Start by marking “Biz Kimden Kaçıyorduk Anne?” as Want to Read:
Biz Kimden Kaçıyorduk Anne?

Biz Kimden Kaçıyorduk Anne?

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  285 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
“Küçük bir kızı kovası yüzünden aşağılamayı öğrenmiş çocuklar düşün,” diyecek Annem yıllar sonra. “O gün orda onların annelerine babalarına derslerini vermek için nasıl yanıp kavrulduğumu düşün. Gözyaşların göğsümü yaktı. Kalbimin tam üstünde ağladın. Ağlattılar seni, boş yere. Öyle çocuklarla oynamana izin vermedim bir daha. Kalbini kırmalarına izin vermedim Bambim.”
Annem
183 pages
Published June 2007 by Can Yayınları

To ask other readers questions about Biz Kimden Kaçıyorduk Anne?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biz Kimden Kaçıyorduk Anne?

Nihan E.
May 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Üslubu biraz sıkıcı olsa da etkileyici bir hikayeydi.
Idilik
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Maraz anne- kiz iliskileri icinde gecen bir gerilim romani, alt mesajlari, elestirilere dikkat edilerek okunursa daha anlamli geliyor goze.
Olivia Winter
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be an outstanding piece of literary fiction and Perihan Magden an amazing novelist. Her writing is so strong, with such a distinct style that it's even obvious in translation. I particularly enjoyed the fact that there's an author who doesn't spell it all out for the reader like most do but just presents you with all the bits and pieces you need to know mostly through the eyes of a severely emotionally disturbed and deluded first-person narrator. At the same time, it's not hard t ...more
Margaret Özemet
Brilliant.
Lesley
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
I don't know maybe I got lost a little with this book translated to English.. it was intriguing with the whole no names used and hotel hopping but then I lost interest and sad ending.
Mack
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Hard-edged crime fiction is what you will usually find me reading. Then a book like Escape comes along to remind me why I need to widen my interests. Escape has stuck with me long after finished reading it...for the second time.

An unnamed mother and daughter flee from an unspecified threat. For the daughter, living in hotel rooms around the world is the only life she has known. When the mother says danger is near, they escape, heading to the airport, taking only what will fit i
Judith
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went back and forth with this one. It got me from the very first page, which was good. But then I wondered if it would dissolve along the way.

The story is mostly narrated by the daughter, who is in her teens by the end and who remembers things from her earlier childhood as the book goes along. She talks about her life with her mother, living in hotels and then leaving suddenly, leaving clothes, toys, collections of rocks behind, running with nothing more than a backpack. And starting again in
Serdar KIZIL
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
"İçimdeki bütün tellerin koptuğunu hissedeceğim. İçimde üzüntünün gözlerimden, burnumdan başlarak büyüyerek aşağılara indiğini. Hiç bu kadar büyük bir acının altında kalmadığımı. Tüm bunları hissedip sana bir şey belli etmeyeceğim."
Katherine C
I was excited to review this book as I lived in Turkey for five years when I was young and it is written by a Turkish author, Perihan Magden. The author has an almost poetic way of writing, broken sentences filled with emotions. This may be a result of the translation. But I believe it is the deliberate intent of the author to give the reader a true sense of childlike recollection. The story of Mother and Daughter joined as a “moon unit” as they make their way from hotel to hotel across countrie ...more
Shirin
Nov 28, 2010 rated it liked it
The English version of the book isn't online but this is it! Whom Were We Running From, Mother? is from a Turkish author I hadn't heard about until I picked up the book in an airport bookstore, oddly enough. And very different from other Turkish authors I've read (Pamuk, Shafak), Mağden has a minimalist style about her writing. I'm not sure how well her style translates in English but lots of repetition, short, stark sentences, and an air of mystery and timelessness to the narrative pervade the ...more
Cheryl
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-on-audible
I added this book by a Turkish author to my "to read" list as a part of my effort to read more globally this year. I was thrilled to find it was available as an audiobook and I have to say, it just blew me away! "Escape" is a gripping story about an intense (read "pathologic") relationship between a mother and her daughter who seem to be on the run, inhabiting a series of hotel rooms
and interacting with others only minimally. The story is told primarily from the daughter's perspective at various
Amanda
Escape has an intriguing storyline -- a young girl and her mother are on the run from something or someone the daughter doesn't understand, and their presence takes bystanders in as well as repel them. The power of the individual to hide in a crowd, as well as the ability for people to ignore what is clearly happening in front of them. The narration swings from the daughter, to the various people they encounter along the way. Little hints are dropped throughout the book as to the true identity o ...more
Stephen Dartnell
This novel by Perihan Mağden is a classic example of modern Turkish literature.

