Start by marking “Giordano Bruno: Philosopher/Heretic” as Want to Read:
Giordano Bruno: Philosopher/Heretic

Giordano Bruno: Philosopher/Heretic

Giordano Bruno is one of the great figures of early modern Europe, and one of the least understood. Ingrid D. Rowland’s pathbreaking life of Bruno establishes him once and for all as a peer of Erasmus, Shakespeare, and Galileo, a thinker whose vision of the world prefigures ours.

By the time Bruno was burned at the stake as a heretic in 1600 on Rome’s Campo dei
Published August 19th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Giordano Bruno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giordano Bruno

Start your review of Giordano Bruno: Philosopher/Heretic
Martin Fossum
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Maybe I'll add more here later, but this book was a bit messy. Bruno was a dynamic and arguably brilliant late 16th century thinker, but Rowland managed to depict him as a somewhat hapless Dominican who didn't have suitable respect for the mortal threat of the Inquisition.

Hey, I'm a historian by trade here, and I wanted Rowland to bring this period of Italian and European history to life for me. Give me some smells, give me the stench of the sewers of Naples and give me a glimpse int
Alex
It's hard when you only read one of many accounts of a controversial figure; now I only know one perspective well. Giordano Bruno was many things; by emphasizing certain aspects of his work, one can paint him as whatever one wishes. Among others, Bruno was:

- Some sort of pantheist who believed that God was infinite, the little things don't matter, and anyone who got bogged down in detailed questions of dogma was an ass.

- An obnoxious prick who considered nearly everyone a
Bruce
Sep 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
I found Ingrid Rowland’s biography of Giordano Bruno a bit disappointing, and I still wonder who he really was, Rowland having painted a picture of a visionary thinker wandering around Europe in the late 16th Century, ever out of step with the rigid theological partisans of his time, always forced to flee from one danger to another, writing and writing and writing, finally being imprisoned for seven years by the Inquisition in Rome and burned at the stake in 1600, but she never seems to have giv ...more
TrumanCoyote
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating account of a fellow who was much more interesting than I thought he would be. I expected a retiring and oft-penitent monk, but instead there was this garrulous and larger-than-life (even though smaller than average) figure who traveled widely and wrote a great deal on numerous things. Rowland proves to be a nicely low-key and genial host throughout, and brings both Bruno and his times to life in admirable fashion (all the more remarkable of a feat when you consider that she really ...more
Gina Scioscia
As full of contradictions in personality as the church that burned him, Bruno emerges in Rowland's biography just slightly out of focus. As a scholarly writer, I can imagine Rowland did not want to embellish what she could not establish as fact. Unfortunately, this makes for a somewhat dry read as we follow Bruno's wanderings in Europe and try to understand him. What emerges in the end is the picture of a man who had harmed no one, who was simply a solitary thinker and writer, who wanted, mostly ...more
Anita
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I came to understand a lot about Poetry, science and the politics of religion from this book.

It's not an easy or a fast read- I took my time and savored it which is what I recommend anyone who wants to read this book do too, its beautifully written and should be enjoyed.
Franz
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Giordorno Bruno suffered, at least in some respects, the misfortune of being ahead of his time. Born in near Naples in 1548 and burned at the stake in Rome in 1600, Bruno managed to pack in a lot of traveling and writing in his 52 years. This nicely written biography not only describes Bruno’s life, travels, and trial for heresy, but it also serves as a nice introduction to his philosophy.

Some other readers were not impressed with this book, regarding it as dry, dull, and unfocused, among other
Ryan Hood
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid little bit of history and got me interested in Bruno as a writer, its explicit goal.
Lisa
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gave-up-on
So boring, I could not get through it.
Ankh156
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Good, vivid account of The Nolan's errant life.
Caitlin
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Ingrid D. Rowland, the author, lives in Rome and teaches in the University of Notre Dame's School of Architecture. She in fact is not educated as a historian or philosopher, etc. She does supply us with a bibliography and notes, but it is not cited throughout the book. Her writing style is decent, but she needed to be more succinct. There is a lot of information given, and I believe that not all of it should be used. She appears to have gone off on a few tangents, where the information/discussio ...more
James
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found this book difficult to read, not for its writing style, which I found to be very good, nor the story line, which was well presented, but for the descriptions of the creative savagery and brutality of the Catholic church.

Bruno was a brilliant man who believed divinity existed in all of us and that God in his infinite compassion would forgive every human being. He believed in an interconnectedness of all life. He was a believer in an infinite cosmos. Kepler sited Bruno as the c
Roo
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read references about Giordano Bruno in "M: The Man Who Became Caravaggio." I learned that he was burned at the stake in 1600 for his belief that the universe was infinite. That was the time of the Inquisition.
Imagine my delight when the new series "Cosmos" with Neil DeGrasse Tyson talked about Bruno in it's premier episode! It is nice to be reading a book alongside other media that highlights the subject.
I finished the book in time for my trip to Italy in May. I visited the Campo Di Fiori i
Geo Forman
May 08, 2009 rated it liked it
aka Filipo de Nola. Nola was his home town, just outside Naples. Giordano was his confirmation name.

got a little heavy into philosophy when all I really wanted was a biography. I learned what I wanted to learn about him, and more than I needed to know. his confrontational demeanor finally earned him the stake. he thumbed his nose one time too many at the Church. he was well known for his exceptional memory. when studying to become a priest, he had an audience with the Pope to demonst
Ron
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very engaging and thorough biography of another great mind destroyed by the vile influence of religion. From Amazon: Giordano Bruno (1548–1600) is one of the great figures of early modern Europe, and one of the least understood. Ingrid D. Rowland’s biography establishes him once and for all as a peer of Erasmus, Shakespeare, and Galileo—a thinker whose vision of the world prefigures ours.

