Start by marking “To Whatever End (Echoes of Imara, #1)” as Want to Read:
To Whatever End (Echoes of Imara, #1)

To Whatever End

(Echoes of Imara #1)

Veterans of a past war, Daro and Cecily left the politics and turmoil of their kingdom behind, making a home for themselves where they can live in peace. An unexpected attack fractures their quiet existence and although Cecily narrowly escapes with her life, Daro is taken captive. He awakens to a world where his captors exact complete control. Forced to wear a mask and giv ...more
Published December 18th 2014 by Mad Wizard Press (first published December 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about To Whatever End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Whatever End

Pauline Ross
This is an unusual book in a couple of ways. For one thing, the main protagonists are a happily married couple. When Daro is kidnapped, Cecily sets out to find and rescue him. No, no, that’s not the other unusual thing. Surely it’s not unusual for a woman to rescue a man?

The second unusual thing is that this story is set some years after a major upheaval in the kingdom. The old king was overthrown and his son and heir killed in a bloody war which Daro, Cecily and their friends helped to orchestr
Hollie
The blurb for this one sounded great, but it fell flat for me personally. I almost declared it a DNF on a couple of occasions but stuck it out. The storyline sounded original but I think my problem was that I didn't connect to any of the characters. Also, the plot seemed to drag at times. Very slow moving read. I am glad it was offered as a kindleunlimited though. I'd still give this writer another try.
Paul
To Whatever End by Claire Frank explores the underutilized relationship of a married couple in a fantasy book and it works really well. This book is not about two young lovers that meet each other during some fantastic quest but a slightly older couple that has been married for a few years. Because the reader knows that these lovers have an already established and strong relationship, we become much more invested in the story when something goes seriously wrong for one of the two.

Daro and Cecily
Lee Aarons
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Refreshingly familiar and disarmingly unique

To Whatever End is the sort of fantasy story that comes around rarely. One that can capture your attention with the idea of the familiar, but also surprise you with something very unique.

In Claire Frank's debut novel, the story of Cecily and Daro, two powerful weilders, is unique because the story begins with them already married, and the war of succession completed.
This story is about what can happen when the most important thing in the world has be
Kitvaria Sarene
Interesting heroic fantasy, that follows a woman who tries to find and rescue her abducted husband.

It is following a closed group of characters in one city, do it is not a big, epic book, but rather an was read with enough characters and magic abilities to keep the story interesting, but not overwhelming with tons of worldbuilding or lineages to follow.

The relationship between Cecily and Daro is well developed, and does not feel like "romantic fantasy" at all, but simply is as a normal part of t
J.R.
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Claire was kind enough to provide me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is one of the hardest reviews I've had to write so far.

The main reason for this is because it's excellent, but it's not the sort of fantasy that I'd typically read.

To Whatever End has a fantastic cover, great prose, superb editing and a solid and enjoyable story.

Despite this, I'm only giving it three stars. Why?

The premise is an interesting one, with the protagonists being a married couple who have settle
Kyra Halland
I really enjoyed this. I'm always interested in fantasy with a married couple as the main characters, and To Whatever End fit the bill nicely. Cecily and Daro are trying to live a quiet life after fighting in a revolution that put a new king on the throne, then Daro is kidnapped by a corrupt magician/scholar for nefarious purposes, and Cecily has to draw on the help of their former comrades-in-arms to find and rescue him.

There's a very cool magic system, which Cecily is quite adept at using, and
Dan
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely fantastic book. The characters are genuine, and the story is fascinating. I found myself unable to put the book down the more I read. The magic system is unique, and the characters, while walking the gray area at times, are easy to believe in and get behind. Even the villains are awesome and I found myself rooting for one in particular more than once.

A great book in a great world, and I can't wait to read more
Justin
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book with wonderful prose.

All the better when I was able to interview the author :)

Stephanie
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. I look forward to reading the next one in the series.
Amoron
Score: 3/5
Would recommend for: Readers looking for a new interpretation of the hero-saves-love interest-trope, readers looking for a powerful female main character.
Not recommended for: Readers expecting beautiful prose in their fantasy reads

I came across **To Whatever End** by *Claire Frank* in my Goodreads feed well over a year ago, and it has been on my TBR pile ever since. The book focuses on Cecily and Daro, two extremely capable war veterans who have previously fought to overthrow an incap
Kathleen A Harris
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read...Great start for a series...Now ready for Book 2

Thanks to KU, I find myself exploring outside my normal reading genre. When I came across this book I realized I was familiar with author so gave it a read. That being said, I did enjoy the book. While it was a slow start, I found myself intrigued and drawn into the storyline. When the book came to its end the main purpose had been met, although I found myself still questioning some things. I will be getting book 2 upon the return of thi
Richard
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
An interesting book and a clear start to a series. I wasn't so clear about the "normal" magic but over time the rest of the story grew on me.
Tnkw01
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rated it 3.5 but it was better than a 3 so it gets a 4. To Whatever End is what I would call a comfort read. It was easy to read, kept my interest, had nice, not great but nice characters, and a totally insane bad guy. I actually really enjoyed the read. I actually would consider continuing the series some time. Just don’t know when.
Randall Andrews
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked the world that was built. I thought though that some chapters just didn't move very much. I kept waiting for the story to progress and nothing was happening. Building characters is one thing, progressing the story is something else. Over all I enjoyed it and will read the rest of the series.
Annelien
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Lovely fantasystory. A bit classic but with enough twists to make it interesting and engaging. Many characters but i did really like all the main characters and wished the book were actually longer! Much potential there for a great series.
Alex
Jun 26, 2017
Maria
Feb 22, 2016
Tarerra
rated it did not like it
Sep 18, 2018
Feb 02, 2016
Fraslund
Oct 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Watersmeet (Twelve Baronies #1)
  • Seventh Night
  • Dragon's Debt (The Dragon and the Scholar #2)
  • Orlind (Draykon, #3)
  • The Nullification Engine (The Alchemancer #2)
  • From a Far Land (Jaben's Rift, #1)
  • The Fire Mages’ Daughter (Brightmoon, #5)
  • Ice Diaries
  • Treespeaker (Treespeaker #1)
  • The Duchess of the Shallows (The Grey City #1)
  • Grim Haven (Devilborn #1)
  • The Ritual (Theft and Sorcery, #1)
  • The Fairytale Curse (Magic's Return #1)
  • Blood of the Falcon (The Falcons Saga, #1)
  • The Healers' Road (The Balance Academy, #1)
Claire is a fantasy author whose debut novel, To Whatever End, released in December 2014. She's a lifelong fan of both fantasy and sci-fi and loves being able to contribute to the awesomeness of the genre.

She writes classical fantasy with character driven stories, action, suspense and a lot of emotion. She loves exploring themes of love, loss, heartbreak, loyalty and redemption and walking with a

Echoes of Imara (3 books)
  • An Altered Fate (Echoes of Imara, #2)
  • The Strength to Serve (Echoes of Imara, #3)