Start by marking “A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

A Hidden Fire

(Elemental Mysteries #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  22,352 ratings  ·  1,873 reviews
A phone call from an old friend sets Dr. Giovanni Vecchio back on the path of a mysterious manuscript he's hunted for over five hundred years. He never expected a young student librarian could be the key to unlock its secrets, nor could he have predicted the danger she would attract.

Now he and Beatrice De Novo follow a twisted maze that leads from the archives of a univer
Published October 13th 2011 by E. Hunter

To ask other readers questions about A Hidden Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hidden Fire

·  22,352 ratings  ·  1,873 reviews

Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: our buddy read w/my TBD girls!
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
3.5 stars. This is a spoiler-free review regarding plot, but if you don't want to know what type of "beings" these guys are (I say who cares, you find out fairly early in the book), read no further. *cue ominous music*
'Do you like Gio? Check yes or no.'
She wrote back 'How can you be this childish after a thousand years?'

The dialogue (written or spoken) was what sold me on this book. Was there a mystery happening? If so, I didn't really care. I much preferred the character interaction to the
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 1.5 stars.

I should have DNFed this one preemptively the minute I saw that some people of despicable book taste of my friends had shelved it as "cute" and "mushy."

This book is (check all that apply):
Boring.
Predictable.
✘ As juvenile as can be.
Flatter than my favorite herd of ironing boards.
✘ Packed with dull, uninteresting characters who act like a bunch of 16-year-olds.
✘ Graced with a supposedly strong, clever female MC who is naught but a silly wimp.
✘ So repetitive and badl
Elizabeth Hunter
description

Ah, the book that started it all. It's been over five years since this book was published. FIVE YEARS? How did that happen?

I still love this book. I still love Giovanni and Beatrice. I still love the world this book began. I love book-loving vampires...

description
(I'm only going with Gandy bc he's a reader favorite and... glasses. Ah, who am I kidding? He's super hot.)

And librarians who are not impressed...
...with your specialness.

Also FIRE.

description

And twisty, sneaky villains.

And all sorts of fun stuff.

Yeah, still
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michelle by: Tammy
Okay -- are you listening to me??? READ THIS BOOK!

I got an email from a very good friend. She said, try this book. She and I read some of the same stuff, but not always, so I was like okay. found it on B&N for $2.99, so why not. I bought it a few weeks ago and kept thinking, I really need to read this so I can tell Tam how I like it.

AWESOME!! I loved Gio. Loved Gio. Beatrice was someone I'd like and trust. The development of these characters was really nice. I really can't say too much, or I
Lucia
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
My Beatrice and Giovanni:

Eventful story about young libarian Beatrice De Novo and mysterious Dr. Giovanni Vecchio is amazing introduction into this paranormal series. I loved it and I cannot wait to read more!

I love mysterious, unreadable heroes who keep to themselves. Dr. Giovanni Vecchio is one of them. Well educated and perfect gentleman. Self-confident, but he never came off as arrogant jerk. And there was so much more to him. It took me long time to partially figure him out and I'm sure the
Aisling Zena

Contains minor spoilers and complaining and it's mostly for me to remember why I didn't like it.

I'm not sure I read the same book everyone else has and I'm feeling terribly left out..
description
Almost all my friends that read this gave it 5-4 stars. I don't know why. I found it so incredibly boring. I nearly fell asleep reading it more times than I can count. Literally nothing happens until 70% and when some action does happen, the strategy of it is something a brash teen would do and not hundred/
Rabidreading
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, vampires
What a find! A Hidden Fire was not at ALL the type of vampire book I am accustomed to reading. Instead of a dark, brooding hero oozing sex appeal, and a heroine who can't fall into the hero's arms fast enough, I was treated to a slow-cooking romance with a dash of mystery that centers around the search for BOOKS. Really, what's not to love about that? lol

Beatrice De Novo is a librarian in training who works in the rare book/manuscript department at her local university. When she takes over the
Kate's Corner
First read 25th May 2013. First read rating was ★★★★★.
Re-read 20th May 2015. My opinion hasn't changed still ★★★★★.
3rd time read 15th September 2017 and guess what? Still hasn’t changed. ★★★★★.

