Jump to ratings and reviews

Shores of Indian Lake #3

A Fine Year for Love

Her grandfather told her never to trust a Barzonni

Nothing gives Liz Crenshaw more delight than walking the hills of her family's winery and tending her precious vines. And nothing frustrates her more than Gabe Barzonni, the handsome, successful and utterly aggravating son of Indian Lake's most prominent farmers. All her instincts scream "avoid," especially when she finds out he's going into the wine business himself. But Liz can't seem to shake him. One minute, he's nosing around her property, the next he's arranging to escort her to her best friend's wedding. Well, too bad. Whatever he has designs on—her or her land—Gabe is out of luck. Now, to get him out of her mind…

Paperback

First published January 1, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Catherine Lanigan

68 books913 followers
Catherine Lanigan is the bestselling author of over thirty published titles in both fiction and non-fiction, including the novelizations of Romancing the Stone and The Jewel of the Nile, as well as over half a dozen anthologies, including “Chicken Soup for the Soul: Living your Dream”, “Chicken Soup for the Writer’s Soul”, “Chocolate for a Woman’s Heart”, Chocolate for a Woman’s Spirit”. Ms. Lanigan’s novels have been translated into over a dozen languages including German, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, Chinese, and Japanese. Ms. Lanigan’s novels are also available on audio-cassette, CD and on electronic format. A prolific writer, she is always writing wonderful stories. She has several titles only available in ebook format on Amazon.com Several of her titles have been chosen for The Literary Guild and Doubleday Book Clubs. Her novel, The Christmas Star, won the Gold Medal Award Top Pick from Romantic Times Magazine for December, 2002, and has also won Book of the Year Romance Gold Award from ForeWord Magazine as well as Book of the Year Romance from Reader’s Preference. In March, 2006 Divine Nudges: Tales of Angelic Intervention and the second in Lanigan’s Angel Watch series of books, was published by HCI, the Chicken Soup for the Soul publisher.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews
Profile Image for Lissy Peace.
69 reviews2 followers
January 30, 2015

This is a great story. Catherine showed the depth of passion it takes to build a vineyard and keep it producing all year long. Lead character Liz Crenshaw inherited land left by her father who had plans to build a great midwestern based label achieving global recognition. Unfortunately, her father and mother died in a horrible car accident when Liz was 9 years old. Her grandfather stepped in to take care of her from that point forward. Having built the land up to a producing vineyard for over 30 years, Liz learned from an early age the hard work and determination it took to keep the vineyard going. Now, her grandfather has left most of the decisions for the growth and planning of the vineyard to Liz.

Traveling overseas to France she learns from the best how to grow and produce a Champagne grape that would take to the midwestern conditions. While there she befriends a young woman who also wants to make a name for herself in the champagne industry and is the daughter of one of the premiere wine masters in France. Together they make bigs plans to begin growing the champagne grapes on the land Liz inherited from her father. When Liz returns from her trip, she discovers that he grandfather forgot to pay the tax bill and does not remember where he put the cashier's check. Liz struggling to keep her land from those who would want to buy it out from under her when the taxes become due, gets an unusual visitor on her property who is sizing up her soil. Little does she know that Gabe Barzonni has already made plans of his own to purchase the land adjacent to her farm and build up his own vineyard. The son of an Italian farmer, Gabe has been working the soil in the Midwest all his life. He, too, knows what it takes to successfully grow produce to make enough for a vintage. The two like minded people in this small town just can't stay away from each other and are kept together when they learn some long held secrets of both their families.
Profile Image for Lauren Seiberling.
652 reviews366 followers
June 13, 2015
I couldn't put it down!

I loved everything about this book, from the characters to the plot twists. The way Catherine described the scenery and surroundings of the characters was incredible...I felt like I could actually see what they were seeing!

Liz was very believable; the way she handled situations that were well out of her comfort zone as well as the major crisis she faced towards the end of the book were the way I think many people would act.

Gabe was interesting. Honestly, I wasn't too sure if I liked Gabe in the beginning or not. "Love" was not in his vocabulary. But, reading the process of Gabe's amendment to that philosophy was very touching to read.

This book was very well-written, and the story progressed very smoothly. I loved reading the interactions between Liz and Gabe, especially at the feed store!

This being my first "visit" to Indian Lake, I was introduced to many wonderful characters that I assume were in previous books. I briefly met one who will be featured in the next book in this series, and I can't wait to read it!!!

***I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***
Profile Image for Lauren Seiberling.
652 reviews366 followers
June 13, 2015
I couldn't put it down!
***I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***
Profile Image for Kate Vale.
Author 22 books75 followers
February 3, 2015
If you want to learn about running a winery, this book will give you a fine sip of the work involved. Liz Crenshaw is convinced her life's work is to help her grandfather create the best possible wine and perhaps even a champagne. But her grandfather's forgetfulness places their entire way of life in jeopardy when the tax bill isn't paid and no one can find the check.

To make matters even worse, farmer son Gabe Barzonni is found examining the soil on Liz's side of the boundary between her vines and her nearest neighbor. What is he doing and why is he doing it? Turns out he, too, wants to create a winery and get out from under his father's tyrannical thumb, but how can he do that when it means abandoning his mother?

The rest of the story focuses on the complicated interweaving of back story between the two families and how they influence how Liz and Gabe react to each other and what life has thrown their way. An ending, not entirely unexpected, but nicely done.
Profile Image for Kate Vale.
Author 22 books75 followers
January 27, 2015

Profile Image for Rula Sinara.
Author 26 books435 followers
July 20, 2016
With its beautiful vineyard setting and rich characters, Catherine delivers yet another wonderful love story in A Fine Year For Love. Both the tender secondary romance of unrequited love and the main story line tugged at my heartstrings. Liz and Gabe come from rival families and neither one can achieve their dream as top vintner without destroying the other, not to mention issues with trust, loss and family rivalry. Two people meant to be together. An impossible situation. A beautiful romance. Catherine Lanigan always delivers a keeper.
Profile Image for Nicholas.
146 reviews5 followers
March 24, 2015
Goodreads win. WIll read and review once received.

I really loved the setting in this book. A vineyard can be such a beautiful place. Also, I really enjoyed the characters in this book. They are brought a little something to the story to make it that much more enjoyable. This is definitely a book that will tug at your heartstrings. A good read.
Profile Image for Donna Foster.
734 reviews62 followers
June 6, 2015
I received this book free through Goodreads First Reads promotions in exchange for an honest review. This story delights in a clean read way.
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.