Start by marking “Rift (Rift Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rift (Rift Saga, #1)

Rift

(Rift Saga #1)

RIFT - The new dystopian trilogy book 1 from the author of the Exodus Trilogy.

The RIFT Saga begins here.

In the ruins of what was once North America lays the Covenant, a nation forged by the iron will of the Moon people, who descended from their dusty refuge on the Moon after the Fall. The Moon people are wealthy, ruled by a strong government who protects its citizens from
Published December 29th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Rift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rift

Jenny Clark
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Though a short read. very action packed. The prose was not overly flowery, and did a good job of sweeping me up. There is a series that actually comes before this, and I would suggest reading that first, since there is not much in the way of history in this one.

Bliss is ignorance.

A freebee on Kindle.
Libby
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I got this as a freebie for my E-Reader and didn't have high expectations. Well, I'm very glad to tell you what a pleasant surprise I got from this very readable story. It us set in a far future after a worldwide disaster now hundreds of years in our characters' past. The Moon People descended, gathered together the scraps of humanity remaining and created a society based on service to the state, saving civilization. This is what our heroes have been raised to believe, and as the narrative begin ...more
RuthAnn
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: adulthood
This was surprisingly good. Some issues with unbelievable puppet master, why did he choose main character out of anyone in the world type stuff, but overall very good.
Gillian Murrell
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars Divergent meets Hunger Games. This was a good story I loved how it swapped protagonists all the time. The characters were interesting and very easy to get invested in. Who are these Moon people and how is it they get to live such long lives while humans are given euthanasia as a 50th birthday present, if they manage live that long. The chance of a career and becoming a citizen is like playing Russian roulette where only one chamber is not loaded with a bullet.
Elizabeth
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was just ok to me. It just didn't hold my interest as the same with the characters.
Darsie
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To be chosen or not? That is the question at the start of this story.

If you are selected, you have a chance at a better life for you and your family in the future. Although first, you must serve and that service may literally be the death of you.

Yet the alternative to service is worse; a life of drudgery, ending in forced euthanasia when you turn 50.

But things are not as they seem. What we go on to discover about this society through the POV of three protagonists, unveils a conspiracy that ha
Abby
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
This novel isn't bad at all. Which I realize isn't exactly a glowing review, but I mean it in the sense that it has good bones. It has a great base as a slightly post apocalyptic novel without it having the cliche doom and gloom drama, but follows several different characters well. There's decent character development that I hope will continue with the series. What I liked about it was the fact that it didn't drag on and on. It got to the point with enough detail that it read like a YA novel wit ...more
Sharman Badgett-Young
A Post-Apocalyptic Story of Survival

This tale follows the lives of three people caught up in a futuristic nightmare. Parts of its inventive future were believable (within the story's reality) while others didn't quite work. There was a sense of adventure and suspense, but the main characters discovered the self-serving secrets of their oppressors far too easily, though these secrets had supposedly been kept hidden for a very long time. The science behind the ways control was exerted over the opp
Sophia
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, 4-stars, e-book, sci-fi
Rift by Andreas Christensen
Series: Rift Saga, #1

This was a pretty good book, especially for a free ebook. It reminded me a little of The Hunger Games and Divergent. The characters were great, but there were some parts that were unexplained - like why some people get chosen for service or not - but overall it was good. The rest of the series is definitely going to on my to-read shelf. I'd recommend it to fans of The Hunger Games or Divergent, or to anyone who'd like a relatively short, but intere
Aubry
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the premise of the story but it took me a long time to get it read. I didn't really get into the book until about the last quarter of the book. I kept reading other things beside this. So my rating would probably be more like 2.5 because though the synopsis caught my attention the book itself failed to until the end.
Rachel
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This had some fun characters and an intriguing setting (social set up?) The selection and the class system were reminiscent of Hunger Games, but not so much so that it felt derivative.

There wasn't as much closure in the ending as I'd like, but it managed enough of an ending to keep from enraging me. I may or may not read more.
Tom Reade
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Action and thought

While there are similarities to how this society is set up, to others in this genre (Logan's Run/Convergence)--this is an engaging read. Very well drawn characters and lots of action. Some thoughtful questions are raised.

I enjoyed reading this, and will look for the sequel.
a u d r e y ♥
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is perfect for a hunger games/divergent fan. it has the same vibe, same character appeal, and essentially the same story line. just tweaked slightly. This is one book I may consider buying the sequels too. I rather enjoyed the 8 hours I spent reading the book. it's a perfect, mindless, quick and fun read.
Leif Dolan
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
New Hero's

When you don't know the truth about your world 🌎, and then one day your eyes are opened to the truth. What do you do? Who can you trust? This is a story along the same lines of future history. How was the world changed and how do you repair it? We have a strong Hero in Sue Atlas. Can she shoulder the weight of the world?
Dan Wilde
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story

This is a fun story. I'm a little bothered by the editing. Being an author myself, I understand the near impossibility of removing all typos, especially on the first or second edition of a book; but this story has at least four instances of tense change (past to present) that shouldn't be there. Otherwise, a great story, well worth reading!
Audra
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book for post apocalyptic fans!

