable context.

Now, about the romance - It is a sweet, but tormented, romance. Both of the leads have some heavy baggage, each with a richly developed history that is explained throughout the book. Their is a strong connection between them to start, but neither of them throws themselves at the other (which is refreshing). Both have real reasons for proceeding cautiously or misinterpreting the actions or intentions of the other. The intimacy scenes, though not quite as hot as I like, were extremely well written and beautiful. I think it suited both characters.

And the ending. Oh the ending. OH THE ENDING... not going to say anything else except to encourage you to see this book to the very end. You will be glad you did.
Profile Image for Shaheen.
632 reviews71 followers
April 6, 2013
Keir is Pippa Jay's fist published novel, and I am hoping she's got more in store for us because I really liked it! Spunky and fun, the book follows Keir and Quin on an exciting planet-hopping adventure as they hunt down Quin's ancient enemies and investigate Keir's mysterious past.

Keir begins strongly, introducing readers to the medieval-esque society of Adalucien where Keir is imprisoned. Starved, weak and depressed, he is on the brink of death when he is joined in his prison by a strange woman - who promptly escapes. One hair-brained adventure follows another, with Keir being introduced to societies where his differences aren't so important, and sometimes mark him as special. He slowly begins to accept himself, feel comfortable in his own skin, and I really liked the character development he goes through. Quin, on the other hand, is already self-assured and confident, and although she's still easy to relate to and likeable, her growth as a character isn't as marked. She's always very much in charge, and always compassionate, wilful and loyal. But she has a lot of hurt inside her and basically wants to be accepted and loved just like Keir.

The world building is really cool in this book - Earth has been destroyed, but some humans live on in a genetically enhanced form that has given them powers - telekinesis, telepathy and the like. Quin, who became immortal and gained these powers after Earth was destroyed, has spent hundreds of years searching for the alien responsible on other inhabited planets through the use of "gateways" (wormholes) that allow her to cross into any time and space she wishes. We get to see a few awesome aliens in this book, and I have to say the ones that made the biggest impression on me are Surei and the Metraxian people. I love the idea of palaces made from coral! I think the book would have benefited from more clarification on the impacts of Quin's time travels - she never really hits any paradoxes or explains why she can't just go home and try again if something fails.

My complaints about the book are few and for the most part didn't worry me much. I feel the characters use too much slang native to our society - phrases common to our world but unlikely to develop naturally on another world. "Speak now, or forever hold your peace" is used in the context of a judicial proceeding, as is "The burden of proof lies with the prosecution", and Keir describes a large knife as "machette-like" despite the author having repeatedly given us evidence that Keir is unfamiliar with things from our world. While I think the plot is tight and well paced, it feels like there are three separate stories told in this book, haphazardly thrown together: Keir's rescue, the island interlude, and Quin's misadventure with the mysterious Emissary. Connections between them seem contrived, almost forced, and I felt that Quin jumps too easily from one adventure to the next.

Pippa Jay's debut is not one to miss - full of action and humour and two kick-butt protagonists, it's sure to entertain. I really enjoyed it, and will look forward to reading more.

A copy of this book was provided by the author for review.
You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic .
Profile Image for Sophia.
Author 5 books325 followers
August 29, 2013
Now this is what a Sci-Fi Romance should really be like. For 266 pps, I was immersed into a nearly unrecognizable world, races, societies, adventures, and in-depth characterizations, yet it felt familiar too.

Keir, known as the Blue Demon of Adalucien, has given up and just wants to die until a feisty red-headed female gets tossed into his cell with him announcing that she's going to break them out. And break them out she does, in a manner of speaking and a little help from him. Quin, the female accused of witch-craft for her unusual hair and abilities, refuses to let him die and drags him along in her escape. The escape not only takes them through a few harrowing adventures, but through an incredible gate to the stars.

Quin has dragged Keir's dying body through the gate and back to her planet and refuses the idea of him dying on her after all that. She sought the Blue Demon and she found him, but he is not what she expected at all. He is no powerful being who evilly manipulates all he can for more power. No, he is a gentle distrustful man who has been tortured and abused for his differences and has never been allowed a normal or happy life. Against all logic, Quin uses her gift to save Keir and in doing so binds them with ties that can never be undone.

Keir cannot believe his new turn of circumstances and struggles to adjust even as he secretly yearns for more from his new companion and telepathic partner, Quin. He learns of Quin's quest and determines to help her even while fearing that his dark heritage will cause harm. He wonders if Quin's light is strong enough to withstand his darkness.

