Start by marking “Pebbles of Perception: How a Few Good Choices Make All The Difference” as Want to Read:
Pebbles of Perception: How a Few Good Choices Make All The Difference

Pebbles of Perception: How a Few Good Choices Make All The Difference

Why are we here?

Pebbles of Perception is an Invitation to:

Be Curious;
Build Character; and
Make Better Choices.
Published November 1st 2014

To ask other readers questions about Pebbles of Perception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pebbles of Perception

Start your review of Pebbles of Perception: How a Few Good Choices Make All The Difference
Evan
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you're a fan of Shane Parrish, Tim Ferriss, James Altucher, or similar authors/broadcasters, this book is for you. It's a short best-of from much larger volumes, like Charlie Munger's Almanack. While that means that much of Pebbles of Perception isn't new content, it's a great Cliff's Notes of some highly regarded work.

Pebbles closes with recommendations for seven specific books. If you've read them, you'll be familiar with much of Pebbles itself:

A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
Influence by Rober
Quang Nguyen
We all must have come across a story about a young, inexperienced man/woman who has suffered in life and therefore climbs to the top of a mountain to seek advice from THE wise man. And I'm quite certain we've all been through those moments when we were desperately in need of such wisdom. "Too soon old. Too late wise." Lucky for us all, we don't have to labor up any mountain to acquire it because many books exist for this very reason. Open Pebbles of Perception and we can touch wisdom.
Kevin Mackey
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I see this book as a perfect college graduation gift. I will encourage each of my kids to read it in due time. Great wisdom in short, simple chapters. Add this to the list of books I wish I'd read in my 20's.
Shrikant Patil
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read. Crisp summary of many good books mixed with personal reflections makes it a worthwhile read.
Munish
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great and quick read of things that matters in life. Definitely a good read 👍
Dilip Massand
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Snippets of wisdom from modern masters - Ray Dalio, Charlie Munger, etc...
Chris
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good, Quick Read

This is a Nicely written, short book on what is important in our lives. It is an easy read that anyone can take away some words to live by. I know I always need to remind myself what is important in my life and that winter never lasts forever, spring will make its way. Be grateful.
Steve
I really enjoyed this book. It is comprised of a number of small chapters with each having its own topic. I've heard a lot of the advice before, but found some interesting information.
Mike
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not so much a book as the authors notes on other books. 2 stars makes it seem like it is bad which it isn’t but if you have read the books he mentions then he has nothing new to add
Sunil
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable and easy to read. A lot of wisdom from many sources concentrated in one pancake. Wise head on young shoulders.
Anurag Dahal
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cool
Kristine
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wisdom for everyone

This is a book I'll give to my daughter to read when she's growing up. It contains advice that I wish I had been given, particularly with respect to perspective linked to your thinking and experience. I wonder though if it will go over her head and only be read and understood later on with some life experience on her shoulders. Nevertheless forewarned is forearmed!
Augustine Tan
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book should not be kept on your bookshelf. It should be by your desk or with you in your bag at all times. Its a great playbook on life. Because each chapter is so short and to the point, it is exceptionally easy to read. It makes it a fantastic time filler and a great tool for introspective moments. I found it so helpful I bought many copies to be given away to friends and will continue to do so in future.
Skew202
Aug 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
Worst kind of copypasta in a cheap amazon print on demand quality.
Reminds me of the Taleb vs Dobelli copyright dispute. Not a single original thought here. Reads like bad notes from someone who skipped too much pages in class b literatur like Arieli or Schwartz and for sure did not bother to read the real stuff from Kahneman.
Mike Kaput
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A handbook for living a good life

You can tell the author wrote this with the thought that he wish he knew it all 20-30 years earlier. It's short, powerful and dead right on so many important things. Don't make the same mistake: read it immediately.
Rohit
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Mostly insightful stuff.
Gaurav Singh Kopite
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
will have to read again to completely digest and chew on it
Fernando
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read to have the big picture about having a better understanding of how to make choice and behave.
MissBurmese
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To read it again and again in the future
Abhishek Dasani
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great short self help, treat this as an introduction to some deeper adventures
Hugo Ahlberg
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Packed with wisdom

Incredible little book packed with wisdom on a wide range of topics from decision making, career choice to having kids. Clearly written, no fluff.
Marcos Provenzano Cannabrava
I have a select few books in the category "a book I want my kids to read". This is one of them.
For those who like Charlie Munger, Scott Adams, Dale Carnegie, Life Lesson's books....
Chandra
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some of the best empirical advices for a better future.
Christopher Pair
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Straight forward and to the point. Reads more like a book summary than an actual book. Several familiar concepts, but likely something new for most people. Recommended read.
Avishek Agarwal
Beautiful collection of best ideas across genres and authors from multiple disciplines.
Nicholas Mills
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was recommended by Shane Parrish, the author of Farnam Street Blob. I typically pick up all the books he has recommended, and this particular book he suggested you keep on your nightstand and revisit it frequently; High praise for a book.

This was a good book. It offered a view of life view the lens of someone older. I come back and think about surrounding yourself with people who have different life experiences, and this is a good example of that. This was an interesting book to get a
Matt Doherty
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Quick read, pound for pound the most wisdom I've found in a single book. A self help book masked in humility and curiosity, highly recommend.
Trung Nguyen Dang
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book was inspired by "Poor Charlie's Almanack". The author tries to put his wisdom in various areas into the book. Pebbles of Perception covers a wide range of important life topics including: Lifelong Learning, Incentives, Fear, Adversity, Marriage, Negotiation, Friendship, Listening, Choosing a Career, Saving, Thinking and Kindness.
The first part was good. The second half was too broad and shallow. The coverage was too broad. Good read overall. I highlighted a lot in the first half.
Tirath
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
A brilliant concise book - about helping yourself become better.
It kinda compiles the great ideas of many great thinkers and delivers a sharp message.

But these messages should be pondered over, and not just glanced through.

What I did find missing was something about enjoying life and slowing down a bit.
A great gift and bedside aid.
Suhrob
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is literally nothing new in this book - it is things you know, are nice common sense with some base learnings decision theory, rationality, behavioural psychology.

Despite this I liked it - it is calm, friendly, humble. I liked also the chapter on relationships, family etc. - topics usually not covered in the quadrant of meme-space of value investing/mental models/rationality.

• The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts
  • Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don't Have All the Facts
  • The Wisdom of Life
  • Hyperfocus: How to Be More Productive in a World of Distraction
  • The Bed of Procrustes: Philosophical and Practical Aphorisms
  • The Outsiders: Eight Unconventional CEOs and Their Radically Rational Blueprint for Success
  • The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
  • The Model Thinker: What You Need to Know to Make Data Work for You
  • How to Connect with Nature

News & Interviews

“Being widely read is not the same as being well read.” 3 likes
“Absolutes are rare birds. We should choose assessments over assertions.” 1 likes