Start by marking “Hit by a Farm: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barn” as Want to Read:
Hit by a Farm: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barn

Hit by a Farm: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barn

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  1,679 Ratings  ·  243 Reviews
Farms have fences. People have boundaries. Mine began crumbling the day I knelt behind a male sheep, reached between his legs, and squeezed his testicles. This took place one blustery November day when I joined other shepherd-wannabees for a class on the basics of raising sheep. I was there with my partner Melissa, the woman I'd lived with for twelve years, because we were ...more
Published March 28th 2006 by Da Capo Press (first published March 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hit by a Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hit by a Farm

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverAll Creatures Great and Small by James HerriotThe Dirty Life by Kristin KimballFarm City by Novella CarpenterHit by a Farm by Catherine Friend
Down on the Farm
147 books — 189 voters
Truth, Dare, or Handcuffs or Threeway by Jade JamesSuch a Pretty Fat by Jen LancasterMacho Sluts by Patrick Califia-RiceTwilight by Stephenie MeyerPregnesia by Carla Cassidy
Worst Book Titles
180 books — 152 voters

More lists with this book...

Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love reading books about people who work the land for a living -- particularly those who have forsaken city life for a "taste of the way life used to be." I'm not sure why I have the fascination as I'm pretty sure this type of life wouldn't suit me at all! Yes, I love raising my chickens, but my basil plants are already dead this year due to lack of attention, and I don't even pretend to plant a garden any more.

This book is an enjoyable little romp through farm life, with quite a bit of depth
Valeria Wicker
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As an aspiring hobby farmer, I wanted to read this book to get an idea of the transition one makes when starting a life in agriculture. While I was expecting this memoir to cover the fish-out-of-water aspect of an author not raised in farming delving into cultivation and animal husbandry, I was surprised to find that it became in the second half a saga of loss and repair.

Starting a country homestead was Catherine's partner's dream and not her own. She was supportive of Melissa through the years,
Cheryl
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful. Parallel to Beekman Boys, but much more real - more true to the challenges of farming, more true to the feelings of the people, no Martha or Oprah. Not an advertisement for their products, either.

"Half writer, half farmer. Half city girl, half country girl. Half crazy, half sane."

"Nature is not some pristine concept to be marveled at or worshipped.... We are part of nature, not just observers, and must acknowledge that nature has winners and losers, predators and prey."

"But then I ke
Jean
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Every once in a while, I take a break from reading thrillers and mysteries and pick out something of a different genre, perhaps an historical fiction or a memoir. Honestly, Catherine Friend’s Hit by a Farm would not have been on my radar at all had I not seen a flyer at our local library announcing that she is speaking there next week. Hmm, I thought, I had looked for this book a few times in the past, because I actually knew her partner Melissa thirty-some years ago when we were in a women’s gr ...more
Laura Lough
Oct 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
What I didn't love about this book: I was a little disappointed by how much the author whines about life on the farm. I understand that this is the story about how she *learned* to love the barn, which means that at first she didn't like it very much, but a lot of her complaints seemed silly to me and so I had a hard time feeling a connection with the writer. I am much more like her partner (in fact, I convinced my own spouse to buy a farm and totally change our lives) and so I had a hard time u ...more
Elizabeth Lee
This book was an onslaught of whining.

It was, essentially, an incessant refrain of "I don't like doing this, why am I doing this? I should leave, but I'm too chicken to leave. This is making me unhappy. I hate this. I'm going to keep doing it anyway."

There were interesting facts about raising sheep and their various quirks, as well as a handful of other animals, which made it readable.

The author was clearly a fish out of water throughout the whole book, going along with her partner's "dream" o
Cherylann
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bonny
Shelves: memoirs
I normally listen to audiobooks as I travel back and forth to work. My commute isn't long (only 20 miles), but the drive can be tedious - especially when trapped behind farm equipment. The only genre I prefer to have the author narrate is memoir. Memoir also happens to be one of my favorite genres. So I was thrilled when Barb and Tracey reviewed and recommend this book on their podcast 2 Knit Lit Chicks. I was even more thrilled that Catherine Friend, the author, narrated this book. I began list ...more
Heidi
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A must read. Here are some of the gems I walked away with:

"Stories connect us more deeply than any gift."

"Raising livestock pulled me into a symbiotic, intense relationship with animals: I feed you, then you feed me, my family, my friends. As I ate, a surprising emotion swept through me--deep, deep gratitude."

