Start by marking “Katherine's Marriage (Katherine, #2)” as Want to Read:
Katherine's Marriage (Katherine, #2)

Katherine's Marriage

(Katherine #2)

Readers who discovered Katherine Wentworth and Alec MacLaren in Katherine Wentworth will be delighted to learn more about this lively pair. Those who are meeting them for the first time will find that this romantic story stands independently and beautifully on its own.

The story opens with the honeymoon of Katherine and Alec at Ardfalloch in the idyllic Scottish Highlands.
Published August 1973 by Fontana (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Katherine's Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katherine's Marriage

Miriam
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not very many books start with marriage, do they? I mean, aside from mystery and suspense where one partner is killed or kidnapped on honeymoon. Oh, and those romances novels that start with two strangers somehow being forced into marriage and later falling in love. If you count those genres I guess there are quite a few stories that start with marriage! Forget what I said.

The reason not to start with two grown-up people who have known each other a moderate amount of time getting married is tha
Claude
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: a, uk, fiction, cozy
Well, I am a D.E. Stevenson's fan, but was disappointed by this book. What sort of ending was that? It felt like the publisher forgot quite a bit of it. Not only that, but the beginning was a rehash of the previous book in the series. And in between, one cannot say that much happened. So I can't give more than two 1/2 stars to this novel.
Mo
This book was a bit all over the place, with very little resolution to anything. It felt like there would (should) be a 3rd book in this series waiting in the wings to tidy up all the loose ends. Sadly, that is not the case. Katherine's story abruptly ends here.

May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread as audio book.
Hope
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reading
I loved the prequel and was anxious to find out more about Katherine and her family. Her loving relationship with Alec continues in this book, but most of the second half deals with her son Simon and his future. More drama than the first book, but I really enjoyed it.
Ann
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anglophilia
Lovely escapism reading from the 1950s for Anglophiles ! Katherine, whom we first met in “Katherine Wentworth” as an impoverished widow with young twins and a stepson, has married Edinburgh lawyer Alec MacLaren. They spend their honeymoon in the Highlands but go back home hurriedly when they hear that Alec’s petulant sister, Zilla, has returned home after an abbreviated trip abroad. Zilla did not receive the letter informing her of Alec and Katherine’s marriage and is incensed at what she percei ...more
Evelyn Foss
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
D E Steveson does a good job describing what makes her characters tick. I love the simplicity of the Scotland life.
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off I have to say that I broke my own rule of not reading this author back to back. After finishing Katherine Wentworth I finished reading Vittoria Cottage (I've fallen into the habit of reading multiple books at the same time) and since I was still enjoying them I went ahead and started in on Katherine's Marriage. I probably should have waited.

This was a pleasant enough story following the life of Katherine directly after her marriage to Alec. It picks up with the couple on their honeymoo
Janet Ankiel
DE Stevenson has resurfaced again,this.time in the world of e-readers. I first met her in the 1970s when many of her titles were re-issued in the paperback market. Her body of work paints an interesting view of the citizens of Great Britain in the early part of the 20th century up to and including WWII.

Her characters are generally quite interesting as they cope with the troubles of their lives. Children are often relegated to the margins, left parentless, and struggle to reach the security of ad
Dawn
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A tale less of romance than of supporting each other in times of difficulty. It is one I reread every couple of years.
Deb
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much too short

Of course it all ends satisfactorily, but what happens with Zilla and Daisy and Denis?

And why does amazon require a set # of words?
I really didn't want this book to end, and it did end much too suddenly in my opinion, but I so enjoy the world as painted by D E Stevenson that I'm giving it a 3.5 bumped up to 4 stars.

Most of D.E. Stevenson's novels are put in the Romance category, but they are not at all like contemporary romance novels and even less like Mills and Boon or Highland Laird type stories. If there is a love story, it is always discreet and respectful of old-fashioned customs, and never the main focus of the nove
Carolyn
Dec 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is the sequel to Katherine Wentworth where Alex and Katherine meet. It begins after the marriage of Alex and Katherine, on their unusual honeymoon in a cave in the Scottish highlands. They return to Edinburgh to find Alex's touchy sister, who is vacationing with friends, does not know about the wedding and wants to continue living with Alex; and Katherine's oldest son is not adjusting well to the marriage. Her twins try to use magic to make Simon feel better.

I love this series. Katherine i
Chris
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Listened to this one in the car. This is the sequel to Katherine Wentworth. Much more romantic - and as such, it's pure cotton candy. But - it's more fluff than substance, and I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the first book, which had a definite theme that ran through it (the value of personal freedom - and what looks easy isn't necessarily 'freeing'). This book takes puts the same characters through their paces by dropping in several stressful situations. It's entertaining to see how th ...more
Cricket Muse
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This sequel to Katherine Wentworth is quite satisfying. All the same delightful characters are present, Katherine and Alec and Katherine's brood, the irascible Zilla, and the assorted Wentworths. There are plenty of plot-stirrers ranging from honeymooning in a Scottish cave to bearing Zilla's fits to the case of the last-minute will. Stevenson fills the pages with her usual amazing vocabulary and character details. The love between Alec and Katherine is almost too perfect, yet is admirably rich ...more
Katherine
Another evocative, well-written novel by D.E. Stevenson. Oh, how I love this story, these characters! Both are so well defined as to seem real, either they could walk right off the pages, or perhaps me into them. What a pleasure to fall in love with this book all over again!

A treasure of a book (if you can find it), highly recommended.
Susan
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
D.E. Stevenson writes of a simpler time in Scotland, as she continues the story begun in her book "Katherine Wentworth". I liked the details about life in Scotland...on the order of Rosamund Pilcher. Just a nice, satisfying, light read.
Carrieuoregon
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I love D.E. Stevenson. Lovely, gentle cozies. However, this one didn't have an ending so much as a last page...
Bree (AnotherLookBook)

Annie
May 31, 2016
Linda Chrisman
Mar 02, 2015
  • The Heart of the Family (Eliots of Damerosehay, #3)
  • My Lord Monleigh
  • Winter in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #2)
  • Summer Half
  • The Lark Shall Sing (Waynes of Wood Mount, #1)
  • Stella Dallas
  • The Far Cry
  • The Nutmeg Tree
Full name: Dorothy Emily Stevenson.
Her father was a Cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas or Dorothy L. Sayers (to name but a few) her books are funny, intensely readable, engaging and dependable

Katherine (2 books)
  • Katherine Wentworth (Katherine, #1)