The book describes the journey across Europe of a over protective mother and her beautiful and vulnerable daughter who appear to be running away from someone or something .... but what are they running from?

This is n excellent thriller that will keep the reader guessing to the end!!
Masrina
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good pacing and enough mystery to pull you into the story. Some stories are best left as it is and this is one of it. I know some readers would have loved a "proper" ending with the mystery uncovered and all but to me, the way the book ended was perfect. Recommended if you want to fast read without laboring over characters.
Chana
Read it straight through, I was fascinated and continually wanted to know what would happen next. I wondered how it would end, and it does end in one manner of speaking, but we are still left to wonder what happens next?? It is creepy, sad, terrifying as mother and daughter flee from hotel to hotel in search of temporary safety and brief normalcy. Twisted version of love. A most unusual book.
Amy
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Escape grabs a hold of you right from the beginning and strangle-holds you until the very last page. And you still aren't totally sure what has happened, why it happened, and what's next for the mother and daughter "Moon Unit!!!"

I would recommend this novel to anyone who like a taut, edge-of-your-flippin'-seat, keep-you-guessing-until-the-very-end thriller.
Neset
Mar 06, 2008 rated it liked it
run bambi ruuuuun. magden's witty and asexuel writing style will grab your hand and take you to the nameless hotels where the futureless characters(with no past) mostly pass their enjoyable time. a very cruel story that is based on magden's obssesive subject, a rocky mother-daughter relationship.
Brett Axel
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually take weeks, even months to finish a book. This one I devoured in a day and a half. I literally couldn't put it down.

Its a simple story of a mother raising her daughter "on the run" in Oceanside hotels. The girl is sheltered from influences other than her deranged mother.

S
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So far this book is great with the perfect amount of creepiness for Halloween.

English Title: Whom Were We Running From?

Somehow this did not come up in Goodreads, but the Turkish title did... weird.
JEO Ocean
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most unexpected and strange books I've read in a while. I thought it was interesting the way they wrote from the mother then people who had seen the mother and daughter together. Fascinating perspective. I really enjoyed the strangeness of it.
Esin
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
bayildim...
Gökçe
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Akici bir dille yazilmis, sasirtici donusleri olan keyifli bir roman.
Iris
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Verstörend und rätselhaft.
Colleen Lahey
Jun 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great at building tension. At the end, however, it just dies. Literally. And you never even find out the backstory.....what was the point??????
Ros
Dec 01, 2012 added it
Read in English. It is a fascinating book and I am not sure what to make of it - especially as I know the author!
Aycan Ünal
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Keşke iyi bir yönetmen şu kitabı görse de filmini çekse!
Monica
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I listened to this on audiobook and I have to say that the reading was outstanding.
Carol Vomacka mendenhall
Quick read

Read this book quickly, within a few hours. Interesting, twist to the end. A little jarring with the untied ends, but main plot line was complete.
Berrak
  • Gol  Kralı
  • The Sky Unwashed
  • Kadının Adı Yok
  • Türkçe Off
Perihan Mağden is a Turkish novel writer and columnist in newspapers, especially known for her wit and diverse use of language.

Mağden was born in 1960 in Istanbul. After graduating from Robert College of Istanbul, she studied psychology at Boğaziçi University. By her own account, she was an unruly student—and her mother was proud of it.
One of the most famous writers in young Turkish literature, P
More about Perihan Mağden...