"I have come to see that all I can do, out of respect, is pay attention to nature, to see it for what it is, not for what I want it to be... Yes, it is true, as many poets have appropriate
Donna
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it

This book was funny. The author and her partner leave the city for farm life. They do not shed a romanticized eye on their new life. It sounds hard and really hard. But it was so funny. I was certainly entertained.

It turned out to be about more than just farm life. Towards the end, they were near separation. So they dealt with that as well. This was nicely balanced.

Holly
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
I really enjoyed listening to this book. I was looking for something to listen to while walking the dog, something light that didn't require my full attention if I got side-tracked and missed a couple blurbs here and there. This book fulfilled that quota and then some.
While I cannot imagine ever having a legitimate urge to become a farmer (or a lesbian for that matter), I found parallels with my life and that of the author's. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the farm antics, and move
Darcy
I found this one to be entertaining. Part of it is that I grew up with family that farms and I know how hard work it is, so when "city" people jump in to farm and there is drama I find it funny. I'm also familiar with the area that these women farm, so that is nice. But as much fun as it was to go with these women on their journey I'm glad that my own role is to listen.

Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was a random book that popped up as a Amazon recommendation for me. Because I've taken a great interest in farming and homesteading lately, I thought it would be enjoyable to read an account from someone who has actually done what I want to do. Catherine Friend provided that in this memoir of her life when she moved out to the farm.

She and her partner Melissa, following one of Melissa's dreams, buy a farm and start putting up fences (literally and figuratively as the farm seems to be a
Arminzerella
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Catherine Friend and her partner Melissa decided to follow Melissa’s dream of becoming a farmer, so they bought some land in Minnesota, built a home on it, put up some fencing, and bought their first lambs and chickens. In addition to the livestock, they also decided to grow grapes. Neither had much farming experience, although Melissa worked for the USDA for a time, and despite all of their research their learning curve was pretty steep their first couple of years. Melissa battled with constant ...more
Catherine
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sustainability, food
There's much to recommend in Friend's Hit by a Farm - the endearing stories of the llamas who nanny flocks of sheep, for example, or the stories of baby goats playing tag. There's also a hefty dose of realism to the book. There's death a-plenty as the animals on the farm fall prey to coyotes, hawks, eagles, disease, and natural causes, and Friend spends one chapter discussing the fact that farming, even if you love it, is far from idyllic. That applies not just to the animals on the farm, but th ...more
Melissa Robinson
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt
Catherine Friend is perfectly content to be an author and writing instructor, living in a small town. Her long-time partner, Melissa, isn’t. Melissa dreams of farming, so Catherine gamely agrees and throws herself into their agricultural endeavors.

Quickly, Catherine discovers that she is being consumed by tending sheep, chickens and grapes and neglecting her writing. She begins to wonder if both she and Melissa can pursue their dreams, or if one must sacrifice their passions.

Friend’s memoir abou
Gwen
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Friday Reads:

Catherine and Melissa are a couple who reside in southeastern Minnesota who decide to go farming - more specifically, raising sheep and poultry and starting a vineyard. Catherine was an author prior to her and Melissa starting this endeavour and going farming was really Melissa's dream. I listened to this book on audio with Catherine being the narrator. I found her voice so similar to Cheryl Strayed that at times I had to remind myself that Cheryl wasn't narrating.

I enjoyed the book
Tarryn
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I kept waiting for the author to stop complaining and "Love the barn" -- but it never really seemed to happen. While I did enjoy her descriptions of the quirky personalities of her livestock and some of their novice farming adventures -- there was far too much whining and despairing for me to really get invested in the author and her narrative. And it was hard to sympathize with her woes when she and her partner knowingly went from their urban lifestyle with zero farming experience to a flock of ...more
Sue Way
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A quick and fun depiction of a woman becoming a farmer to help her partner live her dream. The author also addresses the challenge of maintaining an individual identity in a relationship when one's life purpose is as all encompassing as starting and running a sheep farm. And, did I say it was funny!
Bryn Riekstins
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had already read the author's later farm memoir, "Sheepish", and quite enjoyed this earlier peek at her life on the farm.
Elizabeth Boehmer
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an easy read that keeps you laughing and rolling your eyes till the very end. The author writes in a way that you can easily read this book within a day or two and is all about the reality and joys of embarking on a foreign adventure with the one you love. On the cover it says, "particularly riveting for the male reader.." but I'd recommend this book to anyone. If life in solitude, raising animals or crops, building your own home, or changing your perspective on life in general interest ...more
Rachel
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-on-tape
I actually thought this was a different book when I started it. I enjoyed that the author herself read it (I listened to the audiobook). This is book is at least as much about marriage/partnership and living with another person as it is about life on the farm.

