Start by marking “Brentwood's Ward” as Want to Read:
Brentwood's Ward

Brentwood's Ward

(The Bow Street Runners #1)

Place an unpolished lawman named Nicholas Brentwood as guardian over a spoiled, pompous beauty named Emily Payne and what do you get? More trouble than Brentwood bargains for. She is determined to find a husband this season. He just wants the large fee her father will pay him to help his ailing sister. After a series of dire mishaps, both their desires are thwarted, but ea
Published January 1st 2015 by Shiloh Run Press

To ask other readers questions about Brentwood's Ward, please sign up.
Michelle Griep Actually there are 2 male POV's. . . the hero's (Brentwood) and the villain, though the villain's is only in there twice, I think. And personally, for…moreActually there are 2 male POV's. . . the hero's (Brentwood) and the villain, though the villain's is only in there twice, I think. And personally, for some odd reason, writing male POV comes more naturally for me, so you might give it a whirl.(less)

Jessica Wolf
I had low expectations when starting this. Like low, low expectations. After just reading a rather stale book, I was expecting another boring story where I wasn’t too emotionally invested.

Hot-digity-dang was I wrong.

I can barely even describe how much I love this novel. Not only can Michelle Griep write so well the world seems to fade away when you’re reading, but the characters are so dynamic and interesting it would be impossible to remain uninvested in the story. When she was writing this, I
Staci
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is my third Michelle Griep novel and my favorite thus far. I loved the relationship between lawman Nicholas Brentwood and socialite Emily Payne. Nicholas was a fabulous leading male..tough, kind, honorable and loving.
Marlene
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brentwood's Ward (2015, Barbour) by Michelle Griep is a Christian Regency romance novel with mystery/suspense set in London in 1807. This book is clean, but be aware that rape is an issue in the story. I wanted to read this book because I liked the cover, and because I really enjoy Regency romances with a ward trope. However, the heroine isn't a ward quite in the sense that I expected!

Rating: 5 stars

Heroine: Emily Payne is a woman with a mission. She wants to be independent of her father, and
Melissa
4.5 Thoroughly enjoyed. There was one bit I thought worked too neatly, and yet it still worked because I wouldn't have wanted to go through a mess at that late in the book. Lovely romance, constant tension, heroic hero. I just wish he didn't look so strange on the cover...
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
London, 1807

I really enjoyed Ms. Griep's book, The Captive Heart so I was excited to read this regency of hers. While it was enjoyable, I enjoyed her other book more. I wasn't feeling the romance, didn't quite see what Nicholas saw in Emily (she was pretty spoiled). Had a hard time keeping my interest. This may be a case of "its not you, its me." Still look forward to trying more of Ms. Griep's books.

Content
Romance: Pretty clean, just kissing
Language: None
Violence: Mild-Moderate. An attempted r
Rebecca
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nicholas Brentwood is a member of the elite Bow Street Runners; a highly trained law enforcement agency for hire, who does not make enough money risking his life for others to provide adequate care for his beloved, terminally ill sister. When offered a lucrative bodyguard position, he accepts; albeit with extreme caution after discovering that others have turned it down.

Emily Payne is beautiful, stubborn, and spoiled; and the fact that her father has hired a personal guard before leaving Englan
Brittany
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of regency novels, this is a book you will probably like.

Nicholas Brentwood is a fabulous character right from the beginning of the story and straight through to the end. I really enjoyed the way he handled Emily Payne at the beginning of the book as he dealt with all of her antics and snobbishness. And I loved watching the way his feelings changed for Emily as the story progressed.

Now, Emily Payne is a character that I flat out did not like at the beginning of the book. She app
Elizabeth Ludwig
Michelle Griep has never failed to deliver outstanding historical fiction. This latest offering went one step further than spectacular by adding an element of suspense that had me alternating between biting my nails and flipping pages! Excellent!!
Beth
Lady Emily knows her only means of supporting herself in life is to secure a wealthy husband, regardless of any personal faults such a man may have. When her father leaves unexpectedly on business, Nicholas Brentwood is hired by her father to watch over Emily during his absence. She is determined to find the perfect match to secure her future, and Nicholas simply wants the large payment her father has promised him for a job well-done in order to care properly for his sister who is direly ill. De ...more
Joleen
Andrea Boyd
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most well written books I have read in a long time. I really related to the hero, and spoiled females usually get on my nerves, but not in this case. The romance was not rushed and neither were the changes the characters went through. I can’t wait to read another by this author.
Debby "Piene Raven"
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors-g-h
Audiobook Review

This was a Christian Historical Romance that I thought was very good. The plot was good and and the story was well-written. It also had its share of mystery and twists and turns.

