Start by marking “Drummer Hoff” as Want to Read:
Drummer Hoff

Drummer Hoff

"DRUMMER HOFF" is a lively folk verse all about the building of a cannon. Brightly dressed in full uniform, each soldier brings a part for the remarkable machine.
Published September 20th 2005 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Drummer Hoff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drummer Hoff

Calista
This is adapted from a folk tale. It is a story for beginning children and up. This is a simple story about an army building a cannon told in repetitive verse like the 12 days of Christmas and rhyming.

The best part of the story is the amazing artwork. I think little of the story, accept the cute rhymes, but the artwork is fantastic. I love the energy in the soldiers and all the lines create energy. I give the artwork a 4 stars while the story only 3.

The nephew surprised me and he really got int
Theo Logos
I discovered `Drummer Hoff' in a Scholastic book offer at school when I was six, and begged my parents to buy it for me. Like many little boys, I was enamored by soldiers, and would pour over the book again and again, entranced by the colorful European dress uniforms worn by the motley bunch of soldiers who were assembling, loading, and preparing to fire a cannon. Each one was distinctive, and I was particularly fond of Sergeant Chowder (who brought the powder), a gruff looking peg-legged fellow ...more
Kathryn
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is probably a 3 for my enjoyment level but I have to bump it up because it's so memorable.

This was my first time reading it as an adult and I was struck by the final illustration of Drummer Hoff; very powerful seeing the cannon covered in cobwebs and flowers, birds and butterflies. That said, I don't think I noticed it as a kid so it seems like a subtle message to me. It's based on a folk song so perhaps the Emberleys were adding their own views there at the end.

While this is not destined
Paul  Hankins
The 1968 Caldecott Award winner. I found this at a garage sale of a retiring educator a couple of years ago and this title has sat on a downstairs bookshelf until I decided to go back and read these award winners this weekend.

Delightful verse about the hierarchy of people who give orders until the eventual firing of the cannon by Drummer Hoff. Colorful woodcuts make up the illustrations that are a feast for the eyes.

This might work well in a writer workshop if the prompt involved many people in
Brielle
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was about war. All of the members of the war were missing an arm, leg, or were wearing an eye patch. At the end of the book they blew themselves up because they stood in front of the cannon. At the end of the book nature took over. I liked this book but I feel that it would be confusing for a young reader to understand the message behind the book.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Ever come across a book and remember that it was one of your favorites as a child? This book was in a used book store and it hit me...BOOM! Like a cannon ball of memory - taking me back to a time when my grandfather first read it to me.
Mary
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is based off of an old folk verse. Told with vibrant illustrations, it tells the story of the construction of a cannon. Each soldier has something different to contribute, which intertwines a beautiful lesson of social-emotional learning, history, and poetry. The story starts off small and gradually builds to convey a bigger picture.

“General Border
Brought the powder,
Corporal Farrell
Brought the
Lisa Brown
A fun read aloud, perfect for babies, toddlers, and young children. Filled with repetion, my kids loved to help me say all the different parts as each person was added to the story, but their favorite part was the end when "Drummer Hoff fired it off" and the got to say "Kababloom!"
Mary Haake
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mary by: Mark Haake
DRUMMER HOFF FIRRRRRED IT OFF!
KABLOOOOOM!
Crissy
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet. Love the illustrations and rhyming.
Nora
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: caldecotts
Drummer Hoff is a book written in the style of a cumulative song. It starts with Drummer Hoff, and throughout the story seven others join him, all to build and fire a cannon. They build the cannon on a grassy field, and in the end it is overgrown by flowers and plants, and birds are perched on the canon. Drummer Hoff is illustrated in a colorful mosaic style, with ornate patterns drawn within every person and object. Pages with narrative are a stark contrast to those with the characters, as they ...more
Jacklyn
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Drummer Hoff is written by Barbara Emberley and illustrated by Ed Emberley. It is a short poem about troops of soldiers who will fire off cannon. The illustrations appear to me like woodcut printing because the lines look stiff and there are many geometrical shapes. The page where they fire the cannon leaves me a strong impression. The blast forms red swirls that sweep across to another page; the loud noise of blasting is printed in bold yellow capital letters; the soldier, the carriage, the lan ...more
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
Time Machine
5.0 out of 5 stars Drummer Hoff Hits a Home Run, April 29, 2005

I found the reviews of Drummer Hoff to be very interesting, particularly the parts about what this book meant to my fellow readers in their youth. My take is a little different however. As a mom with two young children (38 months and almost 5) I am constantly looking for books of all sorts to read to them. I particularly like books that my kids love enough to memorize on their own.

