Start by marking “Remaking Manhood: The Modern Masculinity Movement: Stories From the Front Lines of Change” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  33 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Good Men Project Executive Editor Mark Greene’s articles on masculinity and manhood have received over 100,000 FB shares and 10 million page views. Remaking Manhood is a collection of Greene’s most powerful articles on American culture, relationships, family and parenting. It is a timely and balanced look at the issues at the heart of the modern masculinity movement.

Gree
Published December 15th 2014 by ThinkPlay Partners

To ask other readers questions about Remaking Manhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remaking Manhood

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Remaking Manhood: The Modern Masculinity Movement: Stories From the Front Lines of Change
Aurélien Thomas
Mark Greene is the Senior Editor of The Good Man Project (https://goodmenproject.com). He gathers here a few of his essays, in what turned out to be a very short and straightforward read (barely 153 pages!).

His point has been made by others already, but it needs to be nailed: our view that a man should be tough has often been distorted by what we oftentimes really mean by 'tough'. We have indeed been encouraging men, ever since they have been children, to blunt their emotions, a toxic process wh
Anchit
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book! It has a bunch of articles by various people who are involved in the "Good men project".

Except for a few articles which were triggering for me, I found the rest of them to be a fresh perspective on the whole idea of masculinity and what is limited in our current ideas about it. I went through a few chapters and would love to pick up this book again after a while.

This book attempts to define masculinity in a more positive, healthier way that is beneficial to society and to men
Thomas G.
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mark Greene is a man of many words, each chosen carefully for maximum impact. His new book, Remaking Manhood, is a collection of his essays published on The Good Men Project, and while each chapter stands alone, together they constitute a strong voice for men and an even stronger call to break the Man Box and remake masculinity into a force that constructively supports the lives of both men and women. Greene recounts and draws wisdom from the chapters of his life—from his early boyhood to becomi ...more
Michael-David Sasson
While I'm not sure I'd qualify these conversations and social processes as a movement, Greene has some insightful and useful things to say. I don't agree with all of them but that very fact might make this a more gentle on-ramp for men not trained as feminists.
And men talking about emotional intimacy, inner suffering, parenting, and joy... I vote yes.
Charlie Zada
Apr 16, 2020 rated it liked it
While it was good, it definitely fails to consider socio-political dimensions such as being a Man of Color, queer or disabled. These are dimensions that can't really be excluded while talking about concepts such as masculinity. While he has some good takes, some points veer a bit too close to the uncomfortable realm of victim/woman blaming.

Still a good book overall
Bowen Dwelle
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: men, for-men
outstanding!
Alice
This is the first 'compassionate' book about toxic masculinity that I have read, and as a beginner to this area of thinking I found it accessible, informative and leaving me wanting to learn more. Some of Greene's particularly interesting perspectives were those about the intractable relationship between masculinity studies and feminism, men with (and as) babies, and male friendships - all presented in well-written narrative against the backdrop of his own experiences as a man-person.

As someone
Aug 19, 2017
Blaine
Feb 23, 2020
Jamie Charnock
rated it did not like it
Oct 15, 2018
Dean Allsopp
Apr 14, 2015

• Extraordinary People: Understanding Savant Syndrome
  • Chiaroscuro: Poetry Translated into Italian, Spanish and French
  • Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference
  • Bullshit Jobs: A Theory
  • Keeping the Baby in Mind: Infant Mental Health in Practice
  • Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
  • Infant Observation at the Heart of Training
  • Revolt Against the Romans
  • The Oxytocin Factor: Tapping The Hormone Of Calm, Love, And Healing
  • Hello Baby! Everything new mums need to know about life with baby
  • Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent
  • Psychotherapy with Infants and Young Children: Repairing the Effects of Stress and Trauma on Early Attachment
  • Getting Through to Difficult Kids and Parents: Uncommon Sense for Child Professionals
  • Your Brain on Childhood: The Unexpected Side Effects of Classrooms, Ballparks, Family Rooms, and the Minivan
  • When the Adults Change, Everything Changes: Seismic Shifts in School Behavior
  • To Listen to a Child: Understanding the Normal Problems of Growing Up
  • Born for Love: Why Empathy Is Essential--and Endangered
  • How mothers love : and how relationships are born
Mark Greene is an Emmy Winning Animator, Author, Speaker, Parent and Senior Editor at The Good Men Project. Mark’s articles on men’s issues have been shared half a million times on social media with 20 million page views. He has written and spoken about men’s issues at Salon, Shriver Report, Huffington Post, HLN, and the New York Times. A collection of Mark’s articles on modern masculinity have be ...more

News & Interviews

“When I see any women walking down the street, avoiding all eye contact, I feel a deep sense of empathy.” 3 likes
“Please, choose to be a traditional American man if that is how you want to perform masculinity, that's fine. But it’s not the only way to be a man. There are many ways. Too many to count. And in the moment you ditch the part of the Man Box that says everyone has to be like you, you free all of us. Men, women and children. And you free yourself.” 2 likes