The plot was one that had several change in locations in it that make the story seem more of a quest-style telling. The perspective changed frequently and had several narrators. Normally, I prefer only a couple narrators, but in this story it worked because it showed how all the divergent plot threads came together and also let dialogue explain the world-building instead of just paragraph after paragraph of description. The pacing changed up depending on the type of scene which kept things interesting. I liked how the story was adventure, character growth and romance. Quin is Keir's guide, but as the story progresses their roles change to that of companions and then lovers just as she is the stronger of the two in the beginning until his inner strength, confidence and abilities come. My emotions were really engaged from the beginning when Keir's plight and then Quin's past became known. I loved them separately and together. It was fun meeting the other races and worlds too. The dark mysteriousness of the Emissary was intriguing and I guessed who it was rather quickly. I felt such pity even though this personage was wrapped in evil. The romance in this one was sweet and was 'fade to black' when passion did flare up. I could have stayed along for Keir and Quin's travels and quests indefinitely.

All in all, it was a fabulous read that I can recommend to Sci-Fi lovers who enjoy stronger world-building and character development with their romance on the sweeter side.
Profile Image for Wendy.
Author 2 books66 followers
May 11, 2012
A broken, emaciated man lies in the shadows of a sewer, trapped behind iron gates. Persecuted every day of his life for the color of his skin, Keirlan de Corizi is taunted even in his last, lonely hours. He wishes for death to claim him. Death denied him. When an odd young woman named Quin is tossed into his cell, he is confounded by her light regard for her situation. She claims she can get out of anywhere and promises to take him with her. At the moment, he doesn’t have enough energy left in his body to hope that she can. There’s much he doesn’t understand in their first day together. Why does she drag him out of the sewer to freedom? Why does she care for him after their escape? Why does she refuse to leave him behind when his deteriorating condition guarantees she will be recaptured. But, she keeps her promise and takes him home with her. The man known as the ‘Blue Demon’ of Adalucien has one moment of peace and is grateful for it even as he fades away.

Keir wakes up in a strange room where he is treated gently by a woman with purple hair and fangs. She gives him clothes and introduces him to others in the compound. They are all very different…from him, the Andalucian, and each other. Strays, the kind woman calls them. He finds his savior, Tarquin Secker sitting alone in a garden. He wants to be near her. Having avoided other people all of his life, the desire terrifies him.

I seldom cast books as I read, but in this case, both leads quickly acquired living models. For me, Keir is Orlando Bloom in Nightcrawler (X-men) make-up, complete with symbols carved and inked in his skin. Quin is Bryce Dallas Howard channeling the 12th incarnation of Dr. Who. That’s more about me than Pippa Jay or her delightful novel, but I felt like sharing.

Keir is a clever amalgamation of science fiction plot devices, fantasy realms, and literary themes. It is built within a construct of futuristic devices, fantastic locations, and alien power sufficiently advanced to be considered magic. At it heart, though, it is a character driven story about embracing differences. Over the course of our lives, humans acquire memory, fears, and regrets. We either overcome our mistakes and our losses, or they overwhelm us. The one thing we cannot turn time back on them. We cannot abandon or undo them, as much as we’d like to. They become part of us, define who we are, and inform our relationships with other people. Keirlan de Corizi symbolizes a personal demon, and finding in Quin a kindred soul, he feels drawn to her and trusts her well before he learns the first details of her many secrets.

First, they must survive Keir’s home planet, a world contemporary with pre-Industrial Europe, where everyone is human, where the powerful rule the masses by force, superstition, and fear of things they don’t understand. In Pippa Jay’s universe, Andalucian is the exception, not the rule.

Keir reminded me of Dr. Who in many ways, Stargate SG-1 in others. I would sincerely recommend this book to fans of either series.
Profile Image for Marsha.
2,935 reviews52 followers
December 5, 2015
(3.5 Stars)
Is it just me or does the guy on the cover of this book look like the artist formerly known as Prince? Hmm, does it look like he's been soaked in purple rain? (Lol) First and foremost, I need to confess that while I am a huge fan of Sci Fi movies and and t.v. shows, for some reason I don't like to read it; yet, I will admit I was quite entertained with "Keir."

After being ostracized, abused and tattooed by the small minded people of his village and his very own father, Keir prays for the peace he believes he will find in death. However, that all changes when a beautiful and fiery red headed woman named Quinn is thrust into a dungeon cell with her. She designs a daring escape and insists that Keir come with her. This single action will not only change the course of his life but Quinn's life as well.

