Start by marking “Hide & Seek” as Want to Read:
Hide & Seek

Hide & Seek

Maggie Bradford is on trial for murder - in the celebrity trial of the decade.
As one of the world's best-loved singer-songwriters, she seems to have it all.
So how could she have murdered not just one, but two of her husbands?

Will Shephard was Maggie's second husband.
A magnificent athlete and film star, he was just as famous.
But Will had dark, dangerous secrets that none
Published December 1st 1996 by Grand Central Publishing (first published December 28th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Hide & Seek, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cora
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Hide & Seek
Diane Wallace
Just okay!
It was a mind provoking book -- engaging at times but i'm still disappointed with the plotline..(paperback!)
fleurette
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime

This is not my kind of thing. Most of the story is the biography of Maggie Bradford, the singer, starting from her miserable first marriage, then her later years. This part has first person narration which I generally don't like in my books and I don't like it here too. Another huge part of the book is the biography of Will Shephard, the famous football player and the second husband of Maggie. This part is even harder to read since Will has a very disturbing character and personality.

Maggie is
Salymar
Hide and Seek is my first novel by American author, James Patterson. This novel made quite an impression to me but it isn't the type of book that hooked me till its end. I can still say that It is a page-turner because you could imagine the drama and mystery it entails the readers but it only ends at that.

The novel tells the story of a famous singer Maggie Bradford who once killed her husband in order to protect herself from scurrilous attacks and at the second part of the story, being accused
Kaye
This was one of my least favorite Patterson novels. There is nothing wrong with it except that I didn't care about any of the characters. Most of the story is told from Maggie's point of view. As a young wife she killed her abusive husband to protect her child. She goes on to a fabulous song-writing and singing career. But the story is told in flashbacks from her sitting in jail awaiting trial for killing her current husband after she is already a success. She comes off snarky and smug instead ...more
Gary
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent stand alone novel by James Patterson.
Short chapters, fast paced, full of action, sound familiar?
Melodie
Hide &Seek is one of Patterson's stand alones. A famous singer finds herself in jail, charged in the murder of her husband. Two thirds of the book is Maggie Bradford telling the reader how she came to be sitting in jail. Interspersed is the murdered husband and his background and profoundly disturbing personality.
While not one of my favorites, it's still a page turner with a few surprises for this jaded reader.
Rhonda
Terribly flat dialogue and unrealistic situations. Characters were cardboard. Heroine was unlikable and stupid.

Patterson should refrain from trying to write a female main character. At 6% in our heroine gives this description of herself, (view spoiler)
Mrjackthepoodle
Jan 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Donna
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maggie Bradford is a famous singer and songwriter. Many of her songs are based on the pain and heartbreak she feels because she killed her abusive husband before he killed her and their daughter Jennie. Years later, Maggie falls for famous soccer player Will Fletcher. As readers, we know Will is a psychopath who has killed before. Maggie shoots him outside her home after finding him with Jennie.
Now she must undergo trial for killing her second husband.

I'm pretty sure I read this book when it
Aaron
Jul 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maggie Bradford has had it tough when it comes to romance. She had to kill her abusive husband, and later she loses an older and rich lover to a heart attack while the two of them are sailing. The worse of it comes when she meets soccer star Will Shepherd who is a double image of David Beckham.

Besides being well known from the field, the Golden Arrow is also quite the ladies man. He has no trouble finding romance. Unfortunately for most of the ladies he ends up seeing, things don't usually turn
Matt
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was OK. It's main problem was that the first 2/3 of it was just a woman telling us all about her life, love life in particular, over the past 10 or so years. This was pretty boring as I don't read James Patterson to hear a woman describe how beautiful her wedding was and how each new guy in her life made her feel so special (actually I don't read Patterson at all, I only listen to him on audio books). The redeeming aspects of the book are that the premise of the story is the main ...more
Julia
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i was actually busy with another book, but we went on a motorbike weekend and the other book was too heavy to carry, so i grabbed this one. :)

it was a quick read and oh my word - suspenseful ... very hard to put down.