Nicholas Brentwood is a very astute, down-to-earth lawman...Bow Street Runner, who is put in an awkward situation due to personal reasons. He is given an opportunity to better his circumstances by becoming the guardian of a very spoiled Emily Payne. He eventually finds out why no one else wanted to take
✨ Kaira ✨
Plot - 4
Writing style - 4
Characters - 3.5
Romance - 4

In which a rich young girl is stuck with a handsome investigator who is bossy.

Plot - was intrigued for a second but grew tired of it later. A few boring moments here and there. However, I must say, the first 5 chapters will hook you.

Writing style - have no problem with the writing style, just with the turn of events and perhaps the monologues but no worries, I did find the dialogues a bit hilarous.

Characters - I like how the heroine absolute
Amber Stokes
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amber-s-kindle
Emily Payne is in need of protection - according to her father, anyway. Nicholas Brentwood is in need of money. It's dislike at first sight.

But as is one of the great lessons in fiction, people are much more complex than our first impressions allow, and their reasons for doing what they do often run deeper than what we assume. There's more than one side to Brentwood - and to Emily. But will both of them survive long enough to learn the true character of the other?

I so enjoy Michelle Griep's stor
Hannah
In this story, featuring a Bow Street Officer and a privileged young lady in Regency England, lives are at stake and fortunes come and go in the blink of an eye...
Emily is determined to marry the most eligible bachelor of the season and loves nothing more than her pug Alf and her wardrobe full of bonnets and hats. She's headstrong and impulsive, and her father cannot control her whims.
When Nicholas Brentwood is assigned as her temporary guardian, sparks are sure to fly.

I loved the fresh
Carrie Turansky
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michelle Griep skillfully weaves together drama, mystery, and romance in Brentwood's Ward. She brings Regency London to life for her readers. Those who enjoyed a Heart Decived will be deligted with this new story.
Andrea Cox
What started out as a fun adventure with a Sherlock Holmes sort of lead turned out to be a confused-toned flop for me. The mystery aspect was fantastic, so the Holmes-y quality carried my interest past the junk, but barely.

At times, the tone was light and cheery and fun, but often it shifted into a brash, tawdry, sultry thing that gave me the willies. Of course, the profanities, expletives, replacement expletives, and a derogatory term or two that showed up fairly regularly did nothing to help a
Abigail
Although this wasn't an all time favroite, this book was still good. I loved the action and suspense throughout the whole thing, it really kept you on your toes.

The main characters were easy to connect to. I really enjoyed getting to see Emily's character development throughout the story. We saw her go from this shallow, high class girl to someone who wasnt.

Even though there were parts that I didn't really like, this book still was an entertaining read that I finish in 3 hours.
Sarita
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
The only reason I picked up this book is because I received the second in the series free via netgalley, and being a bit OCD on series, had to read the first one before I tackled the second one.

I’m very glad I read this book and quite surprised I haven’t heard of Michelle Griep before now. The regency era is probably my favourite of historical fiction and when suspense (my favourite genre) is added in, this made for an enjoyable read. Even though some of the plot was predictable, the suspense a
Reet Champion
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily Payne has been left in the care of a man she has quickly grown to dislike. After her father leaves on an undisclosed business trip Emily is thrust into the care of Nicholas Brentwood. Stoic, secretive and quiet Emily just knows he's going to ruin her chances of snagging a wealthy husband. And if there's something she doesn't need it's someone to repel suitors. So ensues a messy season fraught with intrigue, death and witless suitors.

