Start by marking “Water So Deep (Water So Deep, #1)” as Want to Read:
Water So Deep (Water So Deep, #1)

Water So Deep

(Water So Deep #1)

Seventeen-year-old Emma Harris is drowning on dry land.

No one knows what’s happening to her, and she’d like to keep her evolution from human to mermaid a secret, but the truth is getting harder and harder to hide. From her adoptive family, from her friends, and especially from the irresistible James Phelps.

Her time in the ocean is spent dodging a possessive merman, while h
Published February 2nd 2015 by Jelly Bean Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Water So Deep, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amanda According to the author's facebook, The answer is a resounding yes.

Start your review of Water So Deep (Water So Deep, #1)
Sarah Elizabeth
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Jelly Bean Press and NetGalley.)

“Love. We’re bound by love. I love him.”

This was an okay story, but it felt like it took forever to really get going!

I liked Emma and James, but I felt like Emma should maybe have made a bit more of an effort to find a way out of the situation she was in. It seemed like her only response was to ignore things, which really didn’t help.

“Fifteen moon cycles left.”
Emma
RaShelle Workman
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love is hard even under the best circumstances. For high school senior Emma Harris it's worse because she's changing into a mermaid, not to mention the fact that she's promised to a merman she doesn't know.

This current day mermaid story is sweet, full of angst, and alive with blooming love.

Stephanie (Bookfever)
I'm not rating Water So Deep because it's a DNF for me.

I really tried but I couldn't get into this book. I must admit that even though I'm fascinated by mermaids, books about them never seem able to hold my attention. Pretty much every book that has mermaids as the main character I have disliked. I wanted to like this book and the start felt promising but the more I read the more bored I became and I felt nothing happened in the book. Emma, the main character in this book was rather dull and I j
Abbie
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

I liked Emma, and I felt sorry for her because of everything that happened with Tom, and the situation she was in was a hard one.

This started out alright, but after a few chapters it started to drag a bit. After that, It took some time to really get interesting again, By which point, the ending was near.

The ending wasn't a great one, as it was left very open. After going through the whole book wondering what would happen with
Katie W
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was so lucky to be able to read two great mermaid books back to back! I really enjoyed the take on this one. It was very creative in how mermaids come to be.

Emma is such a great character and one that I absolutely adored! She has a younger special needs brother and she is so good to him. She's so helpful to her parents and is a good student, too. After a tragic incident at the end of her junior year, she's very hesitant to date again or to become involved with boys at all, especially since her
Sherry Fundin
I saw the beautiful cover and knew this would be about mermaids and that I had to have it!

Nichole Giles’ writing had me from the beginning.

Emma knows she only has 412 days, days before she must return to the water, 412 days left to be human, 412 days left before she is completely mermaid, 412 days left before she is to join Merrick, who will take her to Atlantis.

Emma – she was hatched. How funny is that? I never really thought of where mermaids come from, have you? I can’t help but chuckle as I
Deborah Andreasen
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Water So Deep was a thrilling read for me. I inhaled it in two days. (Who needs to do housework?!)

This is the story of Emma, a girl who is destined to be a mermaid in only a few short months. Her Grandmother knows about this change, but she's the only one. Emma must face her family and friends every day knowing she won't see them much longer, but also knowing she can't tell them. If Emma doesn't enter the sea, she'll literally drown on land.

Emma was a great character to me. The beginning start
Alisa
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars...

Senior year is hard for most students, but for Emma it's even harder. Her ex-boyfriend Tom was sent to prison for attacking her and all his friends hate her. There's a new kid at school named James who has a locker right next to hers. And he's making it hard for her to keep her promise to herself to never trust another boy.

But the hardest thing about her senior year: Emma is a changeling, which means she is becoming a mermaid. Oxygen calms her mind, but seawater calms her body. Right
Marie
I received this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Where do I begin?

The sexism and internalized misogyny in this book made this an accidental live hate-read for me. Seriously. I am so sick of 'those girl' being put down. Who are 'those girls' and what's so bad about being them anyways? And James is gross and a dickhole and has serious anger issues and just. I only finished this because I was hateblogging it.

Emma is boring. Merrick is gross. I don't know enough about disabled pe
Holly
*I received an advanced reader's copy of this book for purposes of an honest review (from Kathy at EbooksForReview.com / I Am a Reader, Not a Writer). The rating and review have not been influenced by receiving the book for free; these are my honest thoughts and opinions.*

When I saw this book available on Kathy's awesome ebooksforreview.com site, I knew it was one I wanted to review. As with anything in life, though, you never know what you're going to get when you agree to review a book; someti
Kelly
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First, don’t let the title fool you because there had better be a second book to this one or I just might explode! I might explode any way waiting for it! If I could give it 10 stars I would. Water So Deep sucked me in from the first page, so at the last page when the cliff hanger happened I was like, “NO. WAY.”! I want answers now! I was left so sad and furious at the ending!

