Start by marking “ADHD - Living without Brakes” as Want to Read:
ADHD - Living without Brakes

ADHD - Living without Brakes

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Now in paperback, this concise and highly accessible book contains everything that parents and busy professionals need to know about ADHD.

The author describes the spectrum of ADHD, the co-occurring symptoms, and common difficulties that parents face. The rest of the book focuses on solutions, based around four rules. Rule number one is keeping it positive: punishments can
Published February 15th 2008 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about ADHD - Living without Brakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ADHD - Living without Brakes

Nikki
Sep 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Clear and concise! This book would be best described as the CliffsNotes version of ADHD for Dummies! This is ADHD packed into 130 pages and broken down into a format that anyone can understand.

As a mother of a child with ADHD, even having an extensive medical background, I struggle daily to understand just what is going on in the mind of my child. I've read the medical journals, the psychological summaries, even attended conferences, but still walked away wondering what was TRULY going on in my
Debbie
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a good book if you want a bit of perspective on ADHD. It is written by a doctor whose specialty is ADHD and attempts to break down the causes, symptoms, treatments and medications in under 200 pages. If you have a child with ADHD, it is always better to have a short book to get through!!!
Rebeccameder
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: syndromes
One of the best books on ADHD I've read so far. It's simple, straightforward, does not lay you with a big guilt trip, up to date, and gives good analogies. Also has a summary at the back that can be given to people who aren't willing to read anything more extensive.
Lynsie
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by my sister. It's the first ADHD book I have read because I've recently been diagnosed with ADHD. While this is written for parents, it gave me HUGE insight into the workings of my brain. Kutscher discusses the other conditions that may be associated and/or confused with ADHD.

This is written by a Pediatric Neurologist who lends his expertise and also condensed a plethora of research into a concise format (the book is short)--especially helpful for ADHDers. I unde
Lara Daniel
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an Amazing read and highly effective for the daily interaction with my daughter. I would HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone dealing with a child who has ADHD, it truly has changed my life as a parent:)!!
Velvetink
May 25, 2015 is currently reading it
Shelves: psychology, self-help
library genesis
Ali Ko
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastyczna książka - elementarz i niezbędnik dla rodziców i nauczycieli - polecam. Prosto i przystępnie wyjaśniono jakie są podłoża ADHD, jak rozpoznać to zaburzenie i jak pracować z dzieckiem. Książka konieczna w biblioteczce, jeśli ma się kontakt z dziećmi z ADHD.
Marilee
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a good and quick summary of the various issues related to ADHD, including a good explanation of the overall executive function issues. It also had some good recommendations for parenting a child with ADHD and how to tackle some of the common struggles.
Momreadstoomuch
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book for parents with a kid with ADHD
Jenn
Jan 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Very informative about how the brain works.... but also very based on an older child being diagnosed after behavioral issues have arisen.... still a good rescource though...
Tinafb
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, easy, and informative read. Very sympathetic to those with ADHD and a helpful resource for those of us trying to understand what makes them tick.
Nancy Herrera
Nov 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Taking Charge of Adult ADHD
  • Forgiveness And Other Acts Of Love
  • Creative People Must Be Stopped: 6 Ways We Kill Innovation (Without Even Trying)
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • Jumpstart Your Creativity: 10 Jolts to Get Creative and Stay Creative (Jumpstart Series)
  • Repacking Your Bags: Lighten Your Load for the Rest of Your Life
  • ADHD and Me: What I Learned from Lighting Fires at the Dinner Table
  • Queen of Distraction: How Women with ADHD Can Conquer Chaos, Find Focus, and Get It All Done
  • Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome
  • Neurodiversity: Discovering the Extraordinary Gifts of Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Brain Differences
  • Make Art Make Money: Lessons from Jim Henson on Fueling Your Creative Career
  • Universal Traveler
  • Fast Minds: How to Thrive If You Have ADHD (Or Think You Might)
  • Methods of Persuasion: How to Use Psychology to Influence Human Behavior
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • The Art of Mental Training - A Guide to Performance Excellence
  • SOS: Help for Parents
  • The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents

“Forgive your child and yourself nightly. You didn't ask to live with the effects of ADHD any more than did your child.” 10 likes
“This is not a contest with your child. The winner is not the one with more points. The winner is the one whose child still loves them when they graduate from high school.” 1 likes