Start by marking “Skyward” as Want to Read:
Skyward

Skyward

E.R. nurse Ella Majors has seen all the misery that she can handle. Burned-out and unsure of her next step, she accepts the temporary position as caregiver to Marion Henderson, a frightened five-year-old who suffers from juvenile diabetes. But Ella soon realizes there is more sorrow in the isolated home than the little girl’s illness can account for. Harris Henderson, a si ...more
Published May 31st 2005 by Mira Books (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Skyward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skyward

Obsidian
Honestly this one didn't work when you focused on the adult characters. There was also a wise old black man helping out the white people around him and that didn't sit that well with me either. I think the biggest issue is that Harris was selfish about everything and Ella should have stayed professional. The characters of Elijah, Brady, and Clarice are the only parts of the book I enjoyed reading about. Monroe backed off on incorporating Brady into more of the story and I wish she had. Clarice a ...more
Cathy
Oct 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Okay, it's a Harlequin but it was about birds and a child with Type 1 Diabetes. So very disappointed. Here's my Amazon review:
All you needed to do, Mary Alice Monroe or Harlequin Books is have one, just one, parent of a child with Type 1 Diabetes read the book before publication. This book contains dangerous misinformation about Type 1 Diabetes. (It hasn’t for some time been called “juvenile diabetes” though the author uses this term exclusively.) Although she claims to have consulted medical pe
Marleen
The fact that Mary Alice Monroe often weaves environmental issues into her story-lines is a known fact – and I applaud that – as she is taking up that cause for her beautiful home turf; the South Carolina Low Country, which is a unique habitat for fauna and flora. The reason why I only gave this book a 2 star rating, is that I wasn't particularly compelled by the story in general and by the characters at an emotional level. Indeed, despite his wonderful work running the Sanctuary for Birds of pr ...more
Nelly
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm sorry, Mary Alive Monroe, but were you trying to rewrite Jane Eyre? Because you didn't do a very good job. Honestly, the predictability of this book was ridiculous and 50 pages in I said, "Oh, she's trying to re-do Jane Eyre and is failing."

SPOILERS AHEAD

There is everything from the female protagonist coming to nanny for the male protagonist's 5 year old daughter, to them falling in love, to the lead male being married to a woman who's unavailable to him, to a fire caused by the wife, to b
Judy Churchill
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a total surprise to me. While other reviewers seemed to be disappointed in Monroe’s choice of subject, I was enthralled. The story is set in the Carolina low country at a birds of prey rehabilitation center. We learn about this conservation program. One of the protagonists is a five year old girl who is newly diagnosed with diabetes. Controlling and understanding this disease is heartbreaking. Altogether an interesting read! Perhaps not truly a literary masterpiece, but a good book ...more
bookczuk
To me the magic of this book was not the story, as much as it was the birds and the South Carolina lowcountry. The story was, despite my history as a pediatric nurse, incidental. Btu reading of the raptors, now that was something!

I do admire Mary Alice Monroe's ability to capture our area and focus in on a habitat or a species or environment. She did it with Beach House and the turtles, too. And her characters seem very, very real to me. Not always clever or perfect or beautiful, but then again,
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Mary Alice Monroe. This book kept my attention, always pulling me along to read what was going to happen next. As all this type of book are, it was a bit predictable, still many heartwarming moments.
Ginny Stevens
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ms Monroe weaves a very good story that warms the heart. In addition it is educational whether sea turtles in the Beach House series or raptors in this book. Always interested in learning about God’s creations.
Christina
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I simply could not put Skyward down. The story moves along at just the right pace, all the while sneaking in tidbits of information about birds-of-prey that make you realize how truly amazing and majestic these birds are.

This romance novel manages to stray away from the soap opera-y tale it could have told solely because the three main characters, Ella, Harris, and Marion, are so believable. However, the return of the mother made me quiet angry, especially at Harris, because I believe his action
Michele Wahlder
The book was good. I learned a lot about birds, raptors in particular.
The editing was the worst I have seen in any ebook I have read. That is the reason for the three stars. I would say every 3 to 5 pages there was a mistake. A tremendous amount of wordsare separated that are not supposed to be:
how ever, any thing, al though .... It was frustrating and surprising considering this was a Harlequin novel
Jeri
Skyward, a sweet romance

Formulaic but satisfying romance. Child with diabetes. Workaholic father. Nurse with a heart of gold. Raptors. And a boy named Brady.
Kay
Aug 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Predictable, but enjoyable reading. Loved learning about various predators in the intro to each chapter.
Danielle Urban
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skyward by Mary Alice Monroe is an enjoyable read. Unlike other women's fiction novels, this one focused on the bird species. The predators. It was cool learning about them. The story seemed interesting but lacked that deep connection I was expecting. This was my first novel read that was written by Mary Alice Monroe. Her cover intrigued me. The pain explored inside, was believable. The relationship between father and daughter...was realistic. The themes of love, trust, and healing were engaging ...more
Leslie
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have loved Monroe's books so much that I'm trying to read all that she has published. Yet again I was not disappointed. Similar to the sea turtle facts in other books, each chapter begins with a fact about birds of prey. I already had a great interest in the birds of SC, particularly the coastal birds, but now I will know the difference in identifying buzzards and black birds, etc.! In a way this storyline disappointed me as I do believe in the sanctity of marriage. However, as a medical profe ...more
Lisa
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The last of my summer reads - school starts tomorrow - and this one was a surprise. While there was much about the plot that was predictable, I enjoyed the prologue to each chapter which gave an ornithologist explanation of one aspect of raptors. As the novel unfolds, and the characters learn about themselves and about each other, we learn about ways their behaviors and choices reflect characteristics of the birds Harris has devoted his life to protecting. The metaphor might feel heavy handed, b ...more
Tori
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great characters!

