Start by marking “The Wild Blue: The Novel of the U.S. Air Force” as Want to Read:
The Wild Blue: The Novel of the U.S. Air Force

The Wild Blue: The Novel of the U.S. Air Force

The novelized 'social history' of the U.S. Air Force. This book follows the fictitious careers and lives of members of the United States Air Force.
Hardcover, First Edition (U.S.), 626 pages
Published October 1st 1986 by Crown Publishers, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Blue

Friedrich Haas
I read some of the reviews, and glad that I continued with this book despite having read them. I think it is amazing. A lot of characters, yes, so? This story covers so many aspects of the Air Force that it takes many people to show it to you. You want to know about training, recruitment, missiles, testing, procurement, whorehouses, getting by on the pay, infidelity, climbing the ladder, the personalities of the various bases, the aircraft, race relations, or any aspect you can imagine, and it i ...more
Janet
Mar 21, 2008 rated it liked it
From the Air Force side of aviation, The Wild Blue is a tale of high libido, high flying, and racy living. Traversing WW2, the Korean War and the Vietnam War, the story line follows the lives of several servicemen and their wives. It’s really a man’s book, filled with military and worldly ideas, where even the pregnant women are looking for sex, and the cocktail culture is shaken not stirred. I admit, I faced challenges in finishing this book wherein the aircraft diagrams on the covers are the v ...more
Walt
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
A unique take on the history of the US Air Force in the Mid-20th Century. Rather than offer a dry historical narrative, Boyne interweaves the disparate stories of 5-8 people from their enlistment through their end of service. The approach allows him to add color to the history and show how grunts, officers, and bureaucrats viewed the changes.

I really picked up the book because the author is from East St. Louis, and I was expecting more on that city's wicked underbelly. But I was disappointed on
Chris Tschirhart
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book 3 times and it is an excellent look into the USAF from just after WWII till the middle 1980's. Although fiction it gives an accurate picture of what the Air-force must have been like to be in and the development of planes in that era plus the tugs and pulls of changes in society during those times.
Taylor
Feb 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book. It's historical fiction. Made up characters, but based on the reality of the Air Force. It's a great way to read and learn about AF history. It starts just after WWII when the Air Force was first becoming its own branch and follows the careers and family lives of several different people from their entry in the AF through their careers in Vietnam, Korea, and after.

The beginning of the book is fairly awkward. It starts out in present day at the funeral of one of the characters and the
Keith
Sep 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I really wanted to like this book, but after 120 pages, I just couldn't get into it. Too many characters to keep track off, too much bouncing around between them. Dates fluctuated greatly, which was distracting. Like W.E.B. Griffin's The Corps series, it concentrated more on the personalities than battles and time in the cockpit, but wasn't nearly as well done. When I got to the point where I dreaded opening the book, I knew I was done.
Michael
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting account of the first 30 years of the US Air Force, focusing on the careers of several very different airmen, and encompassing the Korean and Vietnam wars and everything in between.

It's clear that the authors have tried to follow the model of story telling used in James Michener's 'Space', but they've done a great job of it. Would recommend this book highly to flying and history buffs.
Kryssi Paulo
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Couldn't finish the book. It was so boring that I lost interest. I struggled to finish it but couldn't get past pg 100. There were too many characters to keep track of and the author assumed that u knew a lot about the Air Force already.
Skyring
Jun 27, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Joanne
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
very good story despite all the major players and keeping them straight, great how blacks and women came to be in the history of flying !!!
Andrew
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Even if this is a really long book, it is still a good book. I like the detail that the book goes into.
Cws
Apr 01, 2013
José Gonzales
Feb 19, 2014
Rishabh Ssaxena
rated it did not like it
Mar 09, 2014