although i enjoyed it, it's not really my cup of tea. i prefer historical fiction, but like to try something different every now and again. well, at least i can say i've read a james patterson now. :)
Himel Rahman
Spoiler!
It's not for the first time that I am quite disappointed with so-called New York Times Best Seller book. All I could think, while reading, was, "what is this?"
I wish I didn't read it, really.
Will kills his brother, his twin, and disguises himself as his brother. Well? What a twist, damn!
Maggie shoots Will in his leg and Will becomes dumb and can't talk.
Maggie's attorney is a secret member of a secret bar, so the judge spares Maggie from the charge of murdering her husband, Will.
I won't
Chris
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Very suspenseful novel about childhood trauma, domestic abuse & sexual violence. The two narrators are Maggie Bradford and Will Sherman, both of whom had emotionally difficult childhoods that have left them scarred in different ways which shape their lives. They both make it big, she in the music industry & he as an elite athlete. They both have a murder in their past. Intentional, self-defense? You will know. Maggie seeks love through connections, Will discards people, predominantly ...more
Wendy Dranfield
Jan 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, this was full of unrealistic characters and clichés. It may be a good pool-side read if you don't want to have to think much on holiday!
Donna
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn into the story from the beginning. James Patterson makes you feel right along with the MC in this book. It is like you are pulled into her tragic life. The ending was a complete surprise and totally unexpected. Another hit from Mr. Patterson.
Michael Obiora
Within a few pages I could clearly see why James Patterson has sold a ridiculous amount of books. His style of storytelling is very simple (absolutely nothing wrong with that), and the action moves fluidly.
Hide and Seek is only the second book written by James Patterson that I’ve read but I can definitely get a sense of a writer sticking to a formula that works (and why the hell not?). Some of Patterson’s works have been adapted for the silver screen, and perhaps after striking gold with his
Samantha
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, mystery
As the first James Patterson novel I read I must say I was really dissapointed. I had heard all this hype surrounding his works and this was just an OK book. I found myself more interested in every other character except the main character, Maggie. I found her to be a very boring person. I wanted more of Will's story. He was just so sick and twisted and deranged, I was intrigued.
I am no English scholar or professional reviewer so I'm not sure how to put this, but I felt that the last 100 pages
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've tried a few Pattersons' recently - a couple of the Womens' Murder Club, a few Alex Cross and some stand alones like Hide & Seek.

They are very, very easy reads - the chapters alone are far too short for adult novels, I find them very superficial with little depth to many characters and, occasionally, they are so predictable meaning the ending isn't all that great.

I think I've given Patterson a fair shot but I am relegating him to holiday reading only ... something I can read while lazing
Shehab El-Hariry
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Patterson's style makes you feel like you're watching a movie with the fast paced events, the skilful manipulation of timeline and the great character structure.
you can easily relate to Maggie. A good person that just want to follow her dreams of singing and song writing and escaping from the horrible memories of her life. Sadly, tragedy always follow her.
You meet Will,the psychopathic killer with the charming manner and the ability to achieve most of his dreams through his good looks and
A.R. Voss
Jan 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
James Patterson; here's the dilemma: Mr. Patterson puts out many books (perhaps too many.) From what I understand he made $77 million last year, enough money not to worry about going hungry; so please be more selective in what you publish. I lost interest in Mr. Patterson's writing after a valiant attempt in reading "Hide and Seek;" one of rare few books I did not want to finish.
Edmond Gagnon
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was nice to read a novel that was actually written by Patterson himself, before he started publishing underlings with cookie-cutter stories. I'd forgotten that the man can weave a good tale.
Hide and Seek is a murder/mystery story that moves along at a good pace with plenty of twists and turns to keep you interested.
The different points of view bring you closer to the characters and let you inside 'their' story.
I liked the main character and it was easy to root for her throughout the book,
Beth Pieprzica
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved James Patterson’s Hide and Seek. Caught me at the beginning and didn’t want to put it down.
Kaylie
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hide and Seek is my first Patterson. His intent to provoke, anger, or warn is well known and even cherished by many as a celebration of literature’s power to create such feelings or reactions. But my personal engagement during and after reading Hide and Seek is repulsion. I am repulsed by this disgusting tale. I am angered by its characters. And, perhaps most importantly, I am revolted by the fact that I couldn’t help but read the book in its entirety in one setting. I even skipped watching the ...more
Subha Prasad
*Minor, inconsequential spoilers present*
For about the first 250 pages, this book was terribly disappointing. It had a few racy sex scenes, an uninteresting, rapey dude with MPD, plus, an annoying narrator who seemed to be telling her sob story about how celebrity status is so taxing, and full of hardships. Idiots.
It starts off as the journal of the aforesaid annoying narrator. Apparently, she has been convicted of murder of her celebrity husband, and is penning down her side of the story to
Chelsea may Simpson xx
Amazing read keeps you on your toes all the time fantastic read xx
Sanara♥
1/5 stars