This is an excellent book, full of the mystery and wonder of creatures I would never have considered before...birds of prey. This masterfully written story is weaved throughout with characters that are broken but not beyond healing...just like the birds they care for in the book. It's a story of redemption for some, a journey of self-awareness for others, but all are connected and share in their experiences. I really enjoyed the story and felt the realness of the characters.
Diana Green
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Though I don't read much in the contemporary fiction genre, this book stood out as particularly well-written. It suited my tastes because of a central focus on the natural world and also on believable character interactions. Though the melodrama towards the end of the story seemed unnecessary, I found the rest of the story compelling and convincing...especially the heroine's dynamic with the little girl, and the teenage boy's evolution. All in all a great read!
Terry Tschann Skelton
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little more substance here than some of her books (altho I've enjoyed every one I've read so far!). Good characters, decent plot. Good descriptions of the area, the people, and the birds of prey which I'm partial to. Love the vultures and have lived near 2 different venues (that's a large flock of vultures who roost together) who would kettle over our property in the evenings before roosting. Fascinating birds! Good story.
Linda
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
At first this book really captivated me, as I like Monroe as an author, Lowcountry themes and anything animals (birds in this case). But it got predictable fast. Throwing in a drug addiction was the final straw. That may be the theme of the hour, but I don't need it in my entertainment reading.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
It is almost fifteen years since I read this book. I do remember it a little, but for some reason didn’t write any notes other than “finished”. I rated it 7/10, which means it was okay, but something bothered me. After reading a couple of other reviews, I think perhaps it was because the diabetes angle was poorly handled (as a nurse, that would do it for me). Wish I could remember.
Chesse McDaris
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book starts off talking about birds of prey. This isn't a high interest topic for me but I pushed on. I was taken by the characters and miffed at some of their choices. The author made some mistakes in terms of juvenile diabetes and should have done a bit more research. I did enjoy the storyline of the book and didn't want to put it down.
Nancy
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I would categorize this book as a substantial romance. Mary Alice Monroe's books are formulaic, with the main characters involved in something of import, but the romance is always one of the main themes. This book focused on a raptor rescue center in South Carolina run by a man who has a daughter with diabetes.
Rita B. Pettus
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful book by Mary Alice Monroe!

This book is one I just couldn't put down. A story of a lonely young woman seeking happiness and finding more than she had ever dreamed of.
Susan Wood
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engaging, complex story

While there were a few facets of the book that seemed as stretch, for the most part the story is complex, fascinating and entertaining. All the characters are multidimensional which makes for a very satisfying read.
Gale Turco
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. The story was somewhat predictable but I enjoyed the characters, especially Ella and Lijah. As a “bird nerd” I especially enjoyed the setting, a raptor rehabilitation facility, and all the technical information about rehabbing birds of prey.
Erin Lehmbeck
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Started out with a great story line. Around three quarters of the way through plot started to crack and felt very rushed. I loved reading all about the birds of prey though and that is what made this a 3 star book instead of a two star book.
Janet G. Shorts
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Mary Alice Monroe, what a fabulous author. I've read several of her books & have NEVER been disappointed. This earlier book was so captivating & I loved learning about birds of prey. I now have a greater appreciation and understanding of them! THANX
Linda A.
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finding Home

This is a breathtaking novel that perfectly blends strong characterization and nature. The reader will find all five senses affected by the beauty of this story. Truly a memorable read.
Karen
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another interesting read by Mary Alice Monroe. While I'm not a big bird person I did enjoy learning about raptors in this book. She begins every chapter with a fact about raptors and I must say I learned a lot. The story line was also good. So, overall a good read.
Mary Beth
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
This author writes a lot of books set in South Carolina that center around nature. This one is about birds of prey -- not my favorite subject. Some of the characters were engaging, but I just didn't care much about Harris, one of the main characters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Shem Creek (Lowcountry Tales, #4)
  • Hank & Chloe
  • Pieces of the Heart
  • Sunrise on the Battery
  • When Light Breaks
  • The Bible—God’s Word or Man’s?
  • Dancing in the Lowcountry
  • Home Fires
  • The Sex on the Beach Book Club
  • The Birthdays
  • Sex as a Second Language
Mary Alice Monroe is the New York Times bestselling author of 22 novels and two children’s picture books. Mary Alice writes richly textured stories that delve into the complexities of interpersonal relationships and the parallels between the land and life. Monroe’s novels are published worldwide.

Monroe has achieved many lists, including the New York Times, USA Today and SIBA and starred reviews.
“the pain eased. “Welcome to the club.” 0 likes