New review

With all vamp books I’m not always a fan of the fang. I wanted a different take. I was getting fed up with the Anita Blake series which sucked lemons and after 4 years still does IMO. This series is a hit for me every single time. With each reread I still find things that can surprise me which I
Alex is The Romance Fox

I was recommended this series by one of my GR friends….and I am so happy about it.

My interest started with the cover….a library. Books. Just what I love!!!

Then there’s the story…... Vampires, romance, libraries, interesting and endearing characters.
I can’t say enough about how much I enjoyed reading this.

The story line is absolutely stunning. The world that the author has created is fresh, intriguing and original.
I now have a new favorite couple…….Dr Giovanni Vecchio, aka Gio, the gorgeous, sexy
Wendy
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, pnr, favorites
This a wonderful book full of rich characters, a puzzling mystery that will have you engrossed in no time. Elizabeth Hunter has built a paranormal world that has characters with their own unique abilities. But there’s no bigger mystery than our own hero Giovanni. There’s definitely more to this character that meets the eye and he’s absolutely gorgeous!

Beatrice our heroine is bubbly, intelligent and is a perfect match for Gio. The romance is fabulously written. It's not a quick romp when they fir
Annika
description

Me being a gigantic fan of Elizabeth Hunter's Irin Chronicles Trilogy, it was really just a matter of time until I started reading another of her series.
This book has been sitting on my Kindle for ages, but the vampire thing just put me off. See, I don't usually like vampires with all their emoness and woe-is-me weltschmerz attitude and perfect looks and mad love making-skills. Boooring! I prefer real monsters.
However, I was in the mood for some Urban Fantasy, and I'd already downloaded the book
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
My Rating: 10 The best book I have read in a while!

My Cover Thoughts: I absolutely love the cover. It is a picture of a library on fire. I love libraries and I love to read. If you have not gone to an old library you must find one and visit it. Old libraries hold so much mystery and intrigue you will be inspired to sit and read or sit and enjoy the priceless history you are looking at.

My Thoughts/Review: OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! This story had me on the edge of my bed all weekend. Once I started re
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Well, this was one huge disappointment. It is one of those everyone likes, but me books.
I finish reading anything I start, but I was seriously tempted to stop reading this. The first half of the book nothing happens. I remember reading some of the reviews and thinking it might be fun.
It is way too slow for a ... actually, I am not even sure what this is anymore. It isn't really a paranormal romance. There is romance, but in this first book it is more in the background or a set-up for the future.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
10/24/14 reread

This was a lot less frustrating on the second pass. I don't know if it's b/c I've grown to appreciate a good slow burn romance, or b/c I know what happens, but either way, this is one of the rare books that improves on the second reading.

It's a little annoying that after finishing this book I still don't know what the MCs are after. Specifically, I mean. I know that they're after old books full of big secrets, but not what those big secrets are, or why they're important . . . not
Melindeeloo
I am going have a hard time explaining why I enjoyed Hidden Fire so much. As a romance it is mild and up front - and without being too spoilerish - I have to say that while the ending is hopeful, Hidden Fire is just the first episode and the story continues in This Same Earth, just so that no one expects all the elements of the story to wrap up in a single book.

I really enjoyed the slowly building relationship between the gorgeous and unusual book scholar Giovanni Vecchio and library student int
AJ
Woohoo!! A new series for me to obsess over!!

I am a massive lover of paranormal books, and this gem took me by surprise! Different from the paranormals that I usually read, this is a very intelligent book with a lot of emotional depth to it. It’s a bit slow to start - rather than being thrown straight into the action, it’s the kind of book you slowly sink into, but I think it sets the mood and fits the story beautifully. I absolutely loved it!