In this light, Drummer Hoff is a comple
Emily Johnson
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story tells the progression of building a cannon. There are very few words as the steps are repeated and start from the beginning after each additional step is added. The illustrations are very detailed from their uniforms to the feathers on their hats. As the story retells the progression of the cannon the illustrations do as well. The line, shape and color all work together very well to create an order that represents the story well. I love the fact that the progression in the picture is ...more
Micah Bahe
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As Drummer Hoff goes through the motions of rhyming word, it also shoes how these men of war are preparing a canon. One book character is missing a limb while another character is wearing an eye patch, it is what brings this story together as the main officer is who call commands to have his men shoot the canon. The book offers colors such as shades of red, which could recommend power, anger, passion, , energy and activity; shades of blue indication passiveness, serenity and a sense of detachmen ...more
Abby
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-reads
I read a few reviews on goodreads, and a lot of people either don't like this book or think children won't like this book. I'm only 21 so I was a child and enjoyed this book in the 90s (which is not very long ago).

I loved this book as a child. The simplicity, the repetition, the color, all added to my enjoyment of it. I loved the funny names and the style of the drawings. The longer the sentence got the more I anticipated the pay-off of the canon firing. Turning the page to the firing of the can
Chaitra
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The soldiers bring something or other to fire off a cannon. They all have a part to play. The rhyme is repetitive in a House that Jack Built fashion. But the real winner is that bright artwork made of woodcuts. The end page is particularly good according to me, because the canon, which has been made to explode, is now in ruins, with flowers and butterflies running through it. Very Ozymandias.

(Another book I didn't test on my son because I read it in the library just before returning it, but I'd
Dianna
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2010: This story repeats without being annoying (it isn't too long) and demonstrates chain of events, as well as the workings of a cannon, which will always be interesting to little boys (and probably girls, too). The illustrations are to die for. Definitely a classic!

2013 update: My little girl loves this book even more than my little boy did. And I love the pictures so much.
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
Fascinating book. I really liked the illustrations, this may be a good choice for a rhythm storytime. Has a nice structure to it that seems like it would work nicely.

Very simple and short with a brief humorous bit at the end.
Book Concierge
This is a picture book for very young children, with repetitive rhymes that tell the story of a group of soldiers who build a cannon. Illustrator Ed Emberley won the Caldecott medal for his work. The vibrantly colored illustrations remind me of a psychedelic Beatles album cover!
Meltha
Another Caldecott winner, but I kept wondering sort of why. The illustrations were colorful and vaguely psychedelic, almost looking a bit like stained glass windows, but the story, a rhyming cumulative one a la The House that Jack Built, at times didn't work very well. For example, Chowder brings the powder, and Harrel or Farrel or some similar name brings a barrel. The problem is the gun powder is already in a barrel, and the barrel actually referred to is the barrel of the cannon, which actual ...more
Linda Lipko
Luscious colors pop out in reds and oranges and greens and just about every color imaginable. This Caldecott winning book does not have the pull of the message as well as the images that leap and the detail that is incredible.

One lone Drummer named Hoff seems to build a cannon, until the story builds upon the fact that it took many to assist in the final project. This is a simple tale of fact needed for all to remember.
Matthew Hunter
Drummer Hoff won the Caldecott Medal in 1968, only two years before I was born. So how did I miss encountering this one till now. It's excellent based on the psychedelic illustrations alone. Add in a subtle anti-war message - nature reasserting itself over a weapon of war - and Drummer Hoff enters my proverbial wheelhouse. Simple, elegant, thought-provoking. The kids and I loved it.
Elizabeth
The pictures were lovely...but I need a plot. A story of SOMETHING. Rhyming is fun, and learning happened - so the kids were happy. But I need MORE.
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
There's a name for rhymes that accumulate like this, but I don't remember it. the Offspring enjoyed it enormously.
Robert Davis
**** Caldecott Medal (1968) ****

A book I vividly remember from childhood. Maybe one of the best childrens books ever written.
Kristi
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: exam-1
Drummer Hoff is spirited retelling of a folk verse by Barbara Emberley. The inside flap of the book indicates that it is illustrated by Ed Emberley using brightly colored wood cuts that reflect the energy and age of the story. It is likely that this style was chosen to complement the traditional folk style of the story. It was awarded the Caldecott Medal in 1968 for these illustrations. Every wood cut is ornate and portrays each character in a wide variety of intricate patterns and vibrant color ...more
Emily Stevens
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: exam-2
_Drummer Hoff_ by Barbara Emberley in 1968. I enjoyed this book quite a bit, and although the words were simple and the story did not really have much of a meaning behind it, the illustrations were so colorful and eye-catching. To me, these colorful illustrations look like they may be woodcut and stamped onto the paper. The illustrations are full of lines going in different directions, and the outline of all of them is not exactly perfect, which is why I think that is the medium used. The flaps ...more
Alexis Beaver
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: exam-2
"Drummer Hoff" was published in 1967 and won the Caldecott Medal for its illustrations in 1968. This book is a super fun read for any age group that also contains super detailed and intricate illustrations. These illustrations were done in a folk style because of the traditional and historical aspect about them. The illustrations were created using ink coloring, and in a special way she was able to make them as vibrant and beautiful as they are. My favorite aspect about this book, as I am sure i ...more

• A Story, a Story
  • The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship
  • Duffy and the Devil
  • White Snow, Bright Snow
  • One Fine Day
  • Anatole and the Cat (Anatole, #2)
  • Once a Mouse...