Start by marking “Shadow Study (Soulfinders, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow Study (Soulfinders, #1)

Shadow Study (Soulfinders #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  10,937 Ratings  ·  1,187 Reviews
Once, only her own life hung in the balance…

When Yelena was a poison taster, her life was simpler. She survived to become a vital part of the balance of power between rival countries Ixia and Sitia.

Now she uses her magic to keep the peace in both lands—and protect her relationship with Valek.

Suddenly, though, dissent is rising. And Valek’s job—and his life—are in danger.

As
Published March 1st 2015 by MIRA Ink (first published February 24th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Study, please sign up.
Rebecca Yes, it's set about six years after that. It's the same characters; the only difference is there's going to be three POVs instead of one: Yelena,…moreYes, it's set about six years after that. It's the same characters; the only difference is there's going to be three POVs instead of one: Yelena, Valek and Janco. (less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
It took me a long ass time to read this book, because I had to take my time to savor every single word. At one point, I considered DNFing it because I didn't want it to end. I'm weird. I know.

Poison Study is one of my favorite high fantasy of all time, but even I I have to admit, the second and third book sucked. I read them, and loved them, and rated them highly anyway because I absolutely adore the characters and the world. Valek and Yelena are my favorite couple of all time, if I had an OTP,
Katerina
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, assassins
How am I supposed to go on with my life after that ending??I'm pretty sure my squeals woke the dead (along with my not-particularly-happy parents)!!

Shadow Study was as tasty as a steaming mug of caramel flavored cappuccino with loads of sugar accompanied by chocolate brownies!It felt like going home after a rainy day and finding dry clothes,a warm fire and an even warmer smile by the person you love the most!I savored each word,I welcomed the endearing feeling of returning to a world so cherishe
Maria V. Snyder
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Of course I'm going to give my own book 5 stars! I recently listened to the audio book, which is narrated by the fabulously talented Gabra Zackman. Listening to a book is a different experience than reading it and I listen to all my books because it helps me be a better writer. I can hear the clunky dialogue and try to avoid it in future books - the rhythm and cadence of the words can sometimes sing and other times....jar. And the humor either hits the mark or not. I was laughing at something Ja ...more
Lizbeth Perez
*UPDATE #2*

From Maria V. Snyders Facebook:

"As promised, here are a few more details about the SHADOW STUDY - yes, it's a new book with Yelena and Valek (if you didn't know - where have you been?).

•It is tentatively scheduled to be released early January 2015 in the US, but I'm sure the UK and AU will be releasing the book very close to the US date.

•Yelena and Valek's POV will alternate chapters, starting with Yelena.

•There may be sections of Janco's POV (working that out with my editor)

•The reas
Helen
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wait.. WHAT?!!! HOLY BUTTERFLYING HORSES!!!

description

Just decided to reread this and I see three more, THREE, added to this series!
*cue deep breaths*

*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!*
Valek <3
Anne
I read (and liked) the Study books, but I never went any further with The Chronicles of Ixia and read the Glass stuff.
Maybe I should have.
Or maybe I should have at least re-read the original books with Yelena and Valek, because I was sort of lost during Shadow Study.
Having said that, I'm still feeling pretty generous about those 3 stars.
This story was just choppy and strangely written. I didn't mind the POV switches, but I did mind that only Yelena's POV was told in first person.
It was incr
 Soph - Lock&Key
This fantasy world is one that I have always loved...and always will love. It's lush history and beautiful setting, the simple yet exciting social structure and the wonderful mystical elements it possesses are something that I have always latched onto. I never wanted to say goodbye to this world, and now thanks to the Soulfinder series I don't have to.

I convinced myself that I could not wait to get my hands on a copy of this. I talked about it all the time, counted down the days and bought my c
Marie
Maria V. Snyder has been contracted for three more Study books!

*** Update 3/6/14 ***

• “It is tentatively scheduled to be released early January 2015...

Yelena and Valek's POV will alternate chapters, starting with Yelena. (There may be sections of Janco's POV.)

• The reason the book is titled, Shadow Study is because during Valek's chapters, there are a number of flashbacks to his past and the place where he learned how to be an assassin is called,
The School of Night and Shadows.
(The second of
Caitlin
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read, 4-stars
"We're stronger together."

Well, that was crazy. I'm so so glad that Maria decided to continue on with Valek and Yelena's story because I had not seen enough of them in only 3 books. I think this book was set up the best purely because of the alternating points of view. I loved that we still stayed with Yelena in first person, but we still got to see Janco and Valek's point of view too in third person. I'm really looking forward to seeing if more POVs are added - especially Leif and Ari because
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin (UK) Limited and NetGalley.)

