Start by marking “Lucky Seven” as Want to Read:
Lucky Seven

Lucky Seven

Dante Mathers, college student, fifth year, has a track record for being dishonest with himself, and is about to undergo the biggest, scariest change of his life.

Dante's forced himself to go out with girls in the past and he does it again when he's approached by the beautiful Serena one day on campus, desperate to prove to himself that he's "normal." But when he loses a dr
ebook, 1 edition, 203 pages
Published January 6th 2015 by Loose Id LLC

To ask other readers questions about Lucky Seven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky Seven

Leaundra
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was actually really good. It was about being your true self and first love. I don't want to really give a lot away, it's one of those stories that you should read for yourself.
Ayla
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-adult, arc
This was an overall sweet new adult book. Dante and Sven were getting to know themselves as well as each other and it was nice to see them come into their own throughout the book. Both MCs really grew from when we first met them to the end of the book.

I enjoyed parts of this book, especially the first third or so, however there were some things that were not completely believable. I do not want to spoil anything but while I appreciated the author being original with the storyline, I felt like s
Stella ╰☆╮╰☆╮
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-200-pages, strw
Dante Mathers + Sven

REVIEW @Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words

Lucky Seven was a lovely surprise. It’s an easy book to read, with low angst. I liked it a lot, even if usually I’m not a huge fan of YA/New Adult books because I honestly prefer to read about characters surer of themselves and their feelings without all that clumsiness we usually find in the younger ones.

I liked Dante and Sven story because it felt like a real one, full of fears and insecurity, and at the end I loved their courage. T
Truuss
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2018
Dante is keeping up appearance... going out with girls will convince his roommate Greg that he is... into girls..
He can appreciate girls but he doesn’t feel any attraction... not even for the nice girl with sunglasses and no voice because of a throat infection....
When he sees Sven with his bad boy attitude he knows he is attracted to him.
Sven has difficulties to approach people as himself and especially guys... so he found a solution...

A tentative journey about discovering all kinds of feelings
Ruthie Taylor
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
"I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads"

This is a sweet coming out story, with some angst, and a cleverly created world of confusion and uncertainty. It develops with both the lead characters, and at times is overwhelming in its chaos. But somehow it works and the reader cannot help but keep reading to see whether these two young men will work out how to be true to themselves. I enjoyed the naivety and the charm, as well as the interactions with family, and the r
Jilrene
I recommend this for when you want a light and satisfying story. Very sweet. Low angst.

ETA: see my review at Gay.Guy.Reading and Friends

I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Samantha
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-read, bmb-review
3.5 rounded down.

Review Now Available
DTM
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh yes...I really liked this...I love me some angst but not all the time...This one had a little angst but not too much and a lot of sweetness which was just right....I'm off to read Seeing Red....
Sarah Jones
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5* Lucky Seven is a sweet coming of age and coming out story focusing told from Dante’s POV. This is a low angst young adult story with an HEA.

I enjoyed reading this book, even though it took me a bit to get into. Dante seemed to be really rude and showed quite a bit of anger to anyone who was around him in the beginning. It turns out that he is actually just shy and isn’t really sure how to speak with new people or be around large groups. He has a difficult time acknowledging the sexual side
Ali
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked this book. Dante hasn’t been necessarily lying to himself but just tries not to think about his sexuality. He is drawn to Sven from their first meeting but finds they have more in common than he ever thought.

Both of these guys are hurting in different ways, Dante feeling like he should be normal and Sven trying to accept himself after being hurt by others before. I how afraid Dante was to go ahead with what he wanted but once h
Karen Edwards
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dante feels like his luck with girls has changed when he meets Serena, but then he meets Sven. Sven makes Dante question himself about some things he's been struggling with for a long time. Sven, typical bad-boy, but he has a few secrets of his own. There's a lot more going on in this story than one would think. I didn't really get drawn into this story until chapter 4, but from there on I was totally engaged. I totally enjoyed Dante and Sven's journey together. This book does touch a little bit ...more
T
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lucky Seven is by a new-to-me author and I really enjoyed it!

Dante has always struggled with his attraction towards guys and continues to date girls so that he's "normal". He meets a girl named Serena and thinks he might be on the right path until he meets Sven.

I thought this was a sweet romance about two young men coming to understand how to accept themselves. Although the book touches on bullying I would still consider it low angst and a very sweet, enjoyable read!

I received an Advanced Reader
Esther Alayeto
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great story of learning to be yourself and be comfortable with it regardless of what others think. Dante and Sven are both wonderful characters who are each struggling with their own issues. They are great together and truly help one another accept who they are as thy navigate through friendship and love. I really love these 2 characters and how they grow throughout the story as individuals and also as a couple. It's a sweet story that I recommend.
I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy
Tanya
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
2 young men unsure of admitting out loud they are gay. 2 very different reasons keep these men from telling anyone. To find each and learn to trust each other is what makes this book so amazing.