As Keir learns to adjust to his new found freedom new found abilities begin to emerge; yet, he continues to struggle with his distaste if being touched. Surely no one wants to spend time or touch a filthy demon such as himself. However, Quinn also has insecurities and issues of her own.

When an old enemy emerges from her past, Quinn will have to cleverly maneuver through shark infested waters if she and Keir are to survive. What is so interesting about this read is a total role reversal. It is almost unprecedented that the lead woman in a novel is the strongest character and the male us the weaker one or the submissive. Usually I don't like weak men but I actually liked Keir and that is largely due to the writing of the author. However, I did have a problem with some of the glaring editing issues in this book.

In all truthfulness, I doubt I'll go on with the series because this genre just isn't my cup of tea. However, I am interested in reading other reads by this author.
Profile Image for Rachel Smith.
Author 14 books64 followers
May 20, 2015
Full disclosure up front: I'm an SFR author and I was given an ARC for review, because I loved this book so much the first time I read it before I got to know Pippa as a fellow SFR author.

This is an expanded and revised edition of Keir, and WOW! Totally worth the wait! The book enchanted me the first time I read it. This time it wouldn't let me go. Every single issue I had with it the first time around--not quite long enough, the Metraxi connection not clear enough, not enough hints of what all was going on behind the scenes--is no longer an issue. The entire world has been fleshed out and expanded. More bad guy scenes! More Keir scenes! More T'Rill scenes!

For me, this novel is the quintessential science fiction romance. It combines just the right amount of tech, just the right amount of fantasy, and just the right amount of things science can't yet explain, with rich, complex characters and smooth, almost lyrical prose.

The world Pippa has created is one I want to spend more time in. There's so much to explore and learn about. And this time, I reached The End knowing the sequel is coming soon.

This is also a book skewed toward the hero, so of course that's another reason I adore it. Keir is a wonderful example of a tortured hero with a heart of gold. He hasn't lost his ability to be kind, and that's so important to me. His romance with Quin develops at a steady, believable pace, and it's so sweet to watch.
Profile Image for Jo  (Mixed Book Bag).
2,617 reviews48 followers
June 6, 2015

Keir is a fast paced tension filled book. It is Science Fiction Romance but the romance element is allowed to develop as the story progresses. The same is true for the character development. Both Keir and Quinn continue to develop as the story progresses. What both are like at the beginning of the book is very different from what they are like at the end.

Keir is set in a very complex world with a lot of back-story required for the story to work. The plot development allows each to come to light as needed. The plot itself is complicated. It feels like one thing (Saving Keir) at the beginning and becomes something else entirely half way through the book. That change intruded on the story at first. Several characters and a new world seemed to come out of nowhere without the lead up I would have liked. Once I got past that the story again progressed in a smooth and believable manner.

I had read parts of Keir before but not the entire book. I don’t know where or why but it may be because Keir is a re-release from 2012. I do know I had not read the entire book.

Keir is book one in the Redemption series and book 2 is due out shortly. That is probably the reason for doing a new release.
Profile Image for Candice Kamencik.
128 reviews19 followers
July 19, 2015
Let me start off by saying that I really enjoyed this book. It had a very nice "traditional" scifi feel right from the start, and was very engaging.

The major draw of this novel was the characters, hands down. It was clear from the beginning that the author had clear plans for the main pair, and took the time to develop them slowly. As such, both were multi-faceted, with clear individual personalities.

While there was romance involved in this book, it was secondary to the plot itself, which was nice. Additionally, it was allowed to develop on it's own and wasn't just pushed through.

The only reason this book received a 4 star rating from me and not a 5 was that the romance did have one downfall - during their interactions, the main pairing did fall into the trope of the "continuous misunderstanding." They both continuously assumed the reason for the other person's actions, then reacted, causing confusion for themselves. While this is a valid way to create tension between a pair, it was used far too much in my opinion, and became tiresome and repetitive, detracting from the story.

Besides that issue, this book was still a joy to read, and highly recommended.
Profile Image for Teresa.
320 reviews12 followers
September 11, 2015
Aliens, time travel, planet hopping, fear, growth, acceptance, redemption, romance.... This story has all that and more. Quin, searching for the one who destroyed her life finds Keir in a prison cell, beaten and wanting to die. Keir has been ostracized nearly his whole life due to the color of his skin(blue). Quin saves him, nearly costing her her own life. The story reads like real life. Things happen that seem to have no bearing on the storyline, but they do build the characters. While I would have liked more information on Quin's history we do get bits and pieces as the story progresses.. Keir grows as he comes to realize he has the opportunity and freedom to become who he wants to be.

