Start by marking “Katherine's Marriage (Katherine, #2)” as Want to Read:
Katherine's Marriage (Katherine, #2)

Katherine's Marriage

(Katherine #2)

Readers who discovered Katherine Wentworth and Alec MacLaren in Katherine Wentworth will be delighted to learn more about this lively pair. Those who are meeting them for the first time will find that this romantic story stands independently and beautifully on its own.

The story opens with the honeymoon of Katherine and Alec at Ardfalloch in the idyllic Scottish Highlands.
Published August 1973 by Fontana (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Katherine's Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katherine's Marriage

Start your review of Katherine's Marriage (Katherine, #2)
Mir
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not very many books start with marriage, do they? I mean, aside from mystery and suspense where one partner is killed or kidnapped on honeymoon. Oh, and those romances novels that start with two strangers somehow being forced into marriage and later falling in love. If you count those genres I guess there are quite a few stories that start with marriage! Forget what I said.

The reason not to start with two grown-up people who have known each other a moderate amount of time getting married is tha
Elizabeth
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh! It ended too fast! Why isn’t there another book in the series? I want more of the story.
Claude
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy, a, uk, fiction
Well, I am a D.E. Stevenson's fan, but was disappointed by this book. What sort of ending was that? It felt like the publisher forgot quite a bit of it. Not only that, but the beginning was a rehash of the previous book in the series. And in between, one cannot say that much happened. So I can't give more than two 1/2 stars to this novel.
Mo
This book was a bit all over the place, with very little resolution to anything. It felt like there would (should) be a 3rd book in this series waiting in the wings to tidy up all the loose ends. Sadly, that is not the case. Katherine's story abruptly ends here.

Bookworman
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a wonderful sequel to Book 1. Another book to be read and re-read over and over.
Tania
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middlebrow
An easy, light, and entertaining read. Just right for me at this time.
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread as audio book.
Hope
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reading
I loved the prequel and was anxious to find out more about Katherine and her family. Her loving relationship with Alec continues in this book, but most of the second half deals with her son Simon and his future. More drama than the first book, but I really enjoyed it.
Catie
**3.5 Stars**

Loved reading the first novel, ‘Katherine Wentworth’. It was such an enjoyable reading experience I quickly picked up the sequel, ‘Katherine’s Marriage’. It was so lovely to revisit characters and see the aftermath of happily ever after. Storylines that began in the first novel were wrapped up, (although a bit too much of a recap of the first novel at times), and a new list of loveable characters were introduced in this book, (MacAslan and his daughter Phil, were particular favourit
Ann
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anglophilia
Lovely escapism reading from the 1950s for Anglophiles ! Katherine, whom we first met in “Katherine Wentworth” as an impoverished widow with young twins and a stepson, has married Edinburgh lawyer Alec MacLaren. They spend their honeymoon in the Highlands but go back home hurriedly when they hear that Alec’s petulant sister, Zilla, has returned home after an abbreviated trip abroad. Zilla did not receive the letter informing her of Alec and Katherine’s marriage and is incensed at what she percei ...more
Katherine
Another evocative, well-written novel by D.E. Stevenson. Oh, how I love this story, these characters! Both are so well defined as to seem real, either they could walk right off the pages, or perhaps me into them. What a pleasure to fall in love with this book all over again!

A treasure of a book (if you can find it), highly recommended.
Evelyn
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
D E Steveson does a good job describing what makes her characters tick. I love the simplicity of the Scotland life.
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off I have to say that I broke my own rule of not reading this author back to back. After finishing Katherine Wentworth I finished reading Vittoria Cottage (I've fallen into the habit of reading multiple books at the same time) and since I was still enjoying them I went ahead and started in on Katherine's Marriage. I probably should have waited.

This was a pleasant enough story following the life of Katherine directly after her marriage to Alec. It picks up with the couple on their honeymoo
Janet Ankiel
DE Stevenson has resurfaced again,this.time in the world of e-readers. I first met her in the 1970s when many of her titles were re-issued in the paperback market. Her body of work paints an interesting view of the citizens of Great Britain in the early part of the 20th century up to and including WWII.