Water So Deep is an easy to follow storyline. It isn’t totally original but it yet it had its own twist to it. Which I re
Kara
Water So Deep was a much better read than I was expecting. I requested it on impulse (like, let’s face it, I do with pretty much everything I read on that amazing site) and it in only a few days. I requested it because a) gorgeous cover, and b) mermaids! I’ve been dying to read good mermaid YA for awhile now (ever since I realized Atlantia was in fact not about mermaids.) So looking at the rating I’ve chosen to give it, you might be wondering why.

I’ll start with the positives.

Mermaids! As outlin
Aneta Bak
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
“Love. We’re bound by love. I love him.”

Water So Deep is a captivating tale about a young girl slowly turning into a mermaid and falling in love.
Emma is a mermaid, but was sent away to live on land as a baby. As she's aging, she finds the need to go into the water more often.

This book starts off strong, as Emma is abused by her current boyfriend Tom on her prom night. Being broken by Tom, Emma has a hard time dealing with new people, until James Phelps comes to town and sweeps her off her feet
Mareena
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fantasy
Recommended to Mareena by: Inspired Kathy at Ebooks For Review
Seventeen-year-old Emma Harris feels like she is drowning on dry land. Not only is that feeling partly due to her slow recovery from a prom night assault perpetrated on her by her boyfriend; it is also beginning to encroach on Emma's life, stealthily creeping into her reality and into her routine. No one really understands what's happening to her, and as much as Emma loves her adoptive family and her friends, she wants to keep her secret to herself - for as long as she can.

For the past two years
Katie
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
I received a free review copy of this book through Netgalley.

My reviews can also be found on my blog, Kittens and Books.

Emma is a changeling. When she was an infant, she was dropped off with a human - her Gran - to live on land for eighteen years. After this time passed, she would be physically forced to return to the sea.

This left Emma living with her parents and her younger brother. The only person who knew about her condition was Gran, who insisted they not tell her parents until the change
Lea
It's really hard to read a book when you don't like the characters. Lucky for me, that wasn't the case with Water so deep.

I don't think there's anything I didn't like about this book. So, without further ado, here's The List:

- I really liked the MC, whose name I've already forgotten, because even though she didn't especially like what her future held, she didn't stand around moping all day, or use this as an excuse to be a bitch to everyone. She was also realistic about it, and although I would'
Kika
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book gets a four star rating from me, because while I didn't love every page of it, the pages I did love I loved a whole damn lot, to the point of offsetting the pages I didn't.

I read a good amount of YA, but this is definitely the first mermaid story I've encountered in a long, long while. In terms of description and character drive, this crux of the story could not have been better for me -- the world Emma literally swims in contains some of Giles's best prose and most clear, concise writ
Mindy
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Isn't this cover gorgeous! It perfectly reflects the story. When we are introduced to Emma, she is swimming. She knows she will eventually have to leave her life on land and live permanently in the ocean. Emma knows she came from Atlantis, but was left as a baby. Only her Gran knows her mermaid secret. Emma has a lot going on. She was given a bad reputation for an incident that happened with her ex-boyfriend, and the new boy James, finds himself not able to stay away from her, as she tries her b ...more
Kimberly
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Emma is turning into a mermaid and there's nothing she can do to stop it from happening. She also can't seem to do anything about Merrick, the horrible, obsessive merman she's been promised to.

For the most part, I liked Emma. But she wasn't perfect and there were a few times where she did things that were not very nice.She had a lot on her plate, dealing with her transformation, knowing she was going to have to leave her family, especially her brother who is special needs, and falling in love ri
Gilisgreen_15kindle.com
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
People can be so cruel. Emma has been wrongfully judged and accused of ruining someone's life and so others lives by default. She has closed herself off from people and will never let anyone in, especially guys. Until James... I loved watching Emma interact with her brother, Keith. I liked how she tried to treat him as an adult while being sensitive to his limitations due to his disability. It would be a difficult balancing act. I really liked how James took Emma's brother in. He was a very genu ...more
Kelsey
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my first mermaid book and it definitely won’t be my last. I really loved this story. Emma is a great character; she went through a very rough ordeal, but she managed to overcome it with the love and strength of her family. You can’t help but fall in love with her little brother Keith, and the friendship he and James formed was also one of my favorite aspects of the book. James is one of those guys that seems like the ladies’ man jock, and in a way, he is, since he could get any girl he ...more
Rachelle
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story of seventeen-year-old Emma Harris is intriguing because she's human but she's slowly changing, turning into a mermaid. Nichole does an excellent job of helping the reader feel the intensity of this change and Emma's need for water.

I love the secondary characters in this book. Emma has a close relationship with her brother, Keith, who is disabled. She cares for him and it's great to see a strong sibling tie in a story with young adults.