First, apologies to Harlequin (UK) Limited that it took me so long to get around to this book! And now, the book, well, it was… slow.

I liked that we were back following Yelena in this book, and yay… Valek!! Lots, and lots of Valek! However, there wasn’t enough of Yelena and Valek together, which as it turns out, are the bits I like.

Anyway, the storyline in this remi
Fatimah Alfareed
THAT ENDING!!

I HAVE SO MANY FEELINGS !

Alright.. So, I wasn’t planning on picking up this book originally. The reason for that was, that to me, the ending of 'Fire Study' was more than satisfying as an end to the trilogy, and I was afraid that the rest wouldn’t be as good and that continuing on with the series would ruin my fondness for the original trilogy. The fact that there is another trilogy taking place between the end of 'Fire Study' and this book wasn’t helping either.

However, considerin
Johnzel Babijes
May 06, 2013 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
OMG. OMG. OMG. This is one of the books that I'm waiting for! *GASP* Like, seriously, I thought its only a trilogy but when I heard that there will be a fourth book, I almost fainted!

And
Katie
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found out that this was a thing last year in 2013, and I was so excited!

Then I saw this again today and I realized that this is 2014. The book is possibly coming out THIS YEAR!!!!

I just really hope it's as good as the first three! The Study Series is one of my favorites and I really don't want to be let down! Granted, I'll probably read all three anyway, but it would be nice if they were just as good as the others. Please don't let me down!

UPDATE

JANUARY 2015?!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

U
Christal

This is definitely a hard review for me to write because I loved Poison Study so so much. Shadow Study just did not have the same magic for me. It was slow and boring and hardly anything worthwhile happened in this book at all. The spark that Yelena and Valek had in the previous books was missing, probably because they were apart for the whole book. Yelena herself burned like a flame in the previous books, but here she was barely an ember. She's always been a bit brash and quick to act,
Kells Next Read
Run and Hide. That's so not my Style ~ Yelena

Me after reading this book: *WOW*...can't get enough:
 photo mindless_zpsbwxeqd54.gif

Maria V. Snyder has done it again. I loved even the smallest detail in this installation. My favorite OTP power couple was in ripping form and I could not get enough of them. Snyder sets the bar in how romances should be written. Our leads are strong and badasss, whilst still make you swoon and fangirl over there timeless love. Valek and Yelena is everything

Another thing that was refreshing about t
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
I am so happy Maria decided to write more in this world!! It felt like coming home. This was exactly what I needed and I loved every page! And crap now I need the next book so bad!
Chloe
Jan 26, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!
OH MY GOD!!!!
There are 3 more books of the Study series!!!
Is it possible to faint from joy??!!! Is it?!?!
I only read this series by borrowing books from the library but now I'm seriously considering to buy the series with my own money. Orrr beg my mom to buy it for my B-day present...hmm..
Anyway!! I am soooo glad!!
I hope this is about Yelena...heck, it's okay if it's about Valek or anyone!!!
But I'm hoping this series wouldn't turn out to be like the...you know...!!
The Maximum R
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
It has been a long time since I visited the world that Yelena and Valek live and I was super excited to jump right back into it. I remember the Study series being one of my first jumps into UF and loving it.

There is just something about a well written book with lovable characters. One that is action packed and has just the right amount of romance and magic that doesn't over power the story.

Even though it has been years since the last book was read, I was hopefully that I would be able to jump
Yoda
Oh, I dont know how I feel about this one. On one hand it was nice to be back in Ixia/Sitia on the other it felt like a prologue to the story, first few chapters. There was a lot of unrelated information that the story could live without. Somewhere deep inside I know that its needed for the story to feel complete etc. However my immediate reaction is to dislike this one a tiny fracture more than I expected.

But I cant wait for Night Study if I remember correctly I enjoyed that one a lot more.
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
I was terrified to read this book. Honest to god terrified. Because while I love the Study series with all my heart, I also loved the ending to what was originally the last book, Fire Study, and while I would never say no to another book with Yelena and Valek (after all I’m not crazy) there was always the chance it would disappoint. It didn’t help that I couldn’t get into the Glass series which is set in the same amazing world…

BUT I should not have worried! From the first page I was drawn in and
Sara Stickney
Jilly
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
You really need to have read the Study series and the Glass series to get what is going on in this book, but it is soooo worth it - even trudging through the Glass series.

