Start by marking “Even if the Sky Falls” as Want to Read:
Even if the Sky Falls

Even if the Sky Falls

All she needs is one night to be anyone she wants.

Julie is desperate for a change. So she heads to New Orleans with her youth group to rebuild houses and pretend her life isn’t a total mess. But between her super-clingy team leader and her way-too-chipper companions, Julie feels more trapped than ever.

In a moment of daring, she ditches her work clothes for DIY fairy wings
Published May 10th 2016 by Katherine Tegen Books

“The night has been amazing so far, but I need another jolt – I need my heart to beat out of my chest – I need to feel alive if only for short bursts of time.”

This was a YA contemporary romance about two people who meet in New Orleans.

Julie was a bit of a crazy girl, and she certainly showed this when she ran away from her youth group and found romance with a random boy
Kate (GirlReading)
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this. It was utterly adorable, incredibly easy to read and although the romance was definitely instalove (which I usually don’t warm to) it didn’t bother me at all. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed the romance. Both of the main characters were wonderfully cute and both dealing with their own issues and wanted to escape them for one night and I loved it. I absolutely adored the descriptions of Mardi Gras and New Orleans. It was fun, immersive, captivating and made me want to go th ...more
Milka
I am feeling so much book-love towards Mia Garcia's debut Even If the Sky Falls! I am mainly a contemporary reader, and once I finished with this one, I felt like I was satisfied on all fronts - there's family narrative, a coming-of-age type of finding yourself pondering, friendships, romance, an interesting setting and so much more. In addition to all of that, the writing is so exchanging and descriptive and pretty much flows out of the pages and brings the characters and the setting alive.

Afte
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
review to come
key points
- The writing is beautiful
- The characters are meh. Julie's 'problem' is meh and a bit self centered
- the whole romance in a day doesn't work for me
- could not connect to characters
- the storyline between Julie and Tavis is completely odd and unnecessary
- the whole 20% ending off the book was odd. What kind of a doctor just takes a patient out of the hospital in the name of 'love' and how can no one tell her that Miles was the one that bought her in.. come on
Jen
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*Brb, caught up in a hurricane of emotion and I'm not ready to come back down yet.*

Sometimes a book sneaks up on you, kicks you in the feels and steals your heart all while making you laugh and swoon. That's what this book did to me.

When I picked it up at 11:00 last night, I only expected to read a few pages. By 1:30a.m., I had to force myself to put it down. Because sleep. And kids. And life. When I picked it back up again today, I didn't stop until I reached the end. Then, I wanted to go back
Stacee
I loved the premise of this book. I was excited for the promise of a swoony boy and leaving problems behind for a 24 hour slice of time.

Right off the bat, I struggled with the back and forth of the chapters. At first didn't realize that it was supposed to be a time shift. There isn't a heading indicating anything and I'm guessing it's supposed to like Julia is rehashing the past in her mind, for me it didn't work.

As for Julia, she was a bit meh. I didn't have a reason to root for her. The issu
Karina
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
“I don’t care how much truth there is to this night. I’m not looking for truth, I’m looking to escape”

Even If the Sky Falls was told on Julie’s point of view. It was mostly set on one night: the Mid-Summer Mardi Gras, where Julie met Miles – the one she spent the magical night of Mid-Summer Mardi Gras with. A love story was where the story was focused but it also tackled teenagers’ way of coping with their personal problems and mental health.

I enjoyed reading this book, it was fun but it was
Jackie (No Bent Spines)
I've decided I can't live without this book.
Sara (Freadom Library)
This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

Critically
Plot – 3 out of 5 stars
This story was quite cute, and interesting as well. It was fast paced and easy to read. It dealt with themes of family, PTSD, adventure, violence and guilt. There was a mystery involved and unfortunately, the romance moved a bit too fast in my opinion. I like my contemporary to be light but real and this book didn’t have the depth I wanted. It took the time to mention real life heartache ye
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
When I first read about Even If the Sky Falls, I wanted to read it immediately. It also helps that the cover looks amazing, so of course I really wanted to read it. However, I must say that I am disappointed by the book. The first few pages were very promising, but as I read on, I hated it more and more.

