Start by marking “The Hero's Journey: Joseph Campbell on His Life & Work (Works)” as Want to Read:
The Hero's Journey: Joseph Campbell on His Life & Work (Works)

The Hero's Journey: Joseph Campbell on His Life & Work (Works)

The author of Hero With a Thousand Faces, The Masks of God series, and The Power of Myth here turns his powers of observation and analysis on his own life's journey and conveys the excitement of his life-long exploration of mythic traditions, which he called "the one great story of mankind." In conversations with poets, anthropologists, and philosophers, Campbell reflects ...more
cloth, 288 pages
Published August 27th 2003 by New World Library (first published May 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Hero's Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hero's Journey

Start your review of The Hero's Journey: Joseph Campbell on His Life & Work (Works)
Barnaby Thieme
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Having listened to dozens of hours of Campbell lectures in addition to reading several of his books, it's clear to me that Campbell is a much more effective speaker than writer. It may not be clear to audiences chiefly familiar with Campbell through the PBS series "The Power of Myth" but he is a prodigious scholar of immense learning and insight.

This book is a delightful and fascinating collection of interview excerpts strung together to tell his biography, illuminated with the occasional
Deirdre
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
There are some great bits in this but there is also some appallingly sexist moments.

He did some great work looking at the Hero's journey from the point of view of a man, and what he wrote was seminal, but he just didn't see stories that had women's journeys, maybe because they weren't recorded, maybe because, in the past, it was more important for a woman to remain at home and keep the next generation stable and continuing than go on a journey.

The biggest problem is that now, this is the
Claire McAlpine
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, mythology
Excerpts from interviews have Joseph Campbell in conversation with others inspired by him.
Read in preparation for a course I'm doing in 'spiritual phyto'essencing' based on the theme of the hero's journey.
Will follow up with The Hero with a Thousand Faces, his theory of the archetypal hero in ancient mythology.
Gay
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers
More inspiration for writers. Also Star Wars source. Note: I'm pretty sure Asimov's Foundation series was also a huge influence to GL.
Jessica Manuel
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joseph Campbell had a remarkable mind that is evident in every answer he gives in these conversations. I elaborate on this in the following article: https://bookoblivion.com/2019/10/21/j...
Jeffrey Howard
This book is largely a collection of transcribed interviews with Joseph Campbell. This is a benefit given that he is so much more affecting as a speaker than he is as a writer. He gets to the heart of the matter in spoken word while his writing can be a bit opaque and scholastic. This volume attempts to map out Campbells life according the monomyth, or hero's journey, formally dividing the chapters into each major step of the way: the call to adventure, the road of trials, etc. It was a clever ...more
Saiisha
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've been wanting to read this book for a long time, and I wasn't disappointed! True to Campbell's other works, the depth of discussion about various topics that his life's work was involved in - myth, mythologies, stories, roles, rituals, etc. was outstanding.

But the formatting of the book threw me - it's a collection of snippets of conversations between Campbell and the many poets and psychiatrists and even filmmakers who he inspired with his extensive work on the world's mythologies. I'm not
Laline Paull
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Included because I'm a writer, so I need to know everything I can about the meaning, the origin, the potential of story. I was about to say, 'and this is a seminal work', but I realised there is no female parallel. 'This is an ovate work'. Just doesn't work.

OK. It's a seminal work, but I'm not sure I like that phrase.
Nikki
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of interview with Campbell. Organized by the motif of the hero's journey. Reveals personal history of Campbell, as well as his attitude toward his experiences and his continual mythological understanding of all around him. Additionally, the epilogue contains a priceless tale.
Judith Ann Kohnen
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another good book I've read a couple of times. It names common structural elements found universally in myths, fairy tales, dreams, and movies. The author uses movies to defend his philosophy. A must in a writer's library.
Susan Reynolds
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I consider Joseph Cambelll one of my "spiritual fathers." I've read or watched everything he wrote or videotaped. ADORE.
Daniel Petra
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sooner or later all of us will have to face and go through our own :Hero' Journey" ... whether we like it or not! We may try to avoid it as long as we can. I did!
Stephen Huntley
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disjointed and self-congratulatory. Lots of fawning and name dropping. Rambling explanations and poor writing.
Melanie
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: myths-metaphors
I've just re-read this book for the umpteenth time - a real classic that would definitely be on my desert island list.
Richelle
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Read this in college. It was very inspiring to me at the time. Still is in many ways. The video series by Bill Moyers is fascinating as well.
Michaela
Jul 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf

Sexism can really kill a mood. I used to respect this guy somewhat, but if he couldn't shake the most basic of social constructs, after having clearly stated that he knew otherwise, then I can't help but to doubt the validity of all else he has interpreted. I'm not saying there's nothing of value in there. I'm saying that after a certain number of pages thinking surely they are done with this old-school sexist crap now, only to turn into yet another freaking page of the shite, I was disgusted

Mark
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good intro to Joseph. Now I need more
Sabeen
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Joseph Campell is darn good in making me understand Mythology. Fascinating, brilliant in comparative religion and comparing mythology. He is pure love.
John Fredrickson
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual, mythology
One has to love Campbell. This book informs about his personal life, not as a biography, but more about what has mattered to him in his own journey. The book consists of a lot of interview segments with a wide variety of interviewers.

I definitely enjoyed getting a sense for "the man behind the curtain", as it were, but overall the book felt a bit too meandering for me. I prefer his other books, which are much more focused.
Czarny Pies
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Campbell Fans
Shelves: criticism, mythology
I bought this extremely handsome volume at the Salvation Army for $4.00 which is slightly over priced. At $2.00 it would have been a true bargain.