Michelle Griep receives rave reviews. I own a title by he
Amy
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I unsuccessfully applied to Netgalley for an ARC, & so it feels like it's been forever waiting for this book to be published! Got a copy from my local library in the 'new' books section & was so excited. This is the first of Michelle Griep's books I have read & I shall certainly be looking for more. This story, a good mix of romance, murder, abductions - mixed in with the latter part of London's Georgian social scene. Based around the 'Bow Street Runners' (the precursor to the London ...more
Salwa Smz
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It was so so entertaining. It is not like most other boring historical romance. There are many twists, suspense and mysteries. Mr. Brentwood is such an amazing character. A clever detective. brave, wise, kind and firm. The author lets you inside his genius brain while he is solving the mystery. I wish the author would turn this story to a series. I want to read more of Mr.Brentwood adventures .
Emily, the heroine is a strong headed young women , spoiled and silly sometime, but through the prob
Gretchen
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading The Captive Heart I was an immediate fan of Michelle Griep. I loved the hero in this book and it had some surprising twits. Unfortunately, I didn't find the female lead endearing. I know that part of the story was that she would have a character development/change, and she did, but I still ended the novel feeling like she didn't deserve the sweet and unselfish hero. As far as writing goes, Griep is still wonderful and I am still very excited about the sequel!
Jeanne Alfveby crea
I'd highly recommend Brentwood's Ward to anyone who enjoys romantic historical fiction. I really enjoyed this story that beautifully blends suspense, intrigue, and romance. From swoonworthy hero Nicholas Brentwood to spoiled Emily Payne, the twists and turns kept coming, and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride! The story also speaks subtly of faith, and family and what is truly important in life. It was especially interesting to learn about the Bow Street Runners in the authors notes at the end.
Tito
This book started off pretty slow, but got more interesting in the second half. What really made it great were the interactions between the main characters Emily and Nicholas, although Emily was incredibly annoying at first. Luckily she got better which is what I was hoping for anyways, and it was a cute regency that had a dash of adventure and mystery. An enjoyable 4 stars.
Anneliese Dalaba
Nicholas Brentwood is hired by Emily's father to protect her while he leaves for an extended period of time. Emily is above his station in life and he sees her as a spoiled rich girl. Emily wants nothing more than to find a husband this season, but feels confined with her bodyguard's rules and constant presence. Nicholas needs the job in order to save enough money to save his sister's life. Before long, Nicholas realizes what was supposed to be a simple guardianship soon develops into a dangerou ...more
Perrianne
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback-own
Nicholas Brentwood takes on a bodyguard position protecting spoiled rotten brat Emily. He only takes this job out of desperation for some cash flow. 1807 London is not a particularly charming place and this young lady tends to willfully disappear and put herself in all kinds of danger. There are plenty of plot twists and turns which take them from the shady, reeking dock areas to the fine upper crust of society. Emily has more enemies than she is even aware of and a family secret no one is aware ...more
Deborah Andreasen
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such an interesting read!

I loved this book. It was a little reminiscent of Sherlock Holmes with Brentwood's skills of deduction and observation. Emily was, indeed, a bit spoiled and self centered. But I feel like that was mostly because she didn't know any better. As her acquaintance with Nicholas deepens, so does she. The writing style is super fantastic. I was never bored! There were a few times that something very dramatic and awful happened, and it was sort of just skimmed over. Like, I know
Stephanie Howard
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book

This was a good book. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes Regency Romances. Very interesting to read about the Bow Street Runners.
Gwendolyn Gage
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicholas Brentwood doesn't earn enough as a Bow Street Runner to see his ill sister moved to the country and adequately cared for, so when the magistrate proposes a lucrative guard/detective assignment, he sets aside the knowledge that every other Runner has refused the assignment, and becomes the guardian of a willful young woman in the absence of her father.

Emily Payne intends to snag a husband this Season, but when her father departs England on short notice, leaving a lawman to protect her in
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 25, 2015 11:46AM
Christian Book Gi...: Brentwood's Ward by Michelle Griep ends February 6 1 9 Jan 29, 2015 07:41AM

• Wings of the Wind (Out from Egypt #3)
  • A Necessary Deception (The Daughters of Bainbridge House, #1)
  • Ransome's Crossing (The Ransome Trilogy, #2)
  • The Husband Campaign (The Master Matchmakers, #3)
  • Beyond All Dreams
  • A Heart's Rebellion (London Encounters, #2)
  • Walks Alone
  • The Captivating Lady Charlotte (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace, #2)
  • Like a Flower in Bloom
  • Elusive Hope (Escape to Paradise, #2)
  • While Love Stirs (The Gregory Sisters, #2)
  • Born of Persuasion (Price of Privilege, #1)
  • Undercover Bride (Undercover Ladies, #2)
  • Dawn at Emberwilde (Treasures of Surrey, #2)
  • Central Park Rendezvous
  • A Beauty So Rare (Belmont Mansion, #2)
  • A Lady of Esteem (Hawthorne House, #0.5)
  • A Most Peculiar Circumstance (Ladies of Distinction, #2)
I hear voices. Loud. Incessant. And very real. Which basically gives me two options: choke back massive amounts of Prozac or write fiction. I chose the latter. Way cheaper. I've been writing since I discovered blank wall space and Crayolas. I seek to glorify God in all that I write...except for that graffiti phase I went through as a teenager. Oops. Did I say that out loud?

The Bow Street Runners (3 books)
  • The Innkeeper's Daughter (The Bow Street Runners #2)
  • The Noble Guardian (The Bow Street Runners #3)
“No one escapes this life without scars . . . not even God.” 4 likes
“A person's character is most clearly seen not by what they show, but what they hide.” 3 likes