Beatrice is a fantastic heroine. A young librarian,
Bindi Boo
5 million stars

I still can't believe i'm just finding out about this series. If you love paranormal romance with a dashing, intelligent vampire professor and a sweet,sassy human heroine, YOU MUST READ THIS!!
It's a series of 4 books and there's romance, suspense and lots of action!
Off to devour the next book! To find out what that word 'Tesoro' means.... Yeeeehaaaaaaa~
Emmy
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"Tell the truth, Giovanni Vecchio." A mischievous look came to her eye. "You have a butler, a cool car, and I've only seen you at night..."

He froze, tension suddenly evident in the set of his shoulders. Beatrice leaned closer and whispered, "You're Batman, aren't you?"

This debut novel by Elizabeth and the first in the Elemental Mysteries series was published last October. Luckily for you readers who decide to give it a try, This Same Earth (book 2) and The Force of Wind (book 3) are now availabl
Ash Wednesday
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PNR readers who appreciate clever dialogue and wrestling
Recommended to Ash Wednesday by: Buddy Read with TBD
3.5 STARS

I just realized this is my first UF read after Georgina Kincaid.

Uh-oh.

And my first (view spoiler) book in a while.

Dubs uh-oh.

I'm not really actively avoiding these particular "creatures" in my PNRs and the reason I've put off reading this was it had the lethal combo of having a generic title (I seriously can't even remember it while writing this) and being offered as a kindle freebie from amazon. This is a book that is so easy to overlook if not for the strengt
Minie
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book came highly recommended, however as i read, I found that there were too many (i consider) useless characters mentioned. The characters weren't very well developed and i couldn't really relate to any of them. Too many meaningless characters.

The plot is horrible. what do i care about some lost books from 500 years before? If Lorenzo's had it all these years and didn't do anything with it, why now? The plot, the story line just didn't hold much interest for me. And drama/action?? TALK ABO
Alissa
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-ebooks
This is a nice character-driven paranormal mystery with a pleasant slow burning romance. Also, there are books and librarians involved which is always a plus for me. The pace is spot-on and the story is simple and linear, the main strength of the book is the protagonists who, as their surnames suggest, have very different approaches to reality and to overcoming hurdles.

While this novel has a proper ending, the central mystery is still unsolved and the story is fully open for the next installment
Didi
As seen on www.choicebookreviews.net.

AMAZING.

SPECTACTULAR.

BEAUTIFUL.

COULD.NOT.PUT.IT.DOWN.

This has been sitting on my TRB's for a while now and finally, FINALLY! I read it. And my only question is...WHY THE HELL DID I WAIT SO DAMN LONG??!!!

It was so fantastically amazing I am still reeling from it's punch of awesomeness! This is a paranormal romance and the BEST VAMPIRE-DRIVEN PARANORMAL ROMANCE I'VE EVER READ. Boom! that's what I just said!! And here's the clincher:

The romance wasn't fast. It w
Eva Rose
*some swearing, lots of anger*

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I rated it 3 stars the other day and then... I had chance to sleep on it and that's when I got so beyond fucking angry.

Giovanni is the one of the biggest asshole around, yes, he is. Beatrice is the biggest Mary Sue I had ever read. She doesn't know what she wants or where she goes or what she fucking does. She can't even muster the courage to call Gio on his shit when HE decides their relationship, after EVERYTHING that happened, is a no
Splage
4 1/2 Stars

Beatrice or B, a goth girl, works in a library when she meets Gio, a mysterious gentleman. Beatrice was on to him, she didn't know what he was, but she knew he was different. He was intrigued and attracted to her, but fought it because of his nature...and he was 500 years older than her. There is a connection in their pasts that comes to light and brings them together to solve a mystery.

My brain is fried so here is a list of my thoughts and why I loved it:

Exceptional story- a lot of t
Steelwhisper
This is advertised as PNR, but actually reads like Mary Sue-style Twilight fanfiction with very little substance.

These are not the droids I was looking for This is not the sort of alternative PNR I was looking for.
Meags
4 Stars

Far be it from me to keep a woman from her book. That could become dangerous.

