Start by marking “Real Presence: The Christian Worldview of C. S. Lewis as Incarnational Reality” as Want to Read:
Real Presence: The Christian Worldview of C. S. Lewis as Incarnational Reality

Real Presence: The Christian Worldview of C. S. Lewis as Incarnational Reality

Drawing on the writings of C.S. Lewis, Payne focuses on Lewis' intense awareness that God indwells his life and transforms it--the incarnational reality. With exceptional insight, Payne introduces readers to the real presence of God in the lives of all who believe, a presence that makes an enormous difference if the believer is aware of it and cultivates it.
Published June 1st 1995 by Baker Books (first published June 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Real Presence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Real Presence

Start your review of Real Presence: The Christian Worldview of C. S. Lewis as Incarnational Reality
E.
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: c-s-lewis
A good book for people with limited knowledge of Lewis's works, or possibly for a group discussion. The appendix section on Charles Williams's treatment of good and evil is one of the better parts of the book. The chapter on imagination is less so--I think the author needed a more thorough grounding in aesthetics to address the subject fairly. As is, she is too harsh with Aristotle and too easy on Plato. Yes, Plato emphasized divine inspiration in art while Aristotle came up with a more ...more
Matt
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Leanne Payne pulls from throughout C.S. Lewis's life and works for a very serviceable outline and summary of Lewis's view of man, God, and reality. She's fair to Lewis, at least insofar as my knowledge of Lewis enables me to judge, and I found it helpful to see Lewis's philosophic thoughts systematically laid out.

Further, as a reader with a deep appreciation for Charles Williams, I thought Payne's rather severe criticism of William's view of good and evil in the appendix (titled "The Great
Kalimorgan
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dense for me but a lot of helpful theology.
Mike
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This was Leanne Payne's very first book, and she presents Lewis's writings as if they represent the epitome of orthodox Christianity. In fact, she often does the same in her later books as well.

Unfortunately, Lewis held some seriously heretical doctrines. For instance, he believed that macroevolution was a perfectly valid explanation for the origin of life. He also didn't believe in the inerrancy of Scripture. And he thought that the story of Adam and Eve might well just be a myth, not something
James Prothero
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Payne writes well and has some fresh insights. Well put together. But I have to say as an editor of a Lewis journal through the 90s, none of this is particularly ground-breaking in terms of insight. A good book for someone who hasn't read all the background material.
Richard George
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Payne synthesises the psychological, theological and spiritual in ways few others have. As far as I know anyway  any suggestions? ...more
Jonathan
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting particularly for any C.S. Lewis fans
Vicki
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book helped put together the pieces of a sacramental understanding of life...a significant step toward finding my spiritual home.
Daniel Summy
Jan 01, 2016
Mandy
Mar 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• Quirky: The Remarkable Story of the Traits, Foibles, and Genius of Breakthrough Innovators Who Changed the World
  • A Comprehensive French Grammar
  • When We Were Orphans
  • The Cabin at the End of the World
  • The Rosie Result (Don Tillman, #3)
  • Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall
  • Flight Path: A Biography of Frank Barker JR.
  • Emma in the Night
  • Fervent: A Woman's Battle Plan to Serious, Specific and Strategic Prayer
  • No Longer at Ease (The African Trilogy, #2)
  • All Is Not Forgotten
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • Responsible Conduct: Principles of Christian Ethics
  • Sanctuary
  • Preaching with Freshness
  • Washington Black
  • The BFG
  • God Guides
Mrs. Payne has been active in the ministry of healing prayer for over thirty years. She is the founder and president of Pastoral Care Ministries.

Her books include: Real Presence, The Broken Image, Healing the Homosexual, Crisis in Masculinity, Healing Presence, Restoring the Christian Soul, and Listening Prayer.

She has taught for Wheaton College, in the graduate program in Christian Spirituality

News & Interviews