Yelena and Valek are absolutely one of my favorite book couples. They are a great relief to some of the other book couples who are constantly fighting, questioning the other person, or acting jealous and petty. Yelena and Valek know they love each other, respect each other, and enjoy their time together. They miss each other wh
Paige  Bookdragon
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Study series and all badass YA Fantasy
description

OH MY GOSH. OH MY GOSH. THIS WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME!
Marga
Yaaay! Thank you, Netgalley!

I still have to read Fire Study, though. Or is it okay to skip that one before this? :)
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library

I received this book for free from HarlequinTeen Australia in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

SUMMARY
Yelena, Valek, Janco and the gang return in this fast-paced, action-oriented fantasy novel as Yelena struggles to find out what caused her magic to disappear and who is attempting to murder her, Valek deals with a cocky new assassin after his job, and Janco must find
Mei
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love the Study series, and even if this one is named Soulfinder, it is de facto the direct sequel of the Study series, since all the characters are present here! :)

I loved Yelena most in the first book: Poison Study, but I like her here too; a little bit less because she does some stupid things here, but they're forgivable because the circumstances permit some stupidity.
She's still a strong and intuitive woman, but here she often acts without thinking things through. She became impulsive.

But
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
Another of my absolute favourites, maybe even top 20.

I have been postponing this review for while, and i still don't have anything good. And that's because it doesn't compare to the book, and nothing short of perfect will do it justice. So ramble ahead

After so long, i decided to read this book, and that was my mistake. I had taken 1 or 2 years to wait, so what was a while longer. I didn't realize the third book didn't come out yet.

So i started reading, and just as i expected, perfect.

The story
Xena
Nov 13, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
PLEASE DO NOT KID WITH ME GOOD READS!! THIS BETTER BE REAL, OH MY GODS, OH MY GODS, OH MY GODS
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
Omg so it's true, there are three more books! Well, I can't say that I'm not excited, because I am, and because I really love the original three, but will they live up to my expectations? Yelena and Valek are my favouritest couple ever! I guess I'm excited?? But expectations...are hard to live up to sometimes.

update--16th Nov 2015 at 00:15am
loveeedddd this! missed this world so much!! Yelena, Valek, ari, Janco, everyone and everything!

more detailed review later!

U P D A T E - 11am 16th Nov 2015
YA Buddy Readers'...: Shadow Study by Maria V. Snyder - Restarting August 30th 2016 27 77 Aug 27, 2016 06:50AM
Study Buddies: * Shadow Study - Book 4! 33 272 Jan 22, 2016 07:27PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Shadow Study by Maria V. Snyder 2 16 Apr 19, 2015 06:15PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 9 Mar 19, 2015 06:45AM
The Not-So Austen...: Study #4 by Maria V. Snyder 1 26 Dec 27, 2013 08:53PM
  • Etched in Bone (The Others, #5)
  • Tempests and Slaughter (The Numair Chronicles, #1)
  • Raven Flight (Shadowfell, #2)
  • Public Enemies (Immortal Game, #2)
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin, #3)
  • The Sea King (Weathermages of Mystral, #2)
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
  • The Vanishing Throne (The Falconer, #2)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
  • The Visitor (Graveyard Queen, #4)
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Oblivion (Nevermore, #3)
  • Jeweled Fire (Elemental Blessings, #3)
  • Cast in Flight (Chronicles of Elantra, #12)
  • Empire of Shadows (Bhinian Empire, #2)
  • Shadow Scale (Seraphina, #2)
  • River of Dreams (Nine Kingdoms, #8)
When Maria V. Snyder was younger, she aspired to be a storm chaser in the American Midwest so she attended Pennsylvania State University and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology. Much to her chagrin, forecasting the weather wasn’t in her skill set so she spent a number of years as an environmental meteorologist, which is not exciting...at all. Bored at work and needing a creative out ...more
More about Maria V. Snyder

Soulfinders (3 books)
  • Night Study (Soulfinders, #2; Study, #5)
  • Dawn Study (Soulfinders, #3; Study, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Valek had learned the best way to distribute information was to classify it as secret.” 21 likes
“Yelena?”
“Hmm?”
“I’d like you to stay with me while we figure out how to unblock your magic. We’re stronger together.”
“All right.”
He laughed. “I thought I’d have more of a fight.”
“I’m too tired to argue.”
“Then I should take advantage of the situation.”
I cracked one eye open. “And?”
“I’d like you to stay with me forever.”
19 likes