Start by marking “The Two Mrs. Abbotts (Miss Buncle, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Two Mrs. Abbotts (Miss Buncle, #3)

The Two Mrs. Abbotts

(Miss Buncle #3)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,229 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
Mrs Abbott is flustered at the thought of putting up a lady from the Red Cross, but is happily surprised when she turns out to be an old friend from her previous life as Miss Buncle, infamous writer.

Of course, she's now far too busy with her children to write, not to mention helping out in the lives of the villagers. And with a possible spy in their midst, evacuated famili
Hardcover, Large Print, 416 pages
Published January 1st 1983 by Ulverscroft (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about The Two Mrs. Abbotts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Two Mrs. Abbotts

Veronique
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once more, I’ve been charmed by D.E. Stevenson’s easy style. I don’t know why I waited so long to read this third instalment, especially since from the first page, I was transported to this fabulous little village peopled by such a colourful cast.

It is quite difficult to quantify what the author does. Nothing much actually Happens, and yet, I was more than happy to keep turning the pages. The first Mrs Abbott of the title is Barbara, née Buncle, main character of the previous two books, always
Melindam
Still not as perfect as Miss Buncle's Book, but delightful, heart-warming, cosy and funny.

I am so glad I discovered D.E. Stevenson. I will definitely go on reading her other books.
Ali
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I finished reading Miss Buncle Married – I felt I wanted to read the next book – The Two Mrs Abbotts right away. I found out that Persephone are probably publishing it at some point but I wasn’t sure I could wait. A quick look online revealed old copies fetching rather high prices – I know D E Stevenson books can be quite sort after these days. So I did a quick search on the Birmingham Library Catalogue – there was one book – I requested it. That was back in February – and I had almost forg ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I had hoped this would have the charm and delight I found in the first two of the series. Sadly, set in (and published during) WWII, there's a kind of pall cast over the whole that dragged it down horribly. It doesn't help that Stevenson threw in some really dreary people, even as she removed some of my favorites (who were off to war). I particularly hated the separation of Sam and Jerry. Yeah, we hear good things about him and are lead to expect he is thriving in his own way, but Stevenson is a ...more
Carolyn
This is the third book about Barbara Buncle. I love this series and reread it every year. Unfortunately D.E. Stevenson is disappearing from library shelves. Her writing is wonderful with humor and real understanding of human nature when influenced by a society of morality and ethics. I miss this foundation in current literature.

Barbara is a woman with many self-doubts who has learned how to put on a competent social facade. She tries to influence her family and friends, with humorous results.
kris
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Barbara Abbott and Mrs. Jerry Abbott are always surrounded by adventures, including but not limited to: the welcoming of an old friend from Silverstream to Wandlebury; a soldier's calf-love for Jerry; the emo-warblings of Lancreste Marvell (talk about a supervillain name); the comings and goings (and comings) of the ill-fortuned Boles family; and LOVE.

1. This really wasn't as charming and fun as its predecessors, unfortunately. It suffers somewhat from the looming specter of the War, and s
Anna
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: series, npl
Stevenson's books are like a cleansing breath in the midst of a chaotic world. They are charming and poignant yet full of humor and wise observations of human nature. And throughout there is a sense of calm and quiet.

This story is set during WWII. Life in the country goes on with some adjustments to the war effort. The focus shifts between Barbara Buncle's (now firmly Mrs. Abbott) home and her niece-by-marriage Jerry Abbot. Jerry's husband is serving in Egypt and her household has been opened to
Kirsty
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
D.E. Stevenson’s The Two Mrs Abbotts was first published in 1943, and has been reissued by Persephone Books. Stevenson was an incredibly prolific author, and had over forty novels published during her writing career. The Two Mrs Abbotts is the third instalment in the books which feature Miss Buncle, both of which have also been published by Persephone. There has been no introduction included here; instead, readers are ‘referred’ to the first two volumes.