At almost 10% of the book, I felt like there was something about the way it was written that didn’t fly well with me. Although it was very interesting, I just didn’t feel connected to the story n
Neil (or bleed)
Oct 20, 2015 marked it as to-read
Even when the sky falls and I’ve lost it all I know I will find you there.

Even when my heart stops I’ll keep looking 'cause I know I will find you there.
Vee ♔Under Mountain Books♔
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2018
I've been in a reading slump lately, reading bad book after bad book so when I picked this up, I was really hoping that it wouldn't let me down - and somehow the book gods heard me and granted my wish. This is a really cute contemporary romance story, showing 24 hours of Jules life - a bit like The Statistical Probability Of Love At First Sight. I wasn't expecting the whirlwind of emotion that hit me but I loved every moment.

The story is simple, Jules is volunteering with a group of other teenag
nick
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc

I'm so disappointed, guys. I was expecting so much more from Even if the Sky Falls, but it really didn't work for me.

Here are some quick thoughts I had about the book:

- The New Orleans Mardi Gras setting was lovely and beautifully written. I found myself being easily transported to the city. Mia Garcia's writing was definitely vibrant and lively.

- I didn't care about any of the characters at all. They weren't developed enough for me to form a connection.

- The love story was really "meh".

- The
Stacie (Shy Book Nerd)
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Awww, this was so sweet and romantic. I really enjoyed reading this one! From the food in New Orleans, to the atmosphere, all the way down to the culture of New Orleans, I really felt like I was living the story myself. If you're a hopeless romantic that loves reading love at first sight type books, then I highly recommend this one. It was truly amazing.
Samantha (WLABB)
Julie thought she could escape the situation back at home by joining her church youth group for a service project in New Orleans, but what she really needed to do was escape herself. While fleeing herself, she finds "Miles", and was swept away by a whirlwind romance.

This was quite an emotional journey for both Miles and Julie. Both were trying to reconcile their feelings for something major, that was happening in their home lives, and they slowly got there during this 24 hour adventure.

I thought
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy via Edelweiss for review purposes.

I went into Even if the Sky Falls with high hopes, eager for a light-hearted contemporary romance. It turned out to be a good read, but not a fantastic one.

Julie heads to New Orleans, re-building houses with her youth group in order to escape from the troubles at home. One day, after having enough of feeling trapped with her clingy, over-bearing team leader, Julie ditches the programme for the day and heads into the heart of N
Rachel
The book had some interesting aspects to it, but unfortunately I felt like as soon as it was getting interesting (a little bit past the halfway point), it ended. A lot of what the main character, Julie, did, made me SMH with frustration.

(view spoiler)
Christy LoveOfBooks

What to say … I thought I would actually like this. Go figure. I mean, it has its moments, but it mostly just fell flat. Usually I’m drawn to characters like Julie and connect with them when others don’t, but that didn’t happen here. I get what she was going through, but it all felt so superficial. There was little depth, and she was pretty annoying.

There were a couple of bright spots. I loved the atmosphere of the festival in NOLA and the incoming hurricane. I also enjoyed the boys. I wish ther
Alexa
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really adore being pleasantly surprised by books, and that happened with Even If the Sky Falls! Really like how this author approached her story, and also loved the New Orleans setting.
Deniz
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

I like the idea, I quite liked the writing style, I loved the setting, I quite enjoyed the first quarter... and then I lost interest somehow.

story line
The plor should actually totally my kinda thing. I love those one-night-that-change-your-life adventures. Maybe because that's my own story? Anyway, I did like the plot. Except I kept expecting something epic, something more... and that somehow never happened. So at the end, I was left kinda wanting and unsatisfied. Because the romance,
alice (arctic books)
find this and other reviews at http://arcticbooks.wordpress.com!!

