Start by marking “Vanishing America: The End of Main Street Diners, Drive-Ins, Donut Shops, and Other Everyday Monuments” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  66 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Think of the quirky buildings you pass every day but whose quiet beauty you take for granted—the moviehouses, juke joints, soda fountains, barbershops, roadside diners, and storefront churches. You don’t miss them until they’re gone. As suburban sprawl and strip malls conquer the country, these vestiges of a lost way of life are falling under the wrecking ball. Here the ph ...more
Published April 29th 2008 by Rizzoli

To ask other readers questions about Vanishing America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanishing America

Kirsten Hively
Dec 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
the photos in this book are amazing and inspirational--more like portraits of buildings and rooms than standard architectural photos. people are entirely absent, which lends the photos even more of a melancholy air than the peeling paint and faded carpets.

the photos are organized by typologies: theaters, churches, hangouts, doors, signs, stores, services, automobiles, hotels, and restaurants, which highlights variations on the themes as well as the themes themselves, and helps the feeling of nar
Angie McCrae
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Vanishing America is a beautifully illustrated book depicting photographs by Michael Eastman of a diminishing America. Eastman traveled the country capturing the architecture and design of small-town America as it surrenders to suburban growth and outlet malls. This look back in time documents the way of life once lived and the sign of times ahead.

Among the photographs are diners, drive-in theaters, movie houses, mom and pop general stores, roadside diners, barbershops, bowling alleys, bars, rec
David Allen
Jun 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Still lifes, without people, of charming and/or decrepit storefronts from around America, especially the photographer's native St. Louis. You'll know from the description whether that appeals to you. I liked it. Not high art, but not gimmicky -- just a sober meditation on America, commerce and transience.
Heather
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
an anthology of America's loneliness, cobwebbed symbols of our small town past, I've been to towns like these and seen these abandoned Main streets and store fronts and something about it is magical and so utterly depressing and melancholy at the same time.
Neo
Jan 04, 2010 rated it liked it
I may have to spend more time with the book and reconsider this rating. I like the subject matter, of course, but I feel that while the images here are good, they somehow don't hit me the way I expected them to. Almost as if they are too predictable, or too obviously composed, or something.
Richard
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Neat photography book - pictures of parts of America that are disappearing.
Jill
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Photography books do not really sell so the quality of the paper and binding are sub-standard.
Kelley Tackett
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love big picture books. Great pictures.
Katherine
Jun 12, 2008 marked it as to-read
THIS. IS. AMAZING. All my Flickr friends will want this, it's just the kind of stuff we're into.
Mike Ward
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blogged
Beautiful and haunting book - full review here

Scott Wood
Apr 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't find the photos particularly inspiring, and the commentary, as is typical of these sorts of works, is overly cynical and haughty.
Marissa
Feb 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
The subjects far and away outshine the photographs for the most part in this book, but it's always interesting to have a window into the beautiful dying buildings of America.
antitext