Start by marking “Foreshadowed (The Near Deaths Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Foreshadowed (The Near Deaths Series Book 1)

Foreshadowed

(The Near Deaths)

Hope Murdoch was born dead. She took a breath two minutes later and now is an almost-normal sixteen-year-old. Normal: a hopeless crush on the boy next door, a negative body image, and a (mis)diagnosis of ADHD. Not-so-normal: an exhausting and distracting ability to read minds. High school is hard enough without hearing what everyone really thinks of you.

Lance Hampton
Published December 29th 2014 by 48fourteen (first published December 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Foreshadowed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foreshadowed

Start your review of Foreshadowed (The Near Deaths Series Book 1)
Susan's Reviews
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Started off well but failed to stay that way

I enjoyed the first few chapters but it got off track and I lost interest. I won't bother with the last 2 books.
Jeff Bailey
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Havent we all secretly wished we had the ability to read minds back when we were in high school? What could go wrong? Holly Campbells Foreshadowed is a young adult thriller based on that very ability. The characters were consistent and superb. I felt like I knew some of them in high school. The story was meticulous and a thriller slow burn that starts easy enough but slowly built until I couldnt put it down. I feel like I read the last twenty pages in seconds. I like Stephen King, Cujo, and ...more
Lyndsay Johnson
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A gripping debut.

I have been excited to read Holly Campbell's debut novel since I had the privilege of designing the cover. It was such an intriguing concept and premise for a novel. I was plunged into a well-plotted story of suspense and potential murder, hinging on the unique and endearing relationship of two darkly gifted teens. I admittedly stayed up WAY too late to finish this in one reading, and am eager for more. Left me guessing until the end...and still has me speculating. Excited for
Coco.V
Mar 15, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 The Near Deaths Series (3 book series) is FREE on Amazon today (3/15/2020)! 🎁
Roxanne Kade
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has it all. Sweet romance, teen angst, thrilling suspense, and even a touch of paranormal, with Hope and Lances abilities that are more of a curse than a gift.
Campbell has created characters who are fun and sassy, but also tortured. Theyre relatable and I really enjoyed every second in their company. So often, teen characters grate on my nerves because theyre quite obnoxious, but Hope and her friends were all really great characters. Well-rounded, grounded (for the most part)
Melonie
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I loved this book! Hope was born dead and the doctors brought her back. Lance was broght back
after a car accident which killed his parents. After these events Hope can read minds and Lance can
see death. Together they are trying to stop Hope's death among others. Loved it! Can't wait for the next one to pick up where this one left off!!!
Melissa Benscoter
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!!!!

I was really intrigued by the description of the book. Then once I started it, I couldn't put it down! Can't wait for the next one!
Mary
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put this one down. Well done by my friend Holly. It's fore sale on Amazon!
Dawn West

**Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for honest review.**

It's hard to concentrate on homework when you can read minds and see death...

Hope can hear everyone's thoughts. At first, she couldn't decipher other's thoughts from her own, which led to confusion and Hope earning an unfortunate reputation for being the "weird girl". The one person who opened up to her was her neighbor, Bryce, but even he avoided her when his friends were near. So Hope did her best to
Bee
Quite The Novel Idea ~ Words from the Clouds

Well then. I'm not entirely sure what to say right now. This book had a lot of potential, honestly. The whole premise is interesting and pretty cool and not something I've seen that much in YA so far. But unfortunately it focused too much on the wrong things, which stopped me from enjoying it fully. And that always makes me sad. Because it could have been so great. But it just wasn't.

I'll start on a positive note though. As I said, the premise
E. Ardell
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a teen services librarian and I run a teen book group. Foreshadowed is the book the kids voted to read for June. I was glad they chose it, because I have to read the books too, and I do not favor the months when they choose boring things.

**Spoilers after this point**

Foreshadowed is not boring. It is quite the opposite. From the start, I am amused by Hope and mean girl Tina. I love the dodge ball scene and how she's able to achieve victory... by cheating. (Mind readers are awesome!)