Sven is the boy you just want to protect and tell him it will all be okay while Dante is the one you want to say "just take a chance"
Sissy Spain
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sven and Dante meet in an unusual way, making both question their life choices. They were sweet together. There were spots in the book where I kind of drifted off. The writing is very good. There are many situations goimg on besides the love story. Bullying is one that sticks out. I would recommend this book to those who like a light read.
Sallyann
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great story. It is a sweet tale of accepting who you really are. Dante and Sven were so sweet together and because they both were so unsure about their sexuality it made they love story extra special and seem so realistic.
Heather Rawlins
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Lucky Seven. I will admit I was confused for the first few chapters, but I caught on quickly and totally enjoyed this very fast-paced story. Sven and Dante were both so sweet. I liked this story of discovery that the boys went on. I would totally recommend this YA book.
Angela Goodrich
Lucky Seven is a really sweet coming of age story. I adored both Dante and Sven’s characters and loved watching them both come into their own. Based upon the prologue and the comments of Dante’s roommate, it seems that Dante has spent most of his adolescence and young adulthood in an asexual manner. Well I’m not sure that asexual is the correct term as it’s not so much that Dante has no sexual feelings, but rather he refuses to consider them in fear of what he may learn about himself. Dante seem ...more
Lucy
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dante is pretty miserable, hiding himself and trying to be “normal”, without much success. A disastrous attempt at het sex with a sure thing makes him not only question himself but also hide himself even more.

At college, when he sees the so lovely coal-haired Serena (not that he gets her name), he’s smitten but of course, too insecure to talk to her. “What could a gem like her and a plain guy like me have in common?”, leading to “I’d lost my chance, but face it – I wouldn’t have taken it.”

Oddl
Jamie Deacon
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is all about the characters. Much as I enjoy a good mystery or adventure story, the fast pace and nail-biting tension, character driven novels will always occupy a special place in my heart. I love getting to know the protagonists inside-out, love uncovering their strengths and flaws, their secrets and darkest fears. Long before the heroes in this book become intimately involved, E.L. Esch takes the time to introduce them to the reader, and does it brilliantly.

Fifth year college studen
Donna
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, love-bytes
Our prologue begins eight years previous to the remainder of the book, with poor Dante’s first attempt at sex with a girl. Clearly, if his only thought is that her boobs remind him of a water mattress the experience is not working out so well. It ends in the girl storming out in a snit and with a mortified Dante who is in no hurry for a repeat performance.

Flash forward those eight years and we find Dante finishing up his last year in college. He’s rushing across campus to make it to a GLBTQ meet
Joyfully Jay
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

3 stars

There are a few things about Dante and Sven to like: Once they find each other, they support each other, accept each other, and are good for each other. A good portion of this story, however, left me struggling and frustrated. The book opens with a prologue where Dante is in bed with a girl and he is not aroused. He is mortified and his inner dialogue is this: “I couldn’t tell anyone about this….I definitely couldn’t tell my parents. Even if they weren’t mad–which t
Morgan  Skye
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Full Review http://thebloggergirls.com/2015/02/07...

This is a coming of age book and falls into that category of YA/New Adult/Contemporary and as such it’s a touch awkward, just like that time of life can be.
Parts of this book are very tender, sweet and endearing. Dante is confused about who he is and he is terribly worried about disappointing his family. (Which is ridiculous because they are flat out AWESOME and almost too good to be true!)
Sven has his own secrets and his own issues to work out
Monika
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: g-coming-of-age

Review also posted on http://www.wodfreview.com

What a sweet story, not saccharine sweet but an aww type of sweet. It’s a romance between a virgin trying to figure out if he’s gay, bi or straight. Dante’s had very little experience with girls and none with guys but something is niggling at him ever since he was given the book of man on man love. And dear Sven he feels more comfortable approaching other guys when he’s dressed as a woman unfortunately that gets him into trouble.

I was hooked from th
QUEERcentric Books
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Tams' Kelly for QUEERcentric Books

Lucky Seven by E.L. Esch is a love story about coming into your own as well as coming out to others.

Dante Mathers is a senior in college and more than his clothes are in the closet. Having to be careful around his best friend and roommate is a challenge for Dante. Being gay in a school surrounded by men isn’t a cakewalk.

Then one day on his way to an LGBT group meeting, he spies a female student who turns his head. But wait—he’s gay, right?

Read Tams'
melek
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was all sorts of sweetness. Dante 8 years ago had an awkward ordeal with a girl now still an virgin still thinking if he is gay or bi or not until he meet this women named Serena to him is the prettiest women he seen. But then he meets Sven which everyone calls him seven. Now he finds himself attracted to him. And sven has a secret will this affect anything. both guys has issue to overcome but together it is only the beginning.
Brandilyn
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015, mm
Reviewed for Prism Book alliance

When I finished Lucky Seven by EL Esch last night, I couldn't think what to say. Sometimes that is the sign of a poorly received book. However, in this case, I don't thing that is the issue. I simply am at a loss. There is a lot packed into the pages of this story. A lot that I am glad I read.

Modwena
Dante has never really felt attraction to anybody, especially not to women. He is caught off guard when he finds himself drawn to the beautiful and mysterious Serena. Until, that is, he meets Sven through a mutual friend. He soon realises that he is much more attracted to the beautiful young man. At it's heart, this is a story of self discovery and being open about who you are. The two MCs are shy and slightly unsure of themselves and each other for much of the book and it is lovely to see their ...more
Libbsmm
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’m in my 20s, a lover of books and art, and have a fascination for lizards and other small critters that borders on an obsession. Which is probably why I already own 3 and have to actively stop myself from getting more.

I began writing because I always loved the idea that words can create entire universes and characters from nothing but a blank page and an idea. Like one day you have an empty Word