Thank you to Katherine Tegen Books for providing me with this book in exchange for an honest review.

Like the cover-lover I am, I was really excited to read this book. I hadn’t heard much about EVEN IF THE SKY FALLS around, so I was sort of nervous, but fortunately, I really enjoyed this novel. EVEN IF THE SKY FALLS follows Julie as she decides to wander away from her Habitats for Humanity group and visits the Mardi Gras celebration
Aoife
2.5 stars.

This is a really cute story about two teenagers who meet on the night of Mardi Gras in New Orleans and spend the rest of the night together, exploring the city and learning about each other but leaving their baggage behind.

This had a lot of potential and I really loved the setting. New Orleans really just drags me in, I love the way in every book it comes alive and almost has a personality of its own. There is always a huge sense of living in the moment and not taking things for grante
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Holy New Orleans! Hurricanes, love, stars,dancing, and falling in love who needs more. This story is so amazing that I loved it right from the start. I started reading it at 11:00am and finished it the nest day at 3:00am in the morning. I just could not put it down.

Julie is an amazing main character. She has so much going on in her life right now. Her brother is home from war not the same. He is suffering from PTSD and the family is not handling it well. Her parents are just acting like nothing
Kelly Hager
This book snuck up on me. It starts out as being about a girl who's trying to get over her weird and horrible family situation (which is parceled out incredibly slowly over the course of the book, so I don't want to spoil anything) and turns into an incredibly sweet and swoon-worthy romance.

I'm not entirely sure when I started thinking of Miles as an actual boyfriend-type and not just a fun guy to flirt with (probably about the same time Jules does, right?) but it absolutely happened.

This is the
Kelly Gunderman
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

Alright, let me start off by saying that it's been a while since I've written a review for a book that I didn't really click with, and you all know that I really don't like writing negative reviews, because an author works really hard on their books and they deserve to have great things said about what they've written. So I'm going to make this review as positive as I can!

The book starts off with our main chara
Suze Lavender
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's the evening of the Mid-Summer Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans. Julie runs away from everyone she knows because she needs time on her own and space to breathe and is being swept up in the party atmosphere. There she meets someone wonderful, he has blue hair and they instantly feel a connection. Julie calls him Miles. They don't know anything about each other, but it feels like they've always been friends.

In the whirlwind of the celebrations Julie thinks about her brother. When he came home
Kaitlyn Davis
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure, a good friend of mine is the author...and her book is amazing!! I totally fell in love with New Orleans and the journey the characters took! You will get swept away with this read :)
Margie's Must Reads
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A whirlwind romance, a once in a life time adventure, a story of friendship, love and this above all: to thine own self be true. I fell instantly in love!
Alicia
Apr 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't know why this was on my TBR- perhaps with a setting as rich as New Orleans, maybe it was about war/PTSD, maybe it was the religious aspect. All were present but none of it came together to create an engaging read. The main character comes from a Christian family and is in New Orleans for a retreat. She has flashbacks to her brother returning from war with PTSD and the struggles they had as a family. She also falls into an insta-romance with a boy after she "escapes" the home-build on the ...more
Liz
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
This was awarded the 'Hot Under the Cover Award' in Epic Reads 2016 Book Shimmy Awards. While the romance was nice, the fact that the main character absconds from her church group to have a solo adventure and turns her phone off after the predictable litany of 'where are you' and 'are you okay' texts from the church group leader, her parents etc really made me angry. I get teens are somewhat selfish etc, but a simple 'i'm fine will get back to you later' or something to her parents at least woul ...more
  • A Walk in the Sun
  • Frannie and Tru
  • The Distance from A to Z
  • Frankly in Love
  • Exit Stage Left
  • Finding Abbey Road (Exile #3)
  • The Cat King of Havana