Writing with great verve and erudition, Rowland traces Bruno’s wanderings through a sixteenth-c
Katie
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
This is a tough book for me to rate because it's the first book that I've read about Bruno. He's an inherently fascinating guy, full of massive contradictions and intelligence, and so the book winds up being inherently interesting because of its subject matter. As a biography, though, I think it spends a bit too much time ponderously following Bruno from city to city and not quite enough actually unpacking his ideas. Most chapters are interesting but unfocused.

In Ingrid Rowland's favor though,
Chris Bartholomew
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Giordano Bruno believed that the Earth circled the sun and worse than that was one of an infinite number of planets circling an infinite number of stars. He was also a man of great religious faith believing that God made of this possible. ...as a result he was defrocked from his religious order, banned from practicing his Catholic faith by the Pope and driven from his homeland by the Spanish Inquisition. He eventually returned was tried, held in a squalid prison cell for many years, tortured and ...more
Colin
A somewhat interesting, though meandering, biography of Giordano Bruno of Nola (Iordanus Brunus Nolanus, Renaissance philosopher burned at the stake for heresy. Bruno is often cited as a martyr to intellectual freedom, and I had hoped that this biography would lead me to understand why he is so revered as such. I was somewhat disappointed - while I often had the thought that the author was trying to make some kind of point along these lines, it never really became clear to me what the author's p ...more
Roy
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
A good introductory biography of Bruno. Well-written and easy to read. Some, but very little, previously unknown material is presented. It must be difficult to write a biography of someone such as Bruno for whom there is so little original source documentation. Rowland includes several comparisons to near-contemporary figures of Bruno, suggesting that similar things must have happened to him.
Not very in-depth philosophically.
I would recommend this book to someone who knows little or nothi
Amanda
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A 16th-century philosopher within the context of pivots in scientific and religious perspectives is a bit outside the areas I have tended to read in the last several years, but I was glad I dug into this book.

Rowland's presentation of Bruno's life was engaging and illuminating, and her translations of his verse, beyond being impressive simply by existing, were both lyrical and entertaining.

My time spent reading a biography of a man who was imaginative, unconventional, and ultimately
Geoff Wyss
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very readable (but at the same time not "popularized," in the mode of Greenblatt's The Swerve, which in part led me to this book) biography of this restless, iconoclastic thinker. Had thought his way (despite being a Dominican priest) to an infinite universe composed of atoms--before Galileo.
David
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Eh.

The first chapter and last couple of chapters were fine. But that's when he was being burned at the stake. This kinda read like a thesis. The author is a fine researcher, but not much of a writer. You could get most of his story on google.

I give it a two. It says something that it's a short book, and I had to start it several times.....
Christopher
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Bruno is a fascinating character--rather out of his time--and the slow unraveling of his trial by the Inquisition is handled with admirable tact by Ingrid Rowland, and even a fair amount of suspense. Rowland isn't much of a prose stylist, but she does let Bruno's words ring through thanks to ample quotations from his huge and wonderfully bizarre body of work.
Tara
Oct 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: the-middle-ages
What a fascinating man. What a dull, dull, dreadfully dull book. I hope I can read something else about him one day, rather than flee at the mention of his name as I intend to do for some time to come.
Joe
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Great story of a great man but the writing was a little dry.
Stephie Williams
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Isn't all that good. To bad because Bruno had ahead of his times ideas. Althought he these ideas were not what one could call scientific. Compare his work to Galileo to get the picture.
Cory
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I've read a few different books on Bruno, and this one provided a perspective. This book is a must read for anyone interested in Giordano Bruno.
Joe
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A little dry, would have preferred more analysis/interpretation of Bruno's beliefs, but overall, a fascinating slice of history
Jeffrey Greggs
DNF. Decently written but more attractive books got in the way.
Lucy Gillis
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT!!!!

• The Magic Circle of Rudolf II: Alchemy and Astrology in Renaissance Prague
  • The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure
  • Cosmos, Chaos and the World to Come: The Ancient Roots of Apocalyptic Faith
  • A Splendor of Letters: The Permanence of Books in an Impermanent World
  • The Fellowship: Gilbert, Bacon, Harvey, Wren, Newton, and the Story of a Scentific Revolution
  • Occult Features of Anarchism: With Attention to the Conspiracy of Kings and the Conspiracy of the Peoples
  • The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion
  • Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • An Audience of One: Reclaiming Creativity for Its Own Sake
  • Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less
  • The Third Door: The Wild Quest to Uncover How the World's Most Successful People Launched Their Careers
  • The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
  • The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level
  • Courage: The Joy of Living Dangerously
  • The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick)
  • This Long Pursuit: Reflections of a Romantic Biographer
  • The AI Delusion
Ingrid Drake Rowland is a professor at the University of Notre Dame School of Architecture. She is a frequent contributor to The New York Review of Books. Based in Rome, Rowland writes about Italian art, architecture, history and many other topics for The New York Review of Books. She is the author of the books Giordano Bruno: Philospher/Heretic (Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 2008); The Place of the ...more