Pippa Jay has an awesome imagination and puts words to paper with skill. I enjoyed reading Keir and cannot wait to read book 2.

“I received a copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review”.
Profile Image for Laurel.
Author 1 book31 followers
June 23, 2012
This is a story of tortured souls, love and redemption. On a strange world Quin, a human traveller who moves among the stars on a quest for a lost friend, discovers Keir, an outcast in his society. All Keir wants to do is die, believing himself condemned and cursed, while Quin soon wishes to save him, having seen a glimpse of who he really is.

From this starting point follows an adventure that will warm science fiction and romance readers alike. As one hops between planets with this delightful pair, Pippa Jay sketches the different worlds with her pen, bringing them vividly to life. She does no less with each character, drawing one into their minds with ease.

I really enjoyed this book, Pippa Jay's debut novel, and as there are several unanswered questions, I hope there will be more to come from this author.

Profile Image for The Bookend Family.
248 reviews2 followers
June 22, 2015
Originally when I started reading this book, it felt very much like the beginning of an epic fantasy until I got to the space and time travel and it switched gears to being more sci-fy. I think this may have been a bit of a let down for me as I was expecting one type of story and then realized it was something completely different. However, the narrative still very much had a feeling of fantasy which I thoroughly enjoyed. The characters were bright and fresh even with all their battle scars and unforgiving grief (the book after all is subtitled Redemption.) It hooked me in well during the first part of the book, and was quite thrilling. After the beginning it lost some of the pace for me and that is why I only gave it three stars (technically, if I had the option, I would give it 3 and a half stars.)

Review by: Stacy Palm
Full Reviews at: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.com
Profile Image for Melissa.
Author 91 books139 followers
November 27, 2015
I read this book in one sitting. The story was compelling and I couldn't wait to see what happened to Keir and Quin. Each were broken and unable to trust others, yet they found a way to connect and help each other. This story was almost two stories in one. In the first part Keir is saved and finds himself a new man, then they take a look into the past and it sends them off on another adventure.

Ms. Jay kept me interested with her exciting world and fascinating characters. I hope we see more of Keir's sister and find out about Ryan. I'm sure that the big bad of this book isn't done yet...He left too suddenly.

Fans of science fiction/fantasy romance will love this book.
Profile Image for Imogene Nix.
Author 76 books107 followers
September 4, 2012
I loved this book. From the first moment it hooked me with the tale of despair that was the life of Keirlan De Corizi. Then Tarquin Secker (Quin) came along. Recognising Keir as broken, sick and ready to give in, yet somehow he was prepared to save her.

For me there it was.

Both are broken characters in their own ways, but it is what pulls them together that makes this book stand out from the rest.

Buy this book. Read it. It is so fabulous that it has already made it's way to my keeper shelf.
Profile Image for Marlene.
31 reviews19 followers
March 1, 2013
I didn't expect to like this book because I am more of a sci-fi/paranormal romance (heavy on the romance) reader. But this story sucked me in from the beginning. The romance is slow to develop but once it's there it's there with a bang! And ohhh it's so sweet. It had me smiling the whole time. And the end... holy moley. I was completely shocked and then I cried!

Oh and the sci-fi part is fabulous. It has everything lovers of science fictions want: Interesting worlds and alien cultures, cool weapons/powers, time travel and wormhole type travel, and crazy technology.
Profile Image for Mei.
1,879 reviews403 followers
June 26, 2015
I'm really happy to having read this book!

I always enjoy a good and interesting fantasy/SF romance.
... even if tis didn't start as a romance! :)

I loved the heroine, Quin, even if I didn't understand why she has to keep so much secrets from Keir.

At the beginning I could understand, but after not so much!

Keir was also a good hero. He really has a very good reason to be suspicious and afraid. After everything that was done to him! And by his own father!!! OMG!!!

I'm looking forward to the second book, since this ended in a kind of cliffhanger!
Profile Image for Patrick.
Author 10 books28 followers
May 10, 2013
How can I describe the masterpiece that is Keir and do it justice? Honestly, I can't. You have to read it for yourself to witness the journey of discovery, liberation, and wonder on your own and see that love conquers all. Pippa crafted an amazing story, and you will be denying yourself the chance to read a truly great book if you don't.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 75 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.