There were amusing parts and some very serious subject matter too. It was not the most beautifully written thing I have ever heard but I did enjoy hearing about the highs and lows of farm life.
Kris
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked that she was very frank about not liking the experience at first. As someone who is considering making the jump to farming, it was nice to not read bucolic description after bucolic description.
Jeanie T
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perfect for my day dreams of being a shepherd.
Heather Ray
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-friends
This genre (regular people go nutty and buy a farm) is one of my favorites. This is a great example of it!
Brekke
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
3.5 Stars.
A cute memoir about an anxious city-girl moving to the country so her wife can pursue her dream of farming. An honest look at the challenges and joys of farm life.
Becky
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Funny, and tells the side of farming that you don’t see at the state fair. Quick and light read.
Julie
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic
A quick way to get me interested in a book is to have a sheep on the cover. I play with wool, and in doing so, I've read up a lot on different breeds of sheep, and have had that fantasy of having my own sheep. (Also, because they'd be great lawn mowers.) ;)

Funny, but there are also a lot of realities about living on a farm - and not all of them are happy. But it's also a love story, a finding yourself story, and an amazing look at life on a farm.

I'm looking forward to reading more by Catherine
Sara Schertz
Dec 03, 2009 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I stumbled on it accidentally after reading the author's novel "The Spanish Pearl." The title caught my eye because I recently read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver, so I guess I was in the mood for books about people jumping into farming. That this one featured a lesbian couple in a long-term relationship made it even more interesting.

This book was pretty different from the Kingsolver book though. That one was more of a how to, and in some ways roma
Katie Kenig
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
With our plans to create our ranch in less than a year, I've made up a little list of homesteading books - some how-to's, some memoirs - and this one was the one I was most anxious to read.

It definitely didn't disappoint!

Hit By a Farm is the story of a lesbian couple without farming experience, who decide to change their lives, move to the country, and farm. They aren't sure what they are going to farm, but they are getting prepared by reading books (seriously, is there a question as to why I re
Joy
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've had this on my to-read list for a while and picked it up along with several other books recently. I've read several other farming-related memoirs, as well as follow a few blogs daily, so I'm familiar with the general concepts and pitfalls as much as someone who doesn't farm can be. This book followed a slightly different approach to the story, and it was entertaining and a good read because of it.

The author and protagonist of the story is a burgeoning writer, who agrees to buy and start a f
  • Goat Song: A Seasonal Life, A Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese
  • The Accidental Farmers: An urban couple, a rural calling and a dream of farming in harmony with Nature
  • Barnheart: The Incurable Longing for a Farm of One's Own
  • Coop: A Year of Poultry, Pigs, and Parenting
  • Deeply Rooted: Unconventional Farmers in the Age of Agribusiness
  • The Contrary Farmer
  • Fifty Acres and a Poodle: A Story of Love, Livestock, and Finding Myself on a Farm
  • It's a Long Road to a Tomato: Tales of an Organic Farmer Who Quit the Big City for the (Not So) Simple Life
  • The Feast Nearby: How I lost my job, buried a marriage, and found my way by keeping chickens, foraging, preserving, bartering, and eating locally (all on $40 a week)
  • The Seasons on Henry's Farm: A Year of Food and Life on a Sustainable Farm
  • The Blueberry Years: A Memoir of Farm and Family
  • A Country Year: Living the Questions
  • You Can Farm: The Entrepreneur's Guide to Start and Succeed in a Farm Enterprise
  • Trauma Farm: A Rebel History of Rural Life
  • The Backyard Beekeeper: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden
  • The Bucolic Plague: How Two Manhattanites Became Gentlemen Farmers: An Unconventional Memoir
  • Growing a Farmer: How I Learned to Live Off the Land
  • This Organic Life: Confessions of a Suburban Homesteader
141922
Catherine Friend had what she calls a "boring" childhood, but she says that boring was just fine -- because it gave her more time to read. She read so much her parents had to set a "no-reading-at-the dinner-table" rule. She was slightly shy as a child, but enjoyed playing Beauty Parlor with her sister, taking family trips, and watching STAR TREK and TIME TUNNEL.

She studied Economics, but because
More about Catherine Friend...

Nonfiction Deals

• Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent
    $4.99 $1.99
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Tao of Bill Murray: Real-Life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing
    $11.99 $2.99