I would recommend this book to any one who enjoys post apocalyptic stories. The story is interesting in that the end of the world destruction is not zombies or a virus, but humans are their weaknesses. I liked the concept of the Moon people and how the story unfolds. Enjoyable book that kept me turning the pages.
bethenie morgan
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must reaf

This book is incredible. It is well written and you really get a sense for the characters. I could not out this down and cannot wait to start on the other three. As an avid reader I must say that the writer has done this story justice and there is not a single thing that I would want changed. A++++
Richard Howard
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I started by thinking this was 'Hunger Games' meets 'Divergent' but though not as good as the former it's certainly better thought out and more interesting than the latter. I liked the way focus shifted between protagonists and I was intrigued enough to want to read the next volume.
Ann Thomas
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting world, and I enjoyed the gradual reveal of the truth about the Covenant. The switch between the different areas was sometimes a bit confusing and I found the characters rather shallow. Overall a good read.
Roy Hayward
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great store. With characters so compelling they feel real.

Wow. This was a great read.

Building a rich world on the ashes of today. And making a story that is fresh and so exciting that I couldn't stop reading.
Angel Graham
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star-books
I don''t know. Nothing about the book made me think it took place in what was once North Amercia, I kept thinking it was taking place on the moon, since there was so much talk about Moon People.

Sue was an alright character most of the time. David. I don't know. Mark. I don't like.
Perla Gómez
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Not perfectly written but very engaging. A nice fast read. Definitely will continue to part two of this saga. SPOILER: can we talk about the similarities to a black mirror episode? The book was written before the show aired but the idea of the soldiers goggles in both are too similar.
Louis
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent future history

What will happen to us after the next worldwide disaster? We have no coordinated rescue plans. All the bomb shelters were closed years ago. This book gives one scenario. I was surprised as events unfolded. You will not be able to put this book down!
Mariam
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it.After finishing The Hunger Games and really loving that series I thought I will never find another book or books just as good but Rift was an Amazing read.I totally recommend this to Hunger Games fans.👍🏻 Five Stars!
Barbara Austin
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The world has to change

I gave 5 stars because I love to read end of the world give it all or loss it all. I will continue to read the story. Keep it going, you have a fan. Thanks for a great story.
Bethany Lee
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Storytelling that Propels You Forward

I really liked this book and very much look forward to reading the sequel. Like my subtitle says, the storytelling in this book kept me reading and wanting to find out what happens next.
A. Powers
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
While battle scenes and political setup seemed a bit drawn out at times, I found myself enjoying this book overall. I liked the two main characters and it was fun to see how their stories related and eventually came together without too much overlap.
Diana
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite enjoyed this take on dystopian even though there were elements in it that were not original. The characters are interesting and I found myself curious about a few of them. I'll watch for the second book at the library or in a sale.
Emmaa22
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very much in the line of the Hunger Games, but well done with engaging story-telling and characters. The story draws you in and pulls you along.
J.S. Rowan
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read.

It was a engaging read. I hope the next book is a little longer. This one was over too quickly.

• The Lead Cloak (The Lattice Trilogy, #1)
  • Prototype D (Prototype D #1)
  • HADRON Dark Matter (HADRON, #1)
  • The Change (The Bachelor Battles, #1)
  • Genesis Code (Genesis, #1)
  • First Conquest (Stellar Conquest, #1)
  • Generation (Shadows of the Void, #1)
  • Earthrise (Her Instruments, #1)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2016: People of Colo(u)r Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue (Lightspeed Magazine, Issue #73)
  • Quantum Tangle (Sethran Kada, #1)
  • Adrian's War (A Distant Eden, #2)
  • First Strike (The Kurgan War, #1)
  • The Forever Gate Compendium Edition (The Forever Gate #1-5)
  • What Your Childhood Memories Say about You . . . and What You Can Do about It
  • Remains of Urth: The Arena (Book 1)
  • Excelsior (New Frontiers Trilogy, #1)
  • First Contact (In Her Name: The Last War, #1)
  • Heretic (The Singularity Series, #1)
Andreas Christensen is a Norwegian science fiction and fantasy author. His most recently published work is Legion Rising, the second installment of his Legionnaire Series.

His popular series the Exodus Trilogy received rave reviews in both the U.S. and the U.K. and has been compared to classics such as Heinlein and Asimov. The Rift Saga is set approximately two centuries after the events of Exodus,

Rift Saga (3 books)
  • Covenant (Rift Saga, #2)
  • Legacy (Rift Saga, #3)
“Initiation Day. The day she had always known would come was here at last. In less than two hours, she would be standing in the town square, among the young men and women of Charlestown, many of whom she had known since childhood.” 0 likes