And with that, Dr. Giovanni Vecchio became an instantaneous book boyfriend (or my “literary vampire beau”, as my mum would call him). He was swoon worthy in the way many PNR lead characters are, but unlike many of his counterparts he wasn’t just a pretty face, all broody or non-communicative. He came across as intelligent and pensive, and fiercely protective of the rare few humans (and vampires) that earned his
 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~
Solid 5.5 stars

I love this book. This one is a paranormal mystery/romance that caters to and stimulates your intellectual side. I don't think I've read a PNR mystery executed quite this way before. It takes what we all have come to know, love, or maybe even hate about this genre and puts a new spin on it. While keeping it intriguing, entertaining, touching, mysterious, sexy & erotic all at the same time.

This is the 1st installment to this series. And I am completely hooked. Rarely do I come
Amanda
5 emotionally touched and sensual stars.

I can't believe I actually put this in my TBR for so long. Sometimes I felt that with the ever increasing TBR list, there is often a hidden gem awaiting me to actually pick it up and read it. I was actually expecting it to be yet another vamp story, all the lust, a lot of sex and the vamp politic. But I'm so wrong. This really exceed my expectation maybe due to the slow start of the book and the confusing POV in the beginning chapters. But don't worry, it
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PNR/UF fans
Recommended to Anna (Bobs Her Hair) by: Beckyloohoo Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ aka Mrs. Acheron Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

A Hidden Fire is an inexpensive little treasure! Goodreads friends were all aflutter about it a few months back. A book challenge finally pushed me to read this new-to-me author. (Thank you, Beckyloohoo!)

This is book one of four. (Yes! A series with an ending! Oh, happy days!) The Elemental Mystery series focuses on two characters: Beatrice De Novo and Giovanni Vecchio. Their romance isn’t rushed and appears to evolve through the series. There isn’t instant love/lust and their attracti
Lia Park
Ok let me say that I am not really into vampire fiction but this book was a freaking guilty pleasure. I really really liked it and it has been a while since the last time I’ve considered any character as a book boyfriend.

Writing Style

I am satisfied with the writing style even though I found it a bit odd at first. What I mean is that there was third person POV mostly focused on Giovanni. So when the focus was on Giovanni, the writing style was a bit more formal, just like him. If it was first per
A Million More Pages: BOTM 2018 - A Hidden Fire - Starts 25th August 10 39 Aug 29, 2018 06:49AM
The Free Book Cha...: A Hidden Fire, Elizabeth Hunter 5 71 Jun 17, 2015 08:12PM
Wonderful reads!! 17 109 Feb 02, 2015 12:06PM
  • Inhale (Just Breathe, #1)
  • Bound by Blood (The Garner Witch #1)
  • Raphael (Vampires in America, #1)
  • La Luxure: Discover Your Blood Lust (Human Vampire #1)
  • This Blood (Grace Allen, #1)
  • Drip Drop Teardrop
  • City of Mirrors (Diana Poole #1)
  • Jump (The Senses, #1)
  • Secrets (The Guardian Trilogy #1)
  • Hunter's Blood (Cursed by Blood, #1)
  • Chosen by Sin (Para-Ops, #3)
  • Hyde (Hyde, #1)
  • Eternal Seduction (A Darkness Within, #1)
  • Darkness Awakened (Order of the Blade #1)
  • Love is Darkness (Valerie Dearborn, #1)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • Come Alive (Experiment in Terror, #7)
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
ELIZABETH HUNTER is a USA Today and international bestselling author of romance, contemporary fantasy, and paranormal mystery. Based in Central California, she travels extensively to write fantasy fiction exploring world mythologies, history, and the universal bonds of love, friendship, and family.

She has published over thirty works of fiction and sold over a million books world-wide. She is the

Elemental Mysteries (4 books)
  • This Same Earth (Elemental Mysteries, #2)
  • The Force of Wind (Elemental Mysteries, #3)
  • A Fall of Water (Elemental Mysteries #4)
“Far be it from me to keep a woman from her book. That could become dangerous.” 159 likes
“And I also believe that love can work miracles."

"Love?" She cocked an eyebrow at him. "What about friendship? Can that work miracles, too?"

Carwyn rolled his eyes. "Silly B, love is friendship...just with less clothes, which makes it far more brilliant.”
101 likes