I've read 3 other James Patterson books before this one and I really enjoyed reading them. But this book has been a total disappointment!

"Maggie Bradford is on trial for murder- in the celebrity trial of the decade. As one of the world's best-loved singer-songwriters, she she seens to have it all. So how could she have murdered not just one, but two of her husbands?
Will Shepherd was Maggie's second husband. A magnificent athlete and film star, he was just as famous. But Will has dark,
David Roberts
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am reviewing the book Hide And Seek by James Patterson which is an excellent thriller which I bought from a local secondhand bookstore. This book is a stand alone thriller & is one of Patterson's best books. The plot is there is a successful lady who is a country and western singer, & she has got married twice and it looks like she has shot both husbands. In the first case her husband was high on coke & was ransacking the house looking for her and her daughter intent on killing ...more
Alpha Felix
Hide and Seek highlights the intriguing life of Maggie Bradford and Will Shepherd behind their bitterly-wicked past and dimming lights of their present stardom – disgruntled, dangerous, provocative, and indecisive.

Though there are various low points wherein I found myself wanting to turn and skip some of the pages, the excitement will only endures on the concluding chapters of the storyline. It’s a slow-phased drama that will leave you dangling for the truth and final answers after
Karen Bainbridge
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: murder mystery buffs, Patterson fans and anyone who loves great books!
Recommended to Karen by: me from when it first came out
Shelves: reread
This is a book I read a long time ago when it first came out in the late 1990's, extremely interesting the way the juridical courts and their attendants work ie: the judge, lawyers & jury. The tale of a rich and powerful woman who because of her captivating voice is known to millions. Hers was supposed to be the marriage of the century, with her husband being a famous athelete. Maggie(I think that's her name.. too lazy to go over to the book shelf to check) is accused of murdering him, as ...more
Ending 1 13 Feb 28, 2015 10:08PM
Really push puts the p 1 7 Nov 18, 2014 11:44PM
Hide And Seek 2 18 Jan 06, 2013 03:22AM
English 11 1B/D: Hide And Seek 1 9 Dec 03, 2012 07:31AM

• Janet Evanovich Three and Four Two-Book Set (Stephanie Plum, #3-4)
  • The Pelican Brief
  • Unnatural Exposure (Kay Scarpetta, #8)
  • Cruel & Unusual (Kay Scarpetta, #4)
  • The Client
  • The Juror
  • M is for Malice (Kinsey Millhone, #13)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1)
  • The Firm
  • Ashes to Ashes (Kovac and Liska, #1)
  • The Runaway Jury
  • N is for Noose (Kinsey Millhone, #14)
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta, #2)
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • Gone (Quincy & Rainie, #5)
  • One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books
“Beneath the handsome exterior beats a heart of darkness.” 6 likes