Start by marking “More Than This” as Want to Read:

More Than This

Sometimes what we have is not enough.

She doesn't know his name and he doesn't know hers, but they just might be perfect for each other. Alexander Velazquez, an ambitious lawyer from a working-class neighborhood, and Evelyn Sinclair, a daughter of privilege trying to make it on her own, are strangers living parallel yet very different lives. Alex finds himself deeply en
Published August 5th 2008 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about More Than This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than This

Chelsea
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
While clean sexually, still a lot of bad language. I just picked up this paperbook last second before I checked out some books for Isabel and was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Wasn't.

Warning, here come some spoilers...

Anyway, the whole thing is kind of "Serendipity"-esque (the movie) with the main characters always coming close to meeting, and never doing it until the last page...literally the last paragraph is them walking towards each other. It really bugged me because I enjoyed both of
Heather
I'll give it a better rating if the author writes a sequel. The whole book was a build-up to these two people meeting each other, and then the book ends. I don't like open endings!!!
Zulmara
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By Margo Candela

Reviewed by Zulmara Cline

Margo Candela has written a wonderful novel based on a parallel universe that truly shows her strength as a writer and her creative imagination. Not an easy plot scheme to achieve, writing in parallel universes requires careful planning and plotting so the reader is right there with you, seeing the connections that are created, but no spelled out. Living in both universes, yet keeping them both separat
Read In Colour
Margo Candela's Good-bye To All That is our featured book in March, but I wanted to check out some of her other work as well. It dawned on me after reading More Than This that this was the first time I've read a chick lit book that featured a Latino love interest. A lot of times, if it's a book about a woman of color, her love interest is a Caucasian male or male of her own ethnicity. This time around we're lucky enough to meet the handsome and well-spoken Alexander Velazquez, attorney-at-law.

Oc
Livin' la  Vida Latina
Reviewed by: Bela
Member of Livin' la vida Latina

Review: This whole book is written in the POV of Evelyn and Alexander--the two main characters or "lovers" in the plot. It is in the classic "He said, She said" format.

At first the story was kind of slow at capturing my interest, but then things gradually picked up when I started getting into Alex's character, especially when he is about to propose to his girlfriend (I was sure that this is something ALL guys go through at some point--the "what the
Anastasia
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008, fiction
Mary
One of the coolest things about being an author is knowing other authors. Not only do you find a sympathetic ear but you also get to read great books before everyone else. When Margo handed me an advanced reading copy, I was hooked from page one and neglected my husband that same night until I reached the end. Margo's novel, More Than This is about Alexander and Evelyn, two strangers for whom after just one look, experience that magical spark of attraction. More Than This is the story before the ...more
Alissa
Nov 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, 2008
Learned about this new book via a review and since it was a romance, threw it in for vacation reading.

It’s an interesting premise. Rich socialite Evelyn Sinclair, and laywer Alexander Velazquez live and work in San Francisco and have several close encounters but don’t actually meet. Instead they can see each other through their office windows, and occasionally on the street or the bus. The novel alternates their voices, and the ending really brings it all together.

Krisnow18
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Totally enjoyed this book. Began it Sunday afternoon, done it by Monday evening. I had to work Monday, after all! Two people are re-thinking their lives. A series of almost meetings. Parallel lives. They end up working in buildings located across the street from each other and notice each other. I loved the end when they finally meet.
Maria Papadopoulou
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I recently bought and finished this book. It deals with what is probably the most painful question for most of us: What if? What if I have said this? What if I have done that? It is hard to put that book down, because it is so easy to relate to each and every character presented in the book. Highly recommend it.
Jennie
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chic-lit, romance
This book was a really great snapshot of two lives- that almost intersect. It's a little bit romance novel, but mostly a character study of one rich girl trying to be like your everyday working person and one man trying to move from his roots to the heights of society. And their plans all change depending on family. I really enjoyed it.
Erin
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was the second book by Margo Candela I've read and she is becoming my new favorite author. I saw myself in Evelyn and my sister is so Tannin, minus the rich, socialite part. And I'm glad it ended the way it did. Any more and it might have ruined it for me. I highly recommend!
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I picked this one up a few years back, at just the right time. It was a random featured book at a bookstore and I was feeling low and needed some alone reading time. That being said, it was a great dose of chick lit and I've returned to it a few times in the past few years.
Tara Carpenter
Mar 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
An interesting idea, and good build up. This is a story about the promise of a relationship, not the relationship itself. A little bit disappointing that it doesn't go further in the end, but I can see how really it's better that way.
Tawni
Aug 04, 2009 rated it did not like it
COULD have been a great book. For me the language was completely foul and the open ending ruined it. I did like the main characters, and the author was on the right track. Great idea...poor execution.
Pandora
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Cute, easy read told in a unique way. Great for vacation or when you need something light between other books.
Corie
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a fun read! I liked the main characters and the way the story keeps leading up to what happens in the end. I did wish the book kept going instead of how it was left.
Monica
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you have ever wondered about a relationship with a stranger who caught your eye this is the book for you. I enjoyed each character who brought their own feel to the story.
Amanda
Apr 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting story and a quick read. I was drawn in and wanted to find out what happened, but thought the characters weren't fleshed out all that well.
Jessica
Feb 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2009
i had such high hopes for this story, and kept reading in hopes that it'd finally get good ... and when i finished, i thought "really? there had to be more than just this to the story!"
Akeiisa
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
An optimistic read. A little anticlimatic and predictable, still fun and a nice way to pass the time.
Patti
Apr 05, 2009 rated it liked it
I did not like the ending of the book - I would have liked the author to have at least had a chapter on the beginning of their life together.
Virginia
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Such an interesting premise...great romance.
Imene
Apr 30, 2016 added it
it was okey ; ihave wanted the two of them metting and dating , but we can not always have what we want
Nicole Falls
Jan 27, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5 really. Enjoyed this story a LOT. Unconventional way to tell a love story whih initially frustrated me until I saw the brilliance in telling it in this way...
Melissa
Sep 11, 2008 rated it liked it
I did like the writing style but I think this would have made a great play. I never quite connected with the characters. I was kind of disappointed by that. But it was great for a quick read.
Sandee
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
A good reminder why I generally don't read chicklit. Stereotypes all over the place, from the ruthless Latino lawyer with the heart of gold to the frivolous society girl.
Edith
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Awesome story about possibilities...
Shelly
Oct 24, 2008 rated it liked it
All I can say without giving it away is, bad ending-what the book was truly about didn't come until the last page. Too much reading for just that.
Nana Lee
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I was disappointed. The cover and the synopsis is really interesting. I was expecting something "more than this".
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Margo Candela is the author of five novels, The Brenda Diaries (SugarMissile, Oct. '11), Good-bye To All That (Touchstone, July '10), More Than This (Touchstone, Aug '08), Life Over Easy (Kensington, Oct '07), Underneath It All (Kensington, Jan '07).

Margo is currently working on her next novel as well as working on a three book Young Adult series.