Emma's friend, or more-than-friend, James adds anot
Anita Radcliffe
A full review of this book will be posted on my blog.

I had a few problems with this book, although they weren't so huge that they caused me to dislike the book. I wish the story would have moved along faster. I feel like we didn't really reach the climax of the story until the last fifteen pages or so. This left the reader with little to go on at the end of the story.

I would like to applaud the author for including a diverse character set. As someone with a "dis"abled sibling, I loved Keith's ch
Diana
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have to say I loved this story. I loved the cover as well. But this story was so fascinating that I couldn’t put it down. I don’t normally read fantasy or mermaid stories but this one was worth it to me.
The story is about Emma Harris, it is her senior year and she loves her family and loves living on land, not her fault that she was born a mermaid and has to return to the sea. She is a responsible person and loves her family. But her destiny was already made for her. She will return to the se
Tara Looney
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Giles' beautifully scripted story of Emma was a tear jerk-er and at times had me so very proud of this strong willed girl that I wanted to share it with my daughter!

Giles' ability to take the fairy tale world of mermaids and mermen and intertwine them into the coming of age story of sweet Emma was intriguing. Emma has a whole hidden life that even her Mom and Dad know nothing about. A life she didn't choose and is having a hard time accepting.

Emma had the seemingly perfect high school life...
Ella
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
3 Things Ella Learnt From Reading This Book:

- Boys are obsessed with auburn hair.

- Mermaids just aren't for me.

- It is actually possible to want to eat your kindle in boredom.

I found the whole mermaid story totally uninteresting, but I think that's more to the fact that I've come to realize that Mermaid stuff just isn't for me. Having Emma flick her "auburn waves" EVERYWHERE got on my nerves. I liked the relationship that Emma had with her younger brother who had special needs, but Emma was rea
Lady
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Transition Unwanted

This series must be read in order. This is the first book.

Emma is in transition... She is slowly becoming a full on all the time water breathing mermaid. She does not want to be a mermaid. She wants to be a normal human girl wiwater b a normal boring life and stay with her adoptive family and her best friend Heather. At least on land no one is selling her to Merrick! There is no way she is marrying that creepy merman! Will she find a way to become fully human? Will she be able
Angelique The Gilded Pages
Oh how I wanted to love this one! I really enjoy good mermaid books. The plot of this one sounded so promising! Emma did not want to become a mermaid and she was trying to avoid her betrothed merman all while trying not to fall in love with the human boy she knew she would have to leave behind. It sounded too good to be true, and unfortunately I was right.

I did not like Emma at all. I felt bad for her because of what happened to her with her ex-boyfriend and the fact that she could not stop her
Kaveshni Naidoo
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, the story was so original. Emma might look like a typical teenager to everyone around her but she carries with her a secret so deep. When her boyfriend beats her up on prom night everything changes. She will never date again, besides she doesn't have much time left of her human life so why bother. Enter James, who is all kinds of hot and he has his eyes set on Emma. Can Emma move past her fears, and let James in or will James get tired of chasing someone so out of his league.
F
Maari
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well first, let me say, look at that cover! Beautiful, right? This book was wonderful! Very different to be able to 'experience' Emma turning from a human into a mermaid and the struggles that she deals with in doing so! Without giving anything away, there are many trials for her, in many forms..This book does end in a cliffhanger & does leave some of the storyline open for more details. I look forward to seeing where this adventure takes us! ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 19, 2015 06:58AM
Available on NetGalley! 1 2 Feb 25, 2015 12:35AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Water So Deep by Nichole Giles - Starting Febraury 2nd 2015 18 9 Feb 02, 2015 12:09PM

• The Hunt (The Secret Circle, #5)
  • Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #4)
  • Nightfall (The Vampire Diaries: The Return, #1)
  • Shadow Souls (The Vampire Diaries: The Return, #2)
  • The Awakening / The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2)
  • The Fury / Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #3-4)
  • UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)
  • The Fury (The Vampire Diaries, #3)
  • The Divide (The Secret Circle, #4)
  • The Temptation (The Secret Circle, #6)
  • A Shade of Vampire 90: A Ruler of Clones
  • Winds of Destiny (The Vampire Gift #11)
  • Darklight 8: Darkwilds
  • The Troubles Keeper
  • Back Again
  • The Snow
  • The Dark Winter
  • The Numbing: A Supernatural Apocalypse Novel (Whiteout Book 3)
Nichole Giles had early career plans of becoming an actress or a rock star, but she decided instead to have a family and then become a writer. Writing is her passion, but she also loves to spend time with her husband and children, travel to tropical and exotic destinations, drive in the rain with the convertible top down, and play music at full volume so she can sing along.

Water So Deep (2 books)
  • Ocean So Wide (Water So Deep, #2)