The Two Mrs Abbotts opens in Archway House
Jeanette
What can I say? I simply adore Barbara Buncle/Abbott. My only complaint about this book would be that there was not enough of Barbara featured in the novel. Thankfully the other characters were just as fun and charming to read about as Barbara herself.
From the opening page I found myself smiling and laughing and enjoying this book as much as I did the first Miss Buncle book. The lighthearted tone, charm and humor were all present and accounted for.
This 3rd and final book in the Miss Buncle serie
Mo
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars

Long on charm, short on plot.
Damaskcat
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Buncle – the main character in ‘Miss Buncle’s Book’ and ‘Miss Buncle Married’ – now has two children. It is World War II and everyone is struggling with rationing and trying to make ends meet. Barbara’s old friend from Silverstream days – Sarah Walker, the doctor’s wife – is visiting to give a talk on behalf of the Red Cross. The two friends take up their friendship where they left off and Sarah rapidly becomes part of the local community for the length of her visit.

Barbara is now Barbar
QNPoohBear

Barbara Abbott nee Buncle is back in this third volume. World War II is raging but Wandlebury hasn't changed much. The young men are off to war, except for Archie Chevis-Cobbe who is running a farm single-handedly. Barbara has settled into domestic life with Arthur, their two young children and of course, Dorcas. Barbara is still as honest and trusting as ever, making everyone want to confide in her. Her latest, and most unwanted, confidant is Lancreste Marvell. Barbara dislikes the Marvells and
Melissa McShane
This wasn't as fun as the first two in the series, and now I've left it long enough that I can't remember the details to say why. Some of it is likely that the secondary characters take over the story, and I don't love them as much as I do Barbara and Jerry. But the romance is satisfying, and I wasn't sorry to have read the book. (That's a very lackluster review, and I think the book is better than I made it sound. Just not by much.)
Thomas
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all DE Stevenson and this is one of the better ones. Not as delightful as Miss Buncle's Book but better than Miss Buncle Married.
Terry
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’ve read the Miss Buncle series (“Miss Buncle’s Book,” “Miss Buncle Married”) then read “The Two Mrs. Abbotts.” If you haven’t read any of the series, then I don’t know what you’d think of this one. As far as the end of a trilogy goes, this is disappointing as it really doesn’t have much to do with our original Miss Buncle. The first of the series is a hoot, pertaining to the mishaps of our heroine as she anonymously publishes a book about her neighbors in a small English village. She even ...more
Elisabeth
I had to chuckle at this book—I didn't know quite what to make of it. It's written in the same pleasant, breezy style as the other Stevenson books I've enjoyed, and it was fun seeing a lot of characters from the first two Miss Buncle books again; but that's just it: there were almost too many of them. Barbara and Jerry don't really play key roles in the story; they're just a sort of center the other characters revolve around. Both Jane's and Markie's stories seemed like they could have been the ...more
K.
Really disjointed, especially at the beginning when it jumped from character to character without much tie-in. It was fun to be reunited with Sarah Walker, it was too bad she left quite early on. Didn't get nearly enough of Barbara this time and she was lame when she was around. What on earth did she have to be so tired about with servants and a nurse for the children? Having charge of her own two children for an afternoon did her in?

So, enough criticism. All in all harmless and successfully ent
Garnette
Now comes D.E. Stevenson continuing Miss Buncle, married, two children, not writing, not missing it. SIGH. The first book was fabulous and so funny. The second, nice to be with old friends. The third, while a funny twist on writers in the plot, somehow just not satisfying. No question though that Stevenson has the genre down perfectly, light as a nightingale's song but not funny. Glad to hear Miss Buncle book reissued by Persephone Press was on NPR. And author still aluding to Jane Austen.
Claude
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy, e
It was good to learn about what had happened to the two Mrs Abbotts. I wish more of D.E. Stevenson's novels were available. I only gave it 4 stars maybe because I felt that the characters spent their time having tea and lunch, which was weird since the novel takes place during WWII.
Still, it was a very pleasant read. I saw somewhere that D. E. Stevensons novels were in the categorized as "light romance", but they seem to me to belong to the "cozy" category, sans mystery of course
Valerie Kyriosity
This wasn't as good as the first two, but it was still a fun read. Just a bit scattered. Should have been called something like The Two Mrs. Abbotts Make Respectable Appearances amidst a Cast of Thousands. Well, Dozens, maybe.
Wendy
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a find this author has been! This is the third book in the Miss Buncle series. Time has passed and WW II is upon England. As usual, D E Stevenson gives us gentle glimpses of small village life with a keen eye for human nature and a sly sense of humor.