The book is a compilation of transcripts of interviews done for a PBS documentary on Joseph Campbell that aired in 1988. In other words it is a gift item rather than a true book. As such, however, it is very well done. The photographs of Campbell taken at various stages in his life will please any Campbell. The selection of illustrations showing art
Brian Eshleman
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
So close, but yet so far. CS Lewis looks at myth and, by the grace of God, has his heart prepared for the Gospel by some of its patterns. Joseph Campbell is just as intrigued and perceptive but expresses himself throughout his post-Catholic life as an adversary of the Gospel's exclusive claims. As Elton Trueblood wrote, the same sun that softens the wax hardens the clay.

As much of this work takes place before the end of Joseph Campbell's life after he has experienced much acclaim for his
Ward Hammond
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
I was reading a recent Brain Pickings by Maria Popova email and she was discussing Joseph Campbell's 5 years of reading in a cabin in the woods. I remembered seeing him in a PBS special and even had a couple of books by or about him but this new really grabbed me. I wanted to know more about HIM. That's why I read this book. And it was wonderful. I feel validated. Follow your bliss, he says. I haven't always done that. But when I have, wow. Like now. For most of this decade, I have been reading, ...more
Angie
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has been recommended to me several times, mostly at writing conferences, so I was expecting something different. I was totally unprepared for the format. I listened to 9 hours of televised panel interviews with Joseph Campbell that were then transcribed into a book, which was then re-enacted by voice actors for the audio book. There are certainly beautiful, perfect little gems of wisdom throughout that I paused the audiobook to write down, but there’s also a lot of less useful ...more
Ryan Denson
This is a truly magnificent work that blends an overarching biographical format with a wide range insightful content. It is primarily a series of interview excerpts with Joseph Campbell and does a good job of maintaining a lively, conversational tone to the deep and meaningful topics being discussed. For those unfamiliar with Campbell's major works, this book will be useful as a powerful introduction to who he was and his ideas. It is an immensely enjoyable read that will teach the reader much ...more
Kendall
Companion to the movie The Hero's Journey: The World of Joseph Campbell. It's a collection of transcripts and outtakes from that movie. Interesting stuff. Overly intellectual at times- at least for me. If you haven't studied mythology- religion- philosophy- and if you don't know the works of the big people in these fields- you get lost sometimes.
Stan
This book is a series interview transcripts taken from Campbell's last lecture tour. A fascinating look at his work, his influences and general remininces. There is a lot of insight into the man and what influenced him. The book provides much food for thought, as well as providing a starting point for more exploration.
Halim
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Some great parallels in here between Campbell's life and the hero's journey. It's surprising to discover he got 4 years to himself to read day and night during the great depression. Makes one wonder how and how much it influenced who he came to be. Campbell has a piece of advice for the hero: "Learn a craft", "learn a job". And the depth of that simple statement is beautiful.
Ben
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have been fascinated with the concept of the "Monomyth" since I first learned about it over a decade ago. I saw this book in the library the other day, and thought it would be interesting to read about the man who was even more obsessed with our fictional heroes than I am.
Ali
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most interesting books I've ever read. I had to for a college course, and I occasionally think about some of the insight this book provides. It offers much more than just learning about the hero's journey as it relates to what you see in fiction.
Michael Haresign
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Campbell's analysis and will read much more by him, I just make sure to have reference books, and a computer near me to fully understand what he is referencing. I'm definitely boning up on my mythology because I'm now much more interested in the subject.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Brief History of Everything
  • Juliet's School of Possibilities: A Little Story about the Power of Priorities
  • Owning Your Own Shadow: Understanding the Dark Side of the Psyche
  • The Concise 48 Laws of Power
  • The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography
  • Game Changers: What Leaders, Innovators, and Mavericks Do to Win at Life
  • The Artist's Journey: The Wake of the Hero's Journey and the Lifelong Pursuit of Meaning
  • Women & Money: Owning the Power to Control Your Destiny
  • Frida Kahlo: The Paintings
  • Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning
  • Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community
  • The Meaning of It All: Thoughts of a Citizen-Scientist
  • The Raw Food Detox Diet: The Five-Step Plan for Vibrant Health and Maximum Weight Loss
  • Diet for a New America: How Your Food Choices Affect Your Health, Happiness and the Future of Life on Earth
  • Permanent Record
  • A Beautiful Constraint: How to Transform Your Limitations Into Advantages, and Why It's Everyone's Business
  • The Copywriter's Handbook: A Step-By-Step Guide to Writing Copy That Sells
  • The Official Guide To Success (Panther Books)
Joseph Campbell was an American author and teacher best known for his work in the field of comparative mythology. He was born in New York City in 1904, and from early childhood he became interested in mythology. He loved to read books about American Indian cultures, and frequently visited the American Museum of Natural History in New York, where he was fascinated by the museum's collection of ...more
“You enter the forest
at the darkest point,
where there is no path.

Where there is a way or path,
it is someone else's path.

You are not on your own path.

If you follow someone else's way,
you are not going to realize
your potential.”
277 likes
“Just as anyone who listens to the muse will hear, you can write out of your own intention or out of inspiration. There is such a thing. It comes up and talks. And those who have heard deeply the rhythms and hymns of the gods, can recite those hymns in such a way that the gods will be attracted.” 93 likes