I had
C.K. Brooke
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Foreshadowed is the latest 48fourteen novel by new author Holly M. Campbell, and is the best teen paranormal thriller Ive read in a long time. Its well-written, equally dark as it is funny, with a truly brilliant premise and a unique and interesting narrator.

The story centers around Hope, a high school junior who can read minds. This aspect of the story is well-done; the reader quickly understands both the downside and perks of Hopes ability, and can empathize with her being considered a social
Kizmet
I love, Love, LOVE this book!!!! I can't wait until the next book the in this series, Forewarned which is coming out soon. I hope! I love Hope and Lance. There interactions and the overall play of this world is something that is easy to connect to and you can't help but enjoy it. Actually... There really isn't anyone in this world that I didn't like. Even the bully... huh, who knew? *shrugs* I am also amazed how often I laughed in this book, so many lol moments! But at the same time it's still ...more
Angela
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hope is an outcast who reads minds minds, and has a thing for the boy-next-door. Think Wednesday Adams meets ADHD and you get a pretty good idea of what she's about. She's content enough with her life, but when brooding Lance moves into town, her world is turned upside-down. When their eyes meet, Hope sees a vision of her murder in his thoughts, and discovers she's not the only one with psychic abilities. With a little enthusiastic persuasion, Lance becomes a reluctant partner in solving the ...more
Heather McKeon
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my 'book written by an author with my same initials' for my reading challenge - and although technically her initials are HMC whereas mine are HCM, I'm counting it! Cause the initials are the same letters, and that's what I decided counts. My friend Rachel recommended this book because the author is a friend of hers, and I'm glad she did! I really enjoyed it. It was kind of dark and creepy, but also interesting and unique in the paranormal/fantasy YA genre. Plus it's the first book in a ...more
Shalon Brooks
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good fast paced story

I really enjoyed this story. Two square pegs finding each other and learning to work together to try to change things for the better. Hope can read minds and Lance can see visions of how people die. When they get together they help each other to use their gifts to save people. The characters were all very genuine, very well developed. The romance part with Lance and Hope is sweet but not over powering. Good book. I look forward to the next.
Jaimie
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really neat book! Grabbed my attention right away and held it. Interesting premise, although I don't necessarily read many books in this genre. Especially impressed with how well the author could capture the thoughts and characteristics of such a diverse group on characters... teen girls, stay-at-home moms, dads, teen boys, working moms, etc.
Coryann
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was impressed with Foreshadowed. I loved reading about a story set in my hometown in Washington state. the author does an excellent job of crafting such a unique story that immediately gets the reader hooked. I can't wait to read the second - definitely well written!
Conny
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-books
Loved it !!
Saige
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg i LOVED this book. I also got to meet the author and get it signed!!!
C.L. Norman
SCHY
Aug 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Authors...: New release! 1 10 Dec 30, 2014 08:32PM

• Rescuing Lord Inglewood (Inglewood #1)
  • Sweet On You
  • Oscar Wilde, His Life and Confessions, Vol 1
  • Doctor-Patient Confidentiality: Volume One (Confidential #1)
  • 3 Bosses' Assistant (Love by Numbers, #2)
  • Boss of my Panties
  • HIS PRINCESS (Erotic Taboo Explicit Stories Box Set Collection)
  • The Gettysburg Address: Perspectives on Lincolns Greatest Speech
  • The Writing Desk
  • From Failure to Promise: - "360 Degrees" -
  • Professor with Benefits (Blackwell After Dark #1)
  • Ten Night Stand
  • The Constitution and the Declaration of Independence: A Pocket Constitution
  • The Scottish Billionaires and the Bookaholic
  • Six Single Dads' Nanny (Love by Numbers, #5)
  • Lady in Waiting: Becoming God's Best While Waiting for Mr. Right
  • Running After a Heartbreaker (Brides on the Run, #4)
  • Hard Silence (Agents Undercover #2)
Holly M. Campbell started writing at a young age. She majored in English at Brigham Young University-Idaho. She's married with two kids, and lives in Washington state.

Foreshadowed is her first published novel.

The Near Deaths (2 books)
  • Forewarned (The Near Deaths, #2)