Gabi Coatsworth
Not as good as the first two books in the series, but this one is iteresting because it's set during World War 2 and gives a portrait of life on the home front, without making it all about the war. A good book for passing the time, but not an essential read.
Jacqueline C. Sands
Barbara Buncle is a delightful character and the 3rd book in the series, "The Two Mrs. Abbots" does not disappoint. As we follow Barbara Buncle through her life she only grows more dear.
Margaret Sullivan
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I love this series and really enjoyed this book as well, but I'm marking it down to four stars as the ending was abrupt and unsatisfying, with several plotlines not resolved. But it's well worth reading, as are all the books in this series.

We've moved on a few years from Miss Buncle Married. Barbara is the mother of two scamps, and Jerry is pining after her Sam, who is off commanding tanks in the war, and using her house as quarters for soldiers, introducing several new characters and taking the
Mandy
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Enough with Miss Buncle. Sometimes a trilogy is just a book too far. I enjoyed Miss Buncle’s Book and Miss Buncle Married, but this one lacks the charm and spontaneity of those two, doesn't seem to have any sort of narrative arc, and the characters and dialogue are unconvincing. It feels rushed – perhaps her publisher pressurised her into writing yet another chronicle of Miss B to cash in on the success of the previous books. It’s not bad – just not good. Disappointing.
Michelle Hofacker
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great story!!! Wartime settings are not my favorite, but it wasn't overwhelming. There were some loose ends that I would've liked to have gotten answers about, but I still completely enjoyed the book and getting to know the characters from the first two books even more.
Katrina
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A WW2 Barbara Buncle Abbott book - comfort read.
Melinda
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, arc
D.E. Stevenson brings us the conclusion to the Barbara Buncle series, honestly I feel as if I am losing a dear friend. Barbara of course always completely charming and the colorful secondary players were equally appreciated, the entire series was absolutely delightful and amusing.

In The Two Mrs Abbott's Barbara's presence is shadowed by new and returning characters. In the midst of WWII Barbara and her husband now have two children but yet she still finds time to matchmake in her own Barbara
Roberta
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meraviglioso terzo capitolo dedicato a Barbara Buncle, ora Barbara Abbott. La seconda signora Abbott è la nipote del marito, ora sposata anche se il marito è al fronte (il libro è infatti ambientato durante la seconda guerra mondiale) e con la casa invasa da un battaglione dell'esercito.

Nonostante la guerra sullo sfondo (e tutta una serie di episodi legati ad essa) il romanzo riesce ad essere sempre leggero e piacevole. All'inizio del romanzo Barbara scopre che la donna che deve ospitare (una pe
Carol Bakker
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, cozy, england, stevenson
I've been reading a lot of "cozy" books lately: they are the literary equivalent to comfort food when one has a head cold. I've been alternating between D.E. Stevenson and Elizabeth Goudge. Both depict children well: funny, charming, imaginative, ornery.

I collect (in my head) favorite proposal scenes. Barbara Pym has a rich one. After reading this book I have one to add to my collection: "He read it [a newspaper article—too complicated to say why] carefully—and then he looked at Jane. There was
Goodreads Librari...: separate listings 2 14 Aug 23, 2016 10:47PM
  • Greenery Street
  • Manja
  • William - An Englishman
  • Patience
  • Battles at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #4)
  • The Village
  • A London Child of the 1870s
  • Good Evening, Mrs Craven: The Wartime Stories of Mollie Panter-Downes
Full name: Dorothy Emily Stevenson.
Her father was a Cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas or Dorothy L. Sayers (to name but a few) her books are funny, intensely readable, engaging and dependable

Miss Buncle (4 books)
  • Miss Buncle's Book (Miss Buncle, #1)
  • Miss Buncle Married (Miss Buncle, #2)
  • The Four Graces (Miss Buncle, #4)