Her characters are generally quite interesting as they cope with the troubles of their lives. Children are often relegated to the margins, left parentless, and struggle to reach the security of ad
Niki (nikilovestoread)
After reading Katherine Wentworth, I wanted to continue on with the books and see where the characters went from there. The first half of the story centers on Katherine and Alec. I enjoyed their time spent at Ardfalloch in the Scottish Highlands and the characters they met there. I'm hoping to see some of them reappear in other books, an element which Stevenson often included in her books (characters making appearances in other books). The second half of the book dealt with Simon and his inherit ...more
Sewingdervish
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was skeptical at first. People of a sensible age do not go camping on their honeymoon. Once I made that leap of faith this was a charming book. Much more of the book with scene from Alec's point of view which was refreshing. Again there are a lot of gems about being the parent of a teenager transitioning into adulthood.
The story was divided into thirds the first, set in he Scottish highlands, the second, set in Edinborough and the third set on the family estate in the south.

These books aren't
Soujanya Murali
A boring sequel to a charming book.

A lot of loose ends left untied, I felt the book was all over the place. The chemistry between Alec and Katherine was boring, Simon's mood swings were difficult to deal with and his constant need to validate his feelings with Alec was taxing.

If you pick up Katherine Wentworth, then I would suggest not following it up with this one. At least you will be free to muse on Katherine's happily ever after life.
Sara
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As with so many of DES's works, Katherine's Marriage is not filled with larger-than-life characters or events or themes. Rather, the people and the plot are believable, relatable. Boring? To some. But I find this type of writing fascinating, even inspiring. The world DES creates invites the reader to enter in and stay a while, to live in her character's shoes for a time. It's an extremely enjoyable experience!
Ann Brown
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The course of true love never did run smoth

D E Stevenson continues to delight me. I enjoy English books (And those set in scotland) and I especially like her voice. It is a joy to get to know her characters, who become friends.
The world of title and money is foreign to me ,and fascinating. can people really not find happiness without inherited money?
Bookworman
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another lovely story from D. E. Stevenson. As one of the other GR reviewers pointed out, it’s so nice to read about a happy marriage that goes beyond the HEA.

The narrator is the same as for book one as is very good.
Dawn
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A tale less of romance than of supporting each other in times of difficulty. It is one I reread every couple of years.
Deb
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much too short

Of course it all ends satisfactorily, but what happens with Zilla and Daisy and Denis?

And why does amazon require a set # of words?
Dinnl
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this as usual, a light feel good novel as DE Stevenson does so well. Would love to know more about the characters, but I will just have to use my imagination.
Christy Whitsell
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

4.5/5 I liked the honeymoon, the new characters, and seeing Simon come into his own. The book stays with Alec, which is fun.
Stephanie C
I enjoyed this, but it felt more like three short stories than one cohesive book.
Susan
Jul 08, 2019 added it
1960's Edinburgh sequel to Katherine Wentworth
Sharon Miller
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book continues the story of Katherine and Simon.

From poverty to riches. A great Cinderella story. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Great reading to all.
Donna Gabbard
My first D. E. Stevenson read. Enjoyed it; however, the ending was quite abrupt......I want to know the rest of the story.
Margaret Dorroh
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shades of a fairy tale. Just what I needed in this pandemic time.
Donna
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely continuation of the first book. The only disappointment is that the book ends very abruptly; it definitely feels as if there should have been a third book.

• Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #1)
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • Constable on the Hill (Constable Nick Mystery #1)
  • Christmas at Thrush Green
  • Changes at Fairacre (Fairacre, #18)
  • Winter in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #2)
  • Tyler's Row (Fairacre, #9)
  • Seaview House
  • Constable on the Prowl (Constable Nick Mystery #2)
  • Somewhere in England
  • Farther Afield (Fairacre, #11)
  • Mr Finchley Discovers His England (Mr Finchley, #1)
  • Mr Finchley Goes to Paris (Mr Finchley, #2)
  • Nothing to Report
  • Affairs at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #7)
  • Not at Home
  • Friends at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #10)
  • The Viceroy's Daughters: The Lives of the Curzon Sisters
Dorothy Emily Stevenson was a best-selling Scottish author. She published more than 40 romantic novels over a period of more than 40 years. Her father was a cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson.

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas

Katherine (2 books)
  